• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Riddle revival!

octoboy

I Crush Everything
That is absolutely....

.........Wrong. Try again.

The Walrein

Excellent. Now I shall post a riddle.

Upon my head, two horns
My body, like the dirt
It is I whom fate scorns
I, fortune did desert
For mother, have I none
So my heart is left sore
So baleful is my run
And I shall not mature

I never realized just how many pokemon have two horns on their head until I tried to answer this riddle!

My guess is... Stantler! The things on its head look like antlers, but it's called the 'big horn' pokemon, so I guess they might be considered horns. Its body is 'like the dirt' in that it's colored mostly brown. The lines about fate scorning, fortune deserting, having no mother, and a sore heart all reference the Ruby/Saphire/Emerald pokedex entry for it: "Stantler's magnificent antlers were traded at high prices as works of art. As a result, this Pokémon was hunted close to extinction by those who were after the priceless antlers." If the species was hunted to near-extinction, most of the survivors probably don't have living mothers anymore, and might feel like fortune has deserted them. A Stantler's run is 'baleful' because one of their abilities is Intimidate. And they don't have an evolution, so they don't 'mature'.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Getting much warmer, but no, it is not stantler.

Tangeh

Is it tauros? Similar to the last guess - it's brown, has two horns, has intimidate and anger point as abilities, is a single-stage Pokémon -but it's also a male-only Pokémon, so cannot breed naturally in the games without ditto, so would never have a mother.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Sounds like TAUROS to me

Upon my head, two horns
My body, like the dirt

Self-explanatory lines

It is I whom fate scorns
I, fortune did desert

Tauros' HA is Sheer Force, which trades luck for power

For mother, have I none

100% Male

So my heart is left sore

Anger Point is another of Tauros' abilities

So baleful is my run

Its Speed is a quite high 110

And I shall not mature

Doesn't evolve into or from anything

Therefore, my answer is TAUROS.

@Tangeh I'm going to be so mad if you ninja'd me. I spent the last 10 minutes trying to decipher all the lines

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Is it tauros? Similar to the last guess - it's brown, has two horns, has intimidate and anger point as abilities, is a single-stage Pokémon -but it's also a male-only Pokémon, so cannot breed naturally in the games without ditto, so would never have a mother.

Ding, ding, we have a winner!

Sorry, Mist. You did fantastically, if that's any consolation.

TheWanderingMist

All right, here's a simple one:

I can be quite aggressive, though I'm not really a bully.
I have quite the coat, and best described woolly.
My punches are strong, though my fury is hidden.
I shall not lower my fists, it is forbidden.
At the peak of condition, I find myself lost.
In desperation, a limb of mine is tossed.
My typing's unique, and I've a signature move.
Were you to ask "Why both"?
I'd reply, "I have something to prove."

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
Definitely sounds like crabominable.

It's based on the yeti crab, is able to regrow limbs it has a unique typing and a signature move.

TheWanderingMist

@Kung Fu Ferret Correct! Lines 3 & 4 were its Abilities (Iron Fist, Anger Point, Hyper Cutter). Lines 5 & 6 were references to its Pokedex entries and how it evolves on the peak of Mt. Lanakila.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Sounds like Zubat. Found in every cave, and people generally only care about Crobat. And they lack eyes as well.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I belong to a trio
If my stats are all right
I'm yours at level 20
I'm the lightest of the trio
I thrive in urban environments

TheWanderingMist

Hitmontop, right?

It's part of the trio of Tyrogue evolutions
Tyrogue is the only evolution who depends on stats
It's 105.8 lbs, which is lighter than the other two
Not sure how "thrives in urban environments" came along, unless it means "can't be found in the wild".

TheWanderingMist

A nightmare to face
But never against the morning sun
And once I mature
My intelligence crashes like the ocean
Against a swordsman's last stand
And so we rise with the wind
Bringing the bard's journey to its end
Who am I?

This one's kind of oblique, but it IS a Pokemon.

EDIT: Forgot a line. It's there now

Last edited:

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Hmm. It does seem a bit opaque, but I'm going to start by guessing inkay.

The first two lines make me think dark type, which inkay is, and the following part mentions the ocean, which makes sense as well, inkay's being marine. The line after that suggests its unevolved, so I rule out malamar. The part about intelligence makes me think psychic type, which inkay also is, and the part with the swordsman might be referring to how despite inkay is a psychic type, it still has an advantage against the ghost-type honedge (a sword pokémon) due to its also being dark type. Not so sure about the last two lines though, but this is mostly a shot in the dark (which is the type of this pokémon, is that right?).

TheWanderingMist

Hmm. It does seem a bit opaque, but I'm going to start by guessing inkay.

The first two lines make me think dark type, which inkay is, and the following part mentions the ocean, which makes sense as well, inkay's being marine. The line after that suggests its unevolved, so I rule out malamar. The part about intelligence makes me think psychic type, which inkay also is, and the part with the swordsman might be referring to how despite inkay is a psychic type, it still has an advantage against the ghost-type honedge (a sword pokémon) due to its also being dark type. Not so sure about the last two lines though, but this is mostly a shot in the dark (which is the type of this pokémon, is that right?).
Sorry, it is not Inkay. Interesting logic though. Honedge is not involved.