1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Generation VII Discussion' started by hydrosharp_98, Feb 26, 2016.

1. XXD17

XXD17 Draco rex

I understand the SOS torture lol. It's cool when you are EV training, but downright annoying when you need to catch a common 'mon. But a small trick is if you paralyze the pokemon, it can't call for help.

2. TeamTurtle

TeamTurtle Active Member

Just started properly with Sun and 9hours in on island 1. Main reason for the delay is forging my new team with the right nature's to then post game reset evs and use bottle caps for IVs.

So for the first time ever I soft reset for a modest popplio. Took an hour or so for that. Then onto grubbin for a modest nature. At only 10% encounter rate that took forever. Then onto an adamant rockruff and the cursed sos battles!

They really do suck and can be a right pain in the *** trying to catch a pokemon. Plus I needed a rockruff with vital spirit. However sos battles with this were a bonus.

Encounter a rockruff, hit it with sand attack. If the mon had keen eye you are told, but rather than run away, I used the sos mechanic to my advantage and waited until at VS rockruff to appear. Saved a lot of.time and money with pokeballs

3. Salamandit

Salamandit Well-Known Member

Is wondertrade back in this game?

4. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

It is. No changes to its function.

5. Creyk

Creyk Well-Known Member

Interstingly, a totem pokemon called for help after I put it to sleep. I wonder if totems are programmed to always get help on the first turn they appear or regular sleeping mon can also call an ally.

6. Salamandit

Salamandit Well-Known Member

Thanks so you still can get ninetales easily on moon version? And the version you buy doesn't do anything as you can simply and fast get all moon or sun exclusives in your game without having the need of real life friends?

7. DJStarstryker

DJStarstryker Well-Known Member

Yes to both. You can't get Ninetails in Moon without trading though.

Honestly, you haven't had to have real life friends to play Pokemon and get everything since Gen 4*. But yeah, online trading, Wonder Trade, and GTS all exist and are all potential possibilities to get it.

*At least when they first came out. Gen 4 and Gen 5 obviously no longer have online access.

8. Koldes

Koldes Returning player

From what I've seen, inflicting any status effect on them lowers the chance for them to call, but doesn't remove it completely. That may be wrong (using a small sample size) so take it with a grain of salt.

9. Wryteous

Wryteous Rogue Trainer

Curious to know... does the move Throat Chop prevent wild pokemon calling for help?

10. Hero of Truth

Hero of Truth Lillie Fan

What about the wild Pokémon of Poni Island? They are at levels of 50 and over. I think they are suitable for EXP-grinding post-game.

11. Wulava

Wulava Chuffed to bits Staff Member Moderator

If you're already at Lv.70+, wild Pokemon doesn't really give much EXP...

12. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Easily, using Wonder Trade? No. Wonder Trade is completely random.

13. Subpyro

Subpyro Choice Scarfed

This has probably been asked multiple times already but I'll just go ahead and ask it myself: what's post-game content like in Sun/Moon?

Do we have a Battle Maison, Battle Frontier, or anything along those lines?

Edit: So I see that there is a Battle Tree; is there anything alongside it?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  14. BlazingRagnarok

BlazingRagnarok Well-Known Member

This game's postgame content is in line with other generational first entries. There's the battle tree alongside capturing the Tapu, Ultra Beats, and Necrozma. There are also a handful of other postgame-only items and events scattered across the region. Other posters in this thread have stated with their dissatisfaction with this amount of content compared to ORAS, despite the lack of precedent for first entries having sequel or remake-caliber postgames. The large legendary roster does make SM's postgame more extensive than X and Y.

15. Akashin

Akashin Well-Known Member

As far as battle facilities are concerned? There's the Battle Royal, though it isn't post-game per se.

16. cl94

cl94 Well-Known Member

I'd actually say the postgame beats out every generational first other than Gen II. Decent amount of areas that are only open for the postgame and 10 legendaries (plus Cosmog/Cosmoem if you count them). Postgame battles are far more challenging than any game other than Gen II and its remakes. Red/Blue will probably be quite difficult if you don't have a balanced team. As far as what's actually obtainable in each game, I'd say that Sun/Moon might have more that doesn't require trades than any other game so far.

Gen II's postgame only wins out because you have another 8 gyms to beat and a final boss at the end of that.

17. clbgolden12

clbgolden12 Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer

Pretty basic stuff. There's a few post-game areas to explore, and in addition to the Tree there's also Battle Royals, the Battle Buffet, and a few Trainers to face around the region (the Eevee Trainers, Morimoto, and the Trainer School principle come to mind).

18. Sαpphire

Sαpphire Well-Known Member

Well, if you're going by first entries in each generation, this might be accurate - one thing I personally highly value is the return of all the prominent older characters both post-game and in the Battle Tree.

However, in terms of all games across the series, then aside from Johto and its remakes you also have B2/W2 that have a TON of post-game content. This fits right alongside the theory that the longer GF has to work with a generation, the more content we get. SM have more content post-champ than, arguably: RBGY, RSE, DPPt, BW, and XY. They have roughly the same as ORAS. I'd say that GSC, HGSS, B2W2, and maybe FRLG have more - the latter because of the several islands that you don't unlock until you beat the game, including a plot extension on those islands and a more challenging E4 rematch.

The only thing that truly disappoints me about the Sun and Moon post-game is the level cap of 65 for all opponents but one, who for all intents and purposes caps at 66 (his sole Lv. 70 isn't all that tough). While I know that it's not common to have much higher in the first game of a generation, since RSE/DP/XY didn't get any or much higher than SM. But still, I did really love how Gen 5, Platinum, HGSS, etc. had some really high levels once you get far enough.

19. Griever789

Griever789 Well-Known Member

I do like this game, I like they brought back the clothing customization and I hope that becomes a mainstay. Though I hope they bring back super training, sure it wasn't the fastest way to do it but I did like the level of control I had with it, like when getting ev off of pokemon I have to worry about when the job is done and to make sure I have the exact right amount when super training basically told me immediately when the job is done and how much ev points a thing gave me so I could keep track of it. I like they brought back join avenue in a way though I wish they didn't split the ev training stores into three stores you need. Really though in minor complaints, I kind of wish it was technically feasible to have crazy long hair like Lusamine on your player character, and I wish you could get Lillie's dress...or really any major characters clothing in general. Though I have a feeling if the sinnoh remakes are a thing they are going to take out clothing customization again for that. But hey that gamefreak for ya, they put a cool feature in one or two game (....Coughcough battle frontier,CoughcoughPokemon following youcoughcoughcough) and then take it out.

Though hey it's still a pokemon game and it's about what I expected from it.

20. cl94

cl94 Well-Known Member

It's worth noting that the high levels in the Johto games are really only possible because of how many gyms you need to get through to see those opponents. Red might have a Pikachu in the 80s (exact level depends on the generation), but you probably have something of a comparable level by that point just because of how high you need to be to get through Lance's Dragonites and all of Kanto.