• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Ratings (BW:DA! returns to top 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Well to be honest. Ratings are falling with each season/new adventure no? Although the anime still won't end, as the ratings are far more than acceptable. Imagine a Fairy Tail scenario, when the anime is experiencing a 1.0 rating share which won't bring anything to the broadcaster. Then they will cancel the anime (e.g. Fairy Tail, Bleach and so on).

Pokemon was never a strong anime plotwise. So maybe they can finally remove the main protagonist and start a reboot of the anime franchise... And maybe make it more mature (e.g. the Black/White 2 games anime clips). So that they could also reach the older pokemon fanbases. But guess not.

Fairy Tail went on break because they were close to the manga not ratings. Instead of filler, they stopped until the manga is far enough for them to continue. There will never be a mature Pokemon anime.

RickHoenn

Banned
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-06-23/japan-animation-tv-ranking-june-10-16

Episode: Satoshi and Butterfree! Until the Day We Meet Again!! aired on June 13, 2013.

1. Sazae-san: 15.9
2. Crayon Shin-chan: 10.4
3. Doraemon: 9.7
4. One Piece: 8.0
5. Detective Conan: 7.4
6. Toriko: 4.9
7. Curious George: 4.7
8. Go! Go! Chuggington: 4.6
9. Dokidoki! Precure: 4.0
10. Hunter x Hunter: 4.0
11. Space Battleship Yamato 2199: 4.0

Sadly Pokémon is out of the top 10 again. :(

Only 2 episodes out of 8 have been top 10 so far in Decolora Adventure, I agree with the poster that said Ash needed a goal or a quest of some sort in this arc, Episode N had better ratings.

Sadly Pokemon isn't on top 10.It seems none of character or pokemon can boost ratings, because Ash doesn't have a goal right now.I think ratings will boost a lot when XY starts.Hopefully writers won't make Ash loser trainer in XY.

I still think DA! was a mistake, thankfully the hype for X & Y anime is starting next month.

Can someone please change the thread title just to Pokémon Ratings (Decolora Adventure!) please? :p

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-06-23/japan-animation-tv-ranking-june-10-16

Sadly Pokemon isn't on top 10.It seems none of character or pokemon can boost ratings, because Ash doesn't have a goal right now.I think ratings will boost a lot when XY starts.Hopefully writers won't make Ash loser trainer in XY.

I don't think it's fair to blame DA. I mean sure it has no real purpose, but it's just one arc. The ratings have been free falling for a while now, so it's not like DA's bad ratings come as a surprise. Although for a supposed fan service episode, it's kind of sad that the Butterfree episode didn't even get into the top ten.

Also, looking at the other shows on that list, I noticed that Crayon Shin-chan can still bring in high ratings (like the recent episode getting 10.4). It's ironic because it's been airing for more than 20 years and still has high ratings, yet Pokemon which has aired for about 15 years is already suffering mediocre ratings. Why is that? What sets these shows apart?

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I don't think it's fair to blame DA. I mean sure it has no real purpose, but it's just one arc. The ratings have been free falling for a while now, so it's not like DA's bad ratings come as a surprise. Although for a supposed fan service episode, it's kind of sad that the Butterfree episode didn't even get into the top ten.
Yeah, BW as a whole had some spotty ratings, it never seemed to be good, but wasn't quite bad as we all (well most of us anyway) made it out to be

To be fair, it's not much of a fan service episode when the Pokemon your trying to reference only appears in a flashback, which had already happened twice in DP. And it basically ended the same way as when Ash released Butterfree, except this time it wasn't his from the get go.

SlimeStack

Given how bad and reused (moreso than ever) the animation is in DA, it wouldn't surprise me if they just moved the League and N several months forward just so they could spend the last of their budget on something that isn't reused. <.< DA is pretty much just the leftover scraps.

Matsuyamakun

Also, looking at the other shows on that list, I noticed that Crayon Shin-chan can still bring in high ratings (like the recent episode getting 10.4). It's ironic because it's been airing for more than 20 years and still has high ratings, yet Pokemon which has aired for about 15 years is already suffering mediocre ratings. Why is that? What sets these shows apart?

Personally I have no problems with DA episodes.Because Ash is remembering his skills.Ash hasn't lost battle yet.Ratings started to drop after Unova League ends.I think Unova League was the worst part of BW, because it ruined Ash's 10+years development.

Last edited:

RickHoenn

Banned
Yeah, BW as a whole had some spotty ratings, it never seemed to be good, but wasn't quite bad as we all (well most of us anyway) made it out to be

To be fair, it's not much of a fan service episode when the Pokemon your trying to reference only appears in a flashback, which had already happened twice in DP. And it basically ended the same way as when Ash released Butterfree, except this time it wasn't his from the get go.

Ratings took a big tumble once Unova League and Episode N rolled around.

BWS1, BWS2 and Episode N had decent ratings overall. It's now DA! is suffering just take a look at 6 weeks out of the top 10, that never happened before.

This arc is so plotless and kids aren't here for that, my 11 year old nephew can tell you that, he loved DP (he started watching the anime since BF) and hates Best Wishes because according to him nothing ever happens.

Last edited:

Joltik-Kid

Ratings took a big tumble once Unova League and Episode N rolled around.

BWS1, BWS2 and Episode N had decent ratings overall. It's now DA! is suffering just take a look at 6 weeks out of the top 10, that never happened before.

This arc is so plotless and kids aren't here for that, my 11 year old nephew can tell you that, he loved DP (he started watching the anime since BF) and hates Best Wishes because according to him nothing ever happens.
Makes you wonder if they just gave up till X&Y...

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Although for a supposed fan service episode, it's kind of sad that the Butterfree episode didn't even get into the top ten.

People who don't watch the show on a regular basis aren't going to flock to their tvs watch an episode that wasn't advertised in the slightest no matter what the content is.
How would they know it was "a fanservice episode"?

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️

1.BW's ratings haven't been "spotty" at all.
2.The ratings, in this day in age are very good.
3.Fanservice episode, no. The writers don't pander to "older" fans, they don't even care about us. That episode was most certainly not fanservice and with no advertisement the episode won't get heavy ratings, the Homika 2-parter was advertised which is why it got such immense ratings. Advertisement effects ratings for a show like Pokemon, no the in-show content.

Sometimes I wonder if you guys know what you're talking about at all and I don't mean that in a rude way either, everything in this thread so far is nothing but simple fan rumors, theories and idealistic thinking and nothing concrete. Dephender and I are actually giving true blue stuff on how this works, everything else thus far has been simple speculation or flat-out more false than the ideas that the writers "hate" the Ononodo family.(Apparently.)

But whatever, what I say is pointless you'll continue to believe what you want to because you want to believe what you choose not what actually is true and factual. People just aren't watching TV like they used to, Naruto even has significantly lower ratings than what they did years ago for example.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
DP's ratings weren't much better than BW's. Even the most loved DP eps writing wise did not get that high ratings.

Its just the natural decline of broadcast TV. It has nothing to do with what happens in the episodes.

Joltik-Kid

Sometimes I wonder if you guys know what you're talking about at all and I don't mean that in a rude way either, everything in this thread so far is nothing but simple fan rumors, theories and idealistic thinking and nothing concrete. Dephender and I are actually giving true blue stuff on how this works, everything else thus far has been simple speculation or flat-out more false than the ideas that the writers "hate" the Ononodo family.(Apparently.)

But whatever, what I say is pointless you'll continue to believe what you want to because you want to believe what you choose not what actually is true and factual.
I don't think your being rude, but I fail to see how BW ratings aren't spotty? When one or two episodes are doing better then others, then that's spotty. If they were all at a constant or semi-equal rating, then I'd call it successful, but it's not...two parters have drawn in more of an audience then non-promoted episodes

DP's ratings weren't much better than BW's. Even the most loved DP eps writing wise did not get that high ratings.

Its just the natural decline of broadcast TV. It has nothing to do with what happens in the episodes.

Exactly this. They could combine every good aspect of the first 4 Pokémon series and create the ultimate series in XY, and we still won't see a spike in ratings.

Matsuyamakun

Latest DP episodes (I mean last 10 episodes) got better ratings than latest AG episodes.Ash didn't even use his Kanto pokemons in DP.I think DP had good ratings.

People just aren't watching TV like they used to, Naruto even has significantly lower ratings than what they did years ago for example.

Why people watch other animes (top 10 list) on TV then?

catzeye

Writer's Block
Sadly Pokémon is out of the top 10 again. :(

Only 2 episodes out of 8 have been top 10 so far in Decolora Adventure, I agree with the poster that said Ash needed a goal or a quest of some sort in this arc, Episode N had better ratings.

Not being in the Top 10 is not, I repeat, NOT going to kill the anime.

Pokemon has been a successful long runner. It's going to take a lot for it to die. A week or two (even a month) not being in the Top 10 will not hurt it.

The weekly ratings are good. A lot of shows (in Japan and across the globe) would kill to have the ratings Pokemon has right now. It's all relative. People don't watch TV like that anymore. The ratings Pokemon got in the early seasons (which was during the height of the fad), are rare nowadays except for a few very lucky shows.

Like Doryuzu and Dephender said, advertising of certain episodes have a lot of bearing into whether an episode gets a lot viewers.

Now unless the Pokemon anime suddenly drops to 0.5 ratings and it's a good when it gets a 1.0 rating, people shouldn't be as concerned.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
People who don't watch the show on a regular basis aren't going to flock to their tvs watch an episode that wasn't advertised in the slightest no matter what the content is.
How would they know it was "a fanservice episode"?

I'd say the Butterfree episode received a fair amount of promo, probably more than other DA episodes. However, you make an interesting point. People constantly say stuff like "Charizard's return episode was fan service," but if people who don't watch the anime regularly didn't know about it ahead of time, how would that fan service be effective?

Anyway, I think the X & Y saga will start with high ratings at the beginning simply because everyone loves the start of a new saga. But I'm sure the ratings will start to decrease by a large margin after about the dozenth episode or so; that's usually around the time that the new saga hype starts to wear off at least that's how it was in my case during BW. Afterwards I expect to see ratings in the 2.0's or around that area. Some may say that won't happen, but if the ratings trend holds true, it's very possible that we'll be seeing Tepig's evolution episode-esque ratings regularly in the coming years.

Now unless the Pokemon anime suddenly drops to 0.5 ratings and it's a good when it gets a 1.0 rating, people shouldn't be as concerned.

Are there any shows still on-air in Japan with ratings like those?

Matsuyamakun

Not being in the Top 10 is not, I repeat, NOT going to kill the anime.

Pokemon has been a successful long runner. It's going to take a lot for it to die. A week or two (even a month) not being in the Top 10 will not hurt it.

The weekly ratings are good. A lot of shows (in Japan and across the globe) would kill to have the ratings Pokemon has right now. It's all relative. People don't watch TV like that anymore. The ratings Pokemon got in the early seasons (which was during the height of the fad), are rare nowadays except for a few very lucky shows.

Like Doryuzu and Dephender said, advertising of certain episodes have a lot of bearing into whether an episode gets a lot viewers.

Of course some people prefer watching anime on internet too.For example Naruto isn't on top 10(Because we know the reason, most of episodes are filler right now, its ranking still high on internet).But Pokemon BW anime ranking isn't really high in anime sites compared to other series.Surely ratings will boost a lot when XY starts.

Last edited:

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Guys, I just want to remind you all that the anime has themed hotel rooms and a goddamn airplane. You don't do that for a dieing show.

I wonder how often Pokemon got into the top 10 back in the old days...

Status
Not open for further replies.