• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Ratings (BW:DA! returns to top 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janovy

Banned
Unless the anime start to get 2s and secially 1s for a long time in the start of Gen VI, the anime will last at least one more generation.
No. As long as the games go strong so will the anime - ratings don't matter.

Janovy

Banned
And it's pretty much impossible for games like Mario and Pokémon not to sell.
Exactly. Pokémon anime exists to advertise the games and toys and since they're selling super well - they must be doing their job well.

sandy ketchum

The highest rating that pokemon got on tv tokyo is 17.7 for episodes 35 36 and 37.

fitzy909

Just another guy
Exactly. Pokémon anime exists to advertise the games and toys and since they're selling super well - they must be doing their job well.

yeah. the anime is just a way of advertising the merchandise. if the games keep on selling the anime will keep on airing. the ratings are less than important.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Do you actually think more than 4% of human beings in Japan with television would be tuned in to watch one TV show at a specific time?

Not only with television, with their television on. It's different. They calculate the statistics by calculating the percentage of the people watching the various TV shows during a specific time frame. And considering that the anime used to have around 12~8% of share, that means that the attention of the people in Japan is geared toward other shows. And what does that cause? Less income, which may cause a drop of quality.

Sure, the Pokémon franchise doesn't rely only on the anime (it makes money mostly from the videogames and gadgets), but I think that the fact that the show gains less money is the cause of the greater use of stock animation and the use of objects easier to animate present in BW, and if it keeps that way then we have to expect a lot of stock animation in XY as well. At least that's my theory.

Last edited:

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
No. As long as the games go strong so will the anime - ratings don't matter.

True. And even if the games weren't as strong, and even if the ratings go 99% down, most fans will still watch Pokemon, and still enjoy it, so ratings have no influence.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Unless the ratings completely divebomb horribly, the anime will forever be on as long ad the games are still made.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
You also have to keep in mind that Decolora Adventures is specifically a filler arc, and for it to attract less attention than the main arc is pretty much expected.

RickHoenn

Banned
True. And even if the games weren't as strong, and even if the ratings go 99% down, most fans will still watch Pokemon, and still enjoy it, so ratings have no influence.

If ratings fall 99% the anime will probably be cancelled, I mean it will have a 0.1 audience lol but that won't happen.

Pokémon is not the case, 4.0 is a great number and the anime is top 10 every other week, so there's nothing to worry about.

I'd like for X & Y anime ratings to improve from BW tho.

...waiting for Butterfree ep #s to come out. :eek:

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Ratings don't matter. That's why every new saga does worse than the previous. Johto having high ratings is only because of the fad.

RickHoenn

Banned
If Pokémon X & Y anime ratings improve from Best Wishes that'll break the pattern, I hope so.

Fairplay

Well to be honest. Ratings are falling with each season/new adventure no? Although the anime still won't end, as the ratings are far more than acceptable. Imagine a Fairy Tail scenario, when the anime is experiencing a 1.0 rating share which won't bring anything to the broadcaster. Then they will cancel the anime (e.g. Fairy Tail, Bleach and so on).

Pokemon was never a strong anime plotwise. So maybe they can finally remove the main protagonist and start a reboot of the anime franchise... And maybe make it more mature (e.g. the Black/White 2 games anime clips). So that they could also reach the older pokemon fanbases. But guess not.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
If I'm not mistaken, the number is the percentage of people with a on TV watching that show and is also known as share. So basically 4.0 means that 4% of the total audience was watching that program.

...that's actually a bit worse than I thought, but still 4.0 isn't a bad number.

So the highest rated episode, which was something like 18.6 last time I checked, was viewed by about 18% of Japanese's television-owning population then? Wow, that's a lot. I mean when you compare 18.6 to 4.0, you really get a sense of how the ratings have fallen. Also, I don't know where this nonchalant idea that "the ratings don't matter" or that the "games will still sell" comes from. I mean okay there's some truth to the latter, but by that logic does the anime really matter then? If it exists only to promote aspects of the games and such, yet it has bad ratings meaning that less people watch it, should it even still be airing? It seems like a waste if most people would still buy the video games regardless.

Someone already explained that ratings are a percentage of people who own a television and watch the show. If the recent episode got a rating of 4.0, that's equivalent to 4% of Japanese people who own televisions watching the show. So do you really think that if 99% of that 4% group stopped watching the program, it would still be airing?

So the highest rated episode, which was something like 18.6 last time I checked, was viewed by about 18% of Japanese's television-owning population then? Wow, that's a lot. I mean when you compare 18.6 to 4.0, you really get a sense of how the ratings have fallen. Also, I don't know where this nonchalant idea that "the ratings don't matter" or that the "games will still sell" comes from. I mean okay there's some truth to the latter, but by that logic does the anime really matter then? If it exists only to promote aspects of the games and such, yet it has bad ratings meaning that less people watch it, should it even still be airing? It seems like a waste if most people would still buy the video games anyway.

Pokémon was an absolute behemoth back then though so it's not surprising that it will take quite a fall as Pokémon because less popular. I mean the R/B/G/Y games together sold around 20 million more copies than later main gen games would sell. It's expected.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
If Pokémon X & Y anime ratings improve from Best Wishes that'll break the pattern, I hope so.

It won't. Even if X and Y is the best written saga ever, it simply won't have high ratings because kids of today have to watch the show and not older fans who long drifted out of the fandom.

catzeye

Writer's Block
Pokémon was an absolute behemoth back then though so it's not surprising that it will take quite a fall as Pokémon because less popular. I mean the R/B/G/Y games together sold around 20 million more copies than later main gen games would sell. It's expected.

This. I'm not sure why people are so surprised there is a drop in ratings this far into the Pokemon franchise.

The first gen games (and to some extent the second gen games) sold tons of copies and spawned the Pokemania. Part of the reason ratings were so high was because kids wanted everything Pokemon. Also back in the 90s more people watched TV in general since video streaming wasn't as easy as it is now. Once the fad died down during Johto we saw ratings drop from the double digits. It was inevitable. The fact that a series that was at one time a huge fad is still going strong way after all the hype and popularity is incredible.

The ratings today, although they may be only 1/4 of what the anime got in its prime are still extremely strong compared to most shows aired in Japan and around the world. Many shows would love to get the 4.0 ratings Pokemon gets these days.

There was a time when the highest rated shows had ratings 67.3 (I Love Lucy back in 1952-1953). There were other shows during that time made similar ratings as well.

In 2013 so far the show with the highest rating is NCIS with 12.3. The days where double digit ratings are the norm for shows is slowly fading into distant memory. This is pretty much across the board.

I'm not going to say that ratings don't matter because they do. Shows with good ratings get good time slots to ensure a maximum amount of viewers. They are allowed to take bigger risks and they get more support from the networks. And of course money. But Pokemon has good ratings when you consider the fad stage and the decline of people watching TV in general.

Can the anime change up its formula? Of course!
Will it make a difference in ratings? Who knows...

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
If ratings fall 99% the anime will probably be cancelled, I mean it will have a 0.1 audience lol but that won't happen.

lol you know what I mean :p Even if the ratings went down a considerably amount, as long as the show doesn't get cancelled, us fans will always be there to watch. So many people complain at Best Wishes and this filler arc, but they still watch it (ok not everyone, but most people)

Someone already explained that ratings are a percentage of people who own a television and watch the show. If the recent episode got a rating of 4.0, that's equivalent to 4% of Japanese people who own televisions watching the show. So do you really think that if 99% of that 4% group stopped watching the program, it would still be airing?

It was an exaggeration lol

LizardonX

Banned

Actually, 0.1 means ratings fell by 90%, 99 is actually 0.01
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-06-23/japan-animation-tv-ranking-june-10-16

Sadly Pokemon isn't on top 10.It seems none of character or pokemon can boost ratings, because Ash doesn't have a goal right now.I think ratings will boost a lot when XY starts.Hopefully writers won't make Ash loser trainer in XY.

What episode was this?

Status
Not open for further replies.