• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Ratings (BW:DA! returns to top 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janovy

Banned
Why is this surprising now? We knew this back in 2003 when Pokemon continued after the fact died in Johto.
Because certain people need reminders that Pokémon is still far from dying and this here is a strong reminder.

Janovy

Banned
Pokémon would still survive even if the numbers were really low because the main series games consistently sell over 10 million copies.
Which makes me question why people claim Pokémon is having super low ratings and stuff. :/

Which makes me question why people claim Pokémon is having super low ratings and stuff. :/

BS reasons, I have no clue.

If it makes the Top 10 every week, people really shouldn't worry. It's like the argument people make with American Idol. Yeah, it lost several million viewers but it's still in the Top 10 every week. You could make the same argument with Pokémon.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
The games are far better than the anime. It helps a lot.

That's true too, but given that the survey was hosted by Bandai (a toy company), I think it's obvious that the kids who voted did so with Pokemon toys in mind. So it doesn't really prove much about the show's popularity. It seems like a reach to say that Bandai's survey is more relevant than the show's ratings.

If it makes the Top 10 every week, people really shouldn't worry. It's like the argument people make with American Idol. Yeah, it lost several million viewers but it's still in the Top 10 every week. You could make the same argument with Pokémon.

Except Pokemon doesn't make the top ten every week, hence the OP's excitement that Pokemon returned to the top ten after it missed out for a month.

By the way, I'm not sure that the American rating system is the same as the one used in Japan.

Last edited:
By the way, I'm not sure that the American rating system is the same as the one used in Japan.

Even Top 20 is good for a show that's been on as long as Pokémon. A show like The Simpsons can't brag about that.

I don't know how the ratings system work either, but the point I am making is that American Idol and Pokémon were both behemoths at one time and even though they lost viewers, they are both doing extremely well. American Idol, I felt was a good comparison.

http://sonofthebronx.blogspot.com/

This is a great site I found to show how Pokémon is doing in the U.S. Pokémon has a much greater chance of getting cancelled on CN before it gets cancelled in Japan honestly.

Last edited:

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
This are the causes of why the ratings has dropped too much in Best Wishes related to poast sagas. Please, I don't want complaining even if some things that I say could be complaints about Best Wishes.
-For the ratings of Da: doing a filler saga at the end with no plot whatsever. No casuality that the bad ratings started when DA was announced.
-The extremely quick pacing of BW has a effect on the series and it appears to be negative because the series end too early.
-Ash's reset at the start of BW. It was too heavy. Remember, there are kids of 8, 9, 10 years that in two weeks Ash goes from defeating legendaries to being a rookie again.
-Changing TR personality from funny to serious The DP personality wasn't the best and they should be more serious. But there is a difference in having seriousness and another is doing big missions with TR executives. and the boss. Olde fans could like but newer fans aren't. And less in the spam of two weeks.
-The banning of TR vs TP: people were hyped from those episodses and suddenly, out. They are waiting, waiting to see the episodes and they didn't, didn't air, air. Remember that the Plasma episodes was a very hyped episode of the franchise that we don't see them. Also, the show was changing schedules various times through the month (remember that people in Japan used to know every episode with antellation).
-Lack of fanservice of the main girl. It's difficult to Iris to do fanservice with her. For me, is too kiddy that I have issues with it. The other femeale character had fanservice in them, and althjough they supposed to be 10o, they don't look 10 for me (I see comparison of Dawn and Iris from the Onix episode and except in height Dawn looks 12 (like Platinum age) and Iris loos 10). That explains why the writers don't want that Iris go into a swimsuit, for example. It's more minor for children.
-Lack of a role for the female audience. A girly role give possibilities to attract the female audience. Iris doesn't attract the audience like May and Dawn did.
-The League. I don't meed to explain why this could be a cause of this.
-The team being in stand-by right now with no changes. I wonder if the wroiters has plans to skipe episodes in some TPCi countries because the team is really boring right now with no changes.
-And the fact that the series has to be like a rebbot. I'm almost sure that this problem are affecting ratings. Because remember that because the Bw games, everything in this series should have no continuity with DP and should be like iof the series has just started. uThese feeling caused peoiople to stop watching.

Given the situation, I list what I see and what I don't see. At least, until Pokemon Fan.
I see:
-Heavy proimotion of XY. Alexa being in the last episodes of BW is a big step in that direction.
-Doing things only for the sake of marketing. Transform the show into a toy market to promote the merchandise.
-(Already happened). Reverting Team Rocket back into their funny mode.
-Don't try to reset Ash again. Given the facts, It's almost guaranteed that Ash won't be reset for XY.

I see but depends of Game Freak approve, is too risky. However, if the anime does it, is doing the biggest ratings stunt.
-Older characters that they left before return for the XY saga as a expense of new characters (or not, quartet) because that said chartacter is too popularl. Is a safe value to the writers to bring a popular character rather than a unknown character. When thatg character has left more recently and they are doiung with the promotion more rare things between the leave and the return, more possibilities of return. And no, Misty isn't the first.

What I don't see happening with ratings of 3s.
-Doing exactly like BW in everything. They aren't repeating a fail.
-Booting Ash and Pikachu. When things are worse, Ash/Pikachu keeps the show in air, Make leave those iconic characters is the worst decidion ever made.
-For the moment and wiuth those ratings, i don't see the show getting cancelled until 2015, at least. And specially if this show is in the Top 3 of TV Tokyo most rated anime shows.

I want to give out this page:
wiki.xn--rckteqa2e.com/wiki/アニメのサブタイトル一覧
Go carefully, and compare ratings. You will see the difference betyween DP and BW.

Janovy

Banned
Who cares? Pokémon is still super popular in Japan.

Lorde

http://sonofthebronx.blogspot.com/

This is a great site I found to show how Pokémon is doing in the U.S. Pokémon has a much greater chance of getting cancelled on CN before it gets cancelled in Japan honestly.

I guess I've been lied to then, because I was told that Pokemon was the highest rated anime in the United States. But those figures don't lie. I mean even some Tom & Jerry re-runs got better ratings than Pokemon, although I suppose it's not a fair comparison given that Tom & Jerry has been on air for like half a century and is the epitome of an iconic animated program. But this is still interesting.

I want to give out this page:
wiki.xn--rckteqa2e.com/wiki/アニメのサブタイトル一覧
Go carefully, and compare ratings. You will see the difference betyween DP and BW.

I agree with everything else that you said, and even though you have receipts to back up your claim about BW having lower ratings than DP, I don't think those ratings will convince anyone. I mean whenever I point out the same thing I usually get responses like "the anime's ratings are always falling," which is ironic given that it's usually the same people who defend the anime by claiming that it's doing fine. Well if it's fine, then why do the ratings keep falling with each consecutive saga? I don't understand.

Janovy

Banned
I agree with everything else that you said, and even though you have receipts to back up your claim about BW having lower ratings than DP, I don't think those ratings will convince anyone. I mean whenever I point out the same thing I usually get responses like "the anime's ratings are always falling," which is ironic given that it's usually the same people who defend the anime by claiming that it's doing fine. Well if it's fine, then why do the ratings keep falling with each consecutive saga? I don't understand.
Check out my previous post which contains the receipt proving that Pokémon anime is one of the most popular anime series in Japan.

At this point, ratings really don't matter - for all we know, the ratings might go up in XY - who knows.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member

As has already been explained, people watch less broadcast TV in general today than they did 4 years ago. And much less than they did 8 years ago, let alone 16.

The show isn't going anywhere. Ratings don't matter for series like these, their purpose is to advertise merchandise. Dragonball Kai got very high ratings, up there with One Piece, but was canceled for being a financial failure - people may have tuned in to watch the series live, but they didn't run out and buy Dragonball toys afterwards like they were expected to.

And this isn't even taking into account that recording the show and watching it later - a common practice these days - won't affect ratings. If you don't watch the show live as it airs, you don't count as watching.

Last edited:

RickHoenn

Banned
Ratings matter, it helps promoting games, toys, merchandising, etc. Saying it does not matter AT ALL it's going too far, then why make the anime that requires $$$ they don't do things for waste, it's all business, guys.

Fer92 made some good points and I think the writers are taking notes, the Pokémon anime has never been before a full month out of the top 10 most watched anime in its 16 year run.

I see a drastic change coming in X & Y anime, I think it'll will revert back to be a plot-driven story like D&P was, we'll have to wait and see anyway..

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Ratings matter, it helps promoting games, toys, merchandising, etc. Saying it does not matter AT ALL it's going too far, then why make the anime that requires $$$ they don't do things for waste, it's all business, guys.

Fer92 made some good points and I think the writers are taking notes, the Pokémon anime has never been before a full month out of the top 10 most watched anime in its 16 year run.

I see a drastic change coming in X & Y anime, I think it'll will revert back to be a plot-driven story like D&P was, we'll have to wait and see anyway..
Pokemon's storyline doesn't change its ratings, the amount of advertisement it gets does. They could make the best written Pokemon series ever in XY and that wouldn't change the ratings trend. And no, they really don't matter. TV TOKYO's main concern isn't commercial money, it's merchandising rights they get at as a first party broadcaster of Pokemon anime.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Am I the only one that thinks that the ratings have barely any relevance to the plot whatsoever and people are exaggerating how 'the ratings are going up because of ..." or they're going down because of... . I won't deny that Charizard or Butterfree is a possible fanservice device, but to be honest, Fairy Tail uses a lot of fanservice devices, and is it going poorly?

IMO I think the ratings are only going up because of possibly summer vacation? They have their summer vacation around now or July IIRC.

AND OMG GO CONAN GO CONAN!!!! <3

Lorde

I agree. I'm fairly certain that the network and/or studio makes less money if less people watch the show, so BW's low ratings must be hitting them hard imo. I really hope something changes in the next saga so that the ratings steadily climb, but I can't see the writers changing their formula. I mean it's obviously not working, but they probably can't be bothered to make alterations. It's sad, but I think they'll continue doing things the old fashioned way until they're forced to end the show. They just can't seem to adapt to the times.

Janovy

Banned
I'm pretty sure the sales provide them with a plenty of money, otherwise they wouldn't be advertising the games, plushies, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.