• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzGirl41

I defininatly agree
it feels more real

That was one thing I first noticed about S/M's battle screen. They've finally gotten rid of the awful circle areas where your Pokémon are standing.

You guys, what if Lillie are Gladion are a homonculi? What if Lusamine created them after she encountered the Ultra Beasts sometime before the story began? (Just a theory, probably not true) or what if Lillie, Gladion, and Lusamine are all homonculi made by the Ultra Beasts?

I actually was referring to the touch screen where you select "Fight", "Flee", etc.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
So apparently, Metro UK mentions this:

"We even liked all the pokémon we saw, which are a pleasing mix of old school, brand new, and special Alola versions of existing creatures. So, for example, Rattata are now coloured grey and only come out at night, while Mewoth has evolved to follow it and is now a Dark type. Two hours in we only saw a few new pokémon but since he looked like a woodpecker we named our Pikipek to Woody and decided to name Grubbin (who looks like he’s probably going to evolve into some kind of stag beetle) Steve – after the grubbiest person we know."

"Two hours in we only saw a few new pokémon."

Damn.. Looks like we won't get a lot of new pokémon if that's the case.. I'm suspecting Yungoos, Pikipek and Grubbin to be on the early route or two, but that it will be crammed with older pokémon like how XY was.

Azery

To be fair, Unova, the region with the most new Pokemon didn't have much of a variety until a while on. Around Nacrene - Castelia, If I remember correctly.

Orphalesion

Damn.. Looks like we won't get a lot of new pokémon if that's the case.. I'm suspecting Yungoos, Pikipek and Grubbin to be on the early route or two, but that it will be crammed with older pokémon like how XY was.

:-( How far could they have come in 2 hours? Turth be told I was expecting Yungoos, Pikipek, Grubbin, and maybe Rockruff to be the only new early Route mons, maybe later routes are more "exotic"? Or maybe some new pokemon only come out at times that weren't covered in the trial?

So apparently, Metro UK mentions this:

"We even liked all the pokémon we saw, which are a pleasing mix of old school, brand new, and special Alola versions of existing creatures. So, for example, Rattata are now coloured grey and only come out at night, while Mewoth has evolved to follow it and is now a Dark type. Two hours in we only saw a few new pokémon but since he looked like a woodpecker we named our Pikipek to Woody and decided to name Grubbin (who looks like he’s probably going to evolve into some kind of stag beetle) Steve – after the grubbiest person we know."

Pocketgamer's review says basically the same thing:
"There are two joys to a new Pokemon game: finding a new monster and going "Woah! Look at that one! He's new!" and finding an old one and going "Woah! Look at that one! I remember him!"

The first type has basically been ruined by Nintendo's over the top pre-release marketing. In two hours with the game, I encountered only one critter that I hadn't already seen on Twitter.

But the second is given a fun new twist as monsters you remember from Red or Gold or Ruby have been reinvented to suit the Alolan environment.

The only ones I saw in my playthrough were a nasty black Rattata with a moustache, a fa-bu-lous Meowth who is way too chill to be fighting, and another I'm not allowed to talk about.
"
While I agree that this is definitely not making it look brighter for a huge amount of new pokémon, I'm not too sure how much it weights the other way. Some of the previews mentions that it still feel like you're in a "tutorial" after two hours of gameplay. So it might just be that the early game is very dialogue and plot heavy so the actual route progression isn't so huge. Most of them mention getting through the first trial and some mention coming to the big city by the beach at the end.

Last edited:

glacialcat

What if they added light type? It would probably be called "Good type" Or "Angel type" In japanese.

I feel like it would be super redundant with Fairy-type now. It was plausible before Fairy, but Fairy kind of stole a lot of what a Light-type could be.

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
Good point, I guess fairy kind of works as a "Good type".

Besides the fact that the Japanese Evil type is not what western culture thinks of when we hear evil. Fighting was already the "good" counter to the Evil type because the theme is supposed to be less angels and demons and more honor and deceit.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Pocketgamer's review says basically the same thing:
"There are two joys to a new Pokemon game: finding a new monster and going "Woah! Look at that one! He's new!" and finding an old one and going "Woah! Look at that one! I remember him!"

The first type has basically been ruined by Nintendo's over the top pre-release marketing. In two hours with the game, I encountered only one critter that I hadn't already seen on Twitter.

But the second is given a fun new twist as monsters you remember from Red or Gold or Ruby have been reinvented to suit the Alolan environment.

The only ones I saw in my playthrough were a nasty black Rattata with a moustache, a fa-bu-lous Meowth who is way too chill to be fighting, and another I'm not allowed to talk about.
"
While I agree that this is definitely not making it look brighter for a huge amount of new pokémon, I'm not too sure how much it weights the other way. Some of the previews mentions that it still feel like you're in a "tutorial" after two hours of gameplay. So it might just be that the early game is very dialogue and plot heavy so the actual route progression isn't so huge. Most of them mention getting through the first trial and some mention coming to the big city by the beach at the end.

does this confirm that variation pokemon can be from johto or hoenn too? :O I HOPE SOOO!

Baggie_Saiyan

:-( How far could they have come in 2 hours? Turth be told I was expecting Yungoos, Pikipek, Grubbin, and maybe Rockruff to be the only new early Route mons, maybe later routes are more "exotic"? Or maybe some new pokemon only come out at times that weren't covered in the trial?

By the looks of they went far enough to the point they got a taste for the game, a lot of the previews said they were excited for the demo too which is odd since I'd suspect 2hrs of the main game would not make them care, so perhaps this game may actually be pretty long, 2hrs in I was expecting to be on the second island by now.

I like how we aren't given a bunch of new starter route mon's instead we get a variety (it sounds like) form others gens.

knightwolf09

I saw this interesting paragraph on Eurogamer regarding the 2 hour gameplay

"Battles can then conclude with a post-fight mini-game similar to X and Y's Poké Amie feature where, charmingly, you can give your weary Pokémon some aftercare. Your Fire-type Litten is wet? You can blow dry its fur with a virtual hairdryer to raise your bond. Your Rowlet is in need of a pick-me-up? All critters can now be tempted with a Pokémon jelly bean. The end-game for all this pampering is likely Sun and Moon's new Z-Move mechanic, which provides each creature with a devastating new battle move. Sadly, this was discussed but not available to try in the games' opening two hours."

Sounds like Refresh can automatically activate.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

"Battles can then conclude with a post-fight mini-game similar to X and Y's Poké Amie feature where, charmingly, you can give your weary Pokémon some aftercare. Your Fire-type Litten is wet? You can blow dry its fur with a virtual hairdryer to raise your bond. Your Rowlet is in need of a pick-me-up? All critters can now be tempted with a Pokémon jelly bean. The end-game for all this pampering is likely Sun and Moon's new Z-Move mechanic, which provides each creature with a devastating new battle move. Sadly, this was discussed but not available to try in the games' opening two hours."

According to Nintendo Insider, it can activate if you press the Y button after the battle, so it's not automatic.

Pretty convenient for those who enjoy the feature, but it avoids it getting too repetitive or forced.

Bamboosle

Yeah, I read somewhere that a button shows up on lower screen that you can tap when you receive the xp after a battle

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
According to another article, it can activate if you press the Y button after the battle, so it's not automatic.

Pretty convenient for those who enjoy the feature, but it avoids it getting too repetitive or forced.

Agreed. After each battle, the players would feel forced. I, too, heard about the Y button, but I guess mine was about throwing Poké Ball in battle screen without the necessity to select it from the menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.