• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightwolf09

That depends on how much you value the work you've put in and how willing you are to do it again, I suppose. I intend to hold off until Bank is compatible, but if you have a friend you can use to circumvent that, all the power to you.

I'd never call it a dumb move though. And at the end of the day, it's entirely up to you.

Alright then cool. But I want to get this done before the Munchlax event is over so ruling bank out.

goodpeople25

True but what we definitely know was that the Golf Course is intended for the game but didn't quite make the cut for the final version. Why would it be there on the map in the first place? Definitely not for looks. haha.
I'm going to stick with the late-development cycle part since it makes a bit more sense to me that they were trying to make 8 trial areas similar to the 8 gym leaders in other regions. Just speculation though.:p

For the areas not being expanded, it's only a minor thing but I was expecting a bigger structure inside hotels, story buildings, the power plant (I honestly thought that you could go to the back of it), the missing plots of land, the golf course and that lake area where there's water streaming from the rocks (I'm guessing that's the place for Lana's trial but it still doesn't feel like a huge area).

Most of the areas in SM feel a bit small and not that long. The buildings doesn't give you that massive vibe like the Pokemon Mart in Lilycove for example.
No I don't think we do definitely know that without an actual full map like the guy claimed, and there are quite a few possible reasons to show it just on the map. (And looks is one of them, ha)

Again I bring up the "growing pains" I mentioned earlier, things are different now comapred to previous games (gen V backward and even different styles of games are different) when it comes to stuff like that. They can show a powerplant building just in the background, they can add a golfcourse to a map so the hotel could have a golf course (not saying they didn't cut it as an area though) and if the region feeling smaller is a misstep to you that's fine but to me it's at least partially on purpose and fits fine. (I think it's both the graphics and to fit the feel of the region). We have a closer looking map for example and real world islands to be somewhat based on, taking up space that isn't just plain rock is a valid concern for them. Anyway to me the space isn't wasted it allows them to have golfing related to the hotel and have a power plant building and Pokemon and not raise the question of where the actual golf course and powerplant is. (We were supposed to have 8 trials like gyms seems a bit too much like trying to fit this into a mold to me as well)

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
The Battle Tree is so stooopid!

The regular formats don't even start off with easy Pokémon so you can't grind for the power items all that comfortably, and you can only get so far with your in-game team. Very difficult to breed with so little right now.

Thankfully the Tapu's and ultra beasts are kinda broken for it.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer

The regular formats don't even start off with easy Pokémon so you can't grind for the power items all that comfortably, and you can only get so far with your in-game team. Very difficult to breed with so little right now.

I noticed this as well. When one of my first opponents showed up with a fully evolved starter I kind of went "lol wut".

Thankfully Kartana just slices (pun intended) through the opponents pretty easily.

goodpeople25

They also at least provided a life orb that wasn't locked behind BP, (Some other items as well but I think life orb is the most used) if not to do better in the battle tree at least you don't need to buy one.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.

Yeah, I don't like the Battle Tree either. Or the battle royals for that matter. They are too dam hard. Shame too. All I wanted were some BP so I could exchange them for ability enhancers that I would then sell to the poke-mart, but noooooo. All my girl gets is her pride wounded. :(

Phantump237

What are you talking about? Battle Royals are great! I completly don't understand competetive and i have so much fun with my in-game team and i already beat with them master rank couple times. It's way better than Battle Maison from previous games. I didn't try Battle Tree yet so i don't have to much to say about it.

Yeah, I don't like the Battle Tree either. Or the battle royals for that matter. They are too dam hard. Shame too. All I wanted were some BP so I could exchange them for ability enhancers that I would then sell to the poke-mart, but noooooo. All my girl gets is her pride wounded. :(

Also in the Battle Tree I got especially salty about only certain characters returning.... if you're gonna include Cynthia, at least add other champions too...

knightwolf09

Also in the Battle Tree I got especially salty about only certain characters returning.... if you're gonna include Cynthia, at least add other champions too...

Yeah, we rally got a random line up of returners. I'm still questioning why Grimsley returned. But at least Colress and Anabel were explained.

Yeah, we rally got a random line up of returners. I'm still questioning why Grimsley returned. But at least Colress and Anabel were explained.

Theoretically, if any Unova elite four member should've come back, it should've been one of the girls. Caitlin has been seen to travel before, and Shauntal is a writer and writes about trainers from other regions. Also, she writes about a trainer who's mind "bonded with its trainer, and an Aqua ring unfolds". It's especially likely that this is Ash-Greninja, but Ash hasn't been seen to meet Shauntal, leaving the player of S/M, so it would make sense for Shauntal to write about a meeting with them. But instead Grimsley, who is 3rd on the most popular Unova elite four member thread on this forum, and has no reason to be there at all, is who we got.

But yeah, Colress and Anabel were explained, as well as Sian and Dexio, although I wish Sina and Dexio weren't there either...

cl94

Sina and Dexio are only there so they could tie in Zygarde and Mega Evolution. Other than possibly Sycamore himself, they are probably the most logical people to have in Alola for that purpose.

goodpeople25

I don't know giving them teams (while mainly Dexio since I don't think Sina gets the postgame full fight for whatever reason) when they didn't before and a redesign is a reason in itself.

Anyway the battle tree isn't really the greatest hits alot of people seems to have expected but that is what it is. (honestly the "random" ones to me are the battle tree battle only ones who do fit the greatest hits thing, Wally and Cynthia though I do get the need for filler)

Akashin

Theoretically, if any Unova elite four member should've come back, it should've been one of the girls. Caitlin has been seen to travel before, and Shauntal is a writer and writes about trainers from other regions. Also, she writes about a trainer who's mind "bonded with its trainer, and an Aqua ring unfolds". It's especially likely that this is Ash-Greninja, but Ash hasn't been seen to meet Shauntal, leaving the player of S/M, so it would make sense for Shauntal to write about a meeting with them. But instead Grimsley, who is 3rd on the most popular Unova elite four member thread on this forum, and has no reason to be there at all, is who we got.

But yeah, Colress and Anabel were explained, as well as Sian and Dexio, although I wish Sina and Dexio weren't there either...

Why would Shauntal have written about something that hadn't happened yet, though? I don't think the similarity between her story and Ash Greninja is anything more than a funny coincidence in the first place though, personally. Not to mention that she makes it sound pretty clear that that story she wrote was a fictional one based on one of her challengers.

Personally, I don't see why Grimsley would need a specific reason to be in Alola beyond having an interest in the Battle Tree.

TTNH03

Pokemon Researcher
No I don't think we do definitely know that without an actual full map like the guy claimed, and there are quite a few possible reasons to show it just on the map. (And looks is one of them, ha)

Again I bring up the "growing pains" I mentioned earlier, things are different now comapred to previous games (gen V backward and even different styles of games are different) when it comes to stuff like that. They can show a powerplant building just in the background, they can add a golfcourse to a map so the hotel could have a golf course (not saying they didn't cut it as an area though) and if the region feeling smaller is a misstep to you that's fine but to me it's at least partially on purpose and fits fine. (I think it's both the graphics and to fit the feel of the region). We have a closer looking map for example and real world islands to be somewhat based on, taking up space that isn't just plain rock is a valid concern for them. Anyway to me the space isn't wasted it allows them to have golfing related to the hotel and have a power plant building and Pokemon and not raise the question of where the actual golf course and powerplant is. (We were supposed to have 8 trials like gyms seems a bit too much like trying to fit this into a mold to me as well)

I guess everyone has a different opinion of things.

I just think some areas was kind of misleading to put it in there which can give people the wrong idea of things.

Still I think this game was a major improvement over the older games I have to say. They've changed the character models, made the environment more lively and I definitely enjoyed the story too.

cl94

A lot of it is just added scenery. Prior to Gen V, scenery that didn't have a purpose was virtually nonexistent, hence why the Vermilion truck had so many theories. Personally, I think it's cool and makes things seem more realistic. That being said, almost every inch of each island is explorable in this game, as is much of the surrounding water. Huge swaths of every prior region were unreachable.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

If you ask me, I'd say Ula'ula Island has a lot of unused space. You can see it in the incredibly low density of Charizard Glide landing spots compared to Akala Island, which is totally packed. Though I suppose, in a way, that does reflect the actual human distribution of the Big Island, but it still feels like a waste that what are the two tallest volcanoes on Earth has its Alolan counterpart both be single simple paths to one building on it. It makes me wonder if there's more they would've put in but didn't.

I'd say the same for Poni Island, but I think the idea there is that it's supposed to be mostly untouched wilderness, reflected in how there aren't even numbered routes there, routes suggesting they've been modified for human travel. I think THAT part was intentional. (The real Kauai is not quite as extreme; there are at least some permanent human settlements on the actual island.)

Well, Cynthia IS extremely popular.

Should've been Phoebe because she actually dresses the part.

goodpeople25

If you ask me, I'd say Ula'ula Island has a lot of unused space. You can see it in the incredibly low density of Charizard Glide landing spots compared to Akala Island, which is totally packed. Though I suppose, in a way, that does reflect the actual human distribution of the Big Island, but it still feels like a waste that what are the two tallest volcanoes on Earth has its Alolan counterpart both be single simple paths to one building on it. It makes me wonder if there's more they would've put in but didn't.

I'd say the same for Poni Island, but I think the idea there is that it's supposed to be mostly untouched wilderness, reflected in how there aren't even numbered routes there, routes suggesting they've been modified for human travel. I think THAT part was intentional. (The real Kauai is not quite as extreme; there are at least some permanent human settlements on the actual island.)

Well, Cynthia IS extremely popular.

Should've been Phoebe because she actually dresses the part.
Flight location density isn't really a good marker at all when it comes to how big/amount of content an island has or how well it used the space though, the fly locations go alot more by the individual locations than the bigger picture of the island. You'll notice a bunch of fly spots are placed right next to each other as to be almost completely redundant and most follow a specification that also dosen't necessarily amount to much when looking at the island as a whole.

Pokemon centers, trials site and ruin/legendary locations are the ones with a clear pattern then a few locations with post game value (the two BP facilities and the breeding place) then some other routes/buildings (those ones do have more significance in this matter) To go into the flight densitiy of Akala it has the most trial sites, 2 post game locations and I'd say the biggest issue with redundant fly spots. (Royal avenue is a big stickout)

Status
Not open for further replies.