• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABC595

I'm rather confused by the latest update... So they have got rid of gym leaders and replaced them with trial leaders who make you do tasks (like orange islands?) and then battle these totem Pokemon. Then after you have beeten 'X' number of trial leaders in an island you get to fight the big kahuna who, it would seem, controls the gaurdian pokemon of the island???

Is that accurate?

So with the bracelets confirmed to be for Z-powers. Can we be sure that there'll be no mega evolutions in this? What about Ash-Greninja?

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I'm honestly happy they changed up (not outright removed, as the Island trials are similar in nature) the Gyms, the franchise did need to play around with the idea a bit and they haven't done much with them since Gen 5, so I like that they're taking this risk with them.

The Alola forms... I don't like Exeggutor's, while I get where they're going with it, it's just a very weird design (and typing, but less so). The fact that the Reddit leak confirms we're getting Water Growlithe and Fighting Abra also leaves me apprehensive on the idea since it doesn't fit well with their concepts, but we'll see.

Z Moves is cool, nothing more that I want to say on that.

I love the idea of Darwin's finches being implemented into the game, it's such a unique concept and it's great to see GF pay homage to it.

In terms of the leak specific info: Werewolf Rockruff is mine and I will get it no matter what the requirements are, and I look forward to seeing that new cat.

I'm honestly happy they changed up (not outright removed, as the Island trials are similar in nature) the Gyms, the franchise did need to play around with the idea a bit and they haven't done much with them since Gen 5, so I like that they're taking this risk with them.

The Alola forms... I don't like Exeggutor's, while I get where they're going with it, it's just a very weird design (and typing, but less so). The fact that the Reddit leak confirms we're getting Water Growlithe and Fighting Abra also leaves me apprehensive on the idea since it doesn't fit well with their concepts, but we'll see.

Z Moves is cool, nothing more that I want to say on that.

In terms of the leak specific info: Werewolf Rockruff is mine and I will get it no matter what the requirements are, and I look forward to seeing that new cat.

Just a heads up, they got Ninetales' Alola Form typing wrong, they said it gains Fairy and keeps Fire, whereas it gains Fairy and replaces Fire with Ice. So Fightbra and Waterlithe may not be real.

I am just loving everything from today, so much beautiful Pokémon ;-;

knightwolf09

Alright, so can somebody tell me the gist of the leaks concerning the starters? I cant reach them since Im at work and 4chan is banned. I cant get around it lol.

Pokemon-Sun-and-Moon-Leak-613487627

Translations of each concept

Owl3
1. Has a calm\cool persona ( Rowlet is the next Sceptile folks)
2. Tightens its hood when its upset or irritated
3. Uses its quills as arrows and vines as the string.
4. Its difficult to notice which helps it ambush foes
5, Much like Ash's Sceptile it likes to chill on Tree branches.
Tiger3.
1. Has a wild and gusty persona ( Think Might Guy from Naruto or Red Magnus from D5.
2. Fights dirty- spits ember in its opponents face, isn't above using unconventional items or means, uses Fire Spin from its belt.
4. Has a signature move called Beast\Tiger Swing???
5. That Belt gets hotter the more "passionate" it is ( I guess this is its variation of Blaze.)
Sea lion3
1. Uses its voice to charm and or lure opponents
2. Has a elegant and welcoming nature
3. Is very playful ( I wager this is GF'S way of not making it "evil" since Sirens would lure sailors to their doom just for fun)

The girl Mallow that was introduced is in the concepts for Litten's evo. If that isn't full comformation, I don't know what is.

Jadgirl04

Lilac Dungeoneer
So it looks like you can ride Mudsdale! Called it =P

Is this the end of HM Moves? After 20 years, is it really finally over?

Because I quite like this idea! Even if it could mean you are restricted to need to go to certain locations every time you want to use this new feature.

It'll probably be like Soar in ORAS, the physical moves will still exist and will be usable, but you can forgoe them in favour of the new mechanic. You probably get access to them a while after you gain the ability to use the HM's, maybe by finding the people who loan them out? They'll need to keep the actual moves in the game if transferring is a thing.

Grey Wind

I totally forgot they confirmed werewolf Rockruff. I hope they reveal it soon. :D

Oh, and the official site mentions that the new grass thing is on of the totem Pokemon. I wonder what the other two are.

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
Pokemon-Sun-and-Moon-Leak-613487627

Translations of each concept

Owl3
1. Has a calm\cool persona ( Rowlet is the next Sceptile folks)
2. Tightens its hood when its upset or irritated
3. Uses its quills as arrows and vines as the string.
4. Its difficult to notice which helps it ambush foes
5, Much like Ash's Sceptile it likes to chill on Tree branches.
Tiger3.
1. Has a wild and gusty persona ( Think Might Guy from Naruto or Red Magnus from D5.
2. Fights dirty- spits ember in its opponents face, isn't above using unconventional items or means, uses Fire Spin from its belt.
4. Has a signature move called Beast\Tiger Swing???
5. That Belt gets hotter the more "passionate" it is ( I guess this is its variation of Blaze.)
Sea lion3
1. Uses its voice to charm and or lure opponents
2. Has a elegant and welcoming nature
3. Is very playful ( I wager this is GF'S way of not making it "evil" since Sirens would lure sailors to their doom just for fun)

The girl Mallow that was introduced is in the concepts for Litten's evo. If that isn't full comformation, I don't know what is.

Can someone translate the Kanji above Mallow's head? If that is her Japanese name, then this pretty much confirms it true.

Nahiri

Selesnya Guild
I'm done. This is it Gamefreak, I have to stop. You're going to give me an aneurysm.

I don't know if this is all good news or bad news but whatever it looks like fun.

EDIT: Tierno was a hint. Trevor was a hint. THEIR ENTIRE REASON FOR EXISTING WAS TO BE A HINT FOR ORICORO AND THE NEW DEX IM DONE.

Last edited:

gliscor&yanmega

That was a lot of info, some of which I may need some time to get used to.

Looks like they want to go that extra mile in making the games more different, I'm sure people will still try and complain they aren't innovative though.

I don't even know what to make of Exeggutor, I can't help but think it went like this:
Designer 1: Ok so...variation of Pokemon, we doing it right?
Designer 2: Yah
Designer 1: Ok, so Exeggutor...but with a very larger neck...it's 33 feet, cus.
*Meanwhile*
Wailord: Oh look how tiny you are, how cute.

It's mainly the 33 feet that makes me go "wtf" but also makes me kind of laugh and hope it was done just cus.

Starters' evolution leak does seem to appear true(So I guess someone just wanted to draw Ash...cus). No more Gyms(I would assume remakes will have them still at least, and maybe next gen they'll go back since Island Trails are kind of more for...a region with islands). This will at least make things in the Anime more interesting. Z Moves explained, nothing much that wasn't expected though. Another 6 new Pokemon. Riding Pokemon does seem to replace HMs. I think that was it.

It's only the 1st and it already feels like more info than the past few months combined. I was hoping they'd try and keep things a bit more under-wraps until the games were announced too. Hopefully most of the Pokemon are still kept a secret.

The Super Kid

The Underdog :(
Alola forms: Absolutely love it, I love the idea of variation in species.
Z-Moves: Looks stupid. So do the poses. (But I guess I'd like it more if they got rid of Mega-Evolutions)
Island Trials: ... prefer gym leaders :( Honestly I hate fetch quests. I do like the Grand Trials though
New Pokemon: Meh. IMO Alola's Pokemon designs aren't bad, I just don't like them. I do see the life of the region though these Pokemon though.

Overall, the trailer was good, but they are changing the formula too much. Where are my gyms? :(

Last edited:

Seven of Arcanine

RK9 Unit Trainer
Okay, wow. I've made it no secret that I don't like mega evolutions, because it felt like instead of doing their own thing they dived into Digimon territory.

Alola forms and Z-Moves feel much, much more like how I envision Pokemon to be. I'm really glad that they kept pushing and found something like this instead of just relying on megavolutions.

For the rest of the video, the new gym system/replacement seems interesting, though it seemed like instead of fighting one gave you an MMORPG style quest (Slay 10 Icewolves)? Either way, pass the Trial Master to face the Kahuna and his Totem.

None of the new Pokemon leaped out at me, but I do like that this new pokemon riding function appears to be replacing Rock Smash, Surf and Fly. Soaring was kind of fun, so hopefully that feature remains in some way.

Andyomon00

Seer of Doom
I cannot believe they added what are essentially sub variations of pokemon. That's so cool.

To be honest, if they were going to change up how gyms worked, I'm glad they did it this way. Lets all be honest here, the grand trials are basically gym leader battles, but I love the very RPG style of getting to those fights (also they whole "making a league rumor" is now false). I love the concept of totem pokemon who act as sort of mini bosses, I hope they do some unique things with this concept.

Also it looks like I correct when was theorizing about Z-moves, in that they act as an alternative for mega evolution since they have to hold a Z-crystal to do Z-moves and could only be done once per battle. Z-moves act as a brief surge of power for a pokemon, whereas Mega evolution is sustained I think this will create some very interesting decisions in terms of competitive.

Gizmoa

(note this is a clone of the first part of my post in the new pokemon thread, more on the new pokemon and calling them in that one)
OMG, called it x a ton!
I called it, we called it! Woot! How amazing! I don't remember how much was in chat and how much on the forums, but several of us here discussed how island effects could be used in Sun and Moon and we got all of them! I mean really spot on, yay us.
We thought we would see darwin's finches/birds of paradise radial forms in some way - BAM! we got dancing cheerleader birds!

We thought/hoped they might do island subspecies break off, something like change the type of an old pokemon as a form difference (because eeveelutions are running out and now would be a good time to introduce radial elemental regional subspecies forms since they would be like new pokemon, but not bloat the dex count, and everyone likes the radial form thing)... optimally we all wanted ice ninetails as an example and laughed that it was unlikely because of it being tropical... OMG OMG we GOT ICE FORM SUBSPECIES NINETALES!

So more features beyond forms for per island (radial divergence) and for island form vs mainland form (founder effect) that were "called" by us!

Gyms may be informal, or be replaced with some equivalent - we called it, and for me this lends further juice to my theory that the motels/hotels/camp sites are the equivalent to the gyms somehow, so basically the hub of each trial is what I am thinking now. That also explains why there are more of them than their would be gyms (something that made me suspect a gym equivalent thing early on)

Trainers holding the key to a 5th move that the pokemon itself does not carry - called it again!... sort of. I don't know if the trainer picks the move ahead like I first thought it would be, or if it is simply set by whatever the first type is on the pokemon you use it with is. So basically an alternative stone to a mega stone is what I was thinking at the time so you could use one or the other, but not both... or rather that is what I hoped for/am hoping for. I also originally envisioned it as one of several move choices, some of which auto matched pokemon's type and some which were more generic, so I have no idea at this point that will be true and Z attacks are just one of several (the damaging type... special from the looks of them). Edit: looking at the website makes me think this works a bit differently and is just a boost to a preexisting move, but does the same thing in tying up the hold items and mega slots potentially. The peripheral is an interesting touch provided it doesn't look too stupid when worn.

Some sort of generic powered up/energised form for all non-specific mega pokemon... someone else suggested this and it looks like we will at least get something along those lines with trial opponents, though their role beyond that remains unknown.

I also suggested that we would eventually fight our Rotom Dex as though it were a trainer and that it might be the regional champion, and since it now looks like this game will have wild pokemon bosses, I am going to go ahead and repeat that prediction!

I am very happy to see all these features come true.

(Also, it looks like the new meteor pokemon may keep its type hidden until it splits open and changes to it, which is a fun and interesting idea)

Last edited:

Bus

Class Zero

We have arrived.
This is kinda nitpicky... but Sandshrew and Sandslash shouldn't be called that in their Alola form right? I mean.. they're no longer Sandshrew and Sandslash.. It's less of a form change and more of a species that evolved/mutated/adapted into something different..?

Status
Not open for further replies.