• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Riddle revival!

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Jirachi?

One singer who cracked a smile
Sang to me telling me that I
Ought to be a shooting star
Sent earthward from the universe
But indeed, my trip’s the reverse
Though I don’t travel quite as far
You won’t see me reach for the sky
I’ll make some leave it for a while

There's a line in a shooting star song that goes 'I could really use a wish right now' and jirachi grants wishes and wakes up when the comet appear and comets are shooting stars. Jirachi learn's gravity which makes others leave the sky. Jirachi's comet was sent earthward from the universe!

I think I've got it now.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Good guess, but it isn't jirachi.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen

octoboy

I Crush Everything
No. That was one of the guesses you were wrong about.

Edit: Dang, this has everyone more stumped than I expected. How about I drop a super juicy hint after 2 more guesses? C'mon, guys, you can crack this thing!

Tangeh

I don't want to let this die, so I'll bite:

Slowpoke?

- When I think of an irl song about shooting stars, I think of that huge meme that was floating around YouTube last year
- The biggest pokemon meme I can think of is the "slowpoke" meme
- Conversely, slowpoke is lazy and, well, slow, hence not travelling far or reaching for the sky
- Slowpoke also has the "own tempo" ability, so wouldn't listen to singers

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I wouldn't have thought of that. Though to help back up your point there is a slowpoke song on the pokemon youtube channel.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Interesting argument, but it isn't slowpoke.

One more guess, and I'll give a hint.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I don't want to let this die, so I'll bite
All things will die in the end. Life can be interesting!

Just so this isn't spam, it's Banette because Beans left Glen the Spider to die while Janice the Tsareena is going to injure Sam Peterson IV for taking her cookies

octoboy

I Crush Everything
That's somewhat random, so I'll wait for a more serious attempt before dropping a hint, thank you.

Cat's Eye Draco

Could the answer be Lunatone?

It was discovered at the sight of a meteor crash. It has the ability Levitate. It doesn't have hands, so can't reach for the sky. And it's most active at night, whereas its counterpart, Solrock, is active during the day, so maybe the last line is referencing how when the moon (Lunatone) rises the sun (Solrock) sets (becomes less active)? This would also fit with the first part of the chorus to Owl City's song Shooting Star:

When the sun goes down and the lights burn out
Then it's time for you to shine
Brighter than a shooting star
So shine no matter where you are

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
One singer who cracked a smile
Ought to be a shooting star
But indeed, my trip’s the reverse
You won’t see me reach for the sky
I’ll make some leave it for a while

Meloetta was the most justified answer in this case, and it's a good guess, but no, the answer is not meloetta. The rest had less justification, so I'm not saying they are or aren't for now.

Now it's time for a hint, so I'll give a big one: the singer is from our world, not pokémon's. Also, as a bonus, I'll add the reminder that "ought to be" and "am" aren't necessarily the same.

This riddle is truly annoying. I think leaving the sky refers to either Gravity or Smack Down, and since it's going away from Earth but not into space it'd be part Flying type. Or know Levitate

One of those four guesses is correct. The rest are not.

I'll give a hint after two more guesses. I also suggest that this riddle will become very easy if you try to think of songs involving shooting stars.

Okay so thats all the clues we've got, put together.

If making them leave the sky isn't gravity and one of the four guesses are correct then I'll look for Pokemon that can learn smack down and reversal (because the trip was the reverse and a throw if martial arts is like tripping someone and this is a fighting type move called reversal ) but none of the Pokemon that can learn both seem to fit with the shooting star or the song bit, well buzzwole is from ultra space but I still can't relate it to a shooting star song so I'm guessing either smack down or reversal or both were bad guesses, if smack down was a bad guess then that helps narrow it down because one of Mist's four guesses was correct so if it isn't smack down or gravity then then pokemon must resit ground type by being flying or having the levitate
ability. There are 101 flying types and 32 pokemon that can have the abilty levitate, the only overlap between theses groups is fan rotom which gives a total of 132 pokeman that are flying or levitating or 133 if we include gengar.

edit ninja'd

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Clever guesses, but no correct ones (and I won't clarify whether Kallus's were correct, due to Kallus's not clarifying which one the guess narrowed it down to). Perhaps I should clarify that likely no one but the singer would likely say this pokémon ought to be a shooting star. Also, while one of Mist's guesses is true of the pokémon, said trait isn't actually mentioned in the riddle itself.

My new hint will be this: The singer may not send anyone to Dreamland, but if you think of how songs end, you might find it Works.

I'll also mention that it will likely help to think of what cracking entails, and what smiling entails.

Tangeh

Octo. Please don't make me analyze All Star by Smash Mouth. Made famous by the DreamWorks film Shrek.

Well uh... "Only shooting stars break the mold" I guess would mean a pokemon with mold breaker.

The only pokemon that is flying (none have an alternate ability of levitate) with the ability mold breaker is hawlucha. I've no idea about the rest of the riddle, but I'll guess hawlucha.

TheWanderingMist

Is it Cranidos?

Building @Tangeh 's All Star theory, we get Mold Breaker. And it learns Smack Down from TM, which allows it to get Flying types. And its Pokedex entry specifically mentions it battling Aerodactyl, which would mean some Aerodactyl inevitably left the sky.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Cranidos is correct!

One singer who cracked a smile Refers to Smash Mouth, as smashing means breaking like cracking, and smiling is done with the mouth
Ought to be a shooting star Tangeh correctly guessed this referred to Mold Breaker
But indeed, my trip’s the reverse Cranidos's fossil is taken up from the ground, the opposite of earthward
You won’t see me reach for the sky These two lines actually referred to its not being flying type, as it only goes as far as up from the ground, not off it
I’ll make some leave it for a while While cranidos can use Smack Down, I actually meant this line to refer to Mold Breaker's cancelling Levitate, and thus grounding otherwise airborne pokémon

This one turned out harder than I expected. Also, sorry for invoking meme flashbacks for some of you guys.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Wandering Mist has 2 days to post a riddle. If Wandering Mist does not post a riddle by this time, Tangeh may post one, as the runner up.

TheWanderingMist

Oh, woops. Guess I didn't post it. It's all written though. This one's easy. Here goes:

A simple hunter
Reveling in cool decor
It's snowing on Mt. Fuji

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Sneasel?

Mt. Silver is the pokemon equivalent of Mt. Fuji. Sneasel is catch-able in the Mt. Silver cave which would be cool (as in cold) decor as would Ice Path where Sneasel is catch-able in crystal. Sneasel is a hunter stealing eggs and attacking Sandshrew. In the the anime Sneasel is a pokemon often used by pokemon hunters and poachers such as the antagonist in the Celebii movie.

TheWanderingMist

Sneasel?

Mt. Silver is the pokemon equivalent of Mt. Fuji. Sneasel is catch-able in the Mt. Silver cave which would be cool (as in cold) decor as would Ice Path where Sneasel is catch-able in crystal. Sneasel is a hunter stealing eggs and attacking Sandshrew. In the the anime Sneasel is a pokemon often used by pokemon hunters and poachers such as the antagonist in the Celebii movie.
Interesting guess, but no. Though you are in the general area.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Absol, then? It's another carnivore-like pokémon that lives on Mt. Silver. And maybe it would like the snow because it's white, and blends in with it. It's between that and ursaring, and ursaring, as the hibernation pokémon, wouldn't revel in the cold.

(If it's ursaring, I swear...)