1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Generation VII Discussion' started by hydrosharp_98, Feb 26, 2016.

1. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Following Pokémon were in HG/SS almost solely because the overworld Pokémon sprites were used in the Pokéathlon, and were able to be repurposed as the following feature. Pokéathlon didn't return, and so for Black/White there was no point in keeping a sprite set consisting of four sprites times 649 Pokémon for something ultimately as unnecessary as the following feature.

By the time the games got to Generation VI, they were already straining the system in the busier areas of the overworld and cities. Adding following Pokémon in the overworld would have further increased that strain unnecessarily.

2. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army

If they do make Sinnoh remakes, I'd like to see trainer customization to be utilized in the Contests so you can match each category such as a tux or fancy dress for Beauty, a Scientist lab coat for Clever, and a glam rock outfit for Cool Contests.

3. Griever789

Griever789 Well-Known Member

Yes yes I know the techincal reasons why they removed it...still it was a fun little thing. I hope if the rumors of the main franchase moving over to the switch is true if maybe with that extra power they could have a pokemon follow...but eh I not holding my breath.

4. TrottingMinccino

TrottingMinccino Victory Star!

I hope you folks don't mind, but let's talk the Pokedex...Is it just me or does this Generation have the most brutal entries yet? Almost everything I catch is described to be how just unforgivably deadly they are to humans and/or other pokemon. Heck, some of them describe how vulnerable they are to others, it's kind of depressing. I'm baffled they still managed an E-rating with such savagery in the 'Dex entries. I don't usually pay them much mind, but now they're throwing them in my face like leaf litter that I CAN'T ignore them. I'm not kidding, just read a few...some of them are just plain terrifying, so much it made me put down the game for a bit!

Why did they decide to do that? Is it to prove a point? Is it to make the franchise more serious than it needs to be? Because so far it seems to be working, and its starting to put me off...I mean, it's leaving me so conflicted it's not funny...

Go ahead, think me a wuss, but I stand by what I say...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  5. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army

I found the one Wicke read to us quite horrifying. And Moon's about Bewear was quite terrifying because it literally said that Bewear have killed their trainers with a simple hug. Mimikyu's in Sun was also quite unpleasant. Although the Bewear did make me laugh a tiny bit because I thought about the one episode of Family Guy where Peter's mom dies and he meets her friend and ends up snapping the friend's spine after a hug.

6. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Neither. Clearly they simply decided to have a bit more fun than usual with some of the flavor text in Alola. The bit about Bounsweet looking cheerful when it flees in terror so nobody comes to its aide is particularly darkly funny.

Point being, we're supposed to chuckle, perhaps somewhat uncomfortably, and move on. They're just text entries, and some of them have been similarly dark for generations, to equally little effect going forward.

7. TrottingMinccino

*Shudder* This is why I handle so few Ghost types. Even Dark types aren't as bad...

In other words, the Flavor Text should have absolutely no impact on the Trainer's experience? Because the last thing I need is an instance of what is read actually happening!

8. cl94

cl94 Well-Known Member

Please, Cubone's entry from Yellow talks about it wearing the skull of its dead mother and at least one game of every generation since has continued it. Gengar's Silver entry talks about it killing people. The dark humor has existed in the games forever.

9. TrottingMinccino

Geez, you'd think after several generations they could consider being a little more, I dunno, subtle about it? So it doesn't, Y'know, scar folks for life? *Shrug*

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  10. goodpeople25

goodpeople25 Well-Known Member

Actually for some I think saying it outright would help matters, at least when it comes the the hunting aspects. Make it more textbook I guess, it's not like that aspect isn't in real life.

11. Sαpphire

Sαpphire Well-Known Member

Speaking of Gengar, its Sun and Moon dex entries are horrifying in the best possible way! Its Moon entry is actually a lot more explicit about it just up and killing humans than its Silver one.

12. TrottingMinccino

Ah, and that is EXACTLY what bothers me so! Why. Do. Lives. Have. To. Be. Taken?!

They could have gone with the harsh injury or the-never-the-same-again path, but nooo. They must outright take one's life! Why does it have to be that way?

13. Sαpphire

Sαpphire Well-Known Member

I think it kind of adds an element of realism to the franchise that isn't really otherwise present. Logically speaking, these Pokemon are life forms that must have some sort of circle of life; every area its own food chain, every species a different way of interacting with humans. It's not so much that the entries are all darker as it is that they're realistic, treating the Dex like (as someone above mentioned) a textbook of sorts.

14. goodpeople25

Again, there is a valid argument that outright stating it is actually better, especially in the cases were it's realistic. As said this isn't new, they just didn't as often state it outright and honestly I think some reactions are made worse because they were subtle or out of the way before. Now with the ghosts there isn't really any equivalents but the hunting is part of life.

15. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

they're territorial, magical beasts that breathe fire and fart lightning, often simultaneously

what do you expect

16. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

None whatsoever. That's why it's called "flavor text" and not "unarguably ironclad canonical text that you absolutely cannot overlook."

17. TrottingMinccino

I expected them to be sentient and to have a little more consideration for my life, no matter how meager I may seem. >_> I'm guess i'm a minority in that regard...

Hehe, that made me laugh a bit! This makes me feel a little better, thanks!

18. goodpeople25

Toxapex's seems to fit the later category though. (From what I remeber of the scene in aether paradise anyway)

19. Tropios

Tropios ':o Me is stinky??'

Just became champion and honestly I'm impressed by these games. GF got me so hyped I was a little bit scared I'd end up disappointed, but no, these are my new favorite Pokémon games!

Did anyone else have the feeling they bonded much more with the Pokémon this time around? I never really bothered with amie, but I use refresh so often and the benefits of it saved me in battle more than once. Also I think I'm going to train the legendary mascot for the first time ever, I'd almost feel guilty leaving it in a box after everything!

20. DJStarstryker

DJStarstryker Well-Known Member

Speaking of Pokedex, I find it weird that the Island Scan Pokemon are not part of the Alola Dex. Sure, they might be more rare of things, but they're technically still present on Alola.