• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I don't see the point in complaining about a feature you can easily turn off, IMO. It's your fault for not turning it off if it damages your gameplay experience.

OK, where did I or anyone else here complain about the feature? Please don't put words in people's mouths, you really need to actually read what's being said rather then making your own snap judgements.

Kalos' levels are pretty much designed for not having the EXP Share on.

Not really, Kalos' levels were the highest overall of any Pokémon game, so I wouldn't say that it was balanced without the EXP Share in mind. I think the issue comes down to that they didn't consider that people wouldn't experiment with multiple options, so you had high leveled teams that got ahead of the leveling curve if they catch it in time and turn it off.

You make a lot of great points, and I might be underestimating the Gen V system...but I remember it being a huge pain when it came to prepping for the first Gym (pre-Audino.) I think a lot of what you're saying hinges on the idea that there will be an Audino equivalent in Alola. Without one, getting new teammates up to par with your current roster is fast at first, but becomes exceptionally tedious as they start to get closer. If there is one, maybe I'll start to enjoy this EXP system more than I expect.

Like I said, I doubt GF wouldn't consider that issue. They aren't completely oblivious to how the system works considering how Audino was implemented with Gen 5's system in the first place, so why would they completely ignore it with Alola's? I won't deny there's a chance it will be ignored, but I think more likely then not, GF will allow grinding spots just in case you really need the help.

Last edited:

.Aerodactyl.

Because that still leads to certain balance issues, and also forces grinding one Pokémon at a time since they completely removed the option to only have Exp Share on one Pokémon each. Honestly, I feel they should've kept the older model and renamed the newer one EXP All (which is pretty much what it is), but they took an all-or-nothing approach to it, and we're stuck with the result unless they overhaul the feature again.

There are plenty of other ways to bring up the exp a Pokémon received. O-Powers, lucky egg... I honestly love the exp share as it is in Gen 6. It is so much easier to train competitive teams post game, and I didn't find it troublesome playing with it off during the main campaign for training... nothing was overly leveled so grinding wasn't really necessary. I'd rather switch train a Pokémon for two- five battles when it's new till it can fight on its own in the campaign and mass level up bred Pokémon later than put the exp share on one. Cause then later when training a whole bred team post game, I have to get like five more exp share somehow to level a whole team at once. plus, with this exp share, I can not only share the exp with everyone on team when training new teams, but it also frees up a slot to hold a lucky egg so they can share and boost the amount of experience they get :D Totally worth it. But that's just me, we are all entitled to our opinion and play style.

Last edited:
OK, where did I or anyone else here complain about the feature? Please don't put words in people's mouths, you really need to actually read what's being said rather then making your own snap judgements.

Uh, what? Where did I say you, specifically, were complaining? I just saw the topic was being discussed again and decided to say that before anyone did start complaining. You need to think before posting your own 'snap judgements'

Not really, Kalos' levels were the highest overall of any Pokémon game, so I wouldn't say that it was balanced without the EXP Share in mind. I think the issue comes down to that they didn't consider that people wouldn't experiment with multiple options, so you had high leveled teams that got ahead of the leveling curve if they catch it in time and turn it off.

Seeing as with most people (minus the Battle Chateau) Pokémon end up about 5ish levels over Diantha with it on, and in about a 1-3 range either way with it off, I think you can see which one it was designed with in mind.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
The Gen V Exp makes a lot of sense really. A high leveled Pokemon fighting against a Pokemon who's five-ten levels lower technically shouldn't be gaining the same Exp as when they were fighting the Pokemon when both level's matched since one is at a higher gap than the other.

Plus if you think Gen V was a bit tedious in leveling up, just go to the Black Tower/White Treehollow (especially the latter since they have trainers with the Happiny line). Or just grind infinite Rare Candys from the Nimbasa Sports Domes.

I honestly had a easier time leveling up newly hatched Pokemon in BW/2 than I did in any other Pokemon game.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Uh, what? Where did I say you, specifically, were complaining? I just saw the topic was being discussed again and decided to say that before anyone did start complaining. You need to think before posting your own 'snap judgements'

You implied that there was complaining in general, and since the topic includes me and others, of course I'm going to assume that you're referring to us. If you wanted to say you were talking about future complainers, then you should be more clear because that was easily misinterpreted.

Seeing as with most people (minus the Battle Chateau) Pokémon end up about 5ish levels over Diantha with it on, and in about a 1-3 range either way with it off, I think you can see which one it was designed with in mind.

I'd like to know where you're getting this "most people" from because I can just as easily say that most people I've talked to had a much different experience from that.

.Aerodactyl.

Where are we getting our numbers for this? I didn't know there was survey of what level everyone was at when facing trainer and a gym. (I'm not trying to be snarky or rude, so apologize if I come across as condescending, not my intent!)

I don't think we can objectively say, on EITHER side, what level people were at when they faced people and if the game was designed to be played with the exp share on or off. I think the game was just designed to be played and you could choose to use the boost or not: don't think it was specifically designed so concretely to use the exp share with so all-or-nothing a mentality. Just turn on/off as desired. The variety allowed in how you train and what Pokémon you use doesn't really allow for a clear cut one-size-fits-all answer to that. Some like the exp share, some don't, and neither will ever be better because opinon and play style is subjective. For me, I prefer the exp-all as it is so much better for training teams post game :) but others won't like it and for them it's a bad/worse system.

Last edited:
You implied that there was complaining in general, and since the topic includes me and others, of course I'm going to assume that you're referring to us. If you wanted to say you were talking about future complainers, then you should be more clear because that was easily misinterpreted.

It's almost like its the Internet and written language lacks the expression of vocal communication. Sorry I made a mistake though, guess I won't make any of those ever again -_-

I'd like to know where you're getting this "most people" from because I can just as easily say that most people I've talked to had a much different experience from that.

Most lets plays/etc people's who skip out EXP. Share I've seen end up about those numbers. Of course I was being hyperbolic, because that's kind of what automatically happens when you don't know the exact numbers of something you can't know about.

EDIT: I'm just going to leave this discussion, I have better things to do with my time and it's literally turned rom on topic to me not being able to express stuff right on the Internet.

Last edited:

Wadeledge

Till all are One
I kept the experience share on the whole time and didn't have an overleveling problem. It was a really useful tool for bringing newly caught Pokemon up to speed quickly, rather than grinding.

Kalosian

So long
I really wanted to write down some short thoughts on the new info we have gotten during the past days, but I'm not really sure where to start. The new Pokemon are both weird and awesome as always and I love it. Seeing as there are old Pokemon to be found during the main game, that means they are not doing the same thing as B/W but that's still okay as long as they give the main focus to the new Pokemon. Battle Royal seems interesting. I haven't looked into everything yet since I feel that at this point, it would be at risk of spoiling too much, I want to experience the early parts of the game on my own, without being extremely spoiled. Going to continue checking the pre-release material but I don't think I'll watch the gameplay videos.

Aetius

That´s basically every new generation prior to release. It´s after playing a game, when the flaws are discovered... So be patient man ;)

That's true. LOL
I remember being hyped for generation 6, only to find myself utterly disappointed with what they had done. XD
Still, I'm positive that Sun & Moon won't leave a bad impression on me!
Heck, just looking at the demo I was left speechless!
They thought this through this time! ;)

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I really hope they don't return to gen 5 Exp Share. Gen 6 was far better due to the ability to train all my pokemon instead of just one. I am pretty sure that I heard that the games are suppose to be easier from some interview. Gen 5 Exp Share does the opposite so I rather stick with gen 6.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I really hope they don't return to gen 5 Exp Share. Gen 6 was far better due to the ability to train all my pokemon instead of just one. I am pretty sure that I heard that the games are suppose to be easier from some interview. Gen 5 Exp Share does the opposite so I rather stick with gen 6.
Gen 6's makes things a little TOO easy though, and then when you turn it off you have to grind a lot. With that said, I wouldn't throw a ft if gen 6 Share returned.

But, as I've said many times before, I think the gen 1 EXP Share was the best, and would love to see it return here.

.Aerodactyl.

Gen 6's makes things a little TOO easy though, and then when you turn it off you have to grind a lot. With that said, I wouldn't throw a ft if gen 6 Share returned.

But, as I've said many times before, I think the gen 1 EXP Share was the best, and would love to see it return here.

How come no one ever recommends turning it off and on as needed? If you find you're grinding to much, turn it on for a bit then turn it off.

Not saying people have to like the experience share more than any other Gen though. Wr all have personal taste and opinions which is what makes Pokémonso great, there are so many ways to play and no way is wrong!

But, if they keep the gen 6 experience share, just consider that it doesn't have to stay on all the time. So if you don't want to get over leveled but also don't want to grind to much this is an option for that. It may not be ideal for your play style but hopefully it helps a little!

godiego

why not both though? EXP Share from Gen VI with Gen V's EXP changes. granted you'll probably still get ahead, but the reduced EXP would prevent you from just snowballing out of control as in Gen VI.

Blesstoise

Squirtle Squad
You know i was wondering, was it revealed what Pokémon Lillie keeps in her bag? I remember them being pretty vague about this question during E3. What if Lillie keeps a Zygarde core in her bag just like they do in the anime? Maybe this way the Zygarde storyline can tie in with Sun& Moon.

TheEliteEmpoleon

You know i was wondering, was it revealed what Pokémon Lillie keeps in her bag? I remember them being pretty vague about this question during E3. What if Lillie keeps a Zygarde core in her bag just like they do in the anime? Maybe this way the Zygarde storyline can tie in with Sun& Moon.

Yeah that's pretty much been the biggest theory around here as to what's in her bag. A few also think it could be Tapu Koko and there's one nut who thinks it's an Iwanko or something. But yeah, it hasn't been revealed yet. I don't think it will be revealed; I think we have to play to find out.

Hauke_von_Arding

Yeah that's pretty much been the biggest theory around here as to what's in her bag. A few also think it could be Tapu Koko and there's one nut who thinks it's an Iwanko or something. But yeah, it hasn't been revealed yet. I don't think it will be revealed; I think we have to play to find out.

We already have seen Iwanko on the map... isn't he a little bit... large for her bag?

TheEliteEmpoleon

We already have seen Iwanko on the map... isn't he a little bit... large for her bag?

Yeah try telling that to him... I personally filter in to the Zygarde Core group of people, though the Tapu Koko idea certainly isn't bad either, as it is apparently small.

Blesstoise

Squirtle Squad

Okay my bad, haven't been on the site for a while :|

Do people think Tapu Koko is the real name? Doesn't sound like a Pokémon to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.