• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Riddle revival!

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I've got a really really dumb idea. I'll post it when I have access to a real computer.

Tangeh

Slowpoke / slowbro / slowking?

A symbol of nothing, a symbol of surprise - slowpoke is like a symbol is nothing, I guess the shellder could be surprise
until death does grip, and its hands prized. - slowpoke can stand upright after being bitten and becoming slowbro or slowking
It rips off heads, it wears them proud - shellder fishing, and slowking wears them on its head
Only when cursed, it gains the boon of its shroud. - learns curse and is not ghost type. This makes it even slower but also more defensive / offensive
And with its tail, it'll feed and feed - slowpoke fish with their tail
'til its captives cry out, victims of the bleed.
This 'mon you may find, where suffering doth reign - slowpoke well
Now guess and guess, until this riddle is slain.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Slowpoke / slowbro / slowking?

A symbol of nothing, a symbol of surprise - slowpoke is like a symbol is nothing, I guess the shellder could be surprise
until death does grip, and its hands prized. - slowpoke can stand upright after being bitten and becoming slowbro or slowking
It rips off heads, it wears them proud - shellder fishing, and slowking wears them on its head
Only when cursed, it gains the boon of its shroud. - learns curse and is not ghost type. This makes it even slower but also more defensive / offensive
And with its tail, it'll feed and feed - slowpoke fish with their tail
This 'mon you may find, where suffering doth reign - slowpoke well
Now guess and guess, until this riddle is slain.
Surprised you were able to fit one of the King's Rock Pokemon into this riddle. That was also one of my earlier thoughts but I couldn't see how it was connected to some of the lines, so I never listed it because I couldn't make enough sense of it. Just had a thought, maybe some of you guys could try to make the connection with some of the other Pokemon I thought might be the answer to this riddle but I still couldn't quite find a strong enough connection to most of the lines.

Mandibuzz
Poliwhirl/Poliwrath
Misdreavus/Mismagius
Remoraid
Eevee
Sudowoodo
Sandygast/Palossand

TheWanderingMist

That hint...it's Comfey, right?

A symbol of nothing, a symbol of surprise

Flowers can be used both symbolically and not.

EDIT: Wait, now I'm sure it's Comfey.

A symbol of nothing doesn't mean it doesn't symbolize anything, it means it symbolizes "nothing".

Comfey are O-shaped. "O" can mean both "zero (0)" and "Oh!"

Until death does grip and its hands are prized.

Its hands are clasped together in its official art.

It rips off heads, it wears them proud.

This is a lot less gory when it means flower heads.

Only when cursed it gains the boon of its shroud.

Natural Cure is useless unless under a status effect.

With its tail, it will feed and feed. Til its captives cry out, victims of the bleed.

Comfey gets Draining Kiss. Or this line is talking about the flowers it picks wilting even though its Dex entry states the opposite happens.

This 'mon you'll find where suffering doth reign

They accompany Alolan Nurses Joy in anime Pokemon Centers.

Now guess and guess, until the riddle is slain.

This is just encouragement after the last debacle.

Hints:

When no heads adorn it, its restlessness grows.

They're stated to be uneasy when they don't have flowers.

Lacking shroud, quicker than quick it aims at woes.

I think this is the line that sealed it. Comfey's other important Ability is Triage, which gives a massive +3 priority boost to healing moves.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Phantump? Has his wood mask thingy, lives in woods where children died, is kinda cursed

The Walrein

@TheWanderingMist is correct! It's Comfey!

A symbol of nothing, a symbol of surprise - As TheWanderingMist said: Usually Comfey looks like a zero or 'O' shape, zero symbolizing nothing and 'o' symbolizing a mouth opened in surprise, and the interjection 'Oh'!
until death does grip, and its hands prized. - Of course, Comfey only looks like this as long as they keep holding onto the end of their vine/tail. Presumably when a Comfey dies it loses its grip.
It rips off heads, it wears them proud - Refers to Comfey adorning itself with the heads of flowers
Only when cursed, it gains the boon of its shroud. - Refers to Comfey's Flower Veil ability. Flower Veil only affects grass-type Pokemon, and as Comfey's a pure fairy type, the only way it can benefit from its own ability is when affected by the move 'Forest's Curse' which adds the grass typing to its target.
And with its tail, it'll feed and feed
- Refers to the Sun Pokedex entry "It attaches flowers to its highly nutritious vine. This revitalizes the flowers, and they give off an aromatic scent." and the Ultra Moon entry "It picks flowers and sticks them to its body with fluids it produces. The aroma that wafts from its petals has a healing effect.". Comfey's vine seems to feed the flowers attached to it, and stimulates them to produce a scent (makes them 'cry out'). The 'bleed' refers to the sticky fluid that bleeds out of Comfey's vine - this sticky fluid is what makes the flowers into 'captives'.
This 'mon you may find, where suffering doth reign - Refers to Comfey hanging around hospitals.
Now guess and guess, until this riddle is slain. - Just encouragement to solve the riddle.
When no heads adorn it, its restlessness grows - Refers to the part of the Ultra Sun dex entry "When it doesn't have any flowers, it feels uneasy."
Lacking shroud, quicker than quick it aims at woes. If Comfey has the Triage ability instead of Flower Veil, their healing moves get +3 priority (quicker than quick attack), which presumably it would aim at Pokemon suffering from various woes.

TheWanderingMist

Yay! I'll think up a riddle by the end of today.

EDIT: A riddle will be up they the end of July 3rd. It's taking longer than I thought to make a good one.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

I can see them all
The ones who started it
The rumor that I am not who I am
That I am someone else, an unintended mistake
But they are darkened, many times over
As I flit about from here to there
In rainy weather, on windy days
In search of ancient medicine

shoz999

I can see them all
The ones who started it
The rumor that I am not who I am
That I am someone else, an unintended mistake
But they are darkened, many times over
As I flit about from here to there
In rainy weather, on windy days
In search of ancient medicine
I have three stretched guesses.

Porygon/Porygon2/Porygon Z

I can see them all - Porygon can travel through a world called cyberspace and see everyone through technology
The ones who started it. The rumor that I am not who I am. That I am someone else, an unintended mistake - In Porygon's first and only major appearance, the episode was banned due to seizures and with that, Porygon with people jumping to the conclusion that it was Porygon's fault. In actuality, it was Pikachu who caused the beaming lights.
But they are darkened, many times over - It's thought that Porygon is one of the few Pokemon that might be capable of flying through actual space.
As I flit about from here to there - Porygon can travel places in an instant through cyber space. Porygon-Z can travel places in an instant through worm holes.
In rainy weather, on windy days - Porygon can blend in it's surroundings.
In search of ancient medicine - No clue.

Celebi

I can see them all - Celebi is capable of time-travel.
The ones who started it. The rumor that I am not who I am. That I am someone else, an unintended mistake. - A stretch but perhaps it has to do with the GS Ball, an episode that was supposed to feature Celebi but was shelved for the movie.
But they are darkened, many times over - Not a lot of people realize that GS Ball contains Celebi, an event that only appeared in Japan previously.
As I flit about from here to there. In rainy weather, on windy days. - Celebi can move along the passages of time, past many people.
In search of ancient medicine - There's a legend about Celebi in the Pokemon Adventures manga where it rewarded a person with ancient medicine.

Entei

I can see them all - Entei can reach to any location in a matter of seconds
The ones who started it. The rumor that I am not who I am. That I am someone else, an unintended mistake. - Entei is described as the fiercest of the three legendary beasts, Pokemon reborn from three unknown Pokemon by Ho-Oh and Pokemon that people feared long ago due to it's resurrection seen as unnatural.
But they are darkened, many times over - Entei constantly escapes from many powerful trainer's grasps
As I flit about from here to there. In rainy weather, on windy days. - Entei is known to be extremely fast as seen in his move, extreme speed.
In search of ancient medicine - Sacred Fire has healing properties and is a move passed on by Ho-Oh

TheWanderingMist

I have three stretched guesses.

Porygon/Porygon2/Porygon Z

I can see them all - Porygon can travel through a world called cyberspace and see everyone through technology
The ones who started it. The rumor that I am not who I am. That I am someone else, an unintended mistake - In Porygon's first and only major appearance, the episode was banned due to seizures and with that, Porygon with people jumping to the conclusion that it was Porygon's fault. In actuality, it was Pikachu who caused the beaming lights.
But they are darkened, many times over - It's thought that Porygon is one of the few Pokemon that might be capable of flying through actual space.
As I flit about from here to there - Porygon can travel places in an instant through cyber space. Porygon-Z can travel places in an instant through worm holes.
In rainy weather, on windy days - Porygon can blend in it's surroundings.
In search of ancient medicine - No clue.

Celebi

I can see them all - Celebi is capable of time-travel.
The ones who started it. The rumor that I am not who I am. That I am someone else, an unintended mistake. - A stretch but perhaps it has to do with the GS Ball, an episode that was supposed to feature Celebi but was shelved for the movie.
But they are darkened, many times over - Not a lot of people realize that GS Ball contains Celebi, an event that only appeared in Japan previously.
As I flit about from here to there. In rainy weather, on windy days. - Celebi can move along the passages of time, past many people.
In search of ancient medicine - There's a legend about Celebi in the Pokemon Adventures manga where it rewarded a person with ancient medicine.

Entei

I can see them all - Entei can reach to any location in a matter of seconds
The ones who started it. The rumor that I am not who I am. That I am someone else, an unintended mistake. - Entei is described as the fiercest of the three legendary beasts, Pokemon reborn from three unknown Pokemon by Ho-Oh and Pokemon that people feared long ago due to it's resurrection seen as unnatural.
But they are darkened, many times over - Entei constantly escapes from many powerful trainer's grasps
As I flit about from here to there. In rainy weather, on windy days. - Entei is known to be extremely fast as seen in his move, extreme speed.
In search of ancient medicine - Sacred Fire has healing properties and is a move passed on by Ho-Oh
Sorry, none of these are correct.

shoz999

Sorry, none of these are correct.
To be honest, your riddle points to a lot of Pokemon at first. One that sounds like it's misunderstood, watching and can flee at any time. Someone like Marshadow actually... but that last line. Ancient Medicine. Now suddenly it seems too specific of a Pokemon. Question though. It says the Pokemon is looking for the medicine. Does that mean Pokemon like Ho-Oh and Cresselia are off the list because they give medicine, not look for it?

TheWanderingMist

To be honest, your riddle points to a lot of Pokemon at first. One that sounds like it's misunderstood, watching and can flee at any time. Someone like Marshadow actually... but that last line. Ancient Medicine. Now suddenly it seems too specific of a Pokemon. Question though. It says the Pokemon is looking for the medicine. Does that mean Pokemon like Ho-Oh and Cresselia are off the list because they give medicine, not look for it?
I've got a hint that will narrow down the list a very significant amount, but it's a bit too soon to use it. So, you can continue your attempts or wait for some others to try to reason their way through.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
psyduck? I mean, ancient medicine->secret potion, it's psychic (though not psychic type), thus has seen it all, flits from here to there due to headaches (ok, I'm stretching, but still)
slowpoke/slowbro/slowking due to the "slowpoke is omniscient" theory?
mewtwo/mew? mew has all of the dna, and mewtwo is an experiment, or wait a minute.......
ditto? There's the "failed mew clone" theory and has seen it all due to his transformations, though IDK what "ancient medicine" would stand for

TheWanderingMist

psyduck? I mean, ancient medicine->secret potion, it's psychic (though not psychic type), thus has seen it all, flits from here to there due to headaches (ok, I'm stretching, but still)
slowpoke/slowbro/slowking due to the "slowpoke is omniscient" theory?
mewtwo/mew? mew has all of the dna, and mewtwo is an experiment, or wait a minute.......
ditto? There's the "failed mew clone" theory and has seen it all due to his transformations, though IDK what "ancient medicine" would stand for
Nope, sorry. Hmmm, let's say, two more guesses and I'll drop the hint.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Butterfree? It has compound eyes, so it can "see all", butterflies flit about, and it's rumoured butterfree was mistakenly made to evolve from metapod instead of venonat, which looks more like it. Honey often was used for medicinal purposes in ancient times, and is a favourite food of butterfree, and it can cause whirlwinds. Not sure about the rain, though, or the darkening part. But ehh, worth a shot.

shoz999

Butterfree? It has compound eyes, so it can "see all", butterflies flit about, and it's rumoured butterfree was mistakenly made to evolve from metapod instead of venonat, which looks more like it. Honey often was used for medicinal purposes in ancient times, and is a favourite food of butterfree, and it can cause whirlwinds. Not sure about the rain, though, or the darkening part. But ehh, worth a shot.
I think your onto something. Butterfree's wings are covered in a powder that allows it to fly in rain.