• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightwolf09

Okay, now I'm confused. I looked at the japanese site and went down to the "Found so far" section and looked at Snorlax. The weird thing is, all the other pokemon in that section have the title card "Check out their descriptions in the pokedex" which I thought all returning pokemon will get on that site, but Snorlax and Munchlax however have their own title cards like the other pokemon. So why is it they are being treated differently if they are also returning pokemon? It's weird.

On the topic of Z-moves. I get you don't have to like them, but I'm pretty Gamefreak wouldn't add stuff in to be pointless, especially when it comes to battle mechanincs. I'm sure they know we can find your use for them. So don't complain about them just yet.

gliscor&yanmega

Wonder if the old Pokemon on the Japan Site will all get unique Z-Moves. Not sure if Munchlax and Snorlax(Interestingly, they have separate pages, and Munchlax is now the first non-Gen 1 Pokemon there) were added before or after Direct but who knows, maybe it's signifying that. Of course it wont be limited to them since Alolan Raichu has got one. Or it could mean nothing for it.

Why hasn't the official site updated with the info already?

Well, the Japan site did. But for the English site, they do have it up on the Pokemon.com site, just not the SunMoon page. They might just wait for the 6th for whatever other info. We have all the info we'll get on what was shown regardless.

Last edited:

GDK

Okay, now I'm confused. I looked at the japanese site and went down to the "Found so far" section and looked at Snorlax. The weird thing is, all the other pokemon in that section have the title card "Check out their descriptions in the pokedex" which I thought all returning pokemon will get on that site, but Snorlax and Munchlax however have their own title cards like the other pokemon. So why is it they are being treated differently if they are also returning pokemon? It's weird.

On the topic of Z-moves. I get you don't have to like them, but I'm pretty Gamefreak wouldn't add stuff in to be pointless, especially when it comes to battle mechanincs. I'm sure they know we can find your use for them. So don't complain about them just yet.

Maybe because snorlax is only available through the download event ?

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer

Well, they do have their Z-Moves and are being distributed through event, so I can see why they're being treated differently.

During the Nintendo Direct they showed off some of the Z Crystals in the bag(around 42:50 EU stream), like Grassium Z, Waterium Z and so on, but a small detail I found interesting was the label on top which read "Z-Crystals".
Indicating that Z-Crystals will get their own pocket, something I think is seriously needed if you look at how messy the gen VI bags were.

Also, the Ghost Z-dance is hilarious.

knightwolf09

Just read the japanese site again. It seems like needs to have the move Giga Impact in order to use it's z-move.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Just read the japanese site again. It seems like needs to have the move Giga Impact in order to use it's z-move.
Hm, interesting (I honestly would've expected Body Slam). I wonder what move Alolan Raichu needs to learn to use its Z-Move...

.Aerodactyl.

Wow, just saw the news, looked briefly at the comments and gonna try and sum up my thoughts. Apologize for the long post:

Looks like the Bewear leak ("real leaks" leak) got another Alolan form correct (rattata) but messed up slightly on the typing (normal/dark instead of pure dark). It seems they either have partial information or early information, etc. All the more reason to be mindful of it, but skeptical.

As far as Megas.. hasn't it already been confirmed in an interview that they ARE returning, just that they aren't confirming any new forms? Not saying people can't be disappointed if there aren't any new forms, only that we don't have to worry that the ones we do have will disappear all together.

As for z-moves, I'm seeing a lot of mixed comments on the matter (not exclusive to this forum) of people saying that they are either useless or OP. Now, we can certainly have our own opinions on the features and that's fine, not saying we have to like them or dislike them or agree with me, etc, but here are my thoughts on the matter. I think z-moves are a way of contending with Megas and giving every Pokémon a chance to do something "great" or "useful" or what have you to appear in the meta game. They are only one use, but Megas are also exclusive to one Pokémon. At best, z-moves looks like they will be able to sort of OHKO a problem Pokémon on the other team if used correctly... So say someone is dominating with Mega Gengar or Kangaskhan and you don't have anything to deal with it on your team. You pull off your z-move, either severely crippling it or fainting it, and level the playing field once more. I think it's a smart feature in an attempt to add balance in the game, and can only help with Megas and not hurt. Plus, it's only one use, and your opponent has one too. Even better is it can become a game of "who has the z-move?" If you use it.

Only time can tell if z-moves are useful. To me, I think they will help and can be beneficial to the meta game, but I don't think I'm likely to use them in my play through of the campaign. As for some Pokémon getting their own Z-moves, I think that's just part of how marketing goes. I can see why some people would prefer a mega Snorlax over his own z-move, but it's not what they decided to do, and I'm not really surprised they highlighted the z-move feature in this way with a few exclusive ones. I don't think it was ever a question of "z-move OR mega" when it came to the designs, but rather "how are some fun ways we can expand on this z-move feature in our lore with the kids?" Thus we get "awake" Snorlax, as a play on the ongoing saga of his sleepiness.(on a side note, looks like his regular sprite model has been changed to lying down again XD. After all that progress you made up to X/Y Snorlax!)

On another note, it doesn't seem that exclusive z-moves (like snorlaxium Z) actually cause them to change form, only get their own z-move and animation for said move. Even Alolan Raichu we know already has that form before performing his z-move, and actually seems to get it because of his form (the surfer motif). So the info in the Chinese leak that says some z-moves unlock forms looks more and more suspicious. Doesn't prove the Chinese leak wrong (already predicted a lot of Pokémon right) just goes to show that every credible leak thus far has suspicious information, and that we must always be at least a little skeptical.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer

I'd hope not, seeing as that would lead to it getting practically no competitive use, but for all those interested, this is the (very rough) translation:

"Issues a serious attack" is,
To Snorlax with a "Snorlax Z ", by feeding the Z power, so can be used to change the "giga impact"!
Its overwhelming strength,
Let's experience in "Pokemon Sun Moon"!

knightwolf09

I just realized something. I think Rockruff and the starter's secret is that they have special z-moves.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
I just realized something. I think Rockruff and the starter's secret is that they have special z-moves.

It doesn't seem to be a secret, as already being used by Alolan Raichu and Snorlax. Something that only between the starters and Rockruff should be considered as a secret.

dukemon22

It doesn't seem to be a secret, as already being used by Alolan Raichu and Snorlax. Something that only between the starters and Rockruff should be considered as a secret.

I'd wager a guess that it's either the multiple evolutions thing, or all 4 have access to a higher form, like Ash-Greninja, and it involves utilizing the Z crystals in a certain way.

knightwolf09

Well it kind of is a secret. Nobody knew about unique z-moves till now. And since some go to specific pokemon, Rockfuff and the starters are probably some of the specific ones.

GDK

Where did you get that it was only them ?

It said they shared a secret, not that only them have it.
And at the time of the reveal neither snorlax or alolan raichu were a thing so yeah.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Where did you get that it was only them ?

It said they shared a secret, not that only them have it.
And at the time of the reveal neither snorlax or alolan raichu were a thing so yeah.

at the same time, I don't know why they'd say that those pokemon share a secret and then introduce the secret with different pokemon.

.Aerodactyl.

Well, z-moves have yet to show form changes, so it could still be possible, but I think it's more likely that they would just get signature z-moves without the form changes. I don't think z-moves will lead to form changes. As mascot Pokémon they are prime candidates to get signature z-moves, so rockruff evolution and the starter finals seem safe guesses for that.

I'm not necessarily willing to bet that's the secret that they share yet though, only because Rockruffs secret has recently been said to be in regards to its evolution, as the coro coro has promised us info this month on his "secret evolution" with a poster and multi-issue comic starting and everything. This could just mean that rockruff has two secrets, one to his evolution and one to the starters, but personally to me, I think it unlikely they would build up two separate secrets between issues that have no correlation.

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
I believe some Crystals will activate Synchro Evolution. I mean it's possible that a Special Z Move Water Shuriken activates Ash Greninja

Status
Not open for further replies.