• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Riddle revival!

keepitsimple

site of lies
"The sixth’s end’s me, I share this crown"

is it togepi?
the sixth exeggcute egg is broken and its head/(crown?) is an egg yolk sort of but not really, and togepis head/crown also looks like an egg yolk sort of but not really

completely stupid random guess from me lmao

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Is it...is it Victreebel? It evolves via Leaf Stone, and in Gen VII, both it and Leafeon have Leaf Blade as their final level up move.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Nope.

I'll help you out by saying that line 3 directly refers to exeggcute/exeggutor. No one so far has guessed what the "one" is, which is pretty important.

TheWanderingMist

I think I understand....it's Gloom, right?

Exeggcute has six heads, but when it evolves, it goes down to three heads. But Gloom keeps its head when evolving, and in Gen 2 it even gains a new evolution which means the Leaf Stone will have a harder time finding a target Gloom as some will evolve into Bellossom instead.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
It isn't gloom.

The "one" still hasn't been identified yet. Just remember that exeggutor isn't unique in its situation.

LucarioIsMegaEvolving

A single misplaced step
Combee's evolution is similar to that of Exeggcute's, losing heads as it evolves, so that could be the one.
Is it Combee?

keepitsimple

site of lies
could cherubi be the "holder of one" maybe? it's another grass type with multiple heads that loses one upon evolving, and can't be evolved via Leaf Stone

octoboy

I Crush Everything
No one's properly answered so far, but cherubi is, indeed, the "holder of the one".

Here is the riddle:
The ancient thing that shall stay dead
Unlike the thing who clings to bed
Can swiftly end the lives of three
But can’t end one so easily
And cannot bring to life the sixth
To find the two above’s the trick
So take the holder of the one
Think of his end to start the fun
For that, you see, ‘s when I sit down
The sixth’s end’s me, I share this crown

Here are all the hints/pointers:
- this riddle's answer isn't directly referred to in any of the lines except the last two; the other lines refer to hints that lead to the ultimate answer
- "end the lives of" in this case is literal; it does not mean "cause to faint", it actually means "end the lives of"
- "his end" doesn't mean "his bane"
- "bring to life" doesn't actually mean "give birth to" in this context
- type advantages or other advantages in battle don't factor into this riddle at all
- lileep is the only fossil pokémon this riddle alludes to, being mentioned in line 2; the "ancient thing" shares a trait which makes lileep unique as a fossil pokémon

Incorrect answers:
Bulbasaur
Gloom
Vileplume
Victreebel
Cloyster
Exeggcute
Exeggutor
Eevee
Togepi
Anorith
Relicanth
Rayquaza
Combee
Glaceon
Regigigas
Giratina
Arceus
Simisage
Zoroark
Zekrom
Genesect
Floette
Tyrantrum
Yveltal
Mimikyu
Solagleo

keepitsimple

site of lies
and the sixth (referred to in line 5 and the last line) is Leafeon right

The ancient thing that shall stay dead (leaf stone)
Unlike the thing who clings to bed (lileep)
Can swiftly end the lives of three (exeggcute's heads via evolution into exeggutor)
But can’t end one so easily (cherubi's second head due to the fact cherubi can't be evolved via Leaf Stone)
And cannot bring to life the sixth (at the time the riddle was posted, the Leaf Stone wasn't able to evolve Eevee into its sixth evolved form by dex number, Leafeon)
To find the two above’s the trick (leafeon and cherubi?)
So take the holder of the one (cherubi)
Think of his end to start the fun (level 25?)

i can't decode the final line but Remoraid and Tympole swim but they're on land when they evolve at level 25, so maybe "sit down" refers to the pokemon gaining the ability to sit
I'm going to guess Octillery

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Palpitoad? The "sit down" part could refer to how Tympole evolves into a Pokemon with feet. And you mentioned type advantages don't factor so Leafeon's end could refer to what Palpitoad does as stated in one of its Dex entries.

"It lives in the water and on land. It uses its long, sticky tongue to immobilize its opponents."

Tympole also evolves at level 25 too like Cherubi.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
The other lines of the riddle were "decrypted" so I don't need to do those. Which is good as I probably wouldn't have even been able to guess. However, thanks to that, I may have an idea about the last three lines...

Think of his end to start the fun

So we know the one is Cherubi and the sixth is Leafeon. The line before this line says "So take the holder of one" and "the end" refers to evolution in this riddle. In Cherubi's dex entry, it says sunlight makes its berry red and once it uses all its nutrients, it'll evolve. With that in mind, the next line...

Under the assumption my guess for the last line was right, that means this line is saying the Pokémon either has sunlight or nutrients as an important fact of their evolution. And either the sit down part is literally sitting down or...it could just mean staying still.

My first thought of nutrients was Zweilous while for sunlight it was Sunkern. It was then I found, according to the dex, it only eats morning dew from plants and, specifically its Hoenn dex entires, it stays still so that the nutrients stored in it can be used when it evolves, something it shares with Cherubi's berry used for evolution.

And in here, it's saying that it shares its "crown" with Leafeon and under the assumption that this "crown" has something to do with it being a plant-like creature because of the previous lines talking about plant traits and that the one (Cherubi) is the same it (the mystery 'mon), that means Leafeon's "crown" is either that it mainly uses photosynthesis for energy or how it evolves (location based before Gen VIII) because of the last line talking of evolution.

Under the the "crown" of the former, and tying in to the last line, it says in Sunflora's dex entires that it converts sunlight into energy too, as well as evolving from Sunkern which I previously mentioned that according to the dex that it uses the nutrients within itself to evolve and it stays as still as often as it can to avoid using it before then.

Under the "crown" of the latter, and using the previous line as well, the dex entries say Charjabug stays still and stores energy, similar to Cherubi and Sunkern storing nutrients or "energy" and it alao evolves based on location (at least until, like Leafeon later using a Leaf Stone, coincidentally as octoboy mentioned the riddle was made before Gen VIII, later where it uses/can use a Thunder Stone to evolve), which means Vikavolt is also a candidate.

But under the assumption the Pokémon is still plant-based because of the rest of the riddle using plants to lead to the answer...

My guess is Sunflora.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I'll guess sandshrew but I think that it's probaly latios looking at keepitsimple's guess above.

But below is my logic for sandshrew.

I'm gonna steal quote some useful words.

Can swiftly end the lives of three (exeggcute's heads via evolution into exeggutor)
But can’t end one so easily (cherubi's second head due to the fact cherubi can't be evolved via Leaf Stone)
And cannot bring to life the sixth (at the time the riddle was posted, the Leaf Stone wasn't able to evolve Eevee into its sixth evolved form by dex number, Leafeon)

But

Neither of those. Level of evolution does not factor into this riddle.

Maybe it's not level of evolution but the mere fact that it evolves via level up?

But the sixth's end is me (aka the subject of the riddle), the Sixth is leafeon.

How do you end leafeon? Well you end the possibilty of leafeon by evolving eevee into a diffrerent eevelution.

Being near a mossy rock overwrites the evolution into Espeon, Umbreon and Sylveon but using an evolution stone overwrites being near a moss rock. So the sixth's end is an elovtion stone but is also the subject of the riddle. What pokemon is an evolution stone? maybe it just means it's a rock type? Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree? Maybe it just uses a stone to evolve?

But wait earlier I said it was a pokemon that evolved by level up, so how can it also evolve with a stone?

Wait what pokemon evolves both by level up and by eevultion stone? Well as far a gen7 is concerned, Sandshrew is the only one. So I'll guess sandshrew for the pokemon, but wait, how does sandshrew share the crwon with... well it'd be vulpix as both have ice type alolan formms that evolve using an ice stone.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
No one has correctly answered it so far. Keep It Simple has, however, correctly interpreted what I mean by "end".

TheWanderingMist

and the sixth (referred to in line 5 and the last line) is Leafeon right

Using keepitsimple's logic as quoted above but the continuing

Think of his end to start the fun (rubi)

For that, you see, ‘s when I sit down (Pokemon is in Ruby)
The sixth’s end’s me, I share this crown (The sixth's end "-eon" ends the Pokemon in question's name as well)

The only non-Eeveelution that ends in "eon" is Kecleon, and it did debut in Ruby/Sapphire (the games, at least. the anime actually had it appear in multiple Johto episodes).

So, is it Kecleon?

octoboy

I Crush Everything
It isn't kecleon. And I shall neither confirm nor deny latias, as the guess wasn't actually justified.

keepitsimple

site of lies
ok I'll justify it by copypasting my last post with a few minor changes!

Cherubi's end: it's name ends with rubi
Leafeon's end: it's name ends with eon

is it latias? from the same generation as pokemon ruby and shares the title of eon pokemon with latios

maybe latias "sitting down" refers to latios being the more relevant of the two in ruby version

Last edited: