• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

badly

i really hope they balance it a bit better if they are bringing back the gen 5 exp scaling :X

in my experience i found i spent almost no time 'stuck' in gen 6 grinding in an area just to be the same level as the next gym leader, whereas gen 5 felt like a near constant grindfest drag. gen 5 was one of my least favorite gens for that reason, despite how good the story was, i found i forgot the story faster than any other gen. gen 6 improved the flow of the game a lot and made the story aspect far more fun for me, as well as the new exp share being a godsend for evolving pokemon for the pokedex.

my fingers are crossed the exp scaling at least comes with the new exp share, i think that would be a good balance

TheEliteEmpoleon

Okay my bad, haven't been on the site for a while :|

Do people think Tapu Koko is the real name? Doesn't sound like a Pokémon to me.

Well Hala says that it is the guardian deity of Melemele (the island where your adventure starts), and when he says that the player has met it, someone in the crowd reacts in a surprised manner, so it is rare. I think the most sensible idea is that the name Tapu Koko is just what the guardian deity pokémon was called by ancient people of Alola, and so that name is used in ceremonies and traditions and by traditional people.

Grey Wind

Did people really find themselves grinding that much in Gen 5? I definitely remember finding it way easier to train compared to Gen 4 (HGSS in particular are two of the grindiest games IMO), I was never more than a couple of levels below the next Gym and catching up never took too long. I'm kind of baffled by the complaints tbh.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
Did people really find themselves grinding that much in Gen 5? I definitely remember finding it way easier to train compared to Gen 4 (HGSS in particular are two of the grindiest games IMO), I was never more than a couple of levels below the next Gym and catching up never took too long. I'm kind of baffled by the complaints tbh.

I always found that it had a good balance myself, if I absolutely needed to grind for whatever reason then I would grind Audino a couple times. But other than that I never found it an issue. But you know, opinions, yadda yadda.

Zealot

Am I the only one who's pleased with what we've gotten so far? People in other forums that I shall not name are complaining a lot (e.g., about how simple this gen's designs are compared to gen 1), like, we've only seen 10 so far??? I'm liking each of them, TBH.

Akashin

Am I the only one who's pleased with what we've gotten so far? People in other forums that I shall not name are complaining a lot (e.g., about how simple this gen's designs are compared to gen 1), like, we've only seen 10 so far??? I'm liking each of them, TBH.

Welcome to the pre-release of a new Generation of Pokemon. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Seriously though, complaints like that come around like clockwork whenever there's a new Generation of Pokemon that can conceivably be complained about. With that said, there's nothing actually wrong with somebody not liking the new Pokemon; "it looks too simple" and "it doesn't even look like a Pokemon" are just buzzwords in that sense, is all.

Zealot

Welcome to the pre-release of a new Generation of Pokemon. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Seriously though, complaints like that come around like clockwork whenever there's a new Generation of Pokemon that can conceivably be complained about. With that said, there's nothing actually wrong with somebody not liking the new Pokemon; "it looks too simple" and "it doesn't even look like a Pokemon" are just buzzwords in that sense, is all.

I understand your point. ^_^ But sometimes it can get annoying. Like, at least we're still getting some T from Pokemon.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
How come no one ever recommends turning it off and on as needed? If you find you're grinding to much, turn it on for a bit then turn it off.

Not saying people have to like the experience share more than any other Gen though. Wr all have personal taste and opinions which is what makes Pokémonso great, there are so many ways to play and no way is wrong!

But, if they keep the gen 6 experience share, just consider that it doesn't have to stay on all the time. So if you don't want to get over leveled but also don't want to grind to much this is an option for that. It may not be ideal for your play style but hopefully it helps a little!

I just read your argument with the two others in here. But if I were going to be a game designer, I honestly would remodel the Exp. Share and the way that both Gen 5 and Gen 6 designed their level up mechanics.

Steps for a Progressive Experience Share:
1. You will get the very basic and original Exp. Share after beating an early gym which would be a Gen 1 - Gen 4 mechanic of Exp Share being a Held Item where you can find 5 pieces in certain places filled with Side Quests. Like make side quests more valuable for this item.
2. You can get the Exp. Share partially Upgraded (Gen 5 variant) after getting the last badge, saving the world from impending doom plot line (remember ORAS after beating Kyogre/Groundon when foreign pokemon got included along with the national dex?), or from the start of a "Delta Episode" being given by Prof. Kukui (aka. Professor Jwittz) to be molded into one. One in the front gets half the total while the remaining half is divided into the remainig 5 members of the party.
3. Once post game comes in, the Exp Share will be fully upgraded to a Key Item similar to Gen 6.

Steps for the Level Up Mechanics:
a. During the first story, I would stick to Gen 5's level up mechanics
b. Once Post game is here, it will be reverted to the static level up exp. mechanics

Options:
1. Set a difficulty mode from the beginning of the game by asking a gamer a few questions ala Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Style:
a. "Have you played a video game before?" If "No", automatically set on Easy

b. If answered "Yes" on previous question, it asks, "Have you played a strategy turn based video game?" If "No", automatically set on Average.

c1. If answered "Yes" on previous question, it asks, "Do you want a challenge?". Should the user answer "No", the Gym leaders, Elite 4, Rival and/or friend, Evil Boss, the in Game plot Legendaries, and champion will have their ENTIRE team that are 4-8 levels higher than the highest leveled pokemon you currently have in your party. Only applicable during Pre-Post Game. Just to ease it, none of them will be EV trained and have perfect natures. Automatically gets disabled once Post Game is reached.

c2. If answered "Yes" on previous question, it asks, "Do you want a challenge?" Should the user answer "Yes", there will be a near complete stop for your pokemon to get anymore levels before the next Gym Leader's highest leveled Pokemon. Once the Champion is reached, same level lock is applied. What is the best limit? Instead of being 2 levels higher, why not make the Gym Leaders and Champion's highest leveled mon 5 levels higher than yours? Let's say that the Champion's highest leveled mon is 65. Once your mons reach level 60, they are not allowed to level up anymore. Oh, this is where all the important characters in-game, including certain NPC trainers (excluding the breeders, Rich People, and the preschoolers) have Pokemon that have fully trained EV's and perfect natures. Automatically gets disabled once Post game comes into play.

If you are wondering where I got the c2 idea, it's from a Pokemon Fan Game which I won't name. But it is told to be one of the most brutal, MLG-like, and at times unfair, Pokemon Fan-made Game.

Last edited:

FireTrainer92

The Point of Origin

Idk I never had to grind in any games featuring Johto, so when it comes to grinding I think that's just a personal thing that a lot of people take as fact for some reason. Hell unless its post game stuff or right before the E4 I tend not to Grind at all.

I think the problem with Gen 6's leveling was that the level scaling was so high in Kalos that it almost necessitated all those leveling features if you didn't want to get massively underleveled quickly. Less of a problem in ORAS because the leveling in that game didn't jump to high level until the tail end of the game.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
How am I suppose to train my entire team if the Exp Share gets reduce back to gen 5 version? Gen 6 gives us an option to train all our pokemon or just our lead party. Does it make the game easy if you have it on? Yes but that is only if you want it to be easy by keeping it on. Also the games are suppose to be made easier for players these days so why would Game Freak make training pokemon more difficult again?

Gabriel Faria

Shall we dance?
I don't know if this has been suggested, but what if Tapu Koko is Popplio? The player's starter was Popplio and if I understood correctly what was said, the main character met it not long ago and it is some cute little thing (don't remember if it was exactly this). Also, didn't someone suggest each island has a guardian? What if the starters evos are those guardians and that's why they are special?

Grey Wind

How am I suppose to train my entire team if the Exp Share gets reduce back to gen 5 version? Gen 6 gives us an option to train all our pokemon or just our lead party. Does it make the game easy if you have it on? Yes but that is only if you want it to be easy by keeping it on. Also the games are suppose to be made easier for players these days so why would Game Freak make training pokemon more difficult again?

The system for how much experience your Pokemon gets is changing, not how the Exp Share works. That's what people are talking about.

I don't know if this has been suggested, but what if Tapu Koko is Popplio? The player's starter was Popplio and if I understood correctly what was said, the main character met it not long ago and it is some cute little thing (don't remember if it was exactly this). Also, didn't someone suggest each island has a guardian? What if the starters evos are those guardians and that's why they are special?

I got the impression that the guardians were legends in a literal sense, and that seeing one would be a big deal. Really doubt it's the starters.

Last edited:

Gabriel Faria

Shall we dance?
I got the impression that the guardians were legends in a literal sense, and that seeing one would be a big deal. Really doubt it's the starters.

Oh, ok. I guess I missed that then xD

Btw, I haven't said this, but the game looks beautiful and much more fleshed than X&Y. Sure the battles look similar, but the battle interface and the overworld are gorgeous (specially the latter). Also, we've got a pretty good Route 1. Long, with some grass patches, trainers and maybe something else that I missed, probably because they didn't show every nook and cranny. About Battle Royale, it seems much funnier than triples and rotation, so I'm very excited to try it :D

goodpeople25

Yeah it has been mentioned, and it doesn't fit to me either I too just got the legendary impression. Going more in depth "our guardian" and "our island's guardian deity" seem pretty singular to me. Also the starters are shown (then one is given) to us. Hardly a sign of the curiosity that is apparently typical of it. And well people seem surprised we met it.

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
I hope we get a demo for sun and moon. It would also be neat if they had something you could transfer to the games when you get them like the oras demos =)

knightwolf09

I hope we get a demo for sun and moon. It would also be neat if they had something you could transfer to the games when you get them like the oras demos =)

Doubt we'll get another demo after what happened in ORAS.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I've said this several times before...

If GF really wants to avoid everything leaked ahead of release date, they should not release a demo and an option for digital pre-loading since everything will be datamined.

In XY's case, some retailers in Canada and Italy have broken the street date 11 days ahead of the game's release date. Their punishment? Delayed launch dates.
For ORAS, it's just a stupid case of including everything in the demo's data.

So far in SM's case, they are doing a good job. I'm sure they've learned something from these past events.

Hauke_von_Arding

They still could release a demo... just without all the stuff which they put in the ORAS demo... I mean... they are not forced to put the whole pokedex in the data of the demo. Or all the story dialogues.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I've said this several times before...

If GF really wants to avoid everything leaked ahead of release date, they should not release a demo and an option for digital pre-loading since everything will be datamined.

In XY's case, some retailers in Canada and Italy have broken the street date 11 days ahead of the game's release date. Their punishment? Delayed launch dates.
For ORAS, it's just a stupid case of including everything in the demo's data.

So far in SM's case, they are doing a good job. I'm sure they've learned something from these past events.

Yea I really hope and dont think they will have a demo like that again. I honestly dont even think pokemon needs a demo at all because....who ever is on the fence of pokemon? At this point everyone already knows for sure if they are getting sun and moon or not. Maybe have a demo like on launch day or a week after or something, but definitely not early.

Hauke_von_Arding

nother question... how do you think the effectivity scan will work with abilities? For exemple Zoroark? Will Zoroark fake the effectivity scan to the Pokemon he turn into? Otherwise it would be useless...
Or how will it work with Bronzong? Currently he is usefull because the enemy don't know if he has Levitate or Heatproof... will the effectivity scan take this into account? This would make Bronzong more useless competetively because the enemy now know which ability Bronzong has. So I hope abilities are not in the effectivity scan...

Status
Not open for further replies.