• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
A lot of people complained about the games getting way too easy.
Now it looks like that things will become a bit more challenging due to EXP scaling and we still have people complaining...

Make up your minds people.

I agree with Yusuf, the EXP Scaling was one of the things that made B/W my least favourite games.. definitely made the game more tedious as opposed to challenging.

sheld999

what if they skip the trio and make a quad if you bring all 4 together you unlock the 5th one which is a legendary

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Now it looks like that things will become a bit more challenging due to EXP scaling and we still have people complaining...

completely agree,

I am super excited about it all and since it's their product and I love Pokemon, I automatically love the games for every feature and what makes them unique.
I love how all the games grab different features from each other and they're all little combo packs of features where you pick and choose what ones you want by picking what gen/game to play :p

anyways, I could care less how my pokemon all level up because it's the new Pokemon game, they'll have a whole new region with new pokemon that will distract me from the experience they gain, and that's lame to be nitpicky about.

mozao

this wasn't in my horoscope
You guys must not have played Gen V the right way, because I never needed to grind and I loved the exp system because it actually stopped people from doing it and made they play the game normally. So I love to see that system back. What I don't like, thought, is how the trainers in the first route have level 3 and 4 instead of 5. But that can change.

Last edited:

LePetitMeow

Agreed. People complaining for harder games should go find some to play. Pokemon has always been a matter of targeting children into video games up to teenagers. The idea that Pokemon, a series about friendships and bonds with others, will ever be designed specifically for people whom are into hardcore difficult-level MMORPG games and having them cater specific stats and skills and modes of challenge into them is beyond me.

Pokemon at its core is about the friendships you make with your Pokemon, and the path to building communication channels through the games to connect with players all over the world emphasizes friendly competition and building relationships. Games like COD and the like are about violence, beating other people to win top spot, and to show brute strength. That's not Pokemon. These games will never likely be filled with difficulty settings, dark storylines, incredibly hard challenges and super technical stats that the player has to calculate for the sake of professional competition purposes.

While the main series games INCLUDE things like the stats and ability to challenge yourself in professional tournaments, the games themselves are meant to be light-hearted, fun, and a enjoyable way to spend some free time. Anyone who gets Smogon-level technical about BST and stats and natures and abilities will always be let down with main-series games because they aren't going to be like this. Pokemon will ALWAYS be a fun adventure with light, easy-to-access activities, stories, and adventures.

I personally just enjoy playing through, catching new Pokemon, getting the badges, and defeating the evil team. That's pretty much what the game is meant for. It should be easy enough that elementary-aged children can do it without much struggle.

Class Zero

We have arrived.
People complaining for harder games should go find some to play.

I'm sorry, but that's a terrible argument.
When someone offers criticism, or expresses a feature they want in the games, that shouldn't be met with "oh go and play a game that has that then". If there's a big enough demand for it from the playerbase then GF should absolutely consider putting it into the game.

Everyone saying they want the games to be harder love playing the games regardless of their difficulty, it's just that in our opinion we would enjoy it more if there was an option to put the difficulty up. We feel that there's no sense of accomplishment in beating an AI that could have beaten you easily and yet doesn't do so because it's using "Growl" continuously. At least, these are my thoughts.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
Let's see, gorgeous graphic, awesome new features, trainers getting their own 3D character model, fantastic new Pokèmon and nice add-ons....
Yep, best gen ever! :D

That´s basically every new generation prior to release. It´s after playing a game, when the flaws are discovered... So be patient man ;)

Supersonicbro

Seriously, this can fit really well when combined with the exp share how it is now. I think that this is a great balance.

Alatar VGC

House Greyjoy
That´s basically every new generation prior to release. It´s after playing a game, when the flaws are discovered... So be patient man ;)

Agreed! While I am hyped for the look of the game. I hope it has a story to match the fancier graphics!

Tho WiFi free for alls is a nice addition! :p

Aidan25

I just hope that it lives up to our expectations. Pokemon games have been pretty good each generation in their own respects so lets hope that they continue in this way! I'm excited to see the starters, legendaries and new pokemon (hopefully no silly ones)

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
I found it super easy to train in 5th gen. Just battle audino >.>

I found it super easy to train in 5th gen. Just battle audino >.>
True, but there might not be a Pokémon like that available in every Route in Alola. There wasn't in Kalos.

I'm not a fan of bringing back the Gen V EXP system. Like others have said, you can always just turn the new EXP Share off (or train a wider team of Pokémon instead of over-levelling six)...but you can't turn off an EXP scaling system. Also, tedious/monotonous ≠ challenging.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
True, but there might not be a Pokémon like that available in every Route in Alola. There wasn't in Kalos.

I'm not a fan of bringing back the Gen V EXP system. Like others have said, you can always just turn the new EXP Share off...but you can't turn off an EXP scaling system. Also, tedious/monotonous ≠ challenging.

If they're bringing it back, I highly doubt that we wouldn't get an Audino equivalent. They went out of their way to put Audinos in each route for Gen 5, so more then likely it'd happen with 7. Gen 6 didn't need an equivalent because it went back to the old system, so it wasn't as necessary.

As for the EXP share, I think it's supposed to balance it out so that you aren't overleveling certain Pokémon, but you can still get newer Pokémon in the group up to par with the rest since the new system favors them. It basically allows for experimentation without breaking the game, and that may be a good way to curb the difficulty issue that the EXP share brought.

Last edited:
As for the EXP share, I think it's supposed to balance it out so that you aren't overleveling certain Pokémon, but you can still get newer Pokémon in the group up to par with the rest since the new system favors them. It basically allows for experimentation without breaking the game, and that may be a good way to curb the difficulty issue that the EXP share brought.
I think the EXP Share can accomplish that just fine with the Gen VI EXP system, though.

Players can choose to train six stupidly-over-levelled Pokémon if they want, or they can rotate and experiment with a much larger team of Pokémon without getting too over-levelled. For those familiar with JWittz's YouTube channel, he illustrated this beautifully with his Y playthrough, where he kept the EXP Share on the whole time and just rotated his team as certain Pokémon started to get over-levelled - he never entered a Gym with a Mon higher than the Leader's ace. If they don't want to over-level OR rotate their team, there's the "off" button.

I'll live with the Gen V system back, I just don't think it's necessary (or even preferable.)

Dragon Pulse

There are two new Limited Edition New Nintendo 3DS XLs coming to Japan. One of them is yellow with Pikachu depicted on it while the other is black with Solgaleo and Lunala on it. Do you think we'll get these outside Japan soon (US, UK, Europe, rest of Asia, etc)?

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I think the EXP Share can accomplish that just fine with the Gen VI EXP system, though.

Players can choose to train six stupidly-over-levelled Pokémon if they want, or they can rotate and experiment with a much larger team of Pokémon without getting too over-levelled. For those familiar with JWittz's YouTube channel, he illustrated this beautifully with his Y playthrough, where he kept the EXP Share on the whole time and just rotated his team as certain Pokémon started to get over-levelled - he never entered a Gym with a Mon higher than the Leader's ace. If they don't want to over-level OR rotate their team, there's the "off" button.

I'll live with the Gen V system back, I just don't think it's necessary (or even preferable.)

The problem is not everyone plays that way though and a lot of people stick with the Pokémon they like. You can't expect everyone to rotate out their Pokémon as a lot of fans stick with what they like and don't play with every option available, if a kid likes Heliolisk for instance, they very well may not switch it out for another Pokémon, they'll keep it on the team because that's a Pokémon that they prefer. So for them they're usually stuck with a overly leveled team because they didn't want to play around with other options and they shouldn't be forced to do that, that scenario is too specific a way to play to be the ultimate solution.

On top of that, using the Gen V system actually keeps that playstyle relevant since you can rotate to your hearts content, get Pokémon up to par even faster then the old method, but keep any team members you still have on your team at a balanced level. So instead of being restricted to that one style to prevent overleveling, instead you can implement multiple styles without taking away too much of the difficulty. I feel in that sense, the Gen 5 EXP system will be more of a boon then a detriment since it allows experimentation and keeping a team balanced out without favoring one particular style of play.

.Aerodactyl.

The problem is not everyone plays that way though and a lot of people stick with the Pokémon they like. You can't expect everyone to rotate out their Pokémon as a lot of fans stick with what they like and don't play with every option available, if a kid likes Heliolisk for instance, they very well may not switch it out for another Pokémon, they'll keep it on the team because that's a Pokémon that they prefer. So for them they're usually stuck with a overly leveled team because they didn't want to play around with other options and they shouldn't be forced to do that, that scenario is too specific a way to play to be the ultimate solution.

On top of that, using the Gen V system actually keeps that playstyle relevant since you can rotate to your hearts content, get Pokémon up to par even faster then the old method, but keep any team members you still have on your team at a balanced level. So instead of being restricted to that one style to prevent overleveling, instead you can implement multiple styles without taking away too much of the difficulty. I feel in that sense, the Gen 5 EXP system will be more of a boon then a detriment since it allows experimentation and keeping a team balanced out without favoring one particular style of play.

I don't understand why you don't just turn the exp share "off" then. I don't understand the frustration.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I don't understand why you don't just turn the exp share "off" then. I don't understand the frustration.

Because that still leads to certain balance issues, and also forces grinding one Pokémon at a time since they completely removed the option to only have Exp Share on one Pokémon each. Honestly, I feel they should've kept the older model and renamed the newer one EXP All (which is pretty much what it is), but they took an all-or-nothing approach to it, and we're stuck with the result unless they overhaul the feature again.

Last edited:
I don't see the point in complaining about a feature you can easily turn off, IMO. It's your fault for not turning it off if it damages your gameplay experience.

Because that still leads to certain balance issues, and also forces grinding one Pokémon at a time since they completely removed the option to only have Exp Share on one Pokémon each. Honestly, I feel they should've kept the older model and renamed the newer one EXP All (which is pretty much what it is), but they took an all-or-nothing approach to it, and we're stuck with the result unless they overall the feature again.

Kalos' levels are pretty much designed for not having the EXP Share on.

Right, which is why rotating isn't the only option. In Gen VI, players can:

- Keep the EXP Share on and have an over-levelled team of six
- Keep the EXP Share on and rotate a team much larger than six
- Keep the EXP Share off and have a maybe-slightly-over-levelled team of six (though unless you've spent a ton of time in Amie or re-battling Trainers, your team shouldn't be THAT over-levelled)

Looking back at my own Gen VI playthroughs, I almost always kept the EXP Share off and stuck with a team of six, and the only time I became ridiculously over-levelled is when I spent forever in the Battle Chateau grinding for cash + ranking up. :p

You make a lot of great points, and I might be underestimating the Gen V system...but I remember it being a huge pain when it came to prepping for the first Gym (pre-Audino.) I think a lot of what you're saying hinges on the idea that there will be an Audino equivalent in Alola. Without one, getting new teammates up to par with your current roster is fast at first, but becomes exceptionally tedious as they start to get closer. If there is one, maybe I'll start to enjoy this EXP system more than I expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.