• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Ratings (BW:DA! returns to top 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

catzeye

Writer's Block
Are there any shows still on-air in Japan with ratings like those?

I'll be honest and say I'm not sure. There might be a few but they wouldn't be on long if they had those ratings unless they were extremely local shows. I was trying to make a point that saying that the ratings the show has now aren't bad compared to what they could be. It's a long runner that got a lot of the high ratings it had because it was a fad at one point. The fact that it has stayed on this long after the fad is pretty incredible. The rating decline could have been a lot steeper and we may have not even had a BW or even a DP anime.

Now I'm not saying that the Pokemon anime is immune to the effects of dropping ratings. If the X&Y anime doesn't draw in similar crowds that DP and BW did then something might happen. But for now it's holding on. But if it keeps similar ratings it should be good.

Of course some people prefer watching anime on internet too.For example Naruto isn't on top 10(Because we know the reason, most of episodes are filler right now, its ranking still high on internet).But Pokemon BW anime ranking isn't really high in anime sites compared to other series.Surely ratings will boost a lot when XY starts.

This is another point. Many people get their shows, particularly anime online. One of the reasons Naruto is high on anime sites would be the fact that many western audiences prefer the Japanese voice acting over the English. For them, the easiest way to get what they want would be to find an anime site that has the Japanese sub.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Guys, I just want to remind you all that the anime has themed hotel rooms and a goddamn airplane. You don't do that for a dieing show.

ANA has had airplanes with Pokemon designs since the late 1990's, so nothing new there. I'm not sure what airplanes have to do with ratings though. :p

I wonder how often Pokemon got into the top 10 back in the old days...

All the time from what I've read, excluding recent weeks obviously.

If any Pokemon anime is going to be cancelled someday, it will DEFINITELY be the dub on CN before the TVTokyo one.

Wouldn't that indirectly hurt the anime in Japan as well? I mean if the English dub gets cancelled, it'll mean less profits for the studio that makes the episodes right? Plus if I remember correctly, the dubbed version of the anime is often used internationally and dubbed over by other dubbing companies worldwide. Basically, if the English dub gets cancelled, it wouldn't be long until the Japanese anime would also see the same result imo.

Wouldn't that indirectly hurt the anime in Japan as well? I mean if the English dub gets cancelled, it'll mean less profits for the studio that makes the episodes right? Plus if I remember correctly, the dubbed version of the anime is often used internationally and dubbed over by other dubbing companies worldwide. Basically, if the English dub gets cancelled, it wouldn't be long until the Japanese anime would also see the same result imo.

Now that I think about it, if Pokémon does get cancelled by CN (which wouldn't be a great move by them), it would likely get bought by another channel. Kinda like when Kids' WB stopped airing it and CN picked up the rights.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Now that I think about it, if Pokémon does get cancelled by CN (which wouldn't be a great move by them), it would likely get bought by another channel. Kinda like when Kids' WB stopped airing it and CN picked up the rights.

But what channel would want it if it gets cancelled due to low ratings? It wouldn't be like the last time it switched channels; that happened because of a license issue or something, not ratings iirc. If the dub gets cancelled, I don't think it would be salvaged by some other network. It just wouldn't be in any network's best interest imo.

But the dub isn't really my main concern since I don't watch it. The original version is probably in more danger of getting cancelled someday, but it'll probably continue airing for a few more years before that happens. X & Y seem to be highly anticipated games, so hopefully their respective anime saga will be interesting enough to stay afloat.

I think the ratings r bad because kids don't wanna watch the same thing over and over. The writers need to bring some changes or else the ratings won't improve. May be if the get rid of Ash the ratings will bounce back up. I know it sounds like a bad idea now but it could work wonders :)

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
I'd say the Butterfree episode received a fair amount of promo, probably more than other DA episodes.

It got a tiny picture on a poster and nothing else. No title, no airdate, no description, no nothing. Just a single picture. That's less than almost every other DA episode has received so far. The most promoted episode thus far has been the upcoming Pansy one, which has been advertised in both Corocoro and the official site as "that episode that features gen 6 Pokemon, which you really should watch!!", complete with airdates and pictures and descriptions and everything.

However, you make an interesting point. People constantly say stuff like "Charizard's return episode was fan service," but if people who don't watch the anime regularly didn't know about it ahead of time, how would that fan service be effective?

It's them throwing a fanservice bone to those older fans that do still watch the anime regularly. It's not a ratings stunt, since the people they want watching are the kids they advertise the new toys to, it's just them being nice to the extended audience they know exists.
This is why this stuff isn't really advertised too much. The people who care aren't the people they care about advertising towards.

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
I'd say the Butterfree episode received a fair amount of promo, probably more than other DA episodes. However, you make an interesting point. People constantly say stuff like "Charizard's return episode was fan service," but if people who don't watch the anime regularly didn't know about it ahead of time, how would that fan service be effective?

Anyway, I think the X & Y saga will start with high ratings at the beginning simply because everyone loves the start of a new saga. But I'm sure the ratings will start to decrease by a large margin after about the dozenth episode or so; that's usually around the time that the new saga hype starts to wear off at least that's how it was in my case during BW. Afterwards I expect to see ratings in the 2.0's or around that area. Some may say that won't happen, but if the ratings trend holds true, it's very possible that we'll be seeing Tepig's evolution episode-esque ratings regularly in the coming years.

Are there any shows still on-air in Japan with ratings like those?
The problem that I see with lower ratings is that the pokemon franchise isn't a series uswed to have ràtings of 3.6 of average.

That dpoesn't man ot have to be cancelled. And the butterfree episode wqasn't hyped and advertised. I haven't saw Butterfree merchandise to promote this (except the kis set) specially compareed to Charizard.
Of course some people prefer watching anime on internet too.For example Naruto isn't on top 10(Because we know the reason, most of episodes are filler right now, its ranking still high on internet).But Pokemon BW anime ranking isn't really high in anime sites compared to other series.Surely ratings will boost a lot when XY starts.
The showsvthat are more viewed in those animne websites are shows who are mainly done to a teen uience or older. Poikemon is from a children audience. Also ou have to know tha many of the shows are shows with large gaps between raw and dub or not dub at all and remember that pokemon isn't the steteotype of anime. Remember that intertionally the term anime is generally asociated to anime aimed to older audiences. Pokemon isn't advertised as being at anime; is advertised as a cartoon outside Japan.

If any Pokemon anime is going to be cancelled someday, it will DEFINITELY be the dub on CN before the TVTokyo one.
Specially knowing that CN advertising the show heavil (ironic mode)

It got a tiny picture on a poster and nothing else. No title, no airdate, no description, no nothing. Just a single picture. That's less than almost every other DA episode has received so far. The most promoted episode thus far has been the upcoming Pansy one, which has been advertised in both Corocoro and the official site as "that episode that features gen 6 Pokemon, which you really should watch!!", complete with airdates and pictures and descriptions and everything.

It's them throwing a fanservice bone to those older fans that do still watch the anime regularly. It's not a ratings stunt, since the people they want watching are the kids they advertise the new toys to, it's just them being nice to the extended audience they know exists.
This is why this stuff isn't really advertised too much. The people who care aren't the people they care about advertising towards.
The Charizard episode is an adveriaed episode from the poster, a lot of merchandise, pokemon fan, a Charizard 3DS XL, and more. The butterfree episode wsn't described in the CoroCoro scan, it has no imagfe previews.

Remember that Butterfree is a pookeon who is only refereced in one episode. Charizard is a pokemon that is remember because the battles against Brandon, Noland and specially, Gary.

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Yea, I don't think I have ever seen a cn advertisement other than on saturday morning's.

I haven't seen a Cartoon Network advertizement on TvTokyo either! Oh wait, are we talking about the dub instead of the Japanese airings? I wonder which subforum I'm in..

Why is this an issue people? Going on previous starts of series, I can predict that Pokemon XY-1 will have a rating of around 9.5, and that XY-100 will have a rating of around 4 or less. That's how this series has went for two generations now - It isn't going to change much anymore.

I haven't seen a Cartoon Network advertizement on TvTokyo either! Oh wait, are we talking about the dub instead of the Japanese airings? I wonder which subforum I'm in..

So we are not allowed to talk about the dubs? I think that should be a completely valid thing to talk about in this forum especially if we are talking about the TVTokyo show. The fact that TVTokyo still advertises the show and has specials shows that the original still cares about Pokémon and it will do well in Japan, a sharp contrast to that of CN, which if promoted more and put at a better time could be a big hit for CN.

pokemon fan 132

After reading last few pages of discussion i agree with rest how it would be exaggeration to say how pokemon anime is dying, though there is no denying how it saw better days compared to status it has now.

Truth to be told ratings which circulate between 3.2 and 4.0, 4.5 isn't something to write home about imo with this show being appealing to much wider group of fans couple of years ago with more people being interested in its story, characters and principles it promotes.

Surely its not to expect that hype and viewing figures stay same like they used to be in its golden era, especially after running over decade and half. But depending on writing quality and how exciting certain show is can certainly affect at what speed series are going to decline and lose interest.
Because in every TV show which experience downfall in number of viewers there is never responsible only one, but several factors being common sense how in marketing and business if customers aren't satisfied with product this will lead to lower of people interest.
As such pokemon show popularity was over the years affected by factors such as how successful advertizing is, word of mouth from its viewers and their loyalty.

And as such basing on people reception accompanied with consistent talk and complaining about what they like, dislike about anime , there are various things i noticed which led toward drop of people interest for this anime over the years such as fad dying out, attention dwindling out over time, change of voice actors when PUSA took over, constant cast replacing leaving characters abandoned and unresolved( no pun intended but biggest backlash happened when Misty left) ,lack of continuity and more consistent storyline which along with protagonists don't move forward, abandon of important plots(like GS ball), repetitive start at every new saga etc.

Granted i already heard excuses how reason why ratings are dropping is because "less children is born" and while we can certainly not ignore this as being one of factors, way i see it its not the only one which lead toward show losing its reputation and appeal over the years(especially when talking about fandom outside of Japan on global scale). Quality can certainly play difference in how many people are be willing to watch certain Tv show and maintain their interest toward it with either negative or positive critic and impressions about it influencing how long series will be successful and attracting toward its watchers. Im of opinion how it might be one, but certainly not only factor judging by deepening of people disappointment, quitting with anime and with each gen even bigger culvert happening among fans i see happening with each passing generation.
Writers aren't doing best they could nor same approach can work forever in my opinion so while pokemon anime is still doing depending on how you look at it good, as loyal and avid watcher of this show it would be impolitic for me to say how im not worried about its future.

p.s. Additionally while marketing can play factor in return of popular older pokemon and characters , i believe their revival is also done for fanservice purposes and to attract more of older fans toward this show. Because quite frankly there is no reason to bring them back for new fans which might not even be familiar with what happened in previous sagas,.
Surely its to expect merchandize getting released around time when certain pokemon or character is planned to return with attempt of increasing sales with writers and game producers being in contact, but in end its writers call who is going to be included in show and who wont.
Which is nothing new in TV industry when it comes to long running series etc being done all the time to refresh hype,maintain viewers interest through unpredictable surprises and gain more of series followers through such action with attempt of either increasing or stabilizing ratings.

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
I think the ratings r bad because kids don't wanna watch the same thing over and over. The writers need to bring some changes or else the ratings won't improve. May be if the get rid of Ash the ratings will bounce back up. I know it sounds like a bad idea now but it could work wonders :)

IMO I like how people just throw around the idea of "Replace Ash and everything will be ok."

Do people forget how iconic Ash and Pikachu are. I guarantee when you ask a kid what's the first thing they think of when they think of Pokemon its either Pikachu, Ash, or both. That's how it was in the case of my younger cousins. I even asked them how they would feel if Ash and Pikachu were gone and they got sad. Ash and Pikachu are like the Mario and Luigi of the Pokemon universe, everyone and their mom knows who they are. No literally, I asked my mom the same question and she responded the same way -just not the sad part cause she really could give a **** about Pokemon-

Does everyone remember how much backlash there was when Brock was taken out of the Orange Islands and replaced with Tracey, or when Misty left I highly doubt the anime would bounce back if Ash were gone, there would probably be even more backlash. And do you even think for a second that they would just drop a "legend" and not even finish his goal?

I find it really hard to believe they would just drop Ash and Pikachu with how recognizable they are.

Sorry, I just needed to make that point because when people say things like this my jimmies get rustled.

Anime's not dying, carry on.

Asuka

Banned
I think replacing Ash is the best way to improve ratings cuz right now the dubs ratings are pretty bad & it looks like the japanese version isn't doing well at all either. These things happen when a shows writers keep repeating themselves all the time. It was bound to happen some day but hope fully the writers will realize their mistakes and take action to improve the show. Change in this case would be a great thing.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
IMO I like how people just throw around the idea of "Replace Ash and everything will be ok."

Do people forget how iconic Ash and Pikachu are. I guarantee when you ask a kid what's the first thing they think of when they think of Pokemon its either Pikachu, Ash, or both. That's how it was in the case of my younger cousins. I even asked them how they would feel if Ash and Pikachu were gone and they got sad. Ash and Pikachu are like the Mario and Luigi of the Pokemon universe, everyone and their mom knows who they are. No literally, I asked my mom the same question and she responded the same way -just not the sad part cause she really could give a **** about Pokemon-

Does everyone remember how much backlash there was when Brock was taken out of the Orange Islands and replaced with Tracey, or when Misty left I highly doubt the anime would bounce back if Ash were gone, there would probably be even more backlash. And do you even think for a second that they would just drop a "legend" and not even finish his goal?

I find it really hard to believe they would just drop Ash and Pikachu with how recognizable they are.

Sorry, I just needed to make that point because when people say things like this my jimmies get rustled.

Anime's not dying, carry on.

Are you being serious? Kids watching Pokemon today weren't even born when the anime first started. And most older fans have either moved on for the anime or wouldn't particularly care if Ash left. I'm also not sure why you're bringing up backlash about Misty/Brock leaving, because a small minority of fans complaining doesn't represent the fanbase.

The writers can replace or get rid of whomever they want. It probably won't have any effect on the ratings whatsoever because new kids watch the anime ever generation. You think all those kids who started watching the anime when DP were airing don't notice that Dawn is gone now for example? To them Dawn was their first Pokemon girl and now she's gone, what difference does it make?

pokemon fan 132

Are you being serious? Kids watching Pokemon today weren't even born when the anime first started. And most older fans have either moved on for the anime or wouldn't particularly care if Ash left. I'm also not sure why you're bringing up backlash about Misty/Brock leaving, because a small minority of fans complaining doesn't represent the fanbase.

The writers can replace or get rid of whomever they want. It probably won't have any effect on the ratings whatsoever because new kids watch the anime ever generation. You think all those kids who started watching the anime when DP were airing don't notice that Dawn is gone now for example? To them Dawn was their first Pokemon girl and now she's gone, what difference does it make?

It would be reckless and bad move imo to replace anime driving force for past 15 years, with people underestimating how popular and iconic to audience Ash really is with complete overhaul doing nothing but ruining positive image pokemon series established about themselves, and turning away audience from anime.

Im not speaking to pokemon franchise as whole, but to anime Ash and Pikachu solidified their position so deep over 15 years becoming basically main faces, icons of whole anime with people associating series to them. Whoever you meet who heard about pokemon, most recognizable characters from series are those two being their main promoters.
Just like its case with One Piece or DBZ where anime is about Luffy or Goku, Pokemon series were always primarily about Ash exploring world of pokemon with his friends and being on quest to become pokemon master.

Claims how Ash leaving wont have any effect on target audience would be in least hand understatement to say, because people associate pokemon series with not Dawn, not Brock, not Misty, not May or Iris but Ash viewing him as staple of series franchise and its icon. Its one thing to replace companions, but series representative about who everything revolves?

That's like comparing stick with missile launcher.

p.s. By the way im not sure about you, but Brock original departure for OI and even more so Misty leaving after Johto definitely caused backlash among fandom at that time. Even now with all those petitions made over the years, incredibly high demand for original trio reunion i encountered on daily basis on various sites, youtube, deviantart, pokeelite, archived threads on serebii and bulbagarden only serving as testament to this.

Of course this doesn't speak in everyone name and there is no conclusive evidence to measure how many of them ended disappointed, but compared to any other companion leaving their departure lifted up most dust without any doubt affecting series popularity at that time.

Last edited:

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
Okay, how did some people get the idea that discussing character replacements without evidence is suddenly all right.

Status
Not open for further replies.