1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Generation VII Discussion' started by hydrosharp_98, Feb 26, 2016.

1. BlazingRagnarok

BlazingRagnarok Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me how SOS chains are counted and when the EV increase occurs? For example, does the chain count increase every time a pokemon is called, or is the chain disrupted and set back to 1 when the caller fails to summon or is KO'd? Do the doubled EVs only applied to summoned pokemon, or does the caller have its EVs boosted too?

2. Akashin

Akashin Well-Known Member

The very fact that she's so liberal with Nebby and lets it get away so easily is the answer to that question. She presumably has no interest in restricting Nebby's freedom more than is absolutely necessary.

As far as I'm aware, only called Pokemon will give double EVs. The initial Pokemon will still only give its base EV value, plus whatever other factors you have in play (Power items, Pokerus, etc.).

As for chain count, the entire system would border on being worthless if it reset on a failed call, so I would assume that it just steadily increases with every success.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  3. BlazingRagnarok

BlazingRagnarok Well-Known Member

Thanks. Much appreciated.

4. ItsHana

ItsHana Member

I am not sure about that... technically due to its ability it has 3 stabs. With high attack but low speed I think it's better him for him to be versatile over getting an awkward version of adaptability (especially when you account for the fact that steel moves in general are quite or low on accuracy.)

5. Tropios

Tropios ':o Me is stinky??'

I'm actually quite surprised to read this, as Alola feels really big to me compared to previous regions and I haven't even reached Poni yet. Sure there are perhaps less cities, but plenty of explorable areas. I'm already quite close to the amount of playtime it usually takes me to finish the main game and I'm not even that close to being done yet.

Anyways, I think this gen might just beat my previous faves gen 3 and 5 in terms of Pokémon, region, music, characters and overall gameplay for me. Story is looking good so far, but I'm not done yet so I can't tell yet. Downsides are that I barely run into new Pokémon in some areas compared to older ones, too many of them have low encounter rates. I also feel like the concept of regional forms is heavily underutilized.

6. I spent in all around 3 hours salamence hunting. Firstly to make a bagon appear (wasn't that bad, no longer than 20 minutes) but then also to make the bagon summon salamence, it was sooooo frustrating, bagon after bagon after bagon. Twice the bagon fainted from running out of moves and KO'ing itself with struggle! So i thought lifes too short and gave up lol im kinda glad too because having a salamence so early in the game would take any challenge out of the whole thing.

7. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Because there are only two type spots to work with and sometimes they have to pick the "best" two out of three or four potential types and make up the rest with moves or an Ability.

Gligar and Gliscor are great examples of this. It's a flying scorpion bat (?!), so they made it Ground/Flying and made up for the Poison part in its TM learnset.

8. Samayouru

Samayouru Rabid Dusclops Fan

Had a lot planned for a post on my full thoughts on S&M - turns out someone's beat me to the punch and summed up my experience with the games pretty well. I'm just going to comment when needed. Spoilered for your convenience because it's a pretty long post regardless.

I agree with all of the above! It definitely helped with the atmosphere of the games and I'd happily welcome those changes again in future instalments.

Yeah I always felt kinda bad for Pokemon that ended up being HM slaves. The rideable Pokemon is an interesting concept that I wouldn't mind seeing again (I kinda miss the Dowsing Rod though).

The Pokemon were kinda meh for me to be honest. I wasn't particularly fond of the UBs either. I think the designs that I liked the most were Rowlet and its evos, Alohan Marowak, Mimikyu, Necrozma and Incineroar.

Yeaaaah I don't think I want the Trials to be the new thing in Pokemon games (especially the grass trial - may the trial step bare-footed on many legos for the rest of eternity). I miss my gym leaders. I did like the Photobombing Hiker and Salazzle in the fire trial though.

Uuuuuggggghhhh I hate SOS battles - not another new way to catch Shnies easily - weren't they meant to be, like, super rare and hard to find? Sorry, guys, I'm just not a fan of lowered odds and new methods to make shinies super easy to find. Sue me.

[​IMG]

I was intrigued at first with her plotline - but seriously after a while I just wanted to stay as far away as I could from her and not taker with me to the other islands. She just talks waaaay too much - it's no wonder why Cosmog kept wandering off - it had probably had enough of her flapping jaw and wanted to go somewhere else!

No national Pokedex sucks imo. I'm with you on that - no update will make me very sad. :<

Aloha itself looked great graphics wise, but it's no Hoenn. I actually find it rather boring and a bit too linear, and not being able to explore houses and get nice things for it is annoying (as well as prevents the region from developing any sort of character). The reason why I say that is because of a little spin-off series: Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD were both set in a region that was mostly a barren desert - and I actually wanted to explore it! Yeah, they made a barren wasteland interesting, why couldn't they do the same for Aloha?

I feel you there. Rip in pepperoni Alohan Safari Zone and fossil Pokemon dreams, you will be missed.

Then there's the elephant in the room for me - two words: Shiny. Lock. Seriously, Game Freak, there are some of us that would love the challenge of getting some of these cool legendaries for ourselves. Y u keep doing this to me. :'(

tl;dr - While the games have a lot going for them, I just didn't enjoy them in the same way I did older games in the series. So unless GF pull something amazing for the next Pokemon games, then this'll be my last foray into the newer games.

9. ZPM

ZPM Active Member

Does Leaf/Green show at any point in the game, like during the main story or post-game?

Are trainer rematches an feature of this gen?

10. Onyx Tanuki

Onyx Tanuki Very very dramatical

Something I noticed on the items change page: Aguav, Figy, Iapapa, Mago, and Wiki Berries seem to have been boosted, from healing 12.5% HP when the user is at <= 50% to healing 50% HP when the user is at <=25%. Does this mean that, from a competitive standpoint, they're now a viable alternative to Sitrus Berry (possibly as an alternate strategy that partially punishes opponents who use Bug Bite or Pluck)? I don't recall the healing/trigger for Sitrus, but I believe it's either 25% or 50% when below 50% right? If it's the former then the heal/confusion berries may actually be better...

11. Wulava

Wulava Chuffed to bits Staff Member Moderator

"Nope" to both questions.

12. ZPM

ZPM Active Member

Thanks. I was curious because I had seen something on Tumblr that looked like official art of Green along side Red&Blue so it got me wondering.

13. seventhsword

seventhsword New Member

my problem is post UB content there is nowhere to really train, there is only the league, Morimoto, and the battle buffet, but the buffet and Morimoto are once per day. add to this the scaled exp.
    it is almost as if they got so caught up in making changes they forgot to make sure the change were good ones

14. Wulava

Well, the only best way to grind EXP post-game is to battle the E4 repeatedly with the Lucky Egg.
    Boosted EXP from Pokemon Refresh adds too.

Would've been better if you can just bypass E4 and infinitely sit on your chair and rebattle challengers.
    You're the Champion anyway. I don't see we have to rebattle E4 every time...

15. goodpeople25

goodpeople25 Well-Known Member

I'm fine with still having to prove ourselves, and even if it was optional I'd probably still do the elite 4 most of the time anyway. Out of the challengers only the guy who initially held the spot is champion lvl and only 3 more are eilte 4 lvl. (and I actually quite like the hierarchy given in the postgame) So it's not like beating the challenger proves we're still stronger than the E4, and the exp isn't better either. Yeah i'd skip in order to encounter all the challengers faster (still haven't encountered all of them and I end up fighting Hau and Gladion more than half the time) and the e4 does get a bit repetitive but I think the challengers would as well. (My rival fighting problem wouldn't go away for one)

Plus battling is just plain fun. (Or however e4 who's name kinda seems indicative of a completely different type and dosen't get baseball metaphors put it)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  16. Onyx Tanuki

Onyx Tanuki Very very dramatical

Since there's no competitive board/thread yet I figure this is the closest I can get to showing off a competitive team. It's so early on that tiers have yet to truly be explored, and new sets and tactics are being discovered every moment, but I'm still proud of how this team turned out.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Araquanid @ Waterium Z
    Ability: Water Bubble
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Liquidation
    - Lunge
    - Rain Dance
    - Crunch

My favorite new pokemon of the bunch so far, this thing has just unbelievable power with Water Bubble Liquidation, and Water Bubble Hydro Vortex supported by rain is even scarier. I went with Lunge over Leech Life since he's meant to punch holes, not to stay alive forever, but his low Speed makes the HP investment more worthwhile than Speed investment. Lunge is a decent alternative STAB, and Rain Dance beefs up his Liquidation while supporting most of my team. Crunch was honestly more filler; I could have probably taken Poison Jab in its place and come out about the same.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
    Bold Nature
    - Hurricane
    - Scald
    - U-turn
    - Roost

While an older pokemon, Drizzle gives him a new toy to play with that was originally only usable by Politoed and Kyogre. It is a bit dangerous since there's Thunder to look out for, and unlike Politoed, he's weak to Stealth Rock, but I just had to try him out regardless. Hurricane exploits the rain Pelipper can now set up freely, Scald gets the occasional burn (and is itself buffed in power by the rain), U-Turn can help him act as a pivot despite being at an odd speed tier for such a role, and Roost is recovery.

Forretress @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Rapid Spin
    - Volt Switch
    - Gyro Ball
    - Stealth Rock

Good old Forretress. He didn't really get anything special out of this new gen, but he didn't need it. I stuck with the classic set. Spin to remove rocks from the field, Stealth Rock to toss my own out, Gyro Ball for damage, Volt Switch so he can slow-pivot. Rain can help him weather a Fire hit as well.

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
    - Thunder
    - Volt Switch
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

With both Araquanid and Pelipper hurt by Electric, I needed something that could eat up any Electric moves I predict coming my way, and this fits the bill quite nicely while also acting as my revenge killer. Thunder over TBolt to take advantage of the rain, Volt Switch for fast pivoting, Shadow Ball and HP Ice for coverage. Nothing fancy.

Kartana @ Life Orb
    Ability: Beast Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Leaf Blade
    - Sacred Sword
    - Night Slash
    - Smart Strike

The other shiny new pokemon on my team. I almost made him Scarf, but decided Jolteon was good enough to fill that role, so I decided this guy could be a decent wallbreaker/lead instead. he's got the strongest Leaf Blade in the game, and Smart Strike is useful against any Fairy and Ice types I may face. Sacred Sword and Night Slash round out the coverage.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Earth Power
    - Recover
    - Toxic
    - Ice Beam

Last member of the team is classic Gastro. As well as being a second means to protect my team from Electric moves, he also can sponge up Water moves. Not too much need to explain this set.

Overall, I came out even in fights. Some worked out well, some didn't, but they were all fun because even in the ones I lost I was discovering new and interesting things (most notably how obscenely powerful Z-Conversion Porygon Z can be). I'm not gonna bother with commentary, I'll just let the matches speak for themselves.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-483434418
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-483441850
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-483448248
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-483458212
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-483463506
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-483466027

17. Wulava

You can show off your team on the In-Game Team Thread.
    Or on the General Competitive Sub-forum.

18. DJStarstryker

DJStarstryker Well-Known Member

I understand fossil Pokemon and missing them.

But I honestly have NEVER liked the Safari Zone, and that includes even back in 1998 with Pokemon Blue. It always felt like such a hassle to catch Pokemon there since you couldn't use your team to help you, and all you as the trainer could do was do things like throw out bait and throw out Pokeballs. If the Safari Zone didn't have its exclusive Pokemon, I never would've gone there. I don't miss it at all. Some people hate the SOS battles when it comes to catching Pokemon, because other Pokemon can sometimes keep coming and make it hard to catch what you were trying to catch. I hate the Safari Zone more than that. At least SOS battles give you XP when you beat things. You get nothing except wasted time and wasted Safari Balls when Pokemon don't want to stay in or run away.

19. Grey Wind

Grey Wind Only rescues maidens

I feel like they never really found a balance that made the Safari Zone interesting or worthwhile. It always just ended up being annoying and frustrating.

20. EmphaticPikachu

EmphaticPikachu A tired little girl~

Okay so I want to get this out somewhere:

The difficulty of this game is all over the place and its kind of upsetting me.

The totem pokemon were awesome and surprised the **** out of me multiple times, but thats pretty much the only reason they're hard; they're really good strats but because theres only one of them, if you're prepared for it, you can smack them down easily. It's...Kind of saddening tbh, since they were so much fun the first time around.
    Will be interesting the nuzlocke I guess, but I really want them to find a way to make these battles a little less predictable a second time around.

but lets get to my main point of contention: the leveling.
    Dear god what was up with this

I only used the Amie buffs and I kept up with the levels pretty well without the exp share, I fell behind a few times, but as per usual with pokemon games, if you actually spend the time to go everywhere, you'll catch up easily, and I always felt that was the intention.

but then I got to poni island and...

what the ****

suddenly every pokemon, wild included, are outleveling me. and theres no catch up period. I got so frustrated with this; I kept having to go back and reheal all the time because I didn't know what I was going to fight against and each pokemon would always poke rediculous holes in my team, specially for ones i wanted to train...Just, agh.
    And the levels kept increasing with little way to catch up, I was at a loss until I finally gave in and used the exp share, which got me pretty much even until the Elite four.
    It didn't completely ruin the expereince for me but I was quite miffed with how this came out. I don't understand why it had to jump like that, did they run out of space and time?
    It was going so well litterally right until then...

I guess it doesn't matter if you use the exp share but agh.