• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another possible alternative is that certain HMs can do multiple things (Ex. Surf can also be used as Dive, Flyand Waterfall)

wuuuuuut

To be honest, I like how HMs work. Before I get mobbed, I'm more talking about the optional usage aspect, like how Gens V and VI handle it. Rather than just blasting through the whole game with one team, it inspires you to return to an area because you don't have an accessible HM user on hand, and may even get you to use that HM Pokemon a bit to expand your horizons.

Also, Strength, Fly, Waterfall and Surf, the most consistent HMs, are all decent, wide distributed moves. I think they should reduce the others to TMs like Rock Smash and Flash. I mean Cut especially, it's pretty much just Rock Smash for trees nowadays.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
I am perfectly fine with the HMs if they are good in battle. even rock smash is fine, it lowers the opponent's defense so increase the chance of the secondary effect and it's perfectly fine. Cut is the worst offender though. something that would make it better would be 1 or 2 secondary effects, like poison fang. maybe high crit chance + flintching or something. But above all that the worst is not being able to forget the moves. All TMs are infinite and without that restriction you could just teach the HM, use it and then switch it out again.

The thing i do hate is how some gens had no use for the HMs at all. HGSS with rock smash and gen 5 with cut are some that come to mind.

what i want the most of S&M is more pokemon. gen 6, despite some great pokes has so few of them you can't have the gym leaders with a gen VI only team. ramos's lack of pumpkaboo or phantump is stupid but the lack of variety in types and the low numbers makes you fight a lot of repeats.

Vincentium

Beyond Evolution
I'm fine with HMs. It's either I distribute them evenly across my team or I basically just get an HM slave. This helps me restrict my team options into Pokemon that I would never use, and that is something that I honestly like to make things a bit different every time a play a newer generation or something.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
wuuuuuut

To be honest, I like how HMs work. Before I get mobbed, I'm more talking about the optional usage aspect, like how Gens V and VI handle it. Rather than just blasting through the whole game with one team, it inspires you to return to an area because you don't have an accessible HM user on hand, and may even get you to use that HM Pokemon a bit to expand your horizons.

Also, Strength, Fly, Waterfall and Surf, the most consistent HMs, are all decent, wide distributed moves. I think they should reduce the others to TMs like Rock Smash and Flash. I mean Cut especially, it's pretty much just Rock Smash for trees nowadays.
Honestly, I've never liked HMs. All they do is take away a move slot for a more than likely "smeh" move. The only HMs I've really used in battle are Surf and Fly (and Strength I guess). Any others I've used are just to finish off an opponent with low HP so I don't waste PP on another move.

And, as I've mentioned before, sometimes it doesn't really make sense. Like, why do I need to teach my Charizard with sharp claws how to cut down something?

(Also, if were confused by my Fly and Waterfall thing, it's because you can just fly up the waterfall.)

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
They could also make a ball called the "steal ball" or "thief ball" or whatever, which would basically allow you to catch the pokemons of NPC's if you want to. It would be so funny and cool, to catch the Elite 4's pokemon instead of defeating them. I'd live.

Why not just play Colosseum or Gale of Darkness if that's what you want?

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
I wonder if they will introduce a new type of poke ball. One that has a higher chance of catching fire typed pokemon. That would be so cool.

They could also make a ball called the "steal ball" or "thief ball" or whatever, which would basically allow you to catch the pokemons of NPC's if you want to. It would be so funny and cool, to catch the Elite 4's pokemon instead of defeating them. I'd live.

and why don't they make you join evil team while they are at it and let you abuse Pokemon much as we want!

seriously your idea goes against EVERYTHING Pokemon stands for that I REALLY doubt it will ever happen...
Pokemon coloseum and XD is an exception since it is spin-off and guys you stole from ARE villainous team.
( if they implemented similar aspect i.e stealing only vilianius team's pokemon... I wouldn't complain... but stealing Elite Four's Pokemon is a big NO NO...)

Orphalesion

and why don't they make you join evil team while they are at it and let you abuse Pokemon much as we want!

seriously your idea goes against EVERYTHING Pokemon stands for that I REALLY doubt it will ever happen...
Pokemon coloseum and XD is an exception since it is spin-off and guys you stole from ARE villainous team.
( if they implemented similar aspect i.e stealing only vilianius team's pokemon... I wouldn't complain... but stealing Elite Four's Pokemon is a big NO NO...)

My problem with the idea of a mechanic to steal the poemon of other trainers is that people forget that there would have to be realistic consequences to behaviour like that. You'd basically be stealing people's pets. That's a crime. People generally don't like criminals, so most people you meet would either runa way the moment they see you, call the police or beat you up with their pokemon.
"Fun"
I mean I can understand the appeal of wanting to play a Team Rocket pokemon mobster sometimes, but yeah, pokemon's not the right franchise for that. I mean, what would the plot, goals and gameplay even be?

Though consider Pokemon Conquest, were you play a warlord during one of the bloodiest periods of Japan's history... they gloss everything over of course, but realistically your character in that game would have a lot of innocent blood on their hands by the end.

Still liking the idea of your rival joining the bad team though. That could really be a story that tears on your heartstrings; your best friend who fell in with bad people, now your enemy. They could even have a sort of redemption story for them in the final act/post game.

Pokemon Power

Kinda sucks that the footage they showed in Pokechi was pretty much everything we knew so far. Over 10 new ones. Obviously there will be a lot more than that. We have Magearna, the three new starters and their evolutionary families, the version mascot legends, a potential third legend that connects with the other two in some way, and at least three new Mythical Pokemon. That makes 16. If it was just that many, I'd be shocked.

sandtreamftw

On and Off Trainer
I hope they spend this gen refining the presentation. Gen 6 felt like GF was familiarizing themselves with the 3d models and graphics. Its clear most of the resources went into perfecting the in battle models of all 721 pokemon and the 48 mega form variations. ORAS showed a mark improvement in presentation, through small little touches like less desaturated colors, more fluid animations, and greater cinematic moments like the Kyogre/Groudon cinematics trumping the Yveltal/Xerneas ones. Perhaps more than anything else is what most intrigues me with Sun and Moon. Now that pokemon has successfully made the transition to 3d, that added element of better presentation makes things more interesting.

I hope they spend this gen refining the presentation. Gen 6 felt like GF was familiarizing themselves with the 3d models and graphics. Its clear most of the resources went into perfecting the in battle models of all 721 pokemon and the 48 mega form variations. ORAS showed a mark improvement in presentation, through small little touches like less desaturated colors, more fluid animations, and greater cinematic moments like the Kyogre/Groudon cinematics trumping the Yveltal/Xerneas ones. Perhaps more than anything else is what most intrigues me with Sun and Moon. Now that pokemon has successfully made the transition to 3d, that added element of better presentation makes things more interesting.

Tbh, the way Gen VI increased in quality reminds me of Gens IV and V. D/P was a great, but it was obvious the huge leap as well as all the new mechanics unsettled GameFreak, but Platinum and HGSS were marked improvements, and BW imo looked like a larger graphical leap than Gen III to Gen IV.

silver_phoenix

Fluffy Pokemon Trainer
People are really into the hyoe about Sun and Moon, but it's sad that some people don't know about Serebii.net or they believe other sources that claim fake information is true. I saw a horrible video on Youtube today. Some guy was trying to pass off a new Digimon game on PS4 as Pokemon Sun and Moon. Honestly why do people try to do stupid stuff like this. It was obvious that the game wasn't Pokemon at all, just by looking at the character designs and such.

PKMN KING

Ozymandias
People are really into the hyoe about Sun and Moon, but it's sad that some people don't know about Serebii.net or they believe other sources that claim fake information is true. I saw a horrible video on Youtube today. Some guy was trying to pass off a new Digimon game on PS4 as Pokemon Sun and Moon. Honestly why do people try to do stupid stuff like this. It was obvious that the game wasn't Pokemon at all, just by looking at the character designs and such.

That was a video by MO and it was an april fools video...i like MO.

Always check the upload date of a video, ESPECIALLY in April ^~^;

I'm wondering if Sun/Moon will get an international release, like XY? Or more akin to ORAS, with very close releases?

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Always check the upload date of a video, ESPECIALLY in April ^~^;

I'm wondering if Sun/Moon will get an international release, like XY? Or more akin to ORAS, with very close releases?
Didn't they confirm a worldwide release in the direct?

Didn't they confirm a worldwide release in the direct?

It said 'coming world wide holiday 2016', or something to that degree which just confirms the games are coming late November to late December. There could be a week in between launches and so on.

like how Europe got ORAS a week later than the rest of the world because I'm still not salty about that I swear

Niormon

I'm not Expecting any Sun and moon info in this Coro Coro, at least Not starters or Legendary, Since Nintendo never announced Pokemon Direct this month,that means their really isn't much to show,
the only thing I think they will confirm is how many Pokemon will be in Sun & Moon that it.

Coller23

Aggron Extraordinair
I'm not Expecting any Sun and moon info in this Coro Coro, at least Not starters or Legendary, Since Nintendo never announced Pokemon Direct this month,that means their really isn't much to show,
the only thing I think they will confirm is how many Pokemon will be in Sun & Moon that it.

That would make no sense at all. Considering the fact they specifically said that this coro coro would have sun and moon information in it.

Also why would they release the amount of Pokemon that are going to be in the game? They never do that and prefer to leave that a mystery until the game comes out.

supersarepi

There have only ever been three pokemon Directs (XY reveal, Mega Kanto starter/Bank reveal, and SM reveal), and we've had big news from other sources before, so the lack of an announcement of a pokemon-specific direct isn't really an argument against us getting big news next week. The lack of a Nintendo Direct announcement however is slightly fishy, but again, that's not concrete proof. I do agree with you though, this Corocoro will probably only have minor news (but will have some news, I trust them) since this is the first issue they're covering it. They might show boxarts, but I think Zygarde/Magearna/Volcanion news is more likely. Starters will probably be next month like in Gen 5.

That would make no sense at all. Considering the fact they specifically said that this coro coro would have sun and moon information in it.

Also why would they release the amount of Pokemon that are going to be in the game? They never do that and prefer to leave that a mystery until the game comes out.

It makes sense that this would have very little information, this is the first Corocoro issue to cover Sun and Moon. The first issue to cover XY revealed the names of the cover legends, the first issue to cover ORAS only had screenshots of the GetTV footage that had aired earlier that month. It is possible that they'll do the same (only show stuff from the reveal trailer), though unlikely.

As for the number of pokemon, that's a definite no, you're right. They didn't reveal the number of pokemon in Gen 4, 5 or 6, there's no reason to do so now, especially not so early in the marketing cycle.

Creyk

I have to agree. I'm afraid that they simply do not have anything to show yet, they must be in a really early stage of developing these games, as shown by the first trailer we got. If the game was anywhere close to being done, surely we would have seen more there and then.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
I have to agree. I'm afraid that they simply do not have anything to show yet, they must be in a really early stage of developing these games, as shown by the first trailer we got. If the game was anywhere close to being done, surely we would have seen more there and then.

but it is said to be realised in late November or earily December THIS YEAR! And it is less than a year away...
if all they have is just bare bone by this point... GF is extrimly lazy... they must have worked on it since last year... why else was there no pokemon game 2015?

Status
Not open for further replies.