• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyomon00

Seer of Doom
With the same logic, couldn't you also argue that the reason they showed a Butterfree that wasn't its Alola variant was because they didn't want to spoil the Alola variants?

No, you really couldn't. A lot of pokemon from different generations appeared in trailers for sun and moon, but those specific pokemon were never shown in anything for the game up till this point. Butterfree shows up in the trailer looking the exact same as it did in all previous gens, but the regional variants have only in their region specific form.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
The trading cards touched upon the new forms some time ago with the concept of Holon region, pokemon with different types than normal. Quite interesting that its been brought to the main series now.

It was there by HGSS, though not as much (though I think it was more just wanting a break, remember that at that point Kanto was in all four generations due to the remakes), I honestly think Gen VI exacerbated the issue. While it was understandable for Kanto to get love in the games it appeared in through 1-4, it made sense since it had a presence through its region in its own games, the sequel, and the remakes, Gen 6 had it get a lot of attention to the point that it seemed more like it was in the spotlight rather then Gen VI itself. So it getting amazing treatment in those games felt out of place and a bit forced since it was blatantly appealing to nostalgia rather then trying to balance it with the newer elements. Due to that, it's made people a bit irritated when it continues to get preferential treatment like that, Gen VI was too heavy handed with its nostalgia pandering and it put off a good chunk of fans, so a lot of them just want a more balanced experience for future games rather then shoving Gen 1 in their face again.

Plus, these games are supposed to be a celebration of the entire franchise, not just Gen 1. It's a notable part of the franchise's history and should be given love, but that doesn't necessarily mean it should be given all of the love. There are still 5 other generations that could use attention, so why not give them that attention and love alongside 1 and 7 rather then just overfocus on 1 yet again.

Oh yeah, I absolutely agree! I'd much rather have them spread the focus across all of the generations and celebrate everything as a whole, rather than in a chunked form. Though, considering that 70% of what we've had up to this point is just the reveal of new Pokémon and completely unexpected forms (because, let's be honest, nobody believed those "leaks" a month ago), I feel that probably contributes even more so. The focus is the new Pokémon and new forms up to this point, and when Gen I are getting dragged back in again...yeah.

I'm not at all disagreeing with anything you're saying - to the contrary, I agree with everything - but perhaps my opinion that it was obvious that they'd choose to focus on Gen I screams the best and worst part of the franchise: it is almost entirely nostalgia-based. Granted, when you pick up a new game it feels completely new at the off, it also feels very familiar (a trait they seem determined to at least weaken with these upcoming games).

utlhmsus

I love everything about this trailer (including Exeggutor, even though the dragon type makes no sense). I'm really hoping the Alola forms will have their own shinies. Question, are we able to catch the Totem Pokemon or can we only battle against them?

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I love everything about this trailer (including Exeggutor, even though the dragon type makes no sense). I'm really hoping the Alola forms will have their own shinies. Question, are we able to catch the Totem Pokemon or can we only battle against them?
I think you can only battle them, not catch them.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
It seems like the island trials are likely to replace gyms which is slightly disappointing but I would give the trials a go. I think we will see more Alola variant pokemon later on.

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
It seems like the island trials are likely to replace gyms which is slightly disappointing but I would give the trials a go. I think we will see more Alola variant pokemon later on.

That's why it sounds like the orange islands to me. Those types of things were there instead of normal gyms. I don really mind to much. It's nice that they are trying something different =)

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
There's also the leak that's been put right at the bottom of the hoax section of the confirmed info and known hoaxes thread (I'd link the image myself but the forum won't let me post any links whatsoever :( boo at being a forum lurker)

If you change bond gems to z-crystals and bond abilities to z moves it basically matches up (even the bracelet is mentioned) and this was back in June/July (dependent on if it was American or rest of the world dating that has been used)

There's also these pics that were leaked that match his description of the starters final evo exactly along with a pic of what appears to be mallow (who has only just been shown in the trailer) just add the http thing at the front

.//heavy.com/games/2016/08/pokemon-sun-moon-corcoro-leaks-starter-pokemon-evolutions-real-fake-fakemon-rowlet-litten-popplio-evolutions-new-megas-alola-forms-pictures-photos/

ooo, and to me it looks as if the starters evolutions here could all be the night evolutions

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
My opinion on the new trailer and info:

- Z Moves: Not as hyped as I was about Mega Evolution, but still good. Can't wait to see more.
- Alola Forms: Am I the only one who has fallen in love with Alolan Ninetales?! Whoever thought of this concept really deserves a medal.
- New Pokémon: 7.8/10 Too much Donald Trump lol
- Rite of the Island Passage: I was shocked to learn this will replace the Gyms in Alola, at least. It's sad to say goodbye to a core mechanic that's been since the series' inception, but the new replacement does seem interesting and exciting. I can't wait!
- Poke Ride: This... Is... AWESOME!!! *dies from hype*

Overall review: Lots of shocking info to take, especially the gym replacements, but still the best news info batch we had till now. As for what I wish to see in the next info batch, that's one thing: the evil team.

Edit: Ash-Greninja'd.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
...as for X and Y, it seemed like another soft reboot despite that arguably being the purpose of Gen V?

X and Y felt like more of a reboot than Black/White, regardless of what they say about Gen 5 being the official reboot. Had Gen 5 not mimicked a large portion of its new pokemon from the Gen 1 pokedex with the likes of Timburr, Boufallant, Musharna, etc.I don't think I would have noticed a single resemblance.

Meanwhile, X and Y had Veridian Forest 2.0, gen 1 pokemon everywhere, the gen 1 starters, Lapras given to you just as at Silph Co., Snorlax blocking the road, Team Flare's hideout being very similar to the Game Corner, the legendary birds and Mewtwo being the only non-Kalos legends catchable in the game, and the various NPC references to Kanto. With all of this combined, X and Y felt much more reminiscent of Kanto than Unova ever did.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
this is by far the biggest departure from the norm. Hopefully they still included an evil team with a lady boss this time around. please let there be an evil team still...

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
I don't know if anyone's pointed this out yet, but apparently when Ash fuses with Greninja, he does the same dance that the Sun and Moon trainers do when they activate Z-Moves

http://imgur.com/k14mgjI

Greninja's Ash forme is a Z-Move maybe?

clbgolden12

I don't know if anyone's pointed this out yet, but apparently when Ash fuses with Greninja, he does the same dance that the Sun and Moon trainers do when they activate Z-Moves

http://imgur.com/k14mgjI

Greninja's Ash forme is a Z-Move maybe?
Hm, possibly... I never noticed that until now, good catch.

League

Master Abra Catcher
We don't know if that's all they do.
They also let you throw a pokeball without going into the app on your phone.

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Someone on Pokécommunity posted this:

image.jpg

It's the new Z-bracelet toy coming when the game launches, and gives a little in-sight on the other gems.

shadowF

I wonder what happens if the leaked information actually is right in us creating a Pokemon league. Would that mean when we become champions then people come and battle us? that would be so cool because I have always wanted to defend the title of champion since it would really make us feel legitimate like maybe Hau and Lily fight us for our title and the trial captains and kahunas! and we make our own gym leaders like maybe Hau and Lily and the trial captains and kahunas!

Nahiri

Selesnya Guild
Status
Not open for further replies.