• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Riddle revival!

The Walrein

Okay, here's my next riddle:

It met its match, its wounds won't heal,
it must bite itself, to make its meal.
Those two it has, oppose in name;
the choice is false, they're exactly the same.
It's exactly one, it's clearly two,
One will double, it'll add something new.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
This is quite the impressively cryptic one for sure. I'll get the ball rolling by guessing delibird; the fourth line sounds to me like 2 possible abilities which share an effect, delibird having insomnia and vital spirit. It also holds food in its tail, which kind of relates to the second line, I guess? And maybe it won't heal because if it can't sleep, it can't rest? Also, apparently both Hustle and Vital Spirit increase the chance of finding high-level pokémon, so that's another overlap, and also might be what "add something new" means?

The Walrein

This is quite the impressively cryptic one for sure.

Thanks!

I'll get the ball rolling by guessing delibird; the fourth line sounds to me like 2 possible abilities which share an effect, delibird having insomnia and vital spirit. It also holds food in its tail, which kind of relates to the second line, I guess? And maybe it won't heal because if it can't sleep, it can't rest? Also, apparently both Hustle and Vital Spirit increase the chance of finding high-level pokémon, so that's another overlap, and also might be what "add something new" means?

The answer's not Delibird, but you got at least one of the clues correct.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Wimpod? Its Wimp Out ability has the same effect as golisopod's Emergency Exit ability, despite one sounding cowardly, and the other sounding like a wise decision, and if the pokémon has Emergency Exit, it would be stronger, due to being the evolved form. Why it has to bite itself, I can't guess though. Is it because it might scavenge other dead wimpods?

octoboy

I Crush Everything
It's not reuniclus, is it? Its line's two abilities are overcoat and magic guard, and while both protect it from hail and sandstorms, magic guard protects it from more. And I guess it has to bite itself to eat because it can't bite anything unless it breaks the bubble around it.

I'm starting to run out of identical/similar abilities, especially overlapping ones. If I'm wrong to think that's what Line 4 means, I hope I'm informed before I lose my mind.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I figured as much about line 3.

It's not exploud, is it? That line originally was meant to have the ability, "cacophony", but got the ability, "soundproof" instead. Soundproof appears to refer to silence, whereas cacophony refers to loudness, but the abilities have the same effect. Can't tell how the first two lines would factor into it, but this is about the last set of differently-named, identical abilities I can think of :/

The Walrein

It's not exploud, although cacophony/soundproof was a clever guess for what the pair of abilities might've been.

I'll provide some hints for the first two lines:

Line 1: This Pokemon is still 'wounded' even at full hp. This is unrelated to it having 'met its match'.
Line 2: The 'biting' referred to involves teeth, but not jaws.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Could it be gligar? It needs a razor fang to evolve into gliscor and become a better hunter (plus, scorpions/bats hunt insects, and gligar itself is in the bug breeding group) and its Dream World ability is immunity, while gliscor's is poison heal, both of which prevent poison damage despite one's name implying preventing poisoning altogether, while the other's name implies receiving the poisoning, but benefiting from it. The healing from poison heal would be the extra thing the second ability adds. Maybe "met its match" refers to its type combo, being ground meets flying, flying being ground type's match due to immunity? What it's permanently wounded from, I'm not so sure, but this seems to fit.

The Walrein

That was another creative answer, but unfortunately it's not gligar. I'll give another hint about the abilities: They weren't always 'exactly the same', but they became so when this Pokemon debuted.

Also, some hints for lines 5 and 6:
In Line 5, 'it's exactly one' could be restated to say it's exactly twelve.
Line 6 refers to what will happen when this Pokemon evolves.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
It's not teddiursa, is it?

Teddiursa has pickup and honey gather, both of which do nothing in battle, but cause teddiursa to obtain items following a battle. It's always licking honey off its own paws (thus biting itself), and when it evolves, it gets guts, which, like quick feet, give it a boost when it's under status condition.

The Walrein

No, it isn't teddiursa. Note that my previous clue about this Pokemon having abilities that weren't always exactly the same, but became so at its debut time means that this Pokemon has to be from the fourth generation or later.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I suspected.

How about blitzle? Lightningrod didn't always provide immunity to electrical attacks, but by gen 5 it did, and blitzle also gets motor drive, which also absorbs electrical attacks. As for the permanently wounded part, the word "stripes" once was used to refer to wounds...

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I'm thinking klink (or maybe klang?). Gears spin without going anywhere, and they interlock their teeth when they spin, so the gears sink their teeth into each other, meaning they bite themselves. Klink actually generates energy to support its life this way, so that could be seen as "eating" to the klink. Each gear klink has has an X eye, as if it's injured, and its match would be the other gear. As for the ability thing, apparently plus and minus got altered in gen 5 to not exclusively charge with the other ability, so plus and minus are identical now, "clearly two" referring to its third ability, clear body, which is effectively its second ability due to plus and minus becoming the same (despite their representing opposite charges). Or it could just refer to klink's being a single pokémon while having two abilities. And of course, it has extra gears added to it as it evolves.

If it's not klink, can you please give me a table to flip? I think I might need one.

The Walrein

I'm thinking klink (or maybe klang?). Gears spin without going anywhere, and they interlock their teeth when they spin, so the gears sink their teeth into each other, meaning they bite themselves. Klink actually generates energy to support its life this way, so that could be seen as "eating" to the klink. Each gear klink has has an X eye, as if it's injured, and its match would be the other gear. As for the ability thing, apparently plus and minus got altered in gen 5 to not exclusively charge with the other ability, so plus and minus are identical now, "clearly two" referring to its third ability, clear body, which is effectively its second ability due to plus and minus becoming the same (despite their representing opposite charges). Or it could just refer to klink's being a single pokémon while having two abilities. And of course, it has extra gears added to it as it evolves.

If it's not klink, can you please give me a table to flip? I think I might need one.

Klink is correct! You covered almost all the clues in your explanation, but I'll list out the meaning for each line for clarity's sake:

It met its match: Refers to each gear of the Klink having a certain predestined match with another gear, as per the Black and Alpha Saphire dex entries
its wounds won't heal: Refers to the bandage-like X-eyes.
it must bite itself, to make its meal: About the two gears interlocking with their teeth and spinning together to make the energy they need to live as per all the other dex entries
Those two it has, oppose in name: Klink's two non-hidden abilities, Plus and Minus, are named after opposite charges
the choice is false, they're exactly the same: Plus and Minus are completely interchangeable as of Gen 5, when Klink debuted.
It's exactly one: Klink is exactly one foot in height
it's clearly two: Klink is composed of two gears.
One will double: Klink's evolution Klang is exactly two feet in height
it'll add something new: Klink gains a new gear when it evolves.
It can move a lot, while staying where placed: Gears can spin around while staying in place
Should you trust it? Probably not, it's-: The rhyme scheme suggests the ending is something like 'rather two-faced', referring to how Klink literally has two different faces.

Good job octoboy! I'm looking forward to seeing your riddle!

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Yaaay, finally! I actually learned that plus and minus don't require the opposite ability from trying to decipher this thing. In any case, that second line was really clever, had me scratching my head until I thought of (the often forgettable) klink and was like, "Ohhhhhhhhh!"

Let's see how you find this one. And I might need you to call everyone else and say yours has been solved, as it appears to have scared everyone off :p

My life’s a rather tragic story
For I never got my glory
I could not be three in two
For my chance vanished into the blue
Considering all of the victor’s pride
You’d think he’d like me, but he’ll brush me aside
Unless I blend into the crowd and conform
Though if he makes me do that, I’ll raise up a storm
And maybe take the blue one’s place
Just like his predecessor left me in disgrace
But for now I’m only the one who grieves
The one who turns around and leaves

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I can't think of a good answer so I'll make a terrible guess to keep the threads from dying.

Is it Smeargle?

My life’s a rather tragic story
Smeargle's life recently got worse cause now Dark Void always fails when used by smeargle but it used to work just fine.
For I never got my glory
When the last time smeargle was celebrated or anything?
I could not be three in two
smeargle couldn't be three in two, that's for sure and certain.
For my chance vanished into the blue
If you painted a picture of a blue smeargle on a blue background using only one shade of blue then...
You’d think he’d like me, but he’ll brush me aside
Smeargle's tail is a brush.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Thanks for breaking the ice there. It isn't smeargle though.