• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Ranger and the Kidnapped Riolu! (2) (540)

LegendaryGarchomp

Lol did anyone notice what seemed like a play on Final Fantasy III (DS) where they're riding on Dodrio instead of chocobos and the music sounded almost the same. (I believe in the game it was in the mini-movie at the beginning of the game) They seem to be focusing on ash's aura in this episode as well. I wonder what it means?!?

katfairy

Is it just me over-analyzing again, or is Hunter J a bit of a sociopath?

On a more technical note, a few times both the art and the animation seemed a bit off. Early on there was a shot of Brock that looked like a first draft by a newbie, and more than once the landscape didn't flow by as smoothly as usual.

It was an interesting episode, though, and I hope this plot point won't go the way of the GS ball. On the other hand, I hope they don't pull a Ranma or a DBZ on the Aura, either; it's fine as an occasional plot point, but letting it become a major part of the show (like the chi-blasts in Ranma and the Kamehameha in DBZ) would be a major mistake. It would be nice to see a show where a major character developed paranormal abilities and didn't become an angst-bunny/drama-llama or get seduced by the dark side.

Kenpachi

Flawless Technique
Is it just me over-analyzing again, or is Hunter J a bit of a sociopath?
I noticed it too.
When she zapped Riolu, all she had to do was pick it up and fly away.
Instead, she orders a hyper beam directly at Ash, oh but that isn't enough.
She than tries to burn him, and her Drapion looked like it was trying to squeeze
the life out of him. Than she throws him off her ship from so high up.
Hunter J is out for blood!!!
(There must be something wrong with me, I find myself getting turned on by this psycho)

Hey, whatever happened to that other evil group?
The scientist guys with the Drowzee, I wonder if we'll see them again, why did they want Riolu?

Last edited:

Genome

pro-SHARK WEEK
Hey, did anyone else pick up on this? When Ash first sensed Riolu's aura, J gave Riolu a strange look. Might it be possible she sensed something, or was it just coincidence?
Take this with a grain of salt, it was probably done for dramatic effect.
Kenpachi said:
(There must be something wrong with me, I find myself getting turned on by this psycho)
It's the psychos who are the attractive ones.

Ugh, I hope I didn't steal that from Batman & Robin.

Ayra

~Master Coordinator~
You've got to admit, J is hot. Still, I found it amazing, that Riolu could tell Ash where he is using its Aura, even when it was frozen. It was a really sweet episode.

~Ayra~;267;

Ashy Boy

Paul's #1 Rival
I guess Hunter J is ruthless to both humans and pokemon alike, after what she almost did to Ash.

Still, the episode was really good especially with the battles and the music

Cobalt_Latios

After having finally bothered to watch this (what is it with me lately watching episodes late?), I gotta say I rather enjoyed it. There were some things that kind of irked me, but only in a comedic way. Hard to explain.

I guess Hunter J is ruthless to both humans and pokemon alike, after what she almost did to Ash.
After everything he's foiled from her, I don't really blame her.

The music seemed like a collection of all-star tracks from the movies prior to Sinnoh. Movie 5, 8, and 9 were all represented in this special.
Mostly from movie 8 and 9 though.

I'm just dis appointed that I'ave been pronouncing its name wrong the whole time.
How were you pronouncing him to begin with?

A few things I noticed: Apparently, Dawn has a blonde moment; sending Pachirisu against a group of Pokemon that almost all have ground type as a second type. Oy, thank goodness Pachirisu didn't attack. I would have mocked her then.

You know, that one scene where Ash is being crushed by Drapion? I knew it was big, but this thing was huge! I did find it funny that Ash kicks it in the eye, then falls into a conveniently placed trap door; one that disappears after activating. Neat.

It was weird that the animators used CG to animate J's ship. Sure, it's something very imposing, but I'm not sure if CG was best use. Oh wel.

Blastoise using Rain Dance, as that's it's field move in Ranger.

Team Rocket's balloon is surprisingly combustible; it lightly hits J's ship and explodes.

Apparently, J leaves only when she's paid. Doesn't matter if her client is in trouble, it don't concern her.

Riolu canceling Hyper Beam: not surprising, if Lucario could push it back, then Riolu's Aura Sphere should be just enough to do something similar.

Eh, that about does it.

~C_L~

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I don't have much to say about part two, but I did enjoy the two-parter. It was nice seeing Solana again, but at least they didn't have her using that capture styler and just limited it to the guy with the faster one. Like I said in my review for part one, the full capture animation got repetitive and annoying.

Let's hope for more appearances by J in the future.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Actually, when Kellyn was saying Batonnage, I don't think he REALLY said it. After I've played the game, Kellyn might've said instead, "Vatonage". That's what it is in the games, I believe.

Genome

pro-SHARK WEEK
A few things I noticed: Apparently, Dawn has a blonde moment; sending Pachirisu against a group of Pokemon that almost all have ground type as a second type. Oy, thank goodness Pachirisu didn't attack. I would have mocked her then.
What do they call it in this show? Aim 4 da horn?
You know, that one scene where Ash is being crushed by Drapion? I knew it was big, but this thing was huge! I did find it funny that Ash kicks it in the eye, then falls into a conveniently placed trap door; one that disappears after activating. Neat.
Proportions are always interesting to look at. The most absurd one I've seen recently I believe was that colossal Zangoose VS Chimchar from the tournament.
It was weird that the animators used CG to animate J's ship. Sure, it's something very imposing, but I'm not sure if CG was best use. Oh wel.
It's like those Combees. They just like showing off to the kids. It works as a great attention getter in animation.
Blastoise using Rain Dance, as that's it's field move in Ranger.
It looks like Blastoise's Hydro Cannon quite a lot, doesn't it?

the1stpkmnfan said:
Actually, when Kellyn was saying Batonnage, I don't think he REALLY said it. After I've played the game, Kellyn might've said instead, "Vatonage". That's what it is in the games, I believe.
The pokemon.com summary used the word Vatonage. It sounds like a mobile phone network.

Cobalt_Latios

The pokemon.com summary used the word Vatonage. It sounds like a mobile phone network.
Haha, Vonage.

Although, the way he said it made it sound french... which I would normally be agreeing with, if not for the fact that it'd be more pronounced like "batton". Although, I don't remember if Batonage had one or two "t"'s in it.

~C_L~

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
"Vatonage"? What does that even mean, I ask you?

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
In Ranger 2 atleast, it's some term that means "to release a heart from Darkness" or something.

What do they call it in this show? Aim 4 da horn?
Never really got why people got so on that, especially as 1) It worked 2) In a series not limited by things such as game balance, it really isn't that cheap.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Well, I know Batonnage in Japan means "Catch", I believe. So I believe you Korobooshi Kojiro for Vantonage.

Slowking[George]

#SPP-WiFi HOP
I loved it when Staravia burst open those tyres. I also hated Hunter J even more after this episode.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
I hope Hunter J finally gets stopped by Ash, but who knows when that episodes gonna arrive. hopefully before The Dialga and Palkia anime appearences.

edit: Rank Up! Wow, Im already entering the new region...Hoenn. Time to become an Advanced Trainer...