• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Shuffle Mega Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Secundum

Lord Of Order
Yeah, I think C as well now that I think about it, and B for Heracross-he's almost as good as megabro, but awkward to use and evolves slower.

komedy27u

I'm having second thoughts on MManetric, but still prefer him from MGlalie 'cause I like how it makes the combos. And in MCross defense, I've seen it adding icons at right, I believe it may make a full circle arround the board, needs some testing but if that's the case it'll be really a good maga ability.

komedy27u

Ok, I did s a comparison test, and understand how they work.

When MBro makes a match, it searches for another Bro, looking up first, if it finds one it places a new bro on top of that one, if it already had a second bro, it places the new bro over the second; it's not immediately above, if the first match is in the first column and the first bro on top is on the last, it will still add a bro on top of him; and if the bro on top of the match is in the top row or there are nor Bros up, it starts searching down until it completes a cicle, if no bro is found then, the new bro is placed on top of the original match. It becomes chaotic when first bro added makes another match and that new match also adds a Bro, making the crazy combos MBro does when there're many Bros.

MCross works the same, but instead of searching up, it searches left, if the original match is in the bottom row the added Cross can be on the first one if the closest Cross is there; and as well it can make chains of added Cross that make combo, afterwards, as MBro, it's disappear for a while leaving only uncomboed icons the other pokemon. Added icons can destroy disruptions.

MCross needs 21 icons to evolve, MBro needs 18. MCross can use 6 candies to get down to 15 icons, MBro can use 2 to get to 16. So it does evolve slower.

I still believe it's A-Rank material as Crowd Control activates a lot and gives good power attack.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Mega Heracross still seems to be mixed, more of the arguments seem to be in favor of B though I do agree that Crowd Control and having a Mega ability comparable to Slowbro is a huge point in its favor. I still don't have enough of an opinion myself to support it either way though. I'll put Heracross up in B for now but it'd be nice to hear more people's opinion on this bug since more of the discussion seems to be about Manectric at the moment.

Honestly I still don't see any real benefits to using Ampharos if you have Manectric though. If Venusaur or Glalie isn't the better option for Water or Flying types respectively I'll always choose Manectric since the power difference between it and Ampharos isn't really too much of an advantage I feel. The consistency is just too good for me to pass up and 10 more base power for a wild bolt pattern doesn't appeal to me. Of course that's not to say Ampharos is useless since we have two awkward caveats to even get Mega Manectric, but I doubt I'll be using Ampharos anymore if I can help it. If we were splitting ranks I'd say it and Mega Venusaur would be more suited to B- or C+ since I do believe Manectric is more useful than the other C rank Pokemon, and I still don't see it and Ampharos as quite that equal. Since more people seem to think it's a C rank Pokemon I'll go ahead and put Manectric there though.

As for Aerodactyl I think it's definitely worth coming back to in the next set of stages. I don't know if anyone else has noticed that it looks like we're still in Pedra Valley for the next set of stages since the background is still the same, so I still expect to see Rock disruptions for awhile. If anyone else has other thoughts on the current rankings now though feel free to disagree and suggest a change if you feel something should go up or down.

On another note the Pokemon are now listed in alphabetical order since I felt there needed to be some order within the ranks.

Secundum

Lord Of Order
Yeah, I noticed that we're still in Pedra Valley...shame, I wanted something new, but it DOES mean that we might get another Mega soonish.
I still think Mega Aero should remain in D, as the description is fo either bad mons, or 'niche' mons. Just because Mega Aeros niche has been coming up a lot lately, doesn't make it any less of a niche.

R_N

Yeah, I noticed that we're still in Pedra Valley...shame, I wanted something new, but it DOES mean that we might get another Mega soonish.
I still think Mega Aero should remain in D, as the description is fo either bad mons, or 'niche' mons. Just because Mega Aeros niche has been coming up a lot lately, doesn't make it any less of a niche.

Soonish is relative. It could still be another 30 stages in which case its...exactly the same amou nof time.

e: Also if the niche is constant, is it truly still niche
this and other philosophical questions here, in the mega shuffle tier rankings thread

komedy27u

I believe MAero is too good to D-Rank, or at least I use him too much for that, I use him more than any C-Rank and more than MBro.

Maybe we create a Niche-Rank? There are many Mega abilities like that in the code so we may get others like this that aren't bad but limited. If not, I still vote C-Rank for MAero

R_N

Having a Niche rank would basically be the Aerodactyl rank at this point

D-Rank happens to have niche pokemon, but Aerodactyl is one that very specifically only performs within a niche, just a niche that is becomming more common. Kangaskhan at least has early game on lock and Lopunny is there if you need Lucario's ability but lack Lucario, Sableye has no choice to stick around until Gengar and then becomes niche.

But, if by the next mega we still have a large amount of steel & wood block stages, maybe then? By then we'll probably have like 4 new megas that could be niche-y, too.

General_Ridley

Palace Maven Spenser
To what extent do we want to consider the Jirachi pairing with Mawile, for those who were able to catch Jirachi? In any stage where you have both pokemon and plan to use Mawile, Jirachi is practically a must because of its ability catapulting Mawile's mega evolution speed (It's not 100% activation, but I've yet to have Mawile unevolved before turn 5, often by turn 3, since trying it out with Jirachi). Yes, other Megas have a mega boost option, but there's nothing out there like Jirachi right now. Mawile's viability just went way up for those with Jirachi.

Not suggesting moving it up a tier, mind. Just whether it goes higher up in its tier if you have Jirachi.

Also supporting classing Manectric as solid B tier for its consistency and better pre-Mega ability.

And I do think we might be able to consider, after another mega or two get added, whether we should split Tiers into +/- levels. I see Aero as more of a C-. C- would be a solid Niche rank, while the D ranks would be able to account for pokemon that have been totally outclasses/replaced in all ways by later Megas (See Kangaskhan, for instance).

Last edited:

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Also supporting classing Manectric as solid B tier for its consistency and better pre-Mega ability.

I agree on M-Manectric, he's too good to be in C rank with M-Amp, M-Alt, etc... His mega ability has greater combo starting than the others in the rank, his pre-mega ability is also better than most of the other Pokemon in that rank, and he's got a decent base power.

He's at least much better than M-Ampharos in the fact that the only thing M-Amp has over M-Mane is that he has 10 more base power than him. Other than that M-Amp's pre-mega ability is useless, his mega ability is more unreliable than it is reliable due to it's complete randomness.

I say either bump M-Manectric up or move M-Ampharos down.

Secundum

Lord Of Order
Just because Mega Manetric is better than Mega Ampharos doesn't necessarily mean it's a whole RANK better.

komedy27u

Ok, did another test ('cause I'm leveling Heracross) and am more convinced that ever that MCross (and MBro) deserve A-Rank.

After a match, the mega doesn't look only for the next icon, it looks for every icon, and the adds and extra icon to EVERY found one that has space on the left/up, so if there was, at the beginning, two icons side-by-side/up-down, the extra icon creates a second match that adds a second icon to every other one in the level, making it so every icon that isn't blocked on the side/up gets activated, so only 6-7 icons in the screen can create a big chain that creates the crazy combos some have seen.

Sorry for not noticing ^^u

General_Ridley

Palace Maven Spenser
Just because Mega Manetric is better than Mega Ampharos doesn't necessarily mean it's a whole RANK better.

Well, no. But until we get to the point of introducing gradations (I'd say Manectric might be a C+/B- while Ampharos is more of a C/C-), it's about the only way we have of clearly indicating that one is superior to the other.

Erron Black

The Outlaw

Weelllllllll at this point with out having sub ranks there's no logical reason to keep the better mega in the same rank as the worse mega. Especially when they're the same type and have almost the same mega ability.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Alright, still not a lot of Heracross talk but I'm assuming that means people aren't too concerned about where it is. That said I've been using Heracross a bit myself too and after more use it doesn't really seem that different from Slowbro. Different typing, number of matches needed to Mega Evolve and different pre-Mega abilities are basically where the differences lie, but the Mega itself feels close enough to Slowbro that I'd say it's fair to put them both in the same rank. That and I mean, Crowd Control is pretty awesome before Mega, way better than what Slowbro's got. I'll go ahead and move Heracross up to A.

Fair point about Mawile though, the Steel type team is looking really nice now with Diagla and Jirachi so I think that helps Mawile a bit in terms of viability. I hadn't thought much about the full team affecting a Mega's rank, though both Mewtwo and Banette depend on the team and we've got them in A as a result so I think it's fair if Mawile gets some help from that, especially right now while it's the only Mega we have for Fairy types. Whether it's enough to consider it for moving it up, I'll leave that up to discussion. With that said, I think it is worth looking into splitting the ranks after getting a few more new Megas since it's starting to look like A/B/C/D alone isn't a perfect indicator (Manectric vs Ampharos). Depending on where the next few Megas end up we can come back to it. Nothing wrong with certain ranks getting bigger than others though when you have so many, others will still inevitably still be better and +/- ranks can help with that.

HylianGlaceon

Hyrulean Resident
So I just tried out Mega Heracross for the first time today. How do you even use it somewhat effectively? I used it on Ampharos' stage and it was worse than Mega Audino. It hit for 90 damage per 3 tile match and even with it causing more Mega Heracross to spawn and do damage, its damage output is simply terrible. It also won't create other Heracross over iced tiles (or barriers officially) for whatever reason.

I've used Mega Slowbro there and that worked fine, here with this one adding to the left instead of above makes it far harder to get combos. Did slightly over 50% damage to Ampharos and lost horribly with a ground type in the team. Never want to use it again honestly.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
So I just tried out Mega Heracross for the first time today. How do you even use it somewhat effectively? I used it on Ampharos' stage and it was worse than Mega Audino. It hit for 90 damage per 3 tile match and even with it causing more Mega Heracross to spawn and do damage, its damage output is simply terrible. It also won't create other Heracross over iced tiles (or barriers officially) for whatever reason.

I've used Mega Slowbro there and that worked fine, here with this one adding to the left instead of above makes it far harder to get combos. Did slightly over 50% damage to Ampharos and lost horribly with a ground type in the team. Never want to use it again honestly.

He's super useful in other stages. You just gave example for one stage. That's not a very effective point.

komedy27u

I S-Ranked Ampharos many times while testing MBro vs MCross and both do the same, slight differences aside both are incredible once used right, although I've cleaned the barriers before MEvol so I can't say if they don't erase them, but in theory either both should or both can't (I believe they should, but need to see it first).

EDIT: But I do agree that having them appear on the top is better, when they fall they help future combos, on the left they get stuck there, so it needs a more planificated strategy

Last edited:

HylianGlaceon

Hyrulean Resident
He's super useful in other stages. You just gave example for one stage. That's not a very effective point.

Examples of where then? More experimenting lead to more disappointing results still. It just doesn't seem to ever combo even when doing vertical matches.

Crowd Control Heracross is just so much better when paired with another Mega that covers Dark/Grass/Psychic pokemon that I'd have to go with a D Rank for it honestly.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Examples of where then? More experimenting lead to more disappointing results still. It just doesn't seem to ever combo even when doing vertical matches.

Crowd Control Heracross is just so much better when paired with another Mega that covers Dark/Grass/Psychic pokemon that I'd have to go with a D Rank for it honestly.
Take him to Grass/Psychic/Dark type stages. I managed to S rank most of the ones I hadn't S ranked prior to the update or after the update (Weavile and Mightyena for example) very easily.

Besides that the only Mega we had for Dark types before M-Cross was M-Lucario who's mega ability is not very combo-friendly, but it still deals a nice amount of damage. M-Heracross's ability is much more combo friendly and works wonders on the dark type stages.

D rank for M-Cross is absurd. His ability is a downgraded M-Slowbro ability, yes. However, it's still extremely combo-friendly and M-Cross also has a nice pre-mega ability + has a base power of 70.

However A rank is too high for him imo. I say he's more of a B rank mega. He isn't as great as the megas in the A rank.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.