• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Shuffle Mega Viability Rankings V2

komedy27u

Pokémon Shuffle Mega Viability Rankings V2

~Mega Viability Rankings~

Say hello to the V2 of Pokémon Shuffle Mega Viability Rankings.

Shuffle is not a hardcore or competitive game by any means, but as in any Pokémon game some naturally stand out more than others, and like other recent games Mega Evolution is a key feature in Shuffle. Here we will organize a list ranking the different Mega Evolutions for their general usefulness in this mess of a game to provide a reference for what Megas are most effective. For those familiar with Smogon viability rankings, this will function similarly to their tier rankings. Remember that this is a group effort so if you disagree with where something is placed feel free to suggest a change.

Resources:
First version.
Mega Evolution Rates and Speedup Tables.
Abilities
Skill Levels Information
Type Immunities to Status Effects

A rank
These are the most effective Megas currently in the game. Most of the time they are your first choice in a stage, as they will generally be the most effective due to their ability to set up combos, quick Mega Evolution and/or efficiency with clearing the board of unwanted disruptions. However they aren't almighty and not necessarily the best option for every occasion.

359_m.png
354_m.png
445_m.png
094-m.png
362_m.png
130_ms.png
303_m.png
150-m.png
384_m.png
248_m.png

359_m.png

Mega Absol (CANDIED)

359_md_c.gif

354_m.png

Mega Banette (CANDIED)

354_md_c.gif

445_m.png

Mega Garchomp (CANDIED)

445_md_c.gif

094-m.png

Mega Gengar

094_md.gif

362_m.png

Mega Glalie (CANDIED)

362_md_c.gif

130_ms.png

Mega Gyarados-Shiny (CANDIED)

130_msd_c.gif

303_m.png

Mega Mawile (CANDIED)

303_md_c.gif

150-m.png

Mega Mewtwo Y

150_md.gif

384_m.png

Mega Rayquaza (CANDIED)

384_md_c.gif

248_m.png

Mega Tyranitar (CANDIED)

248_md_c.gif

B rank
The equivalent of the Over Used tier, as they are effective in many situations and may sometimes be the best choice, especially if Super Effective. They might lack the ability to set up combos efficiently or may take longer to Mega Evolve, but these Megas will often perform well in their given role.

359-m.png
181_m.png
354-m.png
015_m.png
257-m.png
006-m.png
445-m.png
362-m.png
130-ms.png
214_m.png
448-m.png
310_m.png
018_m.png
384-m.png
212_m.png
319_m.png
080-m.png

359-m.png

Mega Absol

359_md.gif

181_m.png

Mega Ampharos (CANDIED)

181_md_c.gif

354-m.png

Mega Banette

354_md.gif

015_m.png

Mega Beedrill (CANDIED)

015_md_c.gif

257-m.png

Mega Blaziken

257_md.gif

006-m.png

Mega Charizard Y

006_md.gif

445-m.png

Mega Garchomp

445_md.gif

362-m.png

Mega Glalie

362_md.gif

130-ms.png

Mega Gyarados-Shiny

130_msd.gif

214_m.png

Mega Heracross (CANDIED)

214_md_c.gif

448-m.png

Mega Lucario

448_md.gif

310_m.png

Mega Manetric (CANDIED)

310_md_c.gif

018_m.png

Mega Pidgeot (CANDIED)

018_md_c.gif

384-m.png

Mega Rayquaza

384_md.gif

212_m.png

Mega Scizor (CANDIED)

212_md_c.gif

319_m.png

Mega Sharpedo (CANDIED)

319_md_c.gif

080-m.png

Mega Slowbro

080_md.gif

C rank
This Megas manage themselves relatively well on their respective areas, but the presence of better options or key flaws limit their effectiveness, so they end up not being used as often. However there are still many situations where they can still be the best option or a good alternative.

181-m.png
214-m.png
310-m.png
303-m.png
308-m.png
150_mx.png
254-m.png
319-m.png

181-m.png

Mega Ampharos

181_md.gif

214-m.png

Mega Heracross

214_md.gif

310-m.png

Mega Manetric

310_md.gif

303-m.png

Mega Mawile

303_md.gif

308-m.png

Mega Medicham

308_md.gif

150_mx.png

Mega Mewtwo X (CANDIED)

150_mxd_c.gif

254-m.png

Mega Sceptile

254_md.gif

319-m.png

Mega Sharpedo

319_md.gif

Last edited:

komedy27u

Pokémon Shuffle Mega Viability Rankings V2 part 2

D rank
Megas in this rank have notable flaws that keep them from being stronger outside of specific cases or type advantage. These Megas aren't necessarily ineffective and might be useful in determinated situations or in an specific niche, but they tend to be less reliable than Megas above.

009-m.png
094_m_c_fw.png
130-m.png
380-m.png
381-m.png
376-m.png
150-mx.png
018-m.png
212-m.png
260-m.png
003-m.png

009-m.png

Mega Blastoise

009_md.gif

094_m_c_fw.png

Mega Gengar (COSTUMED)

094_m_cd.gif

130-m.png

Mega Gyarados

130_md.gif

380-m.png

Mega Latias

380_md.gif

381-m.png

Mega Latios

381_md.gif

376-m.png

Mega Metagross

376_md.gif

150-mx.png

Mega Mewtwo X

150_mxd.gif

018-m.png

Mega Pidgeot

018_md.gif

212-m.png

Mega Scizor

212_md.gif

260-m.png

Mega Swampert

260_md.gif

003-m.png

Mega Venusaur

003_md.gif

E rank
Megas in this rank are only useful for a very specific niche or situation and tend to perform very poorly outside of it. They might have notable flaws that keep them from being usable elsewhere or they may be completely outperformed by another similar Mega. There are stages where these Megas stand out but they should not be relied upon most of the time. Closely related to the Never Used tier.

460-m.png
142-m.png
065-m.png
015-m.png
282-m.png
208-m.png
248-m.png

460-m.png

Mega Abomasnow

460_md.gif

142-m.png

Mega Aerodactyl

142_md.gif

065-m.png

Mega Alakazam

065_md.gif

015-m.png

Mega Beedrill

015_md.gif

282-m.png

Mega Gardevoir

282_md.gif

208-m.png

Mega Steelix

208_md.gif

248-m.png

Mega Tyranitar

248_md.gif

F rank
The Audino rank. These Megas are those that may have utility in the earlier stages of the game but quickly become outclassed as other Megas become available, or maybe they simply came too late to be used anymore. Whether it's due to low power or being completely outcasted by other Megas, they see little to no use once other options become available, ideal for our Tutorial Mega and it's friends.

334-m.png
531-m.png
006-mx.png
719-m.png
115-m.png
428-m.png
302-m.png
302_m_c_fw.png

334-m.png

Mega Altaria

334_md.gif

531-m.png

Mega Audino

531_md.gif

006-mx.png

Mega Charizard X

006_mxd.gif

719-m.png

Mega Diancie

719_md.gif

115-m.png

Mega Kangaskhan

115_md.gif

428-m.png

Mega Lopunny

428_md.gif

302-m.png

Mega Sableye

302_md.gif

302_m_c_fw.png

Mega Sableye (COSTUMED)

302_m_cd.gif

Last edited:

R_N

I think our current rankings are fine. Adding +/- tiers or an S Rank only really makes sense to break apart the C Rank tier. But C Rank's the average and I don't think it makes sense to split it up right now

I also don't agree with a Niche ranking. Right now it'd just be Aero & Steelix and that's covered fine with D Rank.

I still think Mega Ray should be B Rank. Like I've said before, when Mega Ray gets going it's super useful in most cases for reasons why Mega Gengar can still get good usage on NFE or NEutral stages.
But it's getting there that's the problem. Otherwise it requires Mega Start or some candies applied. Even the upcoming Mega Boost+ dragon (Zygarde 10%) won't be that useful due to low power (Mawile & Steelix at least get the strong Jirachi) and not disappearing due to the effect's no dragon caveat.

I also want to avoid a mega speed up list both because it's still difficult to get them and because there's some logic in spreading them around. But also, because, like, it would only really effect Mega Ray's ranking. He's the only one I've seen where it's basically a requirement and would drastically effect his placement. Meanwhile I don't think even the mega lollipops would cause Sableye to go jumping up a bunch of places and the C Rank plateau would still be pretty C Rank

e: Also MLUs have the issue of only being on a very small selection of megas. Both charizards, venusaur, blastoise, sableye & altaria off the top of my head. Not worth having a list at this point, honestly.

Splitting up C-Rank seems fine but the others can stay where it is at the moment simply because C-Rank is rather crowded. Otherwise do not split the rankings at all.

WRT Speedups and Max Levels we have ten Speedups and two RML's readily available from a casual standpoint assuming casuals can make Level 51 of any escalation battle (Gira1, Cress, Darkrai, Passcode, Gira2, Keld1, Keld2, Kyurem, Darkrai2, Mission) so you can theoretically max out any mega bar Rayquaza but can only increase Max Level of affected megas by two at most so the latter is irrelevant while the former can have some relevance, but I do not think it will affect the list that much at all bar Rayquaza being solid A and maybe Garchomp in A.

I wouldn't be opposed to creating an "Aerodactyl Rank" for those really binary megas (that is, either they are one of the best for the stage or they are terrible with no middle ground) between C and D for things like Aero, Steelix, Diancie, and Mawile, but I am not attached to the issue.

If we are not factoring Speedups, then Mega Rayquaza has no business being in A and should simply be dropped to B. You might have the game's best effect but if you never mega evolve in most cases and your Mega Boosters cannot be affected by your effect, then you aren't that great.

Also talking about B Rank, I believe we should move Mega Mewtwo X into B Rank and not the D Rank it is currently in. It might be an endgame mega, but of all the Fighting-types, it is by far the most practical; I can name many scenarios where I would rather run a MMX Fighting squad over Lucario/Medicham optimise. Before anyone mentions its initial Psychic-typing, I do not think it is that relevant at all because at most, you will only miss out on 1,125 DMG. That is assuming no speedup investment at all. This loss in damage output is generally only relevant in about 2% of scenarios as otherwise, you either belt the opponent or lose by miles in the other 98%. MMX also comes with great support in Machamp for Ejecting, Gallade who really helps patch up the MMX team's block weakness, and Lucario who can increase damage output with Pummel. It's no different to Mega Blaziken, and that is in B. It is certainly better than anything in D, is much more practical than pretty much anything in C as well, and compares favourably to those in B at the moment. After all, how is a Mega that is "still effective in many situations and will generally pull their weight in stages, especially when they're Super Effective" and something that "performs well in their given role" in D?

I feel the rankings can be tooled around a bit, but MMX definitely feels out of place where it is at the moment.

R_N

I don't haveI would not put Mawile in its own "Niche" rank, honestly.

The reason I pushed for C Rank eventually is because Mawile is effectively your only Steel option and has managed to carry the bulk of the game, even in scenarios where type effectiveness overlaps thanks to its mega effect. That's not Niche. Compare with Aero, who you'd only bring in for the super disruptive ones, or Steelix, who you only bring in on SE with tons of Metal Blocks. The times where you will wind up using Mawile trump the times where you'll use Aerodactyl & Steelix.

Also this might be looking ahead a bit, but if Aggron is a Good Steel Mega I just want to say that Mawile should be pushed to D at worst and not E like Sableye. Mawile was around for like half the game and that needs to be recognized.

HylianGlaceon

Hyrulean Resident
For now, we're probably fine with the Ranks and I don't like the idea of+/- Ranks. If anything we should split C into two ranks and change D and E into E and F. I also think it'd be best to leave the list without Speedups/Lollis for now. Lollis especially since there is only one Mega they'd have a decent effect on and isn't enough to get it up a rank. Charizard Y isn't A Rank material even with 105 AP.

I'm kinda torn on Mega Rayquaza, it has been not performing well for me at all and yet it was far more effective than Gengar during Diancie's Escalation with the Boss Battles. B feels too low for it and A is kinda high so I dunno. I guess A for now.

Anyhow some other possible rank changes: Medicham and Absol for B Rank? I believe Medicham was discussed a bit in the other topic. But basically it is a Fighting Mega who can boost itself to evolve in a similar speed to Lucario and can combo sometimes (although not very often). If some combos do happen, it easily outdamages Lucario. Its clear is also more of a defensive pattern keeping the middle clear helps keep combos possible.

Absol for B Rank is more or less because Ghosts and Dark struggle heavily with disruptions on the board and Absol is one of the few that can clear them. The others being Sharpedo who can't really get the disruptions below it and Sableye whom is well.... Sableye. Apart from Absol, our best Ghost/Darks for fighting disruptions are Trevenant with Swap+ and Bisharp with Rock Break+. There are no Barrier Bash+ nor Block Smash+ Pokemon. There aren't even high powered Barrier Bash and Block Smash Pokemon to use.

Garchomp to A? If Mega Rayquaza stays in A, does Garchomp belong in there too? If not, Garchomp is just on the border. Great type coverage, Mega effect and power. It has some competition, but it often outperforms even Mega Rayquaza in my experience.

Blastoise to D? Disappointing Mega effect, disappointing power and disappointing coverage. It's just so disappointing even with the Raise Max Levels available for it. I mean coverage alone it has to fight with Glalie and Garchomp off the top of my head, whom are far superior Megas in just about every way. Has some little use in Timed and that's about it.

Charizard X to E Rank? How did this even end up in D? I see more use with the Normal Megas in Timed than with this Mega.

Diancie to D? Despite original impressions, it has some very limited use on Finneon and a few other stages with heavy amounts of Barriers (such as Mega Glalie.) You'll still likely need to Mega Start it however.

Blaziken & Swampert to D? I know not happening, but each thread can use this suggestion. Still despise these Megas on Turn Based. Some use in Timed but that's it.

komedy27u

Ok, no + or -, but splitting C Rank. In the process, borderline Megas in current B and D can be moved, so if there's any particular case (Like MMX) do mention it.

No niche Rank, each mega on it's own value, I may change the description of D (soon E) since not all niches may go to the same Rank.

About candies, I still feel we should consider them, but agree that it should be VERY limited, with 10 candies (or less) available for casual players, and no lollis yet. This means that MChomp can be considered for A but MRay can't, so I'll move it to B until another consensus is reached. I'll wait to see if more people appear ^^

Now, my opinions:

MMX: I agree D (soon E) might be too low. So D (New) feels better

MCharX: It was the result of the previous thread, to be fair it's almost completely useless and F sounds more fitting.

Absol: C, since it has way too much competition, though it is usefull.

Ampharos: E, I stopped using this after MRay appeared.

MBlast: D, I also stopped using it, but on disruptive timed stages is still a solid option.

MGarde: C, works well with PixiePower though MRay may move it to D if it eventually gets to A.

Lati@s: D. MRay eats them, but they're better options itemless and candyless.

Manetric: D, I used it once or twice on SE stages, more consistent (imo) than Amp.

Mawile: C, unfortunately we still have nothing better against fairy u.u

Medicham: C, personally I don't see many combos and the disruptions clearing is limited, some people have managed great things with it though so there's something there I'm not seeing (or else it'll be D).

Swampert: D. Very disappointing that the extra combos don't do much, MBlaze Needs pyre and Swamp has nothing u.u

MVenu: D. Have you seen MSceptile? The sole possibility of that mega kills MVenu, also the fact that there are better options for every SE stage including MRay.

MChomp: A. Only if candies are considered, but this fella has saved my hearts many times ^^

Aesnath

But Nothing Happened
For me, it seems like it is getting harder not to consider speed-ups in some capacity. The difference between 0 and 10 speed-up 'Chomp is huge; and I bet it is the same for M-Ray (I've not put any speed-ups into him). Maybe we could consider a subset of Megas that we list twice, where one is w/o candies and one is with them. Notably, candies don't make a huge difference for all of them. For example, M-Glalie is a solid Mega without candies and gets markedly better with them. HOWEVER, even saying that, he probably a B rank both ways. I suspect M-Luke is in a similar position. Probably most megas are in that position--i.e. speed-ups make them better, but not a tier better. Off the top of my head, 'Chomp and M-Ray are the two that defy that rule--possibly making it worth the notation.

I also support moving M-Blaze down to C or so. I get that he's good in some circumstances, but there are a lot where he isn't--doesn't sound like B to me.

Secundum

Lord Of Order
I think our current rankings are fine. Adding +/- tiers or an S Rank only really makes sense to break apart the C Rank tier. But C Rank's the average and I don't think it makes sense to split it up right now

I also don't agree with a Niche ranking. Right now it'd just be Aero & Steelix and that's covered fine with D Rank.

I still think Mega Ray should be B Rank. Like I've said before, when Mega Ray gets going it's super useful in most cases for reasons why Mega Gengar can still get good usage on NFE or NEutral stages.
But it's getting there that's the problem. Otherwise it requires Mega Start or some candies applied. Even the upcoming Mega Boost+ dragon (Zygarde 10%) won't be that useful due to low power (Mawile & Steelix at least get the strong Jirachi) and not disappearing due to the effect's no dragon caveat.

I also want to avoid a mega speed up list both because it's still difficult to get them and because there's some logic in spreading them around. But also, because, like, it would only really effect Mega Ray's ranking. He's the only one I've seen where it's basically a requirement and would drastically effect his placement. Meanwhile I don't think even the mega lollipops would cause Sableye to go jumping up a bunch of places and the C Rank plateau would still be pretty C Rank

e: Also MLUs have the issue of only being on a very small selection of megas. Both charizards, venusaur, blastoise, sableye & altaria off the top of my head. Not worth having a list at this point, honestly.

Kinda agree with all of this.
Also agree with the last posted that Blaziken shouldn't be B.

monkeyman192

simply bored
it might be good to add a link to this page which has all the details about how many candies each 'mon can take and the effect it has on their evolution speed: https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonShuffle/comments/429ocl/mega_speedup_table_updated/

I actually think that the ratings as they currently are are pretty good. I do agree with Aesnath that the effect of candies on some megas does mean that they would be in a different tier. Most wouldn't matter, a fully candied audino is still going to be completely useless, but a completely candied garchomp or rayquaza is a different matter.

HylianGlaceon

Hyrulean Resident
For me, it seems like it is getting harder not to consider speed-ups in some capacity. The difference between 0 and 10 speed-up 'Chomp is huge; and I bet it is the same for M-Ray (I've not put any speed-ups into him). Maybe we could consider a subset of Megas that we list twice, where one is w/o candies and one is with them. Notably, candies don't make a huge difference for all of them. For example, M-Glalie is a solid Mega without candies and gets markedly better with them. HOWEVER, even saying that, he probably a B rank both ways. I suspect M-Luke is in a similar position. Probably most megas are in that position--i.e. speed-ups make them better, but not a tier better. Off the top of my head, 'Chomp and M-Ray are the two that defy that rule--possibly making it worth the notation.

I also support moving M-Blaze down to C or so. I get that he's good in some circumstances, but there are a lot where he isn't--doesn't sound like B to me.
The problem is some Megas get massive upgrades but realistically you probably would never invest in them so that ends up a bit confusing. Megas such as Sharpedo and Latias as an example are much better with candies, but you have far more usable Megas without a massive investment needed such as Gengar and Glalie.

If we were to do a list, I strongly suggest we separate it and have an Uncandied + Mega Start list, which is what we have currently and a Candied list with every Mega, where we also ignore Mega Starts. (RIP Banette and Mewtwo in A Rank.)

Glalie is also an easy A Rank for me candied btw. 19 and 13 is a massive difference in mega evolving speed. Lucario's 14 and 10 is pretty accurate in unchanging though.

Just posting to say that Mega Sceptile is coming and it is confirmed to be a Mega Blaziken/Swampert clone (Grass-type, 12 icons, 3 speedups, turns three other grass-types into Mega Sceptile).

As for my idea on placement, same rank as Mega Swampert in C or the new proposed D rank. Does mostly the same as Mega Swampert (though Mega Sceptile teams have Sleep Charm support as the main distinction) though it gives us a pretty viable alternative for Water-type targets given our only other choices are Mega Ampharos/Mega Manectric (who can remove disruptions but have worse consistency issues than Mega Sceptile et al imo) and Mega Venusaur (removes disruptions, kills combos in turn-based, only really good for beating Gliscor itemless from my observations).

Secundum

Lord Of Order
Eh. Another lacklustre Blaziken clone that isn't as good due to lack of Pyre/equivalent.

HylianGlaceon

Hyrulean Resident
RIP Grass Megas. Sceptile for old/current D Ranking.

I guess Rayquaza, Gengar and Mega Started Ampharos/Manectric will always be the way to go with Waters. This really sucks since there are so many Water types in the games and we really don't have good Megas for them. The water Megas themselves are also lacking but we still have Gyarados coming who will hopefully not suck.

Secundum

Lord Of Order
Venasaur can be useful for certain stages, true.

R_N

Wait, it is? I can't think of an instance where I've used it outside of Greninja whom is a Timed stage and Ampharos who was just for leveling up.

I used it in a few competitions iirc, and sometimes on an event stage if i'm fed up with manectric

Secundum

Lord Of Order
Occasionally when you know the disruptions will be in a certain pattern, it's better to have the reliability over the randomness of Ampharos and Manetric.

DioBrandoTHEWORLD

Mad Scientist!
I agree with the ranking overall. But why Mega-Charizard X it's in the same rank as Mega-Aerodactyl and Mega Steelix? For me he is an solid Rank E. I only used him once and probably will never use again.

Last edited: