• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DotKU

Champion
All of the previous third versions greatly enhanced the games and maybe GameFreak felt that Pokémon Z wasn't much of an improvement compared to, for example, Platinum or Emerald? I feel that Pokémon is at the point where it really doesn't need a "third" version to improve on the game. Also, BW2 aren't really third versions so Gen 5 technically doesn't have one.

As long as we don't have another release like Diamond/Pearl, there is not really a need for a third version. It's almost like a retelling with minor differences.

Well the main problem with XY were the loose ends, which actually made perfect sense for a third version.

Innocentmercy

Very excited for this game to come out :D Totally going to choose Pokemon Moon :3

Squirtlesurfer

I think it would be completely absurd... 20 year of pokemon. They are going to COMBINE all generations in one in my opinion somehow and for that they have to celebrate the existance of every single pokemon. They stated: "all comes together" !!!! ^_^

Can we please talk about this possibility? This was exactly my reaction as well, and it totally makes sense with the 20th anniversary and the video they showed leading up to it. It could be the whole world of Pokemon?

HoennMaster

You can be hopefully, but an all region game is a fairy tale. There are so many ways that it wouldn't even make sense.

As long as we don't have another release like Diamond/Pearl, there is not really a need for a third version. It's almost like a retelling with minor differences.

XY could have totally used a third version or a sequel. Post game was bad.

- I refuse to call it S&M. I will call it SM instead

View attachment 15303

Considering how surprised we were to see the DNA helix in the Mewtwo Mega evo sequence and afterwards in the Japanese logos

This intrigues me.

So the diamond shaped gems will probably play an integral part in the games too.

Not to mention the Pokeball comet.

I think I prefer the Japanese branding to the English branding. They remind me a lot of shards.

Considering the specific colouring of the stones/crystals, and how they seem to compliment the colours of the Sun orange/red and Moon violet/blue, I feel like these may have something to do with the new legendary Pokemon.

On another note, perhaps we'll have a newsflash of the XY/ORAS endgames, similar to how DP started with a newsflash about the Red Gyrados from GSC.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Here's an interesting trivia:

In Alchemy, the Sun represents Gold. While the Moon represents Silver.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm not gonna lie; I think I would prefer it if Solrock and Lunatone were the mascots for Sun and Moon.

Yeah, the mascots are usually new legendaries, but I think it would be even better if we didn't have them on the cover, allowing more of a treat when we see them in game. These titles really do scream Solrock and Lunatone (not to mention we just had a Gen 3 remake that bore a connection to the current gen whose contents have not yet been fulfilled). Besides, those who may not know much about Pokémon could get a nice look at pokes from past and current generations.

water trainer

Knuckle Trainer
I'm not gonna lie; I think I would prefer it if Solrock and Lunatone were the mascots for Sun and Moon.

Yeah, the mascots are usually new legendaries, but I think it would be even better if we didn't have them on the cover, allowing more of a treat when we see them in game. These titles really do scream Solrock and Lunatone (not to mention we just had a Gen 3 remake that bore a connection to the current gen whose contents have not yet been fulfilled). Besides, those who may not know much about Pokémon could get a nice look at pokes from past and current generations.

Why in the world would they put Solrock and Lunatone as cover Pokemon? They're old, common Pokemon with no relevance other than being based on the sun and moon...Espeon and Umbreon are called the Sunlight and Moonlight Pokemon as well...

They will never use old generation Pokemon as a new generations cover mascots, that's just absurd lol

The above guy makes a good point, and I doubt it would happen. However, it's the 20th Anniversary, so they could definitely try to mix things up, and I think it would be great to not have them as a key part of the box art. Just the logo on a black background.

Here's an interesting trivia:

In Alchemy, the Sun represents Gold. While the Moon represents Silver.

Nice piece of trivia. I hope they deviate from such in this case, as I'd say that's where they got some inspiration for Ho-Oh and Lugia.

Grey Wind

Just re: the diamonds in the Japanese logo, someone pointed out that they look really similar to the gems from that Burst manga where you combine with your Pokemon:

[img200]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/17/Three_General_Burst_Hearts.png[/img200]

I'd normally throw it away as a coincidence, but since Ash Greninja is a thing... any chance that they're related? Like I doubt they're straight up taking elements from a random manga, but they do look quite similar and I can't imagine Ash Greninja will end up completely restricted to the anime.

Last edited:

Pilpulp

美的
Just re: the diamonds in the Japanese logo, someone pointed out that they look really similar to the gems from the Burst manga where you combine with your Pokemon:

[img200]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/17/Three_General_Burst_Hearts.png[/img200]

I'd normally throw it away as a coincidence, but since Ash Greninja is a thing... any chance they're related?

Please no....

I really, really hope this doesn't get implemented. I thought they wanted to go back to simplicity?

Good find though.

Andrew Shard

Shards of Fury...
Hi everyone! Happy 20th Anniversary to all ^^

Anyways, I was thinking about what they said in "coming back to simplicity" and I feel happy and nervous at the same time... I mean, I fear that they don't introduce any "completely new" features. They already took trainer customization, PWT and other really nice features I loved. I just want a pokemon game that when I finish the league I can still to something besides catching and training. And I'm not talking about miniature story arks like the Looker one and the Delta episode (which I hated...).
They could make the game much larger besides the league. If they could merge the Zygarde ark with the game and make a new adventure AFTER the main league... Well, that would be just awesome!!!
PS: bring back trainer customization... begging here

Allelujah

I'd like them to expand the battling visuals. This gen was already a huge improvement, the pokemon actually do their own moves. Now the physical attacks should actually connect like in Stadium and make missing/dodging look a bit more amusing. It would lessen the pain of the fail.

Just re: the diamonds in the Japanese logo, someone pointed out that they look really similar to the gems from that Burst manga where you combine with your Pokemon:

I'd normally throw it away as a coincidence, but since Ash Greninja is a thing... any chance that they're related? Like I doubt they're straight up taking elements from a random manga, but they do look quite similar and I can't imagine Ash Greninja will end up completely restricted to the anime.

I've seen that too, however, I think the diamond-like structures would have more to do with the legendary Pokémon than it would us merging with our Pokémon. To my recollection, the manga is based on the games more than the games being based on the manga.

Maxim

Beyond repair
I see that my post has met with some bitter reaction...

So, to clear up - I didn't mean to be negative about the new games. The only thing that I'm really mad about is how Gen VI was cut short and treated like an unwanted child. I think that the decision to release a new gen now is a bad one (but this is just me - someone may feel otherwise. It probably has to do with the fact that I'm an old-timer... Back in the day, new gen announcements would not pop up unexpectedly - they appeared as we were fed up with current gen, had six-ish new Pokemon revealed and were all impatiently awaiting the new era...) and I fail to see any connections between S/M and the 20th anniversary (though this is actually yet to be seen, as we get more details from the games. But judging from the fact that S/M is to be released in December, by which all the Anniversary celebration will likely be over and done, I doubt that these games will be connected to the anniversary in any way). But that doesn't cross out the new games from the possibility of being good. What is more, I do think that the seventh gen will do some things right (just like XY did a few things right, despite its overall mediocrity). I'm just not joining the hype train, as I don't want to be disappointed. But if the games turn out to be good, I'll definitely appreciate this.

Even the fact that there will likely be little technological progress (because, as I said, 3DS technology simply doesn't allow for much more than XY gave us) doesn't really cross out the new gen from being good. Just like the Gen V wasn't that much of a technological step forward from Gen IV, yet it had one of the best stories in the history of Pokemon games. Even though I still think that Gen V Pokemon are horrible, I'm rather satisfied with that generation as a whole. Maybe the history will repeat itself once again?

Also, there's one prediction that I forgot to make before:

I think that there won't be much progress in the design of Battles. I think they will look pretty much the same as they did in Gen VI. The new bird Pokemon model that we saw in Direct implies that the style of Pokemon models looks pretty much the same as before, so I think they'll just reuse Gen VI models for old Pokemon. What they can do, however, is to improve the animation of Pokemon models. Furthermore, there may be some aesthetical changes, such as better backgrounds (that better correspond with the overworld) and possibly Trainers appearing on the battlefield.

As for the types of Battles, I think that Sky Battles are going to the trashcan (they're pretty much already killed by ORAS), Rotation and Triple Battles stay but are pretty much unused (like in Gen VI), probably the same will apply to Inverse Battles (if Inver returns once again, then he should get his own artwork/model now, after getting his own Trainer Class in ORAS).

Last edited:

So, to clear up - I didn't mean to be negative about the new games. The only thing that I'm really mad about is how Gen VI was cut short and treated like an unwanted child. I think that the decision to release a new gen now is a bad one (but this is just me - someone may feel otherwise. It probably has to do with the fact that I'm an old-timer... Back in the day, new gen announcements would not pop up unexpectedly - they appeared as we were fed up with current gen, had six-ish new Pokemon revealed and were all impatiently awaiting the new era...) and I fail to see any connections between S/M and the 20th anniversary (though this is actually yet to be seen, as we get more details from the games. But judging from the fact that S/M is to be released in December, by which all the Anniversary celebration will likely be over and done, I doubt that these games will be connected to the anniversary in any way). But that doesn't cross out the new games from being good. What is more, I do think that the seventh gen will do some things right (just like XY did a few things right, despite its overall mediocrity). I'm just not joining the hype train, as I don't want to be disappointed. If the games turn out to be good, I'll definitely appreciate this.

Even the fact that there will likely be little technological progress (because, as I said, 3DS technology simply doesn't allow for much more than XY gave us) doesn't really cross out the new gen from being good. Just like the Gen V wasn't that much of a technological step forward from Gen IV, yet it had one of the best stories in the history of Pokemon games. Even though I still think that Gen V Pokemon are horrible, I'm rather satisfied with that generation. Maybe the history will repeat itself once again?

Also, there's one prediction that I forgot to make before:

I think that there won't be much progress in the design of Battles. I think they will look pretty much the same as they did in Gen VI. The new bird Pokemon model that we saw in Direct implies that the style of Pokemon models looks pretty much the same as before, so I think they'll just reuse Gen VI models for old Pokemon. What they can do, however, is to improve the animation of Pokemon models. Furthermore, there may be some aesthetical changes, such as better backgrounds (that better correspond with the overworld) and possibly Trainers appearing on the battlefield.

As for the types of Battles, I think that Sky Battles are going to the trashcan (they're pretty much already killed by ORAS), Rotation and Triple Battles stay but are pretty much unused (like in Gen VI), probably the same will apply to Inverse Battles (if Inver returns once again, then he should get his own artwork/model now, after getting his own Trainer Class in ORAS).

I like to compare it to the situation with Gen IV/V. IV was the first foray for Pokémon main series games into the DS market, but V was very clearly a great refinement of this.

Here, I like to think they've been working on these games at the very least since the release of XY (two development teams). If we get a great story (I admit, they'll probably find a way to incorporate Zygarde somehow - hopefully in a post-game visit to Kalos) with great visuals and great Pokémon, then it's a win across the board and we can forget about Gen VI being "short".

After some time thinking about RBY VC being transferable to only Sun and Moon, and after playing some of Blue, I'm starting to think that they may simplify the meta so that it is much more accessible to the rest of the community...

I think it would be completely absurd... 20 year of pokemon. They are going to COMBINE all generations in one in my opinion somehow and for that they have to celebrate the existance of every single pokemon. They stated: "all comes together" !!!! ^_^

Can we please talk about this possibility? This was exactly my reaction as well, and it totally makes sense with the 20th anniversary and the video they showed leading up to it. It could be the whole world of Pokemon?

Assuming you mean a "all regions in one game" kind of thing, you do realize how extremely (and I mean extremely) laggy the games could potentially be because of this right?
The same thing could potentially happen if the "walking Pokemon" feature came back.

I can't see any model of the 3DS being able to handle this kind of thing.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。

So, to clear up - I didn't mean to be negative about the new games. The only thing that I'm really mad about is how Gen VI was cut short and treated like an unwanted child. I think that the decision to release a new gen now is a bad one (but this is just me - someone may feel otherwise. It probably has to do with the fact that I'm an old-timer... Back in the day, new gen announcements would not pop up unexpectedly - they appeared as we were fed up with current gen, had six-ish new Pokemon revealed and were all impatiently awaiting the new era...) and I fail to see any connections between S/M and the 20th anniversary (though this is actually yet to be seen, as we get more details from the games. But judging from the fact that S/M is to be released in December, by which all the Anniversary celebration will likely be over and done, I doubt that these games will be connected to the anniversary in any way). But that doesn't cross out the new games from the possibility of being good. What is more, I do think that the seventh gen will do some things right (just like XY did a few things right, despite its overall mediocrity). I'm just not joining the hype train, as I don't want to be disappointed. But if the games turn out to be good, I'll definitely appreciate this.

Most of the people are suffering from the same syndrome. However, it is not related to the fact the new generations of games are being announced unexpectedly. More of the fact that the game demands an additional game, be it third version be it sequel, to cover the incompleteness. It is fair to mention that GameFreak/Nintendo majorly failed with the distribution of games, which is the man factor why it has been three years that the generation was announced, but still we are in need of an additional game to hold a light to questions that are yet to be answered in X/Y. As Wulawa stated in one of posts, by the time that Generation 6 ends in Holiday 2016, its existence already exceeds the previous generation, passing by two months.

One of the users, Fennekin1 as far as I'm aware, mentioned one thing absolutely correct. GameFreak, first and foremost, is a company. They are pretty much aware that the third installements of games are apparently selling less than the original games, in which it results both firms, Nintendo as well, to lose money due to poor marketing. Could it be fixed? Yes. But, as long as their marketing management would continue like this, the companies won't make any profit. Hence, in my opinion, are the new generation games that are coming in the exact right time, with regular timing, though unexpected as the current generation still lacks and incomplete.

Even the fact that there will likely be little technological progress (because, as I said, 3DS technology simply doesn't allow for much more than XY gave us) doesn't really cross out the new gen from being good. Just like the Gen V wasn't that much of a technological step forward from Gen IV, yet it had one of the best stories in the history of Pokemon games. Even though I still think that Gen V Pokemon are horrible, I'm rather satisfied with that generation as a whole. Maybe the history will repeat itself once again?

A statement regarding an improvement wouldn't satisfy the gamers due to the new generation of games are being released on the same handheld system is false. The improvement from Generation IV to V, to my opinion, is undeniable in terms of the graphics. The movement, angles, Pokémon, overworld, first attempt of 3D compared to the previous generation, is huge. I disliked the Pokémon of V, yes. But, I would be completely lying if I state both generations were similar in the same system, no. They have used DS to its final limits to bring out the best the system could offer.

The same argument applies for Generation VI and possibly , VII in S/M. X/Y and OR/AS are the first pair of games we have ever gotten in 3DS. As both fell under the same gen. and used the same engine. We don't have any information about X/Y have ultimately forced 3DS to its maximum limits, therefore we shouldn't be expecting more form the upcoming games. I wouldn't even complain, if they use the X/Y engine at all even, as I find it absolutely beautiful, but I personally believe your statement is incorrect.

noakai

Please no....

I really, really hope this doesn't get implemented. I thought they wanted to go back to simplicity?

Good find though.

Someone on the NeoGaf threads also linked this where someone is talking about "a device that lets you become a Pokemon." It's probably nothing but I try not to say "it would never happen" anymore since they've surprised me (in both good and bad ways) with the last few releases. I don't really want this in the games though.

The only thing I really, really though is some way to access dog Zygarde. I can live with no Z if I end up like Sun and Moon a lot, but I would be pretty disappointed if dog Zygarde remained anime-only cause I thought that was really cool.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Someone on the NeoGaf threads also linked this where someone is talking about "a device that lets you become a Pokemon." It's probably nothing but I try not to say "it would never happen" anymore since they've surprised me (in both good and bad ways) with the last few releases. I don't really want this in the games though.

The only thing I really, really though is some way to access dog Zygarde. I can live with no Z if I end up like Sun and Moon a lot, but I would be pretty disappointed if dog Zygarde remained anime-only cause I thought that was really cool.

That's probably just a reference to Bill's Machine which transformed him into a Pokemon when his teleporter experiment failed.
XY is full of Gen 1 references.

Status
Not open for further replies.