• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Ratings (BW:DA! returns to top 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickHoenn

Banned
Pokémon Ratings (Decolora Adventure!)

Good news for Pokémon Best Wishes Season 2: DA!, the anime returns to the top 10 after 4 week absence.

http://www.anmtvla.com/2013/06/audiencia-de-los-animes-en-la-tv_13.html

Episode: The Pirate Kings of the Decolora Archipelago! aired on June 6, 2013.

1. Sazae-san: 17,3
2. Chibi Maruko-chan: 10,3
3. Doraemon: 9,7
4. Crayon Shin-chan: 8,1
5. One Piece: 7,9
6. Detective Conan: 7,2
7. Dokidoki! Precure: 5,5
8. Toriko: 4,9
9. Pokémon Best Wishes! Season 2: 4,0
10. Curious George: 4,0
11. Uchū Kyōdai: 4,0

A three way tie at 9-11.

Pokémon is still highest rated anime on TV Tokyo and I didn't know Curious George (which counts as "animation") was so popular in Japan lol

Hopefully the Butterfree episode had nice ratings as well. :D

Trivia:

"The Pirate Kings of the Decolora Archipelago!" is just the 2nd episode from BWS2DA! arc to enter the top 10 after "The Dangerously Sweet Honey!" aired on May 2, 2013.

Last edited:

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
Wow, its rating is more impressive than Da itself :p
Sazae-san is HIGH! How do most of the lower rated shows survive? O_O

LizardonX

Banned
I had no idea the monkey was so popular either.

RickHoenn

Banned

Pokémon is still doing great, I mean top 10 over a sea of animation in Japan. :p I was really worried because Pokémon spent a whole month out of the top 10 but I suppose it was between 11-15 frame all that time, there's only top 10 info.

There are other popular shows like Hunter X Hunter and Naruto Shippuden below top 10 and they're still going on.

Merchandising and selling stuff is also key.

Hopefully X & Y hype will get Pokémon into the top 10 until 6 gen anime premieres in October.

Last edited:

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
But compared to Sazae-san, though...that show's ratings blew me away

BlueDragonfangirl

Thats not true, ratings for some reason due matter this series or else they wouldn't keep pulling all these Kanto flashbacks or fan favorites Pokemon. Looks like its working too, maybe they won't do any thing like BW series ever again now *Few*

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
Ratings don't really matter for Pokemon anyway.

True, and the ratings for the anime overall have dropped with each generation since interest in Pokemon has been dying down.

Kanto had better ratings than Johto, which had better ratings than Hoenn, which had better ratings than Sinnoh, which had better ratings than Unova....you get my drift.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Thats not true, ratings for some reason due matter this series or else they wouldn't keep pulling all these Kanto flashbacks or fan favorites Pokemon. Looks like its working too, maybe they won't do any thing like BW series ever again now *Few*

The fan service isn't working though. I mean the Charizard episode that had tons of hype got a lower rating than the Ampharos filler from Episode N, which had little hype by comparison (5.1 for the former and 5.5 for the latter). And the recent Butterfree episode might not get a good rating since it only featured flashbacks of Ash's Butterfree and not the real thing.

By the way, does anyone know what rating the recent Oshawott episode got? My usual source doesn't have any DA episode ratings aside from the second episode for some reason.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member

Sazae-san is a family show that's been running for 30+ years, and can be described as a mix of The Simpsons and Peanuts. Cute, innocent fun for the entire family. It gets the ratings it does because everyone watches it. Nothing can compete with that, and definitely not animated toy commercials aimed at 6-10 year olds.
"Lower rated shows" survive because they're still getting a lot of viewers.

In this day and age, broadcast television is nowhere near as popular as in the past, which is the reason for the "falling ratings", not anything the show itself does. And even if it was, 4,0% are still amazing ratings most shows would kill to get. Pokemon is doing very well, and sitting there comparing ratings from years ago, looking at exact positions on some top 10 list... is just doing it wrong. Pokemon is up in the position it's always had, it's doing as well as always compared to other shows, and it's not getting "low ratings" in any meaning of the word. Whether it manages to get onto some top 10 list in any given week or not is not really relevant, and has absolutely nothing to do with any "lacking qualities". If you need to blame something, blame Toriko's inflated viewerbase from it airing right after One Piece, or Space Brothers' new and better time slot, or something. But sitting there and complaining about "how the show is doing badly" just shows you don't understand these lists.

I mean the Charizard episode that had tons of hype.

It had absolutely no hype whatsoever. What on earth are you talking about?

Last edited:

Matsuyamakun

Nice to see Pokemon returns to the top 10.Still 4.0 isn't good enough.Surely ratings will boost a lot when XY anime starts.But if they reset Ash again (try to catch pokemon without battling, losing all tournaments, losing to noob trainers etc.), I am afraid XY ratings will be even lower than BW series in the long run.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!

You know absolutely nothing about ratings if you think that's true. Pokemon doesn't rely on ratings, it mainly relies on merchandising. The writers could care less about ratings as long as their merchandise continues to turn a heavy profit. Even then the ratings for the show in this day and age are still incredibly good. The writers aren't marketing this show to grown adults on an Internet forum, they're marketing it to children. I can almost assure you they aren't pulling any "fan favorites" for your sake. They're doing so because they can and nothing other reason, the writers don't pander to you or care to be honest. Do you actually think the writers give a **** about the thoughts of English-speaking fanatics on a Pokemon board? You overestimate the size of the fandom if you think they actually care what any of us think, I seriously doubt they're even aware we exist in any case. Pokemon isn't even a show watched for its content, people just tone in and tone out and the only thing that spikes these ratings are when the show hold an event like a double airing(Roxie Battle) or when the episodes are given a heavy amount of advertisement beforehand. Even then ratings don't measure certain statistics of viewers anyway. Pokemon measures increments of viewers ages 6-11, 9-14, 2-11, 7-13 and 2-13 and most on this forums aren't in that target audience. I'm almost positive most fans on here don't watch the show on TV anyway.

Sometimes I wonder if fans do any form of research before they make concocted, cooked up fallacious claims and conspiracy theories. Like Dephender said, most fans don't know what the hell they're talking about anyway.

When Charmed says hype, he means "on the forum" which doesn't a thing.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Ratings don't really matter, although its kind of interesting that the more popular characters in the series were around while the ratings were more impressive.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

...It was Charizard's return episode. Tons of Charizard merchandise was released leading up to that episode and Charizard's return itself was hinted to in several Episode N posters. I may have been wrong about Charizard not returning before, but I think it's obvious that there was a lot of hype for that episode; even if it hadn't been Ash's Charizard, you cannot deny that there was a lot of hype, moreso than the Ampharos episode or any other Episode N filler received. It's low rating is unfortunate, but at least it shows that fan service doesn't always work.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Ratings may not be as relevant as some people think, but they still are useful to have an idea of how the show is received.

However, the anime is only the tip of the humongous iceberg known as Pokémon. As long as the games and toys sell, ratings don't really matter.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
...It was Charizard's return episode. Tons of Charizard merchandise was released leading up to that episode and Charizard's return itself was hinted to in several Episode N posters. I may have been wrong about Charizard not returning before, but I think it's obvious that there was a lot of hype for that episode; even if it hadn't been Ash's Charizard, you cannot deny that there was a lot of hype, moreso than the Ampharos episode or any other Episode N filler received. It's low rating is unfortunate, but at least it shows that fan service doesn't always work.
Charizard got merchandise but that's not the same as hype, Dragonite got a lot of merchandise but that's not the same as hype.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
...It was Charizard's return episode. Tons of Charizard merchandise was released leading up to that episode and Charizard's return itself was hinted to in several Episode N posters. I may have been wrong about Charizard not returning before, but I think it's obvious that there was a lot of hype for that episode.

Saying "Lizardon returns... at some point. Maybe. Well, it'll be in the movie, at least" is not "creating hype for one specific episode".

Its quite surprising to me that Pokemon is still pulling such a high rating after all these years. Other shows are doing the same too but it is quite different for Pokemon cause it is not a continuous series like Doraemon or Maruko-chan.

I have watched all these shows in the past except for Toriko and must admit each one of them deserve their spot except for maybe One Piece (never liked it, too shonen for me).

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Its quite surprising to me that Pokemon is still pulling such a high rating after all these years. Other shows are doing the same too but it is quite different for Pokemon cause it is not a continuous series like Doraemon or Maruko-chan.

I have watched all these shows in the past except for Toriko and must admit each one of them deserve their spot except for maybe One Piece (never liked it, too shonen for me).

You act like no new kids are born. The majority of those ratings come from new 6-11 year olds first getting into pokemon now.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
You act like no new kids are born. The majority of those ratings come from new 6-11 year olds first getting into pokemon now.

Actually, isn't the birth rate in Japan dropping?

Status
Not open for further replies.