• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Riddle revival!

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Not arceus.

Moving the riddle to this page:

The ancient thing that shall stay dead
Unlike the thing who clings to bed
Can swiftly end the lives of three
But can’t end one so easily
And cannot bring to life the sixth
To find the two above’s the trick
So take the holder of the one
Think of his end to start the fun
For that, you see, ‘s when I sit down
The sixth’s end’s me, I share this crown

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.

Solgaleo?

- Whilst not dead Necrozama stays in a weakened state in S/M
Unlike the thing who clings to bed- Lunala is the moon emissary and thus assicoated with night time, when is when beds are used.
Can swiftly end the lives of three - Lunala has a type advantage over poison, fighting and psychic types
But can’t end one so easily - Lunala is weak to ghost type attacks despite one of its types being super effecitivwe against ghost.
And cannot bring to life the sixth - i gues stht aline six refers to Dawn Wings Necrozma, which lunala can't bring to life as it is Necrozama possessing Lunala not the other way around.
To find the two above’s the trick - Lunala and Necrozama's trick is to fuse into Dawn Wings Necrozma.
So take the holder of the one - I guessed that the one in line 4 was the ghost type, so a holder of the one would be a ghost type.
Think of his end to start the fun - the end of a ghost type could be another ghost type as that is one of their weaknesses.
The sixth’s end’s me, - I guessed that Dawn Wings Necrozma was the sixth and it's ghost typing is super effective against Solgaleo
I share this crown - Solgaleo shares the crown with Lunala as they are both Alola box legends.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Well thought out, but it isn't solgaleo.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
That’s it! octoboy is a spy on Gamefreak and the answer is a Gen 8 Pokemon, that being Dracovish!

It shall stay dead because it looks like it’s suffering and will die if not in water! Can end things though! Finding two is two fossil pieces to make fossil chimera!

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Ha ha ha, no.

I'll give a hint after a non-joke answer is given.

Cat's Eye Draco

Still have no idea, but we need that hint, so... Zekrom?

In your final battle with N in BW he uses Carracosta and Archeops, ancient Pokemon that have to be revived from fossils, which are usually found buried in the ground. You can only obtain one of them initially, and whichever you don't choose remains "dead".

Carracosta's typings give it an advantage over Reshiram, Archeops, and Vanilluxe, all Pokemon used by N in Pokemon White.

Yeah, I got nothing for these two.

N.

You are required to use Zekrom to defeat him.

Zekrom and Reshiram are both box legendaries, were once owned by the Heroes of Unova, and N is the King of Team Plasma and current Champion of Unova when you defeat him with Zekrom.

Last edited:

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Not zekrom.

I'll give you a two for one: "end the lives of" in this case is literal; it does not mean "cause to faint", it actually means "end the lives of". Also, "his end" doesn't mean "his bane". Essentially, type advantages or other advantages in battle don't factor into this riddle at all.

Also, you're on the right track thinking of fossils regarding the earlier parts of the riddle, though you might want to think a little more outside the box than usual. The second line is the easiest one to figure out in the riddle, I'd say, so it might be the best start.

fango pango

You're My Man Of War
We talkin fossils that are outside the box? Bam Relicanth. Shares a lot of properties with other fossil Pokemon (and is considered a living fossil), but isn't specified as one because...you don't get it from a fossil? So if this is the correct thought process, the obvious thing would be something to do with the Regis, right?

Just something to maybe veer us to the right direction. There's probably other fossil pokemon that are outside the box too, but it's the one I came up with immediately.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Well thought out, but no, relicanth is not involved in this riddle.

I'll point out that relicanth, not having been fossilized, was technically never dead.

matthew11

8000 MMR
Since we're talking about fossils, I'm gonna throw in Genesect. T'was revived by Plasma from a fossil before modifications. Too lazy to analyze the other lines though.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Is it Anorith?

The second line is the easiest one to figure out in the riddle, I'd say, so it might be the best start. - Unlike the thing who clings to bed.

I was thinking 'huh' what is ancient but clings to a bed, well Mimikyu is like blanket which you get on beds and stufful is well a stuffed toy, but then it hit me like a runaway train, they don't cling to beds and they're not ancient either, but you what does cling to a bed and is ancient? The Lileep line, but it's not just any bed it's the sea bed.

Now where do I go from here?

Well The ancient thing that shall stay dead, Unlike the thing who clings to bed - So if Lileep is resurrected then the ancient thing is not and shall stay dead. or perhaps its because Lilieep's inspiration is not extinct unlike the inspirations for the other fossils.

But if it stayed dead then how is the ancient thing a Pokemon? Well it's could to be a ghost, what ghost types are ancient and extinct? The Dreepy line immediately come to mind, but if my memory serves me correctly then that line is too new to be part of this riddle as is Galarian Corsola. Now Decidueye is an extinct animal that's a ghost type pokemon but it's not all that ancient. Maybe it's not a ghost type after all and just another fossil as previously suggested. Well they all stay dead in that their inspirations are all still extinct (well the horseshoe crab isn't but that's not enough to rule out kabuto) but none of them stay dead cause they are all revived (IRL it wouldn't be resurrecting the animal just creating another animal with it's DNA but in pokemon it's not so clear cut) so how do I single one out? Well lets look at this in a different light if it will stay dead unlike Lileep then maybe the ancient thing that shall stay dead is Anorith as in RS and ORAS once you picked one fossil the other will sink into the sand so if you picked the root fossil then the claw fossil will sink away into the sand meaning Anorith won't be revived from the fossil and will as of thus stay dead. Or perhaps another reason why Anorith will 'stay dead' is because as the dex says 'When restored Anorith are released into the ocean, they don't thrive, because the water composition has changed since their era.'

Can swiftly end the lives of three, But can’t end one so easily, And cannot bring to life the sixth - But who do these lines refer to? Is it The ancient thing that shall stay dead or the thing who clings to bed? Or something else entirely?
I'll give you a two for one: "end the lives of" in this case is literal; it does not mean "cause to faint", it actually means "end the lives of".
End the lives, literally aye? Well in game pokemon aren't ending any lives but some dex entries to refer to pokemon eating one another, or maybe this refers to what caused the extinction of the ancient pokemon? In it's Emarlad pokedex entry it is said about Lileep that Unsuspecting prey that come too close [to Lileep] are swallowed whole. Now I'd say that swallowing prey whole is a pretty swift end. But which 3 lives does it swiftly end? The pokedex entries for both Lileep and it's evolved form Cradily offer no help there. Maybe this line doesn't refer to Lileep or Cradily? Looking at the dex entries for the fossil pokemon both the Unova fossil prey on the Omanyte line, but that still doesn't quite fit this line of the riddle. Rereading the riddle perhaps these lines refer to
The ancient thing that shall stay dead who I had deduced (perhaps incorrectly) was Anorith. About Anorith the dex says 'It uses its extending claws to catch prey hiding among rocks on the seafloor.' So Anorith definitely ends lives, but of 3? Who are the 3? About Armaldo the Dex says 'Armaldo usually lives on land. However, when it hunts for prey, it dives beneath the ocean.' this doesn't help narrow down who the 3 are but that it still hunts underwater is good to know as if it didn't then that would alter the search parameters. Kabuto lived on the seafloor so it would make sense for Armaldo to hunt it, but that is of course conjecture.

To make things clearer, this riddle's answer isn't directly referred to in any of the lines except the last two, the other lines referring to hints that lead to the ultimate answer. Thus, the "ancient thing that shall stay dead" is not itself the answer to this riddle. As such, if anyone attempts to decipher any of the lines, I will confirm or deconfirm whether those guesses are correct. None have been so far.

Now though I've guessed that the riddle refers to both Lileep and Anorith, I don't think either of those are the ultimate answer. But as I'm stumped with the middle bit I'll take a look at the last few lines under the assumption that the first twolines are referring to Lileep and Anorith.

The Sixth ay? The sixth what? Well there have been alot of fossil pokemon in this riddle (if I've been correct thus far) so who is the sixth fossil pokemon? That depends on how we order them....umm...... Lets try something else what about the sixth line of the riddle? To find the two above’s the trick.. maybe but lets not put the cart before the horse as the last line isn't the first line to refer to the sixth, no line five is And cannot bring to life the sixth, Bring life?

Wait what if I'm wrong about the fiirst two lines?

Maybe their not about Anorith and Lileep but instead about Omanyte and Kabuto? Omanyte shall stay dead as it is extinct but the pokedex references cases of Kabuto being found alive on the seabed as a so-called living fossil, if this were the case then these lines So take the holder of the one Think of his end to start the fun could be referring to the Unova fossils being said to both prey on Omanyte as line one may refer to Omantye and being preyed on will end you.
To find the two above’s the trick Well if they were Kabuto and Omanyte then a trick they share is the water type.
The sixth’s end’s me, I share this crown so line six refers to water but Octoboy said it wasn't about type advantages.... Well earlier on in my ramblings I mentioned how the dex says When restored Anorith are released into the ocean, they don't thrive, because the water composition has changed since their era so if they can't thrive they'll sooner or later die out, meaning that water ends them. So I'm going to that the pokemon in the riddle is Anorith!

But wait who shares this crown? Who else wouldn't survive in today's waters? Surely they'd be just as likely to be the right answer? Well that fits for Galarian Corsala who went extinct due ancient climate change affecting water conditions but no this riddle is too old to be referring to Galarian Corsala... Who then? Amaura perhaps, the pokedex says it wouldn't survive in today's climate, so whilst not being due to the water Anorith does share the crown of not thriving in today's environment.

I'm not sure if I'm exactly right but hopefully I've been barking up the right tree.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
You're closer than anyone has been so far, but anorith isn't the answer, nor is it referred to anywhere in the riddle. You have correctly deciphered line 2, though, and I'll say now, lileep is the only fossil pokémon this riddle alludes to. If you can think of what makes lileep unique as a fossil pokémon, you might get closer to figuring out what the ancient thing is.

I'll tell you that you've certainly hit on something here:

But if it stayed dead then how is the ancient thing a Pokemon?

As I've said, this one requires some thinking outside the box.

Cat's Eye Draco

Is it Yveltal?

The ultimate weapon is shaped kind of like a flower, and Lileep is based on sea lilies. Also, since it's a machine, it was never alive to begin with and would therefore stay dead.

In Pokemon Y, Lysandre attempts to use the weapon to kill the player, their rival, and Shauna.

Might be a reference to AZ or his Floette, who were both made immortal by the weapon.

Don't know this one.

Lysandre is presumably killed when the weapon backfires.

Yveltal is used to power the weapon in Y, and is a box legendary.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Good thinking, and you're a bit closer in some aspects, but it isn't yveltal.

I'll let you know that "dead" in this case means "formerly alive". Though, I suppose in the case of the ancient thing being referred to, that's technically debatable, but it seems pretty easily inferrable that it's formerly alive.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
This guess feels less logical more jumping-to-conclusions-y than my last one but I wanted to make another guess.

Is it Cloyster?

But if it stayed dead then how is the ancient thing a Pokemon?

Previously I had considered that perhaps the ancient thing is not a pokemon but Octoboy's most recent hint leads to think it is a pokemon after all. Beside from humans, plants, fungi and Pokerus what is living (or was at one point living) in the pokemon world that isn't a pokemon? nothing really comes to mind. (well there are a few mentions of animals...)

If it is a pokemon that is dead, one would assume that it's a ghost type but I've already looked at the ghost types in relation to the 'ancient thing that shall stay dead. The only ghosts that seems to be ghosts of once living pokemon were introduced after this riddle was posted. Well without being a ghost how could a pokemon be dead and still be a pokemon? Well maybe it isn't a pokemon anymore maybe it's completey extinct but then how would we even know of it's existence? If it was revived as a fossil? But Lileep has been confirmed to be the only fossil alluded to in the riddle... Maybe the ancient thing is Lileep? But how could Lileep be both the ancient thing and the thing that clings to bed? The two are contrasted angiast each other, one is dead... the other is not... well theres more than one Lileep in existance but no, I feel like staying dead refers to the whole speices and in that case Lileep cannot be the ancient thing.

Lets try something else.
If you can think of what makes lileep unique as a fossil pokémon, you might get closer to figuring out what the ancient thing is.
I mean I want to figure out what the riddle as a whole alludes to, not what just what the ancient thing is... but I guess I'd be a starting point to figure out the rest of the riddle.

Now what is unique about Lileep unique amongst the fossils? That is the question. Well one could say that it unque as it is based off of a plant not an animal... except Lileep is the sea Lily pokemon and sea lilies aren't plants they're animals... well that may be true but cradily's catergory is the Barnacle pokemon and Cradily doesn't seem very barnacle like to me... Either way they're the only grass type Fossils so that's something unique about Lileep, could the ancient thing be a grass type... I don't think so. at leat not a grass ghost type, as both the Kalos grass ghost are said to be made of human souls, well we've still got Alolan ghost and grass types.... Decidueye isn't ancient so all my hopes are pinned on Dhelmise.

Lets take a closer look at Dhelmise in that case.
The soul of seaweed adrift in the waves became reborn as this Pokémon. It maintains itself with new infusions of seabed detritus and seaweed.
Seem dead enough to me but what about ancient?
After a piece of seaweed merged with debris from a sunken ship, it was reborn as this ghost Pokémon.
It can't be as old as the pre-humanity fossils then but in real world terms it can be plenty ancient and still be from a ship after all the ancient Egyptian had ships. But is it ancient, well 'Does it learn ancient power?' would be fair check as the pokedex doesn't mention ancientness.... Sadly it seems that Dhelmise can't learn ancient power... I mean it could still be ancient but a lack of being dispoven is not the same as being proven.

Back to the drawing board then? But what else is unique about Lileep, it's not the only fossil with a unique typing. I'm drawing a blank, lets go back to Dhelmise then. Now Dhelmise if it were the ancient thing, can 'swiftly end the lives of three'... so does this clue fit with Dhelmise? Well Dhelmise hunts Waillord and other 'big prey'... what else could be 'big prey' for Dhelmise? Bulbapedia says that it preys on Wailmer as well, I don't know the source of this claim though but it's still big prey for Dhelmise. Another huge sealife pokemon is school from Wishiwashi but that's lots of small fish not one big one, so is there another 'big prey' for Dhelmise? What about Lapras? It lives in some of the same regions as Dhelmise and is big enough prey.

But can’t end one so easily - so if Wailmer,Wailord and Lapras are the 3 pokemon that Dhelmise swiftly ends that what is the one that it doesn't end so easily? Maybe it's Skrelp as the two pokemon are said to get along well so it'd be harder for Dhelmise to kill something it sees as a friend rather than what it sees as lunch.

And cannot bring to life the sixth - This line stumps me yet again. Most pokemon cannot bring life to many things and who or what is the sixth? Dhelmise is genderless, and so can't breed as easily as most pokemon, perhaps that is why it cannot bring life. This would make the sixth what exactly though? Well maybe the sixth is another pokemon as Dhelmise can only breed with ditto and can only produce Dhelmise Eggs where as most pokemon can produce eggs of another species. (This of course doesn't answer which pokemon the sixth is but I'll get back to that later.)

Think of his end to start the fun - Right so I've assumed that the two are Dhelmise and Lileep. but which is the holder of the one then? Maybe one as in line one? So Lileep? Or maybe it's Dhelmise cause it holds one anchor... yeah lets go with Dhelmise, but what ends Dhelmise? Well part of Dhelmise comes from a sunken ship, and an iceberg famously sunk a ship. So ice type? Or maybe the bergmite line Specifically?

The sixth’s end’s me, I share this crown - So what is the Sixth and where does the Ice type come into this? The sixth line is 'To find the two above’s the trick' and their shared trick would be the grass type... but previously I said the sixth was a pokemon.... maybe it's a grass type then? But one that Dhelmise can't bring life to...so not dhelmise, then maybe Lileep? What does lileep end? Well it lives in warm sees and hunted prey in ancient times but the answer isn't a fossil pokemon (and Relicanth was also deconfirmed) but what else lived in the ancient seas for Lileep to prey on? Nothing springs to mind. Maybe I'm forgetting the ice type, if I'm right about line 8 then the ice type is impoerant, but what ice type would live in warm seas? and in ancient times no less..... What do sea lilies prey on? Plankton.... but I can't think of a plankton pokemon yet alone an Ice type one. Cloyster is an ice that seems to live in warm oceans as Kingler prey on them and Kingler seem to live in warm oceans. So I'll guess Cloyster?

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Cloyster is not the answer. You're getting colder, though you've hit on why lileep is mentioned, and what it shares with the ancient thing. Which, I'll say right now, you were right about not being a pokémon.

Also, I'll clarify that "bring to life" doesn't actually mean "give birth to". There are other ways a pokémon can start a new "life" so to speak, after all.