• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Riddle revival!

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I've only twelve, most have more;
My path is fixed, so says the lore.
One of my trio, can work a wonder
I'll dodge the hail, but fear the thunder.
Just bringing this to the latest page. I'm honestly stumped right now.

The Walrein

Okay, I guess I'll give a few hints:

In the line "I've only twelve, most have more", the majority of Pokemon actually don't have any, but those that do typically have several orders of magnitude more.

And, not every member of this species can "dodge the hail" - that was a bit of poetic license on my part.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I don't want this to die, so I'll make an educated guess here...

I'm going to guess vullaby. "Dodge the hail" reminds me of the ability, overcoat, which some, but not all vullaby have. Its "fixed path" might be how it's confined to terrestrial movement due to its short wings, and thunder is super effective on it, of course. The member of its trio that can work a wonder would be yveltal, which is the only legendary of the 3 dark/flying lines of pokémon. I have no idea what it might have 12 of, and if I'm wrong about this, it might be useful if it were clarified whether these 12 things were tangible or not.

The Walrein

Your reasoning for the "dodge the hail" and "fear the thunder" clues is correct, but Vullaby isn't the answer. I'll give a few more clues:

-The "trio" referred to isn't a trio of Pokemon, but a trio of things this Pokemon has.
-The twelve things this Pokemon has are tangible objects, and are split into three groups of four.
-The line "my path is fixed, so says the lore" refers to a Pokedex entry about the Pokemon in question.

Sorry if I didn't provide enough clues initially. If I ever come up for a riddle again, I'll definitely write more than one verse next time.

Tangeh

Well, the only other Pokemon that have overcoat and are weak to electricity are shellder / cloyster, so uh, that narrows it down. Cloyster has a dex entry that says it moves only in a straight line so, cloyster?

I've no idea about the twelve things, but I guess the trio could refer to the three held items a wild cloyster can hold (silver leaf, Pearl, big Pearl), the latter of which is worth a ton so "can work a wonder"

The Walrein

That's a good guess, but it's not Cloyster. When I said octoboy's reasoning for the "dodge the hail" clue was correct, I didn't mean the Pokemon in question had Overcoat specifically, but rather that assuming that clue referred to a certain hail-damage-negating ability only some members of the species possessed was correct.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Sounds like sigilyph to me It's about the only pokémon that has 12 feathers, its magic guard ability prevents it from hail, while another of its 3 abilities is Wonder Skin, its flying type makes thunder super effective to it, and it always flies the same route according to the pokédex.

The Walrein

Yup, that's correct!

I've only twelve, most have more: Refers to the twelve 'feathers' Sigilyph has.
My path is fixed, so says the lore: Refers to the pokedex entries describing how Sigilyph flies along a fixed route.
One of my trio, can work a wonder: This line has two interpretations: One is simply that one of Sigilyph's three abilities is Wonder Skin. The other is that Sigilyph learns Miracle Eye, and given that the move is called 'Miracle Eye' and not 'Miracle Eyes', one can infer that it can be used with only one of Sigilyph's trio of eyes, and a miracle can be considered a 'wonder'.
I'll dodge the hail: Refers to Magic Guard negating hail damage.
but fear the thunder: The electric weakness.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Sweet!

Here's a slightly simpler one than my last, which turned out to be surprisingly opaque:

To lonely folks, I don’t exist
Though lonely folks by me aren’t missed
In lands far from here, I have cousins
Numbering in half a dozen
The youngest ones could use a hand
In helping them, I once was grand
But I’ve been handed, and thus made
Far less equipped to bring them aid

The Walrein

Is it... Machamp?

It evolves via trade evolution, so lonely people might not know about its existence.

With No Guard, it won't miss lonely folks because it won't miss anything.

Machamp gains two extra hands when it evolves from Machoke, and thus has 'been handed'. According to the Ruby pokedex entry, "trying to do any work requiring care and dexterity causes its arms to get tangled", making it less able to help out as a result of this.

Now, for the lines about cousins... uh... well... let's see here... uh...

Okay, so there are six separate lines of Pokemon aside from the Machop line which can have Steadfast as an ability in at least one of their forms: Mewtwo (with Mega-Mewtwo X), the Tyrogue line, the Riolu line, the Ralts line (with Gallade), the Scyther line, and the Rockruff line. The youngest (most recently introduced) of these lines, the Rockruff line, doesn't have hands (except in Lycanroc's midnight form, sort of), and so could use help from a Pokemon that does.

Or what about: Pokemon Black, and Pokemon Black2 and White2 are the only main series games where Machop can't be found in the wild, so obviously Unova is a land far from most machop. There are six non-legendary lines of fighting-type Pokemon in Unova: The Tepig line, The Timburr line, the Throh line, the Sawk line, the Scraggy line, and the Mienfoo line. Of all these lines, the youngest form in the youngest (lowest pokedex number) line, Tepig, doesn't have hands.

...alright, I admit it. Those three lines have me stumped. But I'm still pretty sure it's Machamp on the basis of the other clues. If my answer is correct, someone else can post a riddle since I just went.

Tangeh

Maybe golem?

To lonely folks, I don't exist - Can only be obtained via trade evolution
Though lonely folks by me aren’t missed - Not sure about this one
In lands far from here, I have cousins - Alolan form
Numbering in half a dozen - Alolan & Normal geodude, graveller, and golem = 6 Pokemon total
The youngest ones could use a hand - Geodude has 2 arms
In helping them, I once was grand - Graveller has 4 arms
But I’ve been handed, and thus made - Once "handed over" to another trainer via trade...
Far less equipped to bring them aid - Graveller loses a set of arms upon evolution

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Tangeh's got it!

To lonely folks, I don’t exist - Golem is actually the only pokémon in gen 1 which isn't seen at all unless it evolves by trade, as NPCs have the other 3 trade evolutions
Though lonely folks by me aren’t missed - The Lonely Pokémon is cubone, which, as a ground type, has a type advantage against golem
In lands far from here, I have cousins
Numbering in half a dozen - These are the 6 golem pokémon, namely the 4 regis, golett and golurk
The youngest ones could use a hand - The most recently introduced line of golem pokémon has the klutz ability, which prevents them from using held items
In helping them, I once was grand - Tangeh correctly interpreted everything from here on
But I’ve been handed, and thus made
Far less equipped to bring them aid

*tosses Tangeh the Riddle Ball* Good job!

Tangeh

Nice.

Here's mine:

These older years I've stayed the same
In place and mind I have not changed
Yet my looks change from night to night
Be it purple, blue, orange, or white
Circular, square, or any shape
It's up to you - you choose my fate
A word of warning before you do -
What you do to me, I'll do to you

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Ditto

it shape shifts and is purple. you choose it's fate as it transforms into your pokemon. I thinks that covers all but the first two lines.

it lives in Cerulean Cave.

It has pokedex entires in silver and soul silver are the same showing it's mind has uh stayed the same.'Its transformation ability is perfect. However, if made to laugh, it can't maintain its disguise.'

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Castform? It has a purple hail form, a blue rain form, an orange sun form and a white regular form, and it changes if the opponent changes the weather, but this will power its weather ball to attack the opponent with the type the weather changed to. It's found in the weather institute, whether in the original Hoenn games, or the remakes.

Tangeh

Huh, that's again very good logic but not the right answer. I had no idea those were the castform colours, that's an interesting coincidence. (Don't focus on the specific colours or shapes, they're just examples)

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Is it mew then? It's technically the most primitive pokémon, as all others are descended from it, but it also knows transform, thus can use its opponents' attacks. The "mind" part may refer to its psychic type, and Faraway Island, the only place it's found, is said to be its original habitat.