• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Riddle revival!

octoboy

I Crush Everything
It's been a while, so I thought it might be fun to revive a favourite game of mine, the Pokémon Riddle game! Its premise is simple: A riddle regarding pokémon will be posted, and the other players will have to solve it. Whoever solves the riddle will get to post one of their own for everyone else to solve!

Rules:
- You may only post a riddle of your own if the previous poster of a riddle confirms you solved theirs
- All guesses must be justified in some way. The poster of a riddle is allowed to ignore any attempts to guess which don't explain the reason behind it
- If a poster attempts to guess without making a justification, and a following poster explains that poster's answer, the poster who explained the answer will be considered the one who solved the riddle and will get to post their own riddle next
- By extension, if a poster attempts to guess more than one pokémon in the same post, and following poster further justifies one of the guesses, the latter poster will be considered the one who solved the riddle and will get to post their own riddle next
- After their riddle is solved, the poster of the riddle must post an explanation behind the riddle.
- If the current riddle is guessed at, but the riddle's poster doesn't respond to the guesses in a week, a new poster may post a riddle (this time limit might be subject to change)

Hopefully this should be fun! I'll kick this game off with one of mine:

No one can say who is my kin
Am I of feather, fur or fin?
I earned no wings, unlike old birds
But I lack stings, those are true words
You’ll probably become my twin
If you should try to guess my kin

Can anyone guess which pokémon this is?

Last edited:

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Rules:
- You may only post a riddle of your own if the previous poster of a riddle confirms you solved theirs
- All guesses must be justified in some way. The poster of a riddle is allowed to ignore any attempts to guess which don't explain the reason behind it
- After their riddle is solved, the poster of the riddle must post an explanation behind the riddle.
- If the current riddle is guessed at, but the riddle's poster doesn't respond to the guesses in a week, a new poster may post a riddle (this time limit might be subject to change)

These were both unjustified, so I shall ignore them.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
It's been a while, so I thought it might be fun to revive a favourite game of mine, the Pokémon Riddle game! Its premise is simple: A riddle regarding pokémon will be posted, and the other players will have to solve it. Whoever solves the riddle will get to post one of their own for everyone else to solve!

Rules:

Hopefully this should be fun! I'll kick this game off with one of mine:

Can anyone guess which pokémon this is?

Lines one and two likely mean it's in the Undiscovered Egg Group.

Line 3 means not Flying type, I guess, and 4 would mean not Poison

Next comes some tricky logic:

I feel "twin" is highly important. And we can use it in two ways.

Undiscovered has a lot of Legendaries in it, but not all Pokemon in it are Legendaries (e.g. Nidoqueen, Chingling, etc.). However, by successfully guessing the Pokemon, we would become Legendary ourselves, becoming its "twin". And if we successfully guess the Legendary from this riddle, then we must be "psychic", which leads into "psychic twins".

There are quite a few Psychic Legendaries: Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Latias, Latios, Jirachi, Deoxys, the Lake Trio, Cresselia, Meloetta, Hoopa, Tapu Lele, and the Cosmog line. However, only 2 pairs have the important "twin" requirement: Mew/two & Lati@s. Mewtwo is a clone of Mew, therefore making it a "twin" of sorts, and the Latis are also often referred to as the Eon twins.

Which pair to eliminate? The answer is the Latis, as they blatantly have wings, disqualifying them from the clue.

So, the answer should be, by process of elimination, Mew or Mewtwo. Narrowing these down is guesswork, but Mewtwo does have two Mega Evolutions, which pack quite the punch, leaving "stings".

Therefore, my answer is Mew.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
This is just going off my first impressions, but I'm going to say Psyduck.

Psyduck is believed to be based on the duck-billed platypus, which looks like a weird mashup of a mammal (fur), fish (fin), and bird (feather).

Psyduck has hand-like flippers rather than wings, and doesn't have a physical stinger unlike its real-life counterpart.

I haven't figured out this part of the riddle yet. Can't think of any Pokemon off the top of my head that Psyduck has a twin-like relationship with.

TheWanderingMist

This is just going off my first impressions, but I'm going to say Psyduck.

Psyduck is believed to be based on the duck-billed platypus, which looks like a weird mashup of a mammal (fur), fish (fin), and bird (feather).

Psyduck has hand-like flippers rather than wings, and doesn't have a physical stinger unlike its real-life counterpart.

I haven't figured out this part of the riddle yet. Can't think of any Pokemon off the top of my head that Psyduck has a twin-like relationship with.

Oh, it probably is Psyduck then. You'd get a headache from trying to guess it!

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Crimson Penguin is correct! And between her and Wandering Mist, all the lines were solved.

You may post a riddle, Penguin!

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
I haven’t done one of these in a long time, so please bear with me...

In dwellings of old I once did appear
Defending both young and old proudly for years
My power is strengthened by foreign terrain
And Scratches and Bites from foes cause me no pain
In time I may even withstand cold, it’s true
Not all superheroes wear capes, but I do

Who am I?

TheWanderingMist

Oh, isn't this Stoutland?

It gets Sand Rush or Force, explaining foreign terrain powering it since it's not a Ground type, it's a dog, so that explains lines 1 and 2, and it rescues people from blizzards.

Or it's Herdier because of the "in time" aspect of the cold line.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Kung Fu Ferret is correct with Herdier!

All the clues were guessed correctly, although I took the first line specifically from its Ultra Moon Pokédex entry: “It has been living with people for so long that portrayals of it can be found on the walls of caves from long, long ago.” And yes, the “in time” part of the 5th line was added to distinguish it from Stoutland.

Tangeh

Tyrantrum?

It's pokedex entries say it behaved a king back 100 million years ago, it knows roar as a base move, has strong jaw as an ability (and its pokedex entries reference its strong jaw), and the choice could be between the jaw fossil and sail fossil?

Tangeh

Sweet. Here you go:

You must look south to see my face,
And though I’m stuck in the same place,
To many trainers I am their guide,
Though its tough without my eyes
It may seem strange, but it’s shockingly true,
But if you don’t watch out, I may shock you

Who am I?

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Sounds like nosepass to me. It always faces north without being able to turn, it's a compass, so it can be a guide, it appears to squint, explaining the "without my eyes" part, and the last two lines could refer to its being able to use moves like zap cannon and discharge.

Tangeh

Yep, nosepass is correct. The dex says it always faces north and moves only 3/8 of an inch per year, guides trainers on their journey (and its the compass pokemon), looks like its squinting/has no eyes, and despite being a pure rock type has an association with electricity (is magnetic and evolves in an electromagetic field) and can use electric type moves.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Excellent. Now I shall post a riddle.

Upon my head, two horns
My body, like the dirt
It is I whom fate scorns
I, fortune did desert
For mother, have I none
So my heart is left sore
So baleful is my run
And I shall not mature