• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Riddle revival!

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Uhhh, vanilluxe? It has the word "lux", which means "light" in its name, and the smaller vanillite is regarded a bit more positively than it, plus, vanillite only has one scoop, thus vanilluxe was one, but now it's two. And two scoops of ice cream are probably less healthy than one.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I'm afraid that it's not vanilluxe either.

Line 3 is a bit contrived so it might be better to ignore it.
I'll count any Pokemon from the same evolution line as close enough.

Cat's Eye Draco

Is it Dragonite?

Light a candle in my name
There are those who say it's such a shame
I was cooler in my youth

Many people prefer Dragonair's design to Dragonite's.

I was smaller in my youth

Dratini is 5'11 and slender while Dragonite is bulkier and 7'03.

I was the healthiest

Dratini and Dragonair have the ability Shed Skin and Dragonite does not.

I was like the number 1

The Dragonite line were the first Dragon types to be introduced and were the only Dragon types in Gen I.

I might be better off going somewhere new
Saying so long to where I'm from
But the reason for the shame is the reason I belong

Both Dratini and Dragonair live underwater while Dragonite lives on land. However, it prefers to remain near the sea anyway and is said to use its aerial skills to rescue drowning people and lead lost or floundering ships to safety.

Last edited:

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Sadly it is not Dragonite or Blissey or any of their evolutionary relatives.

If you want a hint then I'm willing to give you one.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Okay...

The pokemon the riddle is about isn't from gen 1.

Also line 6 is 'I was like the number 1' this line refers to the first stage of the Pokemon in the riddle having something in common with a pokemon that is refered to as the number 1.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Decidueye, perhaps? Like bulbasaur, its smaller unevolved form is one of the few dual-typed unevolved starters, and it became a ghost type upon evolving, so it stopped being healthy because it "died". Maybe that explains the mourning tone of the first line too? And maybe the end is alluding to the importance of its ghost type in defining its usability? Or perhaps its ghost type making sense due to its being based on a spirit owl that's also an extinct species in Hawaii?

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Decidueye, perhaps? Like bulbasaur, its smaller unevolved form is one of the few dual-typed unevolved starters, and it became a ghost type upon evolving, so it stopped being healthy because it "died". Maybe that explains the mourning tone of the first line too? And maybe the end is alluding to the importance of its ghost type in defining its usability? Or perhaps its ghost type making sense due to its being based on a spirit owl that's also an extinct species in Hawaii?

The Pokemon that inspired the riddle is indeed Decidueye.
Decidueye is a great pokemon, easily one of my top 5 favourites so I thought it might make for a good riddle.
And your guesses at the logic I used is pretty much spot on.

So here is the reasoning behind each line.

Light a candle in my name - Candles are lit to remember the dead, becoming a ghost (outside of pokemon) require death
There are those who say it's such a shame - Many people hoped for Decidueye to be grass flying and so thought it was a shame that it gained the ghost type.
I was cooler in my youth - Rowlet and Dartrix both wear bow ties and bow ties are cool Dartix is described by the dex as being 'a bit of a dandy' and is cares very much about looking cool.
I was smaller in my youth - Rowlet and Dartrix are smaller than Decidueye.
I was the healthiest - Rowlet has the highest hp stat of all of the first stage of the starters
I was like the number 1 - Rowlet and Bulbasuar are the only first stage starters to have a dual typing
I might be better off going somewhere new
Saying so long to where I'm from -
One might think that Decidueye would fit better in the new region (Galar) because of Decidueye being partly based on robin hood.
But the reason for the shame is the reason I belong - The reason Decidueye fits with Alola's Hawaiian inspiration is the same reason it has the ghost typing (see lines 1 and 2) which is due to Decidueye also being inspired by the extinct stilt-owl which was native to Hawaii and also due to Decidueye also being inspired by ancestral spirits from Hawaiian culture that can take the form of an owl.

Okay, good job @octoboy now you get another riddle.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
:O Wow, my seeming shot in the dark worked! Guess decidueye was guiding my arrow!

My turn, eh? Seeing as my attempt to be simple backfired greatly, I might as well go ahead and post this utter brain-mangler. Good luck with this one, guys.

The ancient thing that shall stay dead
Unlike the thing who clings to bed
Can swiftly end the lives of three
But can’t end one so easily
And cannot bring to life the sixth
To find the two above’s the trick
So take the holder of the one
Think of his end to start the fun
For that, you see, ‘s when I sit down
The sixth’s end’s me, I share this crown

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
:O Wow, my seeming shot in the dark worked! Guess decidueye was guiding my arrow!

My turn, eh? Seeing as my attempt to be simple backfired greatly, I might as well go ahead and post this utter brain-mangler. Good luck with this one, guys.

I honestly have no idea. But I'll post a poor guess, just to keep this thread alive.

Mimikyu

The ancient thing that shall stay dead - Mimikyu is a ghost type, deadness is assoicated with ghosts.
Unlike the thing who clings to bed - Mimikyu is similarish to a plush toy, which are often kept on beds.

The next two lines are probably about types advantages and the numbers don't line up well with Mimikyu. Eh, maybe I'll thing of something that does match up later, I'll keep Mimikyu as my guess for now.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
It isn't mimikyu.

I'll say right away that the bulk of this riddle doesn't refer to its answer directly, so it might make more sense to attempt to decipher it line by line rather than guessing it based on a single line.

Cat's Eye Draco

I have no idea either, but to keep the guesses going... Is it Rayquaza?

Groudon and Kyogre are ancient Pokemon who took to sleep after their cataclysmic battle. (No idea where the "shall stay dead" part fits in.)

With its Fire/Ground typing, Groudon has an advantage over all three of Hoenn's legendary Titans, but not over Regigigas.

If the Blue Orb is used to summon Groudon, then it can't be used to summon Kyogre? (Yeah, I'm not sure on this one, either.)

In Emerald, after Archie and Maxie have lost control over Groudon and Kyogre, Rayquaza has to be summoned to stop their rampage. And I guess it "shares their crown" by also being a box legendary.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Someone probably already said this considering how obvious it seems but is it the Reginator? The Reginator is an ancient being that stays still like a statue, hence shall stay dead. The Reginator also has control of the three Regi brothers and is strength-wise, the strongest Pokemon in existence as seen in Pokemon Adventures where it overpowered powerful legendary Pokemon quite easily.

However I have a second guess. If it's not the Reginator, is it Giratina? At first the riddle sounds like Arceus but it kind of makes this powerful being sound like it isn't quite at the top which is not Arceus. The ancient thing that shall stay dead could refer to Giratina's ghost-type and his eternal imprisonment of the Distortion World where he is both the ruler and its prisoner. He has the power to challenge Dialga, Palkia, the two above, and to an extant Arceus, the swift end of the three but Arceus is the most difficult one to challenge, hence can't end one so easily. Not only that but although Giratina is seen as the strongest of the three, he cannot bring life like Arceus.

Not only that but Giratina is interpreted as a vengeful Pokemon that holds a grudge and if he were to be freed from his world, he might wreak havoc on the Pokemon world as revenge against Arceus, hence Arceus end might Be Giratina's fun. In another interpretation of Giratina, he shares his world with Cyrus in Pokemon Generations.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
It isn't giratina. And, I haven't heard of a pokémon called "Reginator", so I will disregard that guess.

To make things clearer, this riddle's answer isn't directly referred to in any of the lines except the last two, the other lines referring to hints that lead to the ultimate answer. Thus, the "ancient thing that shall stay dead" is not itself the answer to this riddle. As such, if anyone attempts to decipher any of the lines, I will confirm or deconfirm whether those guesses are correct. None have been so far.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
It isn't giratina. And, I haven't heard of a pokémon called "Reginator", so I will disregard that guess.

To make things clearer, this riddle's answer isn't directly referred to in any of the lines except the last two, the other lines referring to hints that lead to the ultimate answer. Thus, the "ancient thing that shall stay dead" is not itself the answer to this riddle. As such, if anyone attempts to decipher any of the lines, I will confirm or deconfirm whether those guesses are correct. None have been so far.
You haven't heard of Regigigigas? And I thought you knew every single Pokemon. However if you decide to give a hint later, could you reiterate what you mean by sixth? I believe this is the most puzzling feature of your riddle as it seems like no one here has even touched upon the subject because they don't know what it means.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I have heard of regigigas. However, you did not say "regigigas", you said "reginator", which I have never heard of, and couldn't identify with a search on Bulbapedia. The answer is not regigigas, for the record.