• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Riddle revival!

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Hmmmm, Lugia?

It's a legendary, that's pretty scary to face. The "morning sun" part might refer to the warmer, more fiery ho-oh, and it's a flying/psychic type Diving Pokémon, which would explain the references to its intelligence, the ocean and the rising with the wind. The swordsman part might refer to the fighting types it has a particular advantage against, being both flying and psychic type (like gallade, maybe?), and the end could refer to its appearing pretty late in the game.

Don't know how the "maturing" part fits in with a non-evolving pokémon, but this is just a guess.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Hmmmm, Lugia?

It's a legendary, that's pretty scary to face. The "morning sun" part might refer to the warmer, more fiery ho-oh, and it's a flying/psychic type Diving Pokémon, which would explain the references to its intelligence, the ocean and the rising with the wind. The swordsman part might refer to the fighting types it has a particular advantage against, being both flying and psychic type (like gallade, maybe?), and the end could refer to its appearing pretty late in the game.

Don't know how the "maturing" part fits in with a non-evolving pokémon, but this is just a guess.
It is not Lugia either. Also, it is not Psychic type, though the Psychic-type does play a role in the riddle.

Perhaps I made this too oblique. I'll give a big hint on the next guess.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
Ah my bad

Well they said the pokemon wasn't psychic but a psychic type was involved so I thought maybe it might be Cresselia
(Nightmare bit is obvious)

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I added a new sadistic rule that lets people jack answers that weren't justified. Remember to justify your answers, people!

TheWanderingMist

It's not Darkrai, either.

Hint:
The Pokemon belongs to a specific regional recurring character in the anime.

EDIT: I will give two more hints after this if necessary. The final hint will give away the answer very obviously, but the logic will still be up to you to figure out.

Last edited:

octoboy

I Crush Everything
A nightmare to face
But never against the morning sun
And once I mature
My intelligence crashes like the ocean
Against a swordsman's last stand
And so we rise with the wind
Bringing the bard's journey to its end
Who am I?

Moving the riddle to this page.

Hmm, I wonder if the "morning sun" refers to espeon, the Sun Pokémon. So, perhaps this is a pokémon bearing a weakness to the psychic type? You did say that type was referred to here.

I don't think I can give a proper answer, but I'm going to guess roselia. It's both weak against fire (which strengthens in the sun) and psychic (the type of both espeon and solgaleo), and if you've played Sapphire version with a swampert, you'll know it's a nightmare to face. It belonged to the bard, Nando, and it knows grasswhistle, a move which invokes flutes, also known as woodwinds. Not sure about the 4th and 5th lines, but maybe the crashing ocean could refer to water types being defeated by it. As for the swordsman, roserade looks like Zorro, he was involved in swordfights, wasn't he?

Pretty random, but it's a guess. *shrugs*

TheWanderingMist

Moving the riddle to this page.

Hmm, I wonder if the "morning sun" refers to espeon, the Sun Pokémon. So, perhaps this is a pokémon bearing a weakness to the psychic type? You did say that type was referred to here.

I don't think I can give a proper answer, but I'm going to guess roselia. It's both weak against fire (which strengthens in the sun) and psychic (the type of both espeon and solgaleo), and if you've played Sapphire version with a swampert, you'll know it's a nightmare to face. It belonged to the bard, Nando, and it knows grasswhistle, a move which invokes flutes, also known as woodwinds. Not sure about the 4th and 5th lines, but maybe the crashing ocean could refer to water types being defeated by it. As for the swordsman, roserade looks like Zorro, he was involved in swordfights, wasn't he?

Pretty random, but it's a guess. *shrugs*
Incorrect, sadly. But correct on deducing Nando as an important clue.

Well, hint 2 was going to be the bard is Nando. But seeing as @octoboy figured that out...

Hint 2: Lines 4 and 5 refer to specific moves.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
That's gotta be misdreavus. Mismagius was Nando's opponent in his final battle in the Grand Festival, using psywave against kricketune (who has prominent blades). Psywave is portrayed as looking blue, explaining the "ocean" part. The nightmare part could refer to Malice In Wonderland, where mismagius gave people nightmares, and the second line would refer to its being nocturnal. The third line narrows it down to the unevolved misdreavus, while the rising with the wind part could refer to levitate.

TheWanderingMist

That's gotta be misdreavus. Mismagius was Nando's opponent in his final battle in the Grand Festival, using psywave against kricketune (who has prominent blades). Psywave is portrayed as looking blue, explaining the "ocean" part. The nightmare part could refer to Malice In Wonderland, where mismagius gave people nightmares, and the second line would refer to its being nocturnal. The third line narrows it down to the unevolved misdreavus, while the rising with the wind part could refer to levitate.

Correct answer! Although the logic is different to what I used, it still suffices in a completely separate way I didnt anticipate. This post will be edited later with the "right" logic.

Also, @octoboy ,the final hint was going to be: "It's been staring you in the face since the beginning of this riddle".

EDIT: Here is the logic I used, since the riddle was specifically about Zoey's Misdreavus:

A nightmare to face

The common explanation for Psychic-Type weaknesses is fear, and Bug, Ghost, and Dark-Type all trigger the Rattled Ability. But only Ghost has a move called "Nightmare".

But never against the morning sun

This line may have an error, but was referring to the fact that Zoey never directly used Misdreavus in battle against Dawn.

And once I've matured

Since it eventually evolves into Mismagius

My intelligence crashes like the ocean

Actually, it was intelligence (Psy) behaving as if it were the ocean (Wave)

Against a swordsman's last stand

This is Aerial Ace. Its Japanese name is Tsubame Gaeshi, the signature technique of Sasaki Kojiro, who fell at the hand of Musashi Miyamoto.

And so we rise with the wind

In the anime, the Psywave-Aerial Ace combo caused Leafeon to grow wings

Bringing the bard's journey to its end

Nando is knocked out of the Grand Festival due to the above.

@octoboy

Last edited:

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Excellent. Here's mine:

One singer who cracked a smile
Sang to me telling me that I
Ought to be a shooting star
Sent earthward from the universe
But indeed, my trip’s the reverse
Though I don’t travel quite as far
You won’t see me reach for the sky
I’ll make some leave it for a while

TheWanderingMist

Minior?

It's smiling in its Core form, Jigglypuff is a singing Pokémon that evolves with a Moon Stone and appears in the same location, they fall to Earth, they don't live for very long which is signified by their ascent into the sky after they've fallen, and it knows Smack Down when you catch it.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
It isn't minior.

I'll give a hint after 2 more guesses

GiddyupGal

smarter than i usually act
i think it might be clefairy

it has a well-known rivalry with jigglypuff in the anime
it's thought to be an alien that came to the pokemon world
it's not flying type
and it learns the move gravity which makes flying/floating pokemon stay on the ground for 5 turns

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Clefairy is incorrect.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I don't think this is it but its worth a shot. I'm gonna say Meloetta

One singer who cracked a smile

One because its a legendery so there's only one of it.
Singer because Meloetta is based on a singer.
cracked a smile (now this is contrived :p) but Meloetta's normal form is not smilling in the offical art whereas the art of Meloetta's Pirouette form has a slight smile and to crack a smile one must first not be smiling, and then change into a smile as can be seen with the form change.

648.png
648-p.png

Sang to me telling me that I

Relic song must be sung for the for to change.

Ought to be a shooting star

Star like pop star cause thats kinda the basis for this pokemon (my guess is now falling apart :()

Sent earthward from the universe

'Many famous songs have been inspired by the melodies that Meloetta plays.'- I'm using this pokedex entry to distract from the fact that I can't make this line fit with my guess.

But indeed, my trip’s the reverse

this looks like a reference to the fighting type and is a pun on the dual meaning of trip, trip as in tripping someone up, something used in martial art throws in things like Ju-Jitsu, and trip as in journey because a jounrey is a transition as is a form change. Also reversal is a pokemon atttack, a fighting type attack even , but Meloetta can't learn Reversal, right? :( I get back to that later.

Though I don’t travel quite as far

Meloetta doen't travel far cause it doesn't have any feet.

You won’t see me reach for the sky

Because it could be hurt by all the flying types up there? barbecue when in Pirouette form its a fighting type?

I’ll make some leave it for a while

Can Meloetta learn gravity? YES YES YES

This looked kinda promising to me, but no, something was wrong. Yep I'm talking about Reversal again. so back to the drawing board? Maybe not, maybe there's another Pokemon who can learn
Reversal, gravity and sing??

Well is there? I hear you ask (well technically I here me ask, not anyone else , I doubt you care that much but alsas,)

and ...

may I present to you....

235.png

Smeargle

Wait no :( , that can't be right can it?

CAN IT?

Medicham can learn reversal and gravity but not sing
Iwas having trouble trying to find pokemon that could learn the right moves until I found the
Pokémon database moveset searcher !!!!!!

and...
'Pokémon learning Reversal, Sing, Gravity:No Pokémon found.'

OH :(

Well it doesn't need to know sing specifically so it tried just reversal and gravity. and....

we have Meditite,Medicham and Togedemaru. but none of these fit with the song motif present in the riddle, but in the riddle the singer was not the subject. but still I can't make any of these pokemon fit the riddle, not even in the super contrived way I tried for Meloetta. So guess its back to square one and the riddle isn't about moves. Its been fun and I'm terrible at this so I'll stop for now. though if I somehow was right (probably by coincidence and not my reasoning) then I've already got a good-ish riddle preped and ready.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Meloetta was the most justified answer in this case, and it's a good guess, but no, the answer is not meloetta. The rest had less justification, so I'm not saying they are or aren't for now.

Now it's time for a hint, so I'll give a big one: the singer is from our world, not pokémon's. Also, as a bonus, I'll add the reminder that "ought to be" and "am" aren't necessarily the same.

TheWanderingMist

This riddle is truly annoying. I think leaving the sky refers to either Gravity or Smack Down, and since it's going away from Earth but not into space it'd be part Flying type. Or know Levitate.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
One of those four guesses is correct. The rest are not.

I'll give a hint after two more guesses. I also suggest that this riddle will become very easy if you try to think of songs involving shooting stars.