• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't you just not do Amie, then?

Not to mention the amount of time you would have to spend playing Amie to get these "game breaking buffs".

Because its adorable :v

But yeah, I never use amie on runs where I'm actually concerned with the buffs anyway, its just that I don't want it tied in with potential 'Synchro' evolution because I'd feel like I'm missing out on an inevitably emphasised feature of the game because it's locked behind something I personally don't like because it takes away some challenge, but its not like its some major turn off which would make me boycott the game/feature/whatever.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Because its adorable :v

But yeah, I never use amie on runs where I'm actually concerned with the buffs anyway, its just that I don't want it tied in with potential 'Synchro' evolution because I'd feel like I'm missing out on an inevitably emphasised feature of the game because it's locked behind something I personally don't like because it takes away some challenge, but its not like its some major turn off which would make me boycott the game/feature/whatever.
In all fairness, it takes practically forever to get those buffs in Amie, unless you repeatedly feed your Pokemon Pokepuffs.

In all fairness, it takes practically forever to get those buffs in Amie, unless you repeatedly feed your Pokemon Pokepuffs.

Fair point, but I'm also terrible for doing the 'Header' game for fun so Pokepuffs are never really a shortage for me 'v';

But since the buffs take ages to achieve and all that, it was more of a minor gripe. Even if it'd just be 2 hearts like Sylveon then I wouldn't really mind, because that'd just lead to a small EXP nudge.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
i sure hope they don't pull a milotic on us again with sylveon. Or, if unbelievably the next nintendo portable console doesn't have a gyroscope they'll do the same for malamar. They have been good with this so far, only changing 1 evolution method in the whole series (to the worst possible, another god damm trade evolution) and i sure hope they plan to keep amie in the future (and the gyroscope too :p).

In terms of new pokemon, what i'm most hopeful to see is unused type combos. dragon/bug, dragon/rock, steel/poison, fire/poison and electric/poison in particular but also using the abilities to create some nasty combos like sap sipper water/ground or levitate steel/poison. Other fun combos to try would be normal/ghost with justified, water/flying with lightning rod or steel/bug with heatproof. you know, fair and balanced :).

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
The whole "turn limit or you instantly lose" if Synchro-evolution ends up being a thing could potentially be very annoying given there are two annoying hax-based ways to stall turns in-game, evasion boosting/accuracy reducing moves or moves that inflicts confusion. Losing instantly just because you can't hit a foe can easily annoy a player in the long run and I don't think anyone wants that (the infamous Walrein from the Battle Maison does not count).

Still think Ash-Greninja or similar concepts will remain anime-exclusive especially if it means trainer customization will not be in these games because of it.

knightwolf09

The whole "turn limit or you instantly lose" if Synchro-evolution ends up being a thing could potentially be very annoying given there are two annoying hax-based ways to stall turns in-game, evasion boosting/accuracy reducing moves or moves that inflicts confusion. Losing instantly just because you can't hit a foe can easily annoy a player in the long run and I don't think anyone wants that (the infamous Walrein from the Battle Maison does not count).

Still think Ash-Greninja or similar concepts will remain anime-exclusive especially if it means trainer customization will not be in these games because of it.

You could always just save it for last, or not use it at all. There are options. Also, do people keep getting the idea that customization won't happen because of this? How hard do they think this is?

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy

Another way to get around the loss would be to simply switch out the Pokémon. It may force a de-synching but that could also highlight its flaws compared to Mega Evolution if they go that route. You get temporary power, possibly even greater than Mega Evolution, but it is temporary, and if, or when, it runs out in battle, you're doomed.

LePetitMeow

But most of those were for movies, non-canon plot purposes, and the meteor in Rayquaza's body acts as it's mega stone not to mention it did it when it was near that gigantic keystone thing.

I mentioned this theory a lot of times. If the player exceeds the maximum amount of turns it's in battle, both pokemon and trainer will white out, making it an instant loss. That's how I imagine it would work.

Like you say those Pokemon's forms were for movie purposes and non-plot purposes, there's not rule stating Zygarde's forms and Ash-Greninja can't be treated in the same manner, as something purely to move along plot and the anime. If the anime were such an advertisement, then every little aspect of the anime would be included in the games, yet they weren't. The Tripokalon is still a strong example of this; it was a major plot point for Serena (the character, mind you, based on the in-game counterpart), and we never saw it in the games. It can exist in the anime without existing in the main series games. Side-games can allow this, and as someone pointed out, those forms help boost sales of those side games.

You could always just save it for last, or not use it at all. There are options. Also, do people keep getting the idea that customization won't happen because of this? How hard do they think this is?

Yes, there are options to this, but as mentioned, hardly a handful of people will want to even BOTHER with that Pokemon mechanic if it means an instant loss in some way. I know I personally would never touch it if that were the case.
Customization being included in the games, especially to the extent of XY or even further, would cause the developers to have to model and color more than a dozen forms for each of the Pokemon given this "synchro" mechanic.

EXAMPLE: Greninja.

You are a male player. The mechanic uses hair color and shirt/top color. The male character is given four hair colors, plus over 1 dozen shirt colors/patterns. This means almost 50 combinations of colors/patterns used on Greninja alone to "synchro" with the character's customized look. Imagine getting more customization options (in this case, two more hair colors and 4 more shirt patterns/colors), that takes you to almost 100 combinations for ONE POKEMON ALONE. And that's keeping it simple on just hair color and shirt color (as you pointed out would be the choice "traits" that Pokemon would get.

That is not logical at all. Not for the developers. Imagine the three starters from Kalos getting it, plus the ones from this new gen, plus a handful of other gens and so on. How many thousand combinations will they have to make? How many thousnads of different models will they have to spend months making JUST for one mechanic of the game that many won't use because, as you suggest, it will cause instant losses?

Mega Evolution as being the special form of Ash-Greninja is sounding more and more like a valid idea, and one that makes sense based on Rayquaza alone. Max-friendship being the key to this form of Mega Evolution could make it stand out. Or just giving them mega stones because in the anime, all kinds of evolution rules are broken, so this could be one of those cases.

Erron Black

The Outlaw

Do you understand how hard it could be to create a design that'd work for any and all appearances on a customized trainer that would make sense?

I think this Synchro Evolution theory is absolute nonsense. It can simply be another form, besides that, how would we get Ash-Greninja in the games if it was solely based on a specific person with the Pokemon? It wouldn't make sense that our bond with a Greninja would turn it into Ash-Greninja, because our character is not Ash.

I'm just hoping GameFreak never adds this in. It won't be anywhere near as successful as Mega Evolution is, it'll just be a giant hit and miss.

LePetitMeow

I think Mega Evolution is going to continue to be an aspect of these games, since it's affected so many Pokemon thus far. They'll continually add in a dozen or so new Mega Evolutions until they get tired of it and move on, thus leading to it being treated the way all special forms have been after their introduction.

knightwolf09

You know what, I'm done. I can't keep doing this forever. We'll just have to wait and see. Be as close-minded as you want.

LePetitMeow

You know what, I'm done. I can't keep doing this forever. We'll just have to wait and see. Be as close-minded as you want.

It's not good to give up, but it's just a matter of us thinking along the lines of what Pokemon has done with their games for six generations now. Limiting the number of turns a Pokemon can be in battle in a certain form is not new, but mandating that it results in an automatic loss has never been a good game plan. MAYBE, and I say this with sincerity, it COULD work IF said Pokemon faints from exhaustion/loses HP each turn it remains in that form. THAT is a logical way to think about a special form of Mega Evolution like Greninja's form. THAT would be something people would want to challenge themselves with, and would be fun to test true battle skills, and doesn't result in whiting out or losing the whole battle after three turns (unless the opponent kicks your bum).

Basing this form on the main player's look just doesn't add up unless customization goes away. If we have no customization, then fine, it can work. If customization DOES remain in these games, then it's highly unlikely a "synchro" is the mechanic. That's all we're SPECULATING on. Debating on it can help make for conversation and predictions. Who knows, you could come out on top and Synchro being a mechanic fully customize-able based on looks and customization will remain AND the trainer loses after so many turns of having that form out in battle.

WE DON'T KNOW. Again, it's speculative debate.

clbgolden12

Why do people keep saying that customization would prevent Synchros?

Do you think they actually made the 9 billion+ different Spinda designs? Or all the combination possibilities for character customization?

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Out of curiosity, why do you guys want the Synchros mechanic to begin with?

clbgolden12

Cuz it'd be rad. :3

For real, though, I just think it'd be a nice addition, and very silly to be exclusive to the anime. I wouldn't really mind if it were just a Mega without a stone or Greninja/starter exclusive, though.

Last edited:

LePetitMeow

Because it's out of the box and cuz Greninja. The Ash-Greninja naming has thrown them for a loop because if it's in the anime, it obviously HAS to be in the main games. Same with Zygarde's forms (I'm still not sure how the Cell/Core/Dog percentages thing would even work in-game either).

I think Synchro would be ridiculous to add because that's REALLY entering Digimon territory (Tamers/Frontier). I'm really on the bandwagon that says "Ash-Greninja" is a placeholder name for Mega Greninja, and the other two Kalos starters will get forms as well in Sun/Moon. There will probably be mega stones, and the "Burst" stones on the logos may end up just being special stones similar to the Red/Blue Orbs in ORAS for the mascot legends.

knightwolf09

It's not good to give up, but it's just a matter of us thinking along the lines of what Pokemon has done with their games for six generations now. Limiting the number of turns a Pokemon can be in battle in a certain form is not new, but mandating that it results in an automatic loss has never been a good game plan. MAYBE, and I say this with sincerity, it COULD work IF said Pokemon faints from exhaustion/loses HP each turn it remains in that form. THAT is a logical way to think about a special form of Mega Evolution like Greninja's form. THAT would be something people would want to challenge themselves with, and would be fun to test true battle skills, and doesn't result in whiting out or losing the whole battle after three turns (unless the opponent kicks your bum).

Basing this form on the main player's look just doesn't add up unless customization goes away. If we have no customization, then fine, it can work. If customization DOES remain in these games, then it's highly unlikely a "synchro" is the mechanic. That's all we're SPECULATING on. Debating on it can help make for conversation and predictions. Who knows, you could come out on top and Synchro being a mechanic fully customize-able based on looks and customization will remain AND the trainer loses after so many turns of having that form out in battle.

WE DON'T KNOW. Again, it's speculative debate.

Well there is another option besides instant loss. The reason Ash passes out is because he hasn't mastered the form. So for all we know, when he does master it, Greninja could just turn back to normal after a short time. The same could work here, you'll just have to choose when to use it wisely.

Because it's out of the box and cuz Greninja. The Ash-Greninja naming has thrown them for a loop because if it's in the anime, it obviously HAS to be in the main games. Same with Zygarde's forms (I'm still not sure how the Cell/Core/Dog percentages thing would even work in-game either).

I think Synchro would be ridiculous to add because that's REALLY entering Digimon territory (Tamers/Frontier). I'm really on the bandwagon that says "Ash-Greninja" is a placeholder name for Mega Greninja, and the other two Kalos starters will get forms as well in Sun/Moon. There will probably be mega stones, and the "Burst" stones on the logos may end up just being special stones similar to the Red/Blue Orbs in ORAS for the mascot legends.

Still sticking to my guns that stones aren't involved. Cause in the movies anything could happen and the have to market the megas somehow. So the anime itself, the canon part, don't break the rules like that. Also as a digimon fan, the only thing Sychro has in common with Tamers is that they shared each others pain. The digimon didn't take on the tamers appearance nor did the tamers mirror the digimon's exact movements. Also in Frontier the humans physically became digimon, not synchronize with them.

Last edited:

LePetitMeow

Well there is another option besides instant loss. The reason Ash passes out is because he hasn't mastered the form. So for all we know, when he does master it, Greninja could just turn back to normal after a short time. The same could work here, you'll just have to choose when to use it wisely.

Ah that's true. So if this were the way these new (I'm just going to call them a new from of Mega Evolutions) Mega Evolutions worked, then the form would be like other in-battle forms that only last a certain period of time? I think it'd be a neat idea to include recoil damage until Max-Friendship is reached or something similar.

Tuoko

I don't really want it myself (and I don't really expect it to be related to customization either), but I wouldn't be surprised if they did introduce it as another type of evolution. OR/AS did bring up the idea of more types of Mega Evolutions being lost in time besides Primal Reversion, so it's not a stretch for Synchro Evolution to one of those. Then again... The anime introduced it as one.

Though I'm legitimately curious why people keep ignoring that Hero-Greninja has a red middle spike like Ash-Greninja does. Majority jumped onto the customization bandwagon and I've only seen like one or two people point it out after the episode aired. Sure, it's not much, but people shouldn't act like it's confirmed Ash-Greninja is involved with the design of the trainer.

EDIT: Also regarding the Kalos starters' upgrades (Ash-Greninja and probably w/e Delphox and Chesnaught)... I'm curious how they'll gift us the Kalos starters in SM. Perhaps in the post-game?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.