• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doobius

there any gen 1-6 pokes with previously unavailable HA now available in SM via SOS?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Yeah, some information on a Pokémon's summary just looks like a bunch of flavour text. Like an "Oh, my Skitty is jolly and mischievous. That's cute" kinda thing. Natures are clearer to understand, now that the stats are colour coded and the rest is just kinda up for interpretation. At least IVs are much clearer now with the PC update you can get after you beat SuMo.

btw the characteristics ("alert to sounds" etc) are basically just a hint to tell you which of the Pokémon's stat has the highest IV. Kinda useless with the PC update.

It's not obvious what you have to do to unlock the judge app though. I mean, I had to come ask here. I know what the previous stats judges do, and I couldn't tell you had to hatch a lot of eggs. It's unintuitive, and something that would take a long time for someone who doesn't come to places like these to unlock, if they ever do so at all.

It's really only clear if an NPC says something, you run into it by battling or playing Contests, or it comes up in the narration, or something like that.

I should point out that my roommate in college is pretty bright and observant. He had been playing since Generation I, and by the tme we were in college, it was Generation IV. He knew exactly what Substitute does and how it can be exploited, but he was completely unaware of any mechanics that weren't spelled out for you in the game, that you couldn't figure out by experimenting from a known starting point (like what he used to learn Substitute's ins and outs), or, in the case of the Pokérus, something so rare that a minority of players will ever encounter it.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
there any gen 1-6 pokes with previously unavailable HA now available in SM via SOS?

Every Kanto Pokemon except the legendary birds has had their Hidden Ability made available through some means in Gen V or Gen VI. Since the legendary birds don't appear at all in Gen VII, there aren't any.

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
So has everyone heard of the new rumour circling around? Apparently, if the Pokemon Stars rumours are true, then there might be 20+ new Pokemon in it. I'm honestly split on whether I should believe it.

I wouldn't put much stock in it at this point. I don't think we have any official confirmation from Nintendo yet. Plus i'm really hoping it's not called Stars. Reason being is that the sun is itself a star, albeit a special category of star. We already have one called sun so it would be somewhat redundant to have two games based on stars.

BCVM22

Reason being is that the sun is itself a star, albeit a special category of star. We already have one called sun so it would be somewhat redundant to have two games based on stars.

That is... unnecessarily, overly specific as reasoning goes. It would not be "redundant" at all.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I wouldn't put much stock in it at this point. I don't think we have any official confirmation from Nintendo yet. Plus i'm really hoping it's not called Stars. Reason being is that the sun is itself a star, albeit a special category of star. We already have one called sun so it would be somewhat redundant to have two games based on stars.

I'm not a giant fan of the name myself, but I personally don't think that matters at all, even being someone studying to be an astrophysicist. The Sun may be categorized as a star, but as far as the concept the name represents, they are two completely different things, at least colloquially. Personally, I just don't like the name just because I find the plural to be awkward. I wouldn't mind a game called "Star Version," but "Stars Version" just sounds awkward to me.

Adrexus

Do it the bird way!
I'm not a giant fan of the name myself, but I personally don't think that matters at all, even being someone studying to be an astrophysicist. The Sun may be categorized as a star, but as far as the concept the name represents, they are two completely different things, at least colloquially. Personally, I just don't like the name just because I find the plural to be awkward. I wouldn't mind a game called "Star Version," but "Stars Version" just sounds awkward to me.

I agree, plural would be awkward.

A lot of people are throwing around Eclipse for a third title as well. While I like the name and concept, I think this one would be less likely since an eclipse is not a celestial body like the sun and moon are. At least it seems to me that the celestial body theme is what GF is going for this time around and not necessarily space as a whole. While not a fan of the name, I could definitely see Star/s being a strong candidate since it fits that criteria.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

If the third one is called Stars Version, then it'd be a reference to the phrase "Sun, Moon and Stars," an idiom referring to the collective heavens and outer space.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Personally, I just don't like the name just because I find the plural to be awkward. I wouldn't mind a game called "Star Version," but "Stars Version" just sounds awkward to me.

Bro, have you been living under a rock?

Even Game Freak gave up on the "Version" artifact of the game titles back in 2013.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
A lot of people are throwing around Eclipse for a third title as well. While I like the name and concept, I think this one would be less likely since an eclipse is not a celestial body like the sun and moon are. At least it seems to me that the celestial body theme is what GF is going for this time around and not necessarily space as a whole. While not a fan of the name, I could definitely see Star/s being a strong candidate since it fits that criteria.

I've really given up on speculating on what the third version might be called after Gray and Z didn't happen. Honestly, the third version title has never really been obvious. So if it's not Stars (or Star), then it probably won't be Eclipse or something equally as obvious.

If the third one is called Stars Version, then it'd be a reference to the phrase "Sun, Moon and Stars," an idiom referring to the collective heavens and outer space.

Sure, doesn't make it sound less awkward though. I wouldn't even say it necessarily has to be a reference to the idiom at all though. There's just the simple fact that the Sun, Moon, and stars are three most dominant things we see in the sky.

Bro, have you been living under a rock?

Even Game Freak gave up on the "Version" artifact of the game titles back in 2013.

Sure, the word isn't on the covers, that doesn't mean the term doesn't apply. They're still different versions of the same game.

BCVM22

I've really given up on speculating on what the third version might be called after Gray and Z didn't happen.

I agree that "Gray" is certainly debatable, but I think Zygarde and other factors make it pretty clear that had there been a single third Kalos game, it would have been titled Pokémon Z, though.

I wouldn't even say it necessarily has to be a reference to the idiom at all though. There's just the simple fact that the Sun, Moon, and stars are three most dominant things we see in the sky.

But if the title is accurate (questionable), the point is that it's specifically an idiomatic reference and not a scientific reference, which renders the stance of "but the sun is already a star!" even sillier. It's the same reason why Gold and Silver had "heart and soul" tacked on for their remakes, the same reason why Ruby and Sapphire had "alpha and omega" tacked on for theirs, albeit inverted. They weren't references to actual heart, actual soul (whatever one believes an "actual" soul is), or the biblical Alpha and Omega.

Sure, the word isn't on the covers, that doesn't mean the term doesn't apply. They're still different versions of the same game.

No, it does apply. The games themselves aren't titled with "version" anymore, which was the point. It doesn't matter if someone believes "Stars Version" sounds awkward, because that won't be the title of the game. "Pokémon X Version" also sounds awkward, but that is similarly irrelevant, because that wasn't the title of the game.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I agree that "Gray" is certainly debatable, but I think Zygarde and other factors make it pretty clear that had there been a single third Kalos game, it would have been titled Pokémon Z, though.

My point was more that things didn't go down ad people expected, regardless of what could have happened in another world.

But if the title is accurate (questionable), the point is that it's specifically an idiomatic reference and not a scientific reference, which renders the stance of "but the sun is already a star!" even sillier. It's the same reason why Gold and Silver had "heart and soul" tacked on for their remakes, the same reason why Ruby and Sapphire had "alpha and omega" tacked on for theirs, albeit inverted. They weren't references to actual heart, actual soul (whatever one believes an "actual" soul is), or the biblical Alpha and Omega.

I guess.

No, it does apply. The games themselves aren't titled with "version" anymore, which was the point. It doesn't matter if someone believes "Stars Version" sounds awkward, because that won't be the title of the game. "Pokémon X Version" also sounds awkward, but that is similarly irrelevant, because that wasn't the title of the game.

Is the term version no longer part of the title? Is there any official reason to believe that, or is it just because it's not on the cover anymore? I always just assumed they dropped from the covers for the sake of making more interesting logos, as it was at the same time they dropped the term that the logos became more than just block text, but it was still an implied part of the title. Regardless, even if we drop the version, I still find Stars to be a more awkward name than Star.

Not that it means much, but I might as well say that X Version and Y Version actually sounds better as titles to me than just X and Y. Sure we all shorten the names of Pokemon games, so there's nothing wrong with X and Y alone to me, but X Version and Y Version sound more like actual titles to me. Of course, that's just a matter of opinion.

BCVM22

As we've already stated, "Version" was dropped from the official game titles starting with X and Y and continuing through what is now three consecutive core title releases. That's how they're officially labeled, listed and marketed. There's never been any disconnect in that regard

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Hatched 16 Cleffa the Poke Pelgo yesterday. Already traded one for a Lapras. I gave them Metronome and Aromatherapy. I'm keeping the only male I hatched with Magic Guard and a female with Magic Guard. I also got a couple hard to find Pokemon on the GTS

There is a whole debate going on as to whether the rumour should be called "Stars" or "Star", but I personally think it doesn't matter too much. Stars is most likely just a code word, similar to how Sun and Moon were called "Rainbow". If I think Stars is anything, it's a Sun2/Moon2 thing.

Orphalesion

I think Stars is a great title. "Pokemon Stars" and "Pokemon Stars Version" sound cool imho.

As others have said "Sun, Moon, Stars", the colloquial and mythological understanding of the celestial bodies. It also rolls off the tongue nicely. What people might want to consider is that "Stars" in the sense of "the Stars" when talking about all the pretty-pretty twinkly lights in the night sky is a "collective plural" so it's really one thing, a whole, not many little ones like, for example "Pokemon Rubies" would be.

And all schematics of "bu-bu-bu the Sun IS a Starz so a game called Pokemon Stars is impossiburu!" aside, the Stars, in the collective sense are considered a distinctive thing form the sun in day to day use. Even if it is technically correct no one is likely to point at the sunrise and say "Hey look, that big star closest to our planet is already rising!" or sit outside at a clear night and say "look at all the suns tonight!" Language doesn't work that way, so the "Sun" and "the Stars" are two different, cultural concepts.

As to the 20 "new Pokemon". The most I personally hope for is 20 new Alolan Forms (which would still be sweet, the concept was underutilized) though I do have the nagging feeling that Marshadow at least and possibly some stuff like the Ash hat Pikachus will be included in these "new" Pokemon.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
As we've already stated, "Version" was dropped from the official game titles starting with X and Y and continuing through what is now three consecutive core title releases. That's how they're officially labeled, listed and marketed. There's never been any disconnect in that regard

I would think that after over 15 years of calling each of their games a version, combined with the fact that the games are still alternate versions of the same game would mean that title is still implied, but whatever, this isn't really worth debating.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

I thought it WAS a reference to the biblical "Alpha and Omega," as that's by far the most well known use of the phrase. Do you mean the secular use of the phrase to refer to "the beginning and the end" of something?

BCVM22

That is what I getting at, yes, that the words tacked on to the remake titles are idiomatic references as opposed to direct references, which is why it's incredibly silly to say "we can't have a Pokémon Stars because the sun is already a star."

Status
Not open for further replies.