• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three more pokémon added to the Japanese site: Lapras, Arcanine and Psyduck.

R_N

Why are these guys showing up?! What is the point of it?! I don't even remember seeing Psyduck in the trailers!

Seems like the point is to highlight changed pokedex entries and showcase gen 1 older pokemon that are going to be available.

Unless they pull a swerve, it's also giving some worse news for the one rumor since we had been operating on the assumption that Pokemon detailed here won't have Alolan forms and one says Arcanine is supposed to have a water typing...

Why are these guys showing up?! What is the point of it?! I don't even remember seeing Psyduck in the trailers!

I still think it just means "these returning pokémon will be catchable in Sun and Moon!", as well as to show off some new dex entries.
Psyduck was actually seen fighting against Fomantis in one of the Japanese trailers.
So does this imply Alola forms for those three?
I would honestly say it implies otherwise.

knightwolf09

Seems like the point is to highlight changed pokedex entries and showcase gen 1 older pokemon that are going to be available.

Unless they pull a swerve, it's also giving some worse news for the one rumor since we had been operating on the assumption that Pokemon detailed here won't have Alolan forms and one says Arcanine is supposed to have a water typing...

But I read some of the dex entries and they're practically the same as Gen 6. So again, what is the point? They never hyped up older pokemon being in the games before. And in a mixed region, some of these are already to be expected.

XXD17

Draco rex

That leak predicted oricorio and Alola forms in general though...that's got to be REALLY lucky if it is fake...

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
One thing we currently don't know is... whether or not Alolan Forms and standard forms will share the same Dex entry.

Because if we're getting only one, then Arcanine will most likely stay Fire-type since it's Gen 7 entry emphasizes on using fire as energy.
No Alolan form for this line if that's the case.

R_N

But I read some of the dex entries and they're practically the same as Gen 6. So again, what is the point? They never hyped up older pokemon being in the games before. And in a mixed region, some of these are already to be expected.

Then the point is to just show "hey these pokemon are here too" because it's the 20th anniversary and they want to highlight favorite pokemon. That's also probably why Zubat & Psyduck are the showcase for their lines rather than Crobat & Golduck. They're more recognizable.
That leak predicted oricorio and Alola forms in general though...that's got to be REALLY lucky if it is fake...

I suppose that, technically, the one that mentioned water growlithe could have been a separate person. They didn't use a trip or username, I guess?
I don't know, I've been growing more suspicious of the two that mentioned form changes for old Pokemon. Some stuff has been nagging me of them.

At the very least Rockruff should put things to rest next month and no doubt they will need to detail how transferring from the VC releases will differ if at all.

knightwolf09

Then the point is to just show "hey these pokemon are here too" because it's the 20th anniversary and they want to highlight favorite pokemon. That's also probably why Zubat & Psyduck are the showcase for their lines rather than Crobat & Golduck. They're more recognizable.

I suppose that, technically, the one that mentioned water growlithe could have been a separate person. They didn't use a trip or username, I guess?
I don't know, I've been growing more suspicious of the two that mentioned form changes for old Pokemon. Some stuff has been nagging me of them.

At the very least Rockruff should put things to rest next month and no doubt they will need to detail how transferring from the VC releases will differ if at all.

And once again the japanese twitter doesn't say a word for some of these. Last time they only announced Gyrados and Magikarp, but Spearow and Pinsir were also updated on the site. Now so far no one was announced.

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
One thing we currently don't know is... whether or not Alolan Forms and standard forms will share the same Dex entry.

Because if we're getting only one, then Arcanine will most likely stay Fire-type since it's Gen 7 entry emphasizes on using fire as energy.

considering what they did with vulpix/ninetails, I wouldn't put it past them. In fact, I'd be a little surprised if they didn't do something with them, given they're basically counterparts.

shadowF

guess with the trailers showcasing the Z stone it means we are getting the Z-bracelet really early. Like right after our ceremony battle with Hau it seems we will get it, I wonder if it being received this early means is it as special to mega evolution?

Tuoko

considering what they did with vulpix/ninetails, I wouldn't put it past them. In fact, I'd be a little surprised if they didn't do something with them, given they're basically counterparts.

Eh... Them being counterparts doesn't mean much.

Dusclops got an evolution while Banette got a Mega Evolution.

Mantine got a pre-evolution in Generation 4 while Skarmory has yet to get one.

Gardevoir and Mawile got a Mega Evolution in X/Y while Gallade and Sableye didn't get one until later for OR/AS.

Pidgeot, Beedrill, and Glalie all got Mega Evolutions in OR/AS while Fearow, Butterfree, and Froslass have yet to get something.

Just because they're counterparts, it doesn't mean they have to be treated the same or get something at the same time.

League

Master Abra Catcher
(The use of Arcanine in all of the below examples is not meant to imply anything or suggest support for an Alolan Arcanine.)

I still think it just means "these returning pokémon will be catchable in Sun and Moon!", as well as to show off some new dex entries.
Psyduck was actually seen fighting against Fomantis in one of the Japanese trailers.

I would honestly say it implies otherwise.
The answer could of course be that the "traditional" form of a species being native in the game does not at all contradict an Alolan form of the same pokemon being found in the game. I mean, people are acting like Alola is a monolithic environment that doesn't allow for sub-enclosures, as if that explains all Alolan forms. Well, technically, we know that Alola at least has enough sub-enclosures in Gamefreak's mind to allow for different forms of Oricorio, so there's no reason (as of yet) that Arcanine and "exclusively-Alolan-origin Arcanine" can't both originate in Alola.

Having never done something does not mean that there is no point in doing that thing, it only means that, whether or not there was a point in doing something before, it ultimately wasn't opted for.

Perhaps it's like the wheat and the tares, and someone with advance information chose to seed false information amongst the real information, or else, again, the statements "Arcanine as it has existed in the prior gens is found in Alola" and "Arcanine is found with a special form that only occurs in Alola" could not actually be contradictory.

The purported Pokeride Arcanine that can ferry you over hot water could still be fire-powered.

Last edited:

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
The purported Pokeride Arcanine that can ferry you over hot water could still be fire-powered.

While I am hoping for some sort of alola form arcanine... that would be pretty awesome with a regular one. Imagine it dodging geysers or something as it runs so fast it barely touches the water. XD

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Three more pokémon added to the Japanese site: Lapras, Arcanine and Psyduck.

May I simply mention all the Pokémon that are put in the section are the ones we have seen in the trailers so far? If anything, I only may be mistaken with Pinsir.

To think of it, X/Y had a massive dex and included most of the non-Kalos Pokémon in it's regional dex and yet didn't publicly notify a "Returning Pokémon" thread. Why is that now a big deal for Alola, with such a promotion/advertisement on their Twitter account and specifically mentioning Dragonite and Zubat first? I believe they undergo a change, whether a form, moveset or anything that I can consider a drastic change from their previous generation presence, instead of just receiving a brand new Dex information.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
It's also interesting how it's only Kanto pokemon being added to the site as well. Why not Stoutland or Sharpedo? It's really odd.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Well, we have confirmation that Gold Bottlecaps raise a Pokemon's IV's to 31.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
So, does anybody know which early Moncolle GET's are being released?

Status
Not open for further replies.