• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Scent-Sation (026)

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Something I always wondered about. Why id that Pewter City gym had a fully functional fire surpression system. Yet Celadon Gym had a small forest inside and it had no fire surpression system.

Heracross

Custom User Title
That is a good point. You'd think they would anticipate things like that since many trainers would bring their favorite fire type along for the battle.XD

V

vulpix

luvin this episode.Ash dresses as a girl,witch made me luv this apisode even more!!

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
It would have been interesting if Ash had returned to finish match. Especially with Charizard (on second thought, it would have been very dangerous o_o).

By the way, Erika mentioned that Gloom stinks for defense. However, her Gloom is the only one in the entire series that had that ability.

Heracross

Custom User Title
ChaosMage said:
Hilarious. I just wish that the battle could officially end.
Am I the only person on the forums who actually liked the ending to this episode? >_> Whenever I see people complaining about how Satoshi's badges were 'given' to him in Kanto I feel like they're talking about this one (and probably even more the Sabrina ep).

I couldn't care less whether Satoshi finished his battle with Erika or not, it was a great ending. Satoshi runs out of the burning gym unharmed, carrying Kusaihana safely in his arms, excellent music plays. What's not to like? And it's not like he didn't earn his badge either, he proved that he has a lot of courage and bravery and a great love of pokémon, and Erika thought that was enough reason for him to have it. After all, it's up to the gym leader to decide whether the challanger has earned a badge or not, not the fans.:p

Not to mention in the process of torching the gym, thr Rocket-Dan had one of their best blast-offs to date in my humble opinion. For once it made sense for them to blast off because they had explosives with them (unlike the countless times they've exploded into the stratosphere from simply being shocked with electricity), and instead of being panicked and disorderly, they were calm and in control as they flew off into the night sky, confident that they had secured the secret ingredient to the perfume (which of course didn't turn out all that well XD). The way they animated it was pretty sweet as well, I might add.

Last edited:
I loved James's glasses when he was pretending to be Ashley's father. Too funny! The secret ingredient to the perfume was funny, as well, especially when TR opened it^^. Overall, the whole episode was meant to be quite funny, and showcase Gloom IMO. This could've been a good prequel to a real Gym battle, I think. Although, it's a pity that Ash was 'given' his badge AGAIN -.-. I know he earned it and all, but that doesn't stop me from disapproving the whole idea.

Overall rating:
6.9 out of 10!!
We've had much better Gym battles. But, the humor aspect of this episode kinda made up for the failure as a Gym Battle.

SC~ out

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
I think this is better than Ash winning. It proved he has something that is needed to be a truly great trainer. He has a heart. Too bad Hoenn is so shallow. If it was this deep into what it truly means to be a trainer, maybe it would be better.

Alfonso

Derpgull
The Big Al said:
I think this is better than Ash winning. It proved he has something that is needed to be a truly great trainer. He has a heart. Too bad Hoenn is so shallow. If it was this deep into what it truly means to be a trainer, maybe it would be better.

...Ash's goal is to be a Pokemon Master. To achieve this, you seem to have to win one of/all of The Pokemon Leagues. To do this, you must win tough battles. To get the experience for tough battles, you must first experience slightly less tougher battles... the Gym Battles. Ash ain't going to win the Houen League or any other League by saving some random Pokemon, or making the Champion laugh.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Alfonso said:
...Ash's goal is to be a Pokemon Master. To achieve this, you seem to have to win one of/all of The Pokemon Leagues. To do this, you must win tough battles. To get the experience for tough battles, you must first experience slightly less tougher battles... the Gym Battles. Ash ain't going to win the Houen League or any other League by saving some random Pokemon, or making the Champion laugh.

*Smacks forehead in utter futility.* I don't believe you. You don't get what I'm saying. It's not only about winning the league. People talk about how the anime is not like the games. Yet they ignore the fact a trainer has to do more than win. Trainer is more than their wins. Ash built character in Kanto. Why can't you understand this?

Heracross

Custom User Title
Don't worry, The Big Al I understand what you're saying and I couldn't agree more. I really couldn't care less about the actual gym battle, I thought this episode was excellent as it is. As I said before, it just wouldn't be the same if he simply defeated Erika and she handed him a badge. That's so formulaic I could vomit.:p

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
This is why Kanto is better than Hoenn. In Kanto, they buuilt Ash's character. He grew up in Kanto like most pre-teens/teens. In Hoenn, he's either really mature or really dumb (depends on whether they want him to win or not).

I want an episode like this where Ash shows he has the true qualities of great trainer. This wasn't a pity badge. This a badge given because Ash proved he has (had actually) those qualities. So what if your champoin, if you've lost your humanity in the process, is it really a victory.

Like I said, people have a double standard. In battle people say it's not like the games. Yet when some people try to point out that Ash gained the "pity badges" because he had other qualities the gym leader saw as proof he deserved it, these same people complain that these qualities don't win matches.

Heracross

Custom User Title
It's not so much that as people who claim to like Hoenn so much because it's original and has good episode plots, yet complain about this episode when it's both original and has a good plot. They hate episodes that are formulaic and predictable but they want this episode to be formulaic and predictable.

Last edited:

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Okay, something just crossed my mind. In the dub Jessie and James called ASh Ashly when he was dressed like a girl. What did they call Satoshi in the original Japanese version?

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
The Big Al said:
Okay, something just crossed my mind. In the dub Jessie and James called ASh Ashly when he was dressed like a girl. What did they call Satoshi in the original Japanese version?
I think it was something along the lines of Satoko.
Of course, I haven't actually seen the episode in japanese, and I'm just judging by the text under a pokesho image, so...meh. :p

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Okay, I was on another thread talking about Ashly and it has been making me wonder. I want Pokemon 1 Subtitled. :(

Phantom_Bugsy

So hot he's on fire.
....my favorite part of this ep is the Tangela and the Weepinbell. XD SO CUTE.

But yanno....I wonder if May would have an interest in this gym? I mean, she HAS a Bulbasaur....and she likes girly things...:0

E

English Avatarman

This is my first post in pokemon anime so be patient with me!

I thing a better name for this ep wouuld be pokeon scent-station
imagine having a gym battle turned down just because you don't like perfume!
and also, how did Erika know TR were trying to find the perfume!
The nose gag was hillarios though!

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
She didn't know. However Jessie shoved the vile they nabbed for the world to see. I think Erika would know what she put the gloom oil in.

Expanding out into Celadon City. We didn't get to squat see of it. It's the largest city in the whole region and it gets one episode. No game corner, no TR hideout. Just the gym battle. It deserved much more recognition.