• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakuraba

They already have to do this to block gen 7 pokemon, forms, attacks & abilities from going to gen 6 though.

Not really. The filter just looks for an specific number in the Pokemons ID, say "07SM". And then blocks it from going to games that don't recognize it. If I had to guess, once a Pokemon goes to SM, it substitute the gen 6 code for the gen 7. That's my bet at least.

But that's not a reason?

Gen 3 couldn't interact with gen 2, period.
Gen 4 & gen 5 both required a minigame which I'm guessing the way they pulled them out of their carts made it a one-way trip. I presume Poketransporter's nonsense works the same way.

But I'm not seeing a reason for the Bank to not act like gen 2's trades (only gen 1 pokemon, only gen 1 moves). If the pokemon is otherwise compatible (or, at least, originally from gen 6) why can't it go backwards.

If I drop my XY Pidgey into Sun/Moon and do literally nothing to it why can't it go backwards?

Only thing I can think of right now is Trainer IDs being increased from five to six digits, and the last one could perhaps get lost if traveling back in time. Aside from that I don't have much of an idea. Adding in banlists for the new pokémon, moves and abilities don't seem like much work compared to make two separate box system to me but I'm no expert in that regard.
Regarding this segregation I'm curious how the storage will be distributed. The infographic still states "store up to 3000 pokémon!", so we will likely still have 100 boxes in total, but I'm wondering if we get complete freedom of how many boxes will be gen VI boxes and how many will be gen VII, assuming individual gen VI and VII compatible pokémon can't all just be scrambled together

Last edited:

Dialga101010

Dragon Trainer
The reason for making you unable to move Pokémon back a gen is that it would take a little more programming just to do something minor which is effort that can be applied elsewhere. It might seem lazy but it is simply something Gamefreak has never wanted to spend time on. Also Gamefreak has this perception that you want to move your Pokémon to the new game and keep them there (this is based on an interview with some Japanese celebrity that plays Pokémon. The interview was released as part of the announcement for Pokémon bank). Also let's be honest. How often are you going to load up an old game for something other than getting Pokémon transferred or breeded and transferred. It's the kind of thing you do once every few of years.

Bramblefire

Aura Guardian
We have seen screenshots for this. They can be scrambled, and when Gen VI games are used, it highlights pokemon that are not transferable.

astarsas

While we are talking about compabitility, do you guys think they will make battles available between Gen 6 and Gen 7 like how it was possible between XY and ORAS

yumenokage

faerie dragon ghost
Most likely the case. They probably didn't see the point in doing it since there's not much reason to transfer your Pokemon to Gen 7 only to want to transfer them back. I doubt many would even bother with it so they probably didn't want to waste their time doing something very few would even care about.

well, there could be if you do serious breeding. Say you've bred an older pokemon in gen 7, and all it's egg moves and everything are compatible with gen 6, and you want to trade with a gen-6-only player for something they bred or an event they've obtained. Why shouldn't you be able to do this? I mean, yeah, it probably wouldn't happen too often, but it's enough to make me nervous about transferring my breeding stock over. And since they've implemented ways to make ORAS games compatible with XY games both directly and through pokebank, as long as nothing ORAS-exclusive is used, there is a sort of precedent, and I don't see why they couldn't do something like this for Sun and Moon.

We have seen screenshots for this. They can be scrambled, and when Gen VI games are used, it highlights pokemon that are not transferable.
Oh, I had overlooked that last screenshot, thanks. Kind of odd that they're only highlighted when using a gen VI game and not a gen VII game though.
While we are talking about compabitility, do you guys think they will make battles available between Gen 6 and Gen 7 like how it was possible between XY and ORAS
Inter-generational battling has never been a thing, and I very much doubt it will be now.

gliscor&yanmega

well, there could be if you do serious breeding. Say you've bred an older pokemon in gen 7, and all it's egg moves and everything are compatible with gen 6, and you want to trade with a gen-6-only player for something they bred or an event they've obtained. Why shouldn't you be able to do this? I mean, yeah, it probably wouldn't happen too often, but it's enough to make me nervous about transferring my breeding stock over. And since they've implemented ways to make ORAS games compatible with XY games both directly and through pokebank, as long as nothing ORAS-exclusive is used, there is a sort of precedent, and I don't see why they couldn't do something like this for Sun and Moon.
The fact that wouldn't happen often enough is enough reason for them not to bother.
I don't think they care too much for those who end up being Gen-6 only, they are focused on the new generation and would rather everyone follow. Probably harsh but when it comes down to it, this is a company, they want money. People who don't buy the game aren't giving them anything so they aren't going to bother.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Doubt it, the gens will probably operate on different servers.

Last edited:

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
Like what has been said- I'm pretty sure the reason is data related.
Pokemon info and structure may be recieving a bit of an overhaul. Possibly in regards to IV's if the system has been revamped along with Hyper Training. Plus pokemon from Gen 1 RBY are being converted somehow to the next gen format.
Plus new Ribbons and other counting/event systems that now may exist in Gen 7- all these would be lost if then placed back into Gen 6 games (Hoenn's champion ribbon is not visible for XY- but the data slots exist to hold them- XYORAS games would not have any Data Slots made to hold brand new ribbons).
And as ItsmeBrandon said, having the pokebank application handle information for both generations is a luxury we've never had before, still accomodating XYORAS for the forseeable future.

knightwolf09

Hey, can anybody tell me what this says?

ー体とんな進化
を見せろのカ?

This was in a small section of June's corocoro next to the starters and I wanted to see what it meant. Not too sure if I wrote it completely right.

Last edited:

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Hey, can anybody tell me what this says?

ー体とんね進化
を見せろのカ?

This was in a small section of June's corocoro next to the starters and I wanted to see what it meant. Not too sure if I wrote it completely right.

I ran it through Google Translate and got this:

Over body ton ne evolution
The Show me mosquito?

...I love Google Translate.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I ran it through Google Translate and got this:

Over body ton ne evolution
The Show me mosquito?

...I love Google Translate.
That'll go right under "Sexual fresh green" as the best Google Translations ever done.

... But it may be on to something with "evolution".

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
That'll go right under "Sexual fresh green" as the best Google Translations ever done.

... But it may be on to something with "evolution".

You know it!

Anyhoo, show off-y mosquitoes aside, the actual translation goeth thusly:

“There is a secret hidden in that little body. In fact, there are also surprising secrets about the starter Pokémon too…!?” (Translation courtesy of Pokejungle)

It never stated that they shared the same secret, just that all 4 Mons held secrets. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the secret was shared.

knightwolf09

You know it!

Anyhoo, show off-y mosquitoes aside, the actual translation goeth thusly:

“There is a secret hidden in that little body. In fact, there are also surprising secrets about the starter Pokémon too…!?” (Translation courtesy of Pokejungle)

It never stated that they shared the same secret, just that all 4 Mons held secrets. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the secret was shared.

But the text I bought up had the word "evolution" in it.

sheld999

anyone see the recent thing with the dragon pokemon being able to withstand hyper voice from mega gardvior

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
But the text I bought up had the word "evolution" in it.

Yes, and what I showed was the same translation, just with the focus placed on the secret part, and not as much the evolution part. Also, the sentence mentioning the Starters simly hints at them also possibly having a secret, but it doesn't expressly mention evolution (進化 shinka). I'm not saying that the fully evolved Starters won't have two forms, just that the wording in CoroCoro is nice and vague. :)

anyone see the recent thing with the dragon pokemon being able to withstand hyper voice from mega gardvior

Yep, the Jangomo-o Hyper Voice thing has been discussed, but some people still don't think that's evidence of Megas returning.

knightwolf09

Yes, and what I showed was the same translation, just with the focus placed on the secret part, and not as much the evolution part. Also, the sentence mentioning the Starters simly hints at them also possibly having a secret, but it doesn't expressly mention evolution (進化 shinka). I'm not saying that the fully evolved Starters won't have two forms, just that the wording in CoroCoro is nice and vague. :)

Yep, the Jangomo-o Hyper Voice thing has been discussed, but some people still don't think that's evidence of Megas returning.

I don't know. That sentence doesn't sound rightly translated. The part I put up. What you said sounds like a completely different sentence. I'll go ask some people at bulbagarden if they know.

Status
Not open for further replies.