• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
The fainting things could be in the games, but it doesn't have to. Either way, the only reason Ash fainted was because he hadn't mastered the form yet.

Why would they have the fainting thing in the games though? Wouldn't that make the form a liability? We already have the chance of getting knocked out by trainers/gym leaders/elite four/champion by defeating all of our pokemon. Making the trainer faint without losing all of his/her pokemon would be too much in my opinion.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Why would they have the fainting thing in the games though? Wouldn't that make the form a liability? We already have the chance of getting knocked out by trainers/gym leaders/elite four/champion by defeating all of our pokemon. Making the trainer faint without losing all of his/her pokemon would be too much in my opinion.
Probably to add more risk to this form. Maybe they'd get a bigger boost in power but risk losing the battle.

Class Zero

We have arrived.

I do think it'd depend on the effects of "Synchro Evolution", if we're talking a massive power boost then I guess that Pokemon fainting being an instant loss would be fair.. A high-risk high-reward technique, as opposed to the low-risk average-reward structure of Mega Evolution.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Probably to add more risk to this form. Maybe they'd get a bigger boost in power but risk losing the battle.

How would this work given the current state of mega-evolutions, which are already quite powerful? Would this form change mean even more massive stat changes than, say, Mega Rayquaza? Also, would these form changes be allowed to hold items?

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I think sticking with Mega evolutions would be better. Synchro-evolutions wouldn't be great for newer players (especially the young ones) as they have no idea of the consequences of Synchro-evolution until it is too late.

clbgolden12

How would this work given the current state of mega-evolutions, which are already quite powerful? Would this form change mean even more massive stat changes than, say, Mega Rayquaza? Also, would these form changes be allowed to hold items?
It'd probably have a bigger power boost, maybe like 120-150 or something. And Ash's Greninja doesn't really need any item to use the form, so yes?

I think sticking with Mega evolutions would be better. Synchro-evolutions wouldn't be great for newer players (especially the young ones) as they have no idea of the consequences of Synchro-evolution until it is too late.
I'm sure there would be some explanation on how they would work in-game, like with ME's in XY.

Last edited:

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
It'd probably have a bigger power boost, maybe like 120-150 or something. And Ash's Greninja doesn't really need any item to use the form, so yes?

Hmm. With that big of a power boost and able to hold items, fainting sounds like a good consequence. Even so, I worry it would potentially be overpowering. Granted, I thought that about M-Rayquaza too and it was irrelevant.

clbgolden12

Hmm. With that big of a power boost and able to hold items, fainting sounds like a good consequence. Even so, I worry it would potentially be overpowering. Granted, I thought that about M-Rayquaza too and it was irrelevant.
Yeah, it being too strong is somewhat worrying. If the power-boost is, say, 120, a Synchro Greninja would have a 650 base stat. And if it held a Life Orb...

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
oh yeah, solgaleo and lunaala don't have english names or thier typing yet. i'll add that to the list. so it's:
-legendaries names, type(s) and maybe their signature attack names;
-trailer bird, dog or regional bug;
-a little of how the game starts.

i'm still lowering my expectations. it's way to early for the starter middle stage evolutions, right after announcing the basic forms. synchro evolution/new megas/new major mechanic could still be revealed if masuda is hyping it that hard. but i still think it's also too early for that. maybe next month we'll get that plus the evil team(s) and that character that looks important and you know automatically it's gonna be the champion (remember diantha?) and maybe even the 1st and 2nd gym leaders.

Last edited:
Said it before, and I'll say it again: we might get Synchro Evolution in this game, or some variant of it, and at the very least Ash Greninja, if not just for the fact that the anime is based on the games and not vice versa for major mechanics and forms (meaning I'm pretty much convinced we'll get the Zygarde forms this game too).

However, they really could have a problem on their hands if they do introduce SE now as opposed to two or three generations down the line. Firstly, look at major battle mechanics:

Gen I - single battles
Gen III - double battles and in-battle form changes
Gen V- triple, rotation and inverse battles
Gen VI - Mega Evolution

For Gen VII to be so close to what Gen VI offered, without there yet being any major line of differentiation, I think it'd actually be somewhat of a risk. Don't get me wrong, they can explain it in the plot all they like, but good luck explaining the difference between a special temporary form activated due to the bond between a Pokémon and it's trainer and...well, to be frank, at this point, a special temporary form activated due to the bond between a Pokémon and it's trainer through the use of a stone and a bracelet. Yeah, nothing truly major to differentiate them.

Even more so, I think, would be explaining why certain Pokémon got an SE as opposed to an ME. I'm sure they can pull it off in terms of marketing and plot devices, but I think we're really underestimating how much of a task it could be to convince fans so soon after a major new mechanic of another, very similar new mechanic being implemented.

Those are my two pennies on it, anyway.

knightwolf09

Said it before, and I'll say it again: we might get Synchro Evolution in this game, or some variant of it, and at the very least Ash Greninja, if not just for the fact that the anime is based on the games and not vice versa for major mechanics and forms (meaning I'm pretty much convinced we'll get the Zygarde forms this game too).

However, they really could have a problem on their hands if they do introduce SE now as opposed to two or three generations down the line. Firstly, look at major battle mechanics:

Gen I - single battles
Gen VI - Mega Evolution

For Gen VII to be so close to what Gen VI offered, without there yet being any major line of differentiation, I think it'd actually be somewhat of a risk. Don't get me wrong, they can explain it in the plot all they like, but good luck explaining the difference between a special temporary form activated due to the bond between a Pokémon and it's trainer and...well, to be frank, at this point, a special temporary form activated due to the bond between a Pokémon and it's trainer through the use of a stone and a bracelet. Yeah, nothing truly major to differentiate them.

Even more so, I think, would be explaining why certain Pokémon got an SE as opposed to an ME. I'm sure they can pull it off in terms of marketing and plot devices, but I think we're really underestimating how much of a task it could be to convince fans so soon after a major new mechanic of another, very similar new mechanic being implemented.

What if synchro evolution is a variant of mega evolution? There's really not much else they can add on to the list of battle mechanics.

clbgolden12

Gen I - single battles
Gen VI - Mega Evolution

Inverse battles were added in gen 6, not 5.

What if synchro evolution is a variant of mega evolution? There's really not much else they can add on to the list of battle mechanics.
There's plenty they can add for new battle mechanics. Quadrupole battles, anyone? :p

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
What about more move combinations? I loved the effect of the Pledge moves they introduced in gen 5, I think it was, and in gen 1 and 2 we had some emphasis on things like defense curl + rollout, stomp being more effective on pokemon that had used minimize, and thunder hitting flying types. I'd love more interactions like these that can be used either in a double-battle with a partner or used consecutively in a one-v-one battle.

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
To be honest, I think customization makes Synchro more likely. After all, the anime pushes such a big emphasis on Ash and Greninja's personal bond: what could make a Synchro more personal than it reflecting you?

Honestly if we were getting that synchro gimmick in Sun and Moon, I would've expected that to be among the details of the games in last month's Corocoro or in the trailer that we got cuz it was such a huge deal in the anime in May.

LePetitMeow

Honestly if we were getting that synchro gimmick in Sun and Moon, I would've expected that to be among the details of the games in last month's Corocoro or in the trailer that we got cuz it was such a huge deal in the anime in May.

I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be revealed super early (my honest opinion says it won't even be a gimmick in these games, but who knows at this point). Honestly, IF they do reveal it, it will be something explored later (most likely in July/August), that way they get the basics of the starters, legendary mascots, and region itself out in the open before working backwards to promote older Pokemon for this new mechanic.

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
What about more move combinations? I loved the effect of the Pledge moves they introduced in gen 5, I think it was, and in gen 1 and 2 we had some emphasis on things like defense curl + rollout, stomp being more effective on pokemon that had used minimize, and thunder hitting flying types. I'd love more interactions like these that can be used either in a double-battle with a partner or used consecutively in a one-v-one battle.

I really like hidden interactions like these (though the pledges aren't really hidden). The aren't necessary to use those moves well, but if you take advantage of them, can give you a bit of a boost.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be revealed super early (my honest opinion says it won't even be a gimmick in these games, but who knows at this point). Honestly, IF they do reveal it, it will be something explored later (most likely in July/August), that way they get the basics of the starters, legendary mascots, and region itself out in the open before working backwards to promote older Pokemon for this new mechanic.

I just figured that they'd strike while the iron is hot given that the Ash-Greninja hype has reached its fever pitch recently and it could've been tied into the hype of the Sun and Moon games if customized pokemon will exist in the games at all, but I guess I'll wait and see. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.