• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Riddle revival!

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Tynamo? It lives in a cave, and apparently they form chains of friends to protect themselves (so the ones behind them have each other's backs literally and figuratively, and each one has another shining tynamo behind it). While its levitate ability keeps it safe from ground attacks, if it loses levitate, its electric type makes it weak against ground attacks. Not sure what it lost though, so maybe I'm off.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Not Tynamo!

Let's delve into this part of the riddle again:

Some things I can simply scoff away - Abilities! But think not of type immunity ones like Levitate. But what other abilities grant immunity to some things?
Other times, it hurts me badly any day - Types! But like this Pokemon can get hurt very badly! More than 2x effectiveness!

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Alright here’s your filthy riddle! Line up and guess one-by-one:

About my location...
It’s not something worthy
Of a vacation
Some things I can simply scoff away
Other times, it hurts me badly any day
There’s two sides to my tale
All depends on when you see my tail
Behind my back, the things that shine
What exactly are they? You’ll see in time
I will always lend a helping hand
We got each other’s backs in the end
I don’t let anyone just control me
But surely, in some way beforehand,
A part of me was removed sadly

Is it Totem Kommo-o?

It's in Poni Canyon, which is in Alola, but isn't much of a vacation spot.

It gets 3 abilities that render it immune to different things. Soundproof, Bulletproof, Overcoat.

It's 4x weak to Fairy.

Its tail is used for both scaring things and celebration.

It can only be caught by someone who collects a lot of Totem Stickers.

And in SM, it could get Shell Smash in the Battle Tree.

If it's not Kommo-O, it's probably throw ally Hakamo-o.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
@TheWanderingMist Yep! It's Kommo-o!

About my location...
It’s not something worthy
Of a vacation

References Poni Canyon which is a part of Poni Island that's mostly inhabited by Pokemon alone. Said place is where Kommo-o can be encountered.

Some things I can simply scoff away
Refers to all of its abilities being able to be immune to things like Shadow Ball, Boomburst, etc

Other times, it hurts me badly any day
Fighting/Dragon don't like Fairy attacks.

There’s two sides to my tale
All depends on when you see my tail

A reference to how Totem Kommo-o can be encountered. In SM, you encounter it last while in USUM, it's encountered second to last behind Mina's trial. And that it appears twice, one encounter in each pair of Gen VII titles.

Behind my back, the things that shine
What exactly are they? You’ll see in time

It guards a Z-Crystal which shines and how it's obtained late.

I will always lend a helping hand
We got each other’s backs in the end

It can be found in a SOS Battle with wild Jangmo-o and Hakamo-o.

I don’t let anyone just control me
Totem Kommo-o is its own thing, not owned by any trial captain (but good catch on the Totem Stickers ;p)

But surely, in some way beforehand,
A part of me was removed sadly

Reference to its Moon dex entry on how its scales were used for weapons.

I'll try better in my next riddle if I get the chance to not be so discrete on some things! My first time doing this haha. Your turn, Mist!

TheWanderingMist

Sound, sound the drums of war
I march still to their beat
Eyes like daggers
And once alone
But another I did meet.

This might be a little too difficult but we'll see.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
This makes me think arbok, due to its originally having glare (i. e. shooting daggers from one's eyes) as a signature ability. The only thing about drums that relates to arbok is its ability to crush oil drums, but ehh, worth a shot.

The Walrein

Alright, I'm going to take a wild stab and say... Noctowl?

Its prior evolution Hoot-hoot has dex entries describing how it has a metronome-like sense of rhythm and timing, and presumably Noctowl inherits this trait so it can march to the beat of a drum.
Then it has the Keen Eyes ability for the eyes like daggers line, as well as dex entries stating how it can see in low light (its vision pierces the darkness like a dagger).
The last lines about not being alone anymore could be a reference to Ash's Noctowl from the anime, who obviously was no longer alone after meeting Ash.

TheWanderingMist

This makes me think arbok, due to its originally having glare (i. e. shooting daggers from one's eyes) as a signature ability. The only thing about drums that relates to arbok is its ability to crush oil drums, but ehh, worth a shot.

Alright, I'm going to take a wild stab and say... Noctowl?

Its prior evolution Hoot-hoot has dex entries describing how it has a metronome-like sense of rhythm and timing, and presumably Noctowl inherits this trait so it can march to the beat of a drum.
Then it has the Keen Eyes ability for the eyes like daggers line, as well as dex entries stating how it can see in low light (its vision pierces the darkness like a dagger).
The last lines about not being alone anymore could be a reference to Ash's Noctowl from the anime, who obviously was no longer alone after meeting Ash.

You are...both wrong.

I might give hints real quickly for this one, but not yet.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Marshadow? It's basically a zombie soldier, and its fiery eyes look dangerous as daggers. Not sure whom marshadow would have "met", but it's worth a shot.

TheWanderingMist

Marshadow? It's basically a zombie soldier, and its fiery eyes look dangerous as daggers. Not sure whom marshadow would have "met", but it's worth a shot.
Nope. Sorry.
I'm going to check something real quick and edit in the hint if it applies.

Ok, my original hint doesn't apply so here's a different one:

Think about what "alone" could mean

Last edited:

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Hmmm. So, so far, we've been assuming that "alone" meant "unique". If we weren't wrong about that, the most recent hint from Mist would be a red herring, so maybe we've been misinterpreting it.

"Alone" could be synonymous with "lonely", and the "Lonely Pokémon" is cubone, which evolves into marowak. Alolan marowak is accompanied by its mother's spirit, and seems to be based on Hawaiian warriors, plus, its name has "whack" in it, which is the sound of something hitting something else, and it, like cubone, uses bone club, which could be compared to the beating of a drumstick. Marowak also are described in the Ultra Moon pokédex as using their clubs as drumsticks to communicate with beats. As for the "eyes like daggers", marowak is capable of using "leer", I guess?

Worth a shot. I guess marowak.

TheWanderingMist

Hmmm. So, so far, we've been assuming that "alone" meant "unique". If we weren't wrong about that, the most recent hint from Mist would be a red herring, so maybe we've been misinterpreting it.

"Alone" could be synonymous with "lonely", and the "Lonely Pokémon" is cubone, which evolves into marowak. Alolan marowak is accompanied by its mother's spirit, and seems to be based on Hawaiian warriors, plus, its name has "whack" in it, which is the sound of something hitting something else, and it, like cubone, uses bone club, which could be compared to the beating of a drumstick. Marowak also are described in the Ultra Moon pokédex as using their clubs as drumsticks to communicate with beats. As for the "eyes like daggers", marowak is capable of using "leer", I guess?

Worth a shot. I guess marowak.
Not Marowak.

You were right about alone meaning unique, though, so I guess that was a bad hint. And line 3 is probably way too obscure.

Extending the riddle:

Fangs that pierce the night
And fill all souls with dread
I am Sherman's March incarnate
There is naught left in my tread

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Maybe gyarados? It was originally the only water/flying type, and it's known to ravage cities, which has been historically recorded. Plus, it knows bite and leer.

I'm not sure if the "eyes like daggers" originally made it unique, but I'm starting to doubt it, because it seems there are very few former signature moves related to eyes.

You were right about alone meaning unique, though, so I guess that was a bad hint. And line 3 is probably way too obscure.
Yeah, it's usually a good idea for the hints to either clue the others in to something they've missed, or to clarify something they've properly interpreted.

TheWanderingMist

Maybe gyarados? It was originally the only water/flying type, and it's known to ravage cities, which has been historically recorded. Plus, it knows bite and leer.

I'm not sure if the "eyes like daggers" originally made it unique, but I'm starting to doubt it, because it seems there are very few former signature moves related to eyes.

Yeah, it's usually a good idea for the hints to either clue the others in to something they've missed, or to clarify something they've properly interpreted.
Not Gyarados, but you're on the right track in at least one way.

The Walrein

You were right about alone meaning unique, though, so I guess that was a bad hint.

Actually, I had been taking 'alone' to mean 'lacking companionship', so it was a good hint for me.

Anyways, my next guess is... Entei!

Sound, sound the drums of war
I march still to their beat

The 'drums of war' could be interpreted to mean volcanic eruptions, and entei is said in dex entries to be born whenever a new volcano appears, and causes them to erupt when it barks.

Eyes like daggers

Could be referring to Entei's Pressure ability, or its leer move.

And once alone
But another I did meet.

Not entirely sure, but Entei and the Typhlosion line are the only ones in the 'Volcano Pokemon' category. Maybe Entei was revealed before Typhlosion was?

Fangs that pierce the night
And fill all souls with dread

Entei has the Fire Fang move, which could light up the night.

I am Sherman's March incarnate
There is naught left in my tread

In its dex entries, Entei is said to 'race across the land' and it 'blasts fire that consumes all it touches'.

TheWanderingMist

Actually, I had been taking 'alone' to mean 'lacking companionship', so it was a good hint for me.

Anyways, my next guess is... Entei!

The 'drums of war' could be interpreted to mean volcanic eruptions, and entei is said in dex entries to be born whenever a new volcano appears, and causes them to erupt when it barks.

Could be referring to Entei's Pressure ability, or its leer move.

Not entirely sure, but Entei and the Typhlosion line are the only ones in the 'Volcano Pokemon' category. Maybe Entei was revealed before Typhlosion was?

Entei has the Fire Fang move, which could light up the night.

In its dex entries, Entei is said to 'race across the land' and it 'blasts fire that consumes all it touches'.
Sorry, not Entei.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I'll take a stab at reshiram. It apparently burns everything around it, has bright blue eyes (maybe its being a blue-eyed white dragon somehow factors into this, but I don't know Yu-Gi-Oh enough to be sure), and learns fire fang, which it gets STAB for, and the attack's being fire type could light up in the night. It also learns crunch, which is super effective on ghost types, so that would fill souls with dread. And, of course, it was the first dragon type to also be fire type, and the only one in Gen 5. Not sure how the drums factor into it though.

This might be easier if we knew whether this "another" was the only one like it it ever met or not. So far, I haven't been ruling out the possibility of others joining them later, but maybe that's an error.

TheWanderingMist

I'll take a stab at reshiram. It apparently burns everything around it, has bright blue eyes (maybe its being a blue-eyed white dragon somehow factors into this, but I don't know Yu-Gi-Oh enough to be sure), and learns fire fang, which it gets STAB for, and the attack's being fire type could light up in the night. It also learns crunch, which is super effective on ghost types, so that would fill souls with dread. And, of course, it was the first dragon type to also be fire type, and the only one in Gen 5. Not sure how the drums factor into it though.

This might be easier if we knew whether this "another" was the only one like it it ever met or not. So far, I haven't been ruling out the possibility of others joining them later, but maybe that's an error.
Far closer than Gyarados, but wrong.

"Another" is, in fact, the only other one like it that is not in its line.

The Walrein

Okay, I'm going to say... Hydreigon! It has the scary face move for the eyes like daggers line, its line were the only dark/dragon types until the introduction of Guzzlord, it can learn Fire Fang via breeding for piercing the night and also has Crunch for filling souls with dread, and its dex entries mention it devouring everything in its path. Also, 'in my tread' could be referring to the tread-like marks on Hydreigon's stomach and tail.

TheWanderingMist

Okay, I'm going to say... Hydreigon! It has the scary face move for the eyes like daggers line, its line were the only dark/dragon types until the introduction of Guzzlord, it can learn Fire Fang via breeding for piercing the night and also has Crunch for filling souls with dread, and its dex entries mention it devouring everything in its path. Also, 'in my tread' could be referring to the tread-like marks on Hydreigon's stomach and tail.
Good job! It is Hydreigon!

The first two lines were about how it was originally intended to be designed after tanks.

Line 3 was an 8 bit theater reference, in which a character describes a dragon as having eyes like daggers.

And it was a unique typing until Guzzlord.

And your reasoning for the 2nd half is all correct.

Honestly, the 1st two lines were terrible but I didn't want to give them up because I thought they sounded cool.

You're up, Walrein.