• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFairyQueen

Top Coordinator
Probably discussed already but "Pokémon Sun & Moon Demo will require 400mb/3,100 blocks to download"?
That's pretty much twice the size of the ORAS Demo (250mb/1,935 Blocks). Said demo had every important data. Guess GF doesn't care about leaks anymore.

A part of me hates the fact that everything will be datamined. But another part of me want all the leaks now.

Well that is mildly upsetting. I had hoped that they would have changed it since I have no self control and will probably not be able to help myself.

shadowF

So does anyone think the demo will be datamined and reveal alot of information?

emanresu15

Probably discussed already but "Pokémon Sun & Moon Demo will require 400mb/3,100 blocks to download"?
That's pretty much twice the size of the ORAS Demo (250mb/1,935 Blocks). Said demo had every important data. Guess GF doesn't care about leaks anymore.

A part of me hates the fact that everything will be datamined. But another part of me want all the leaks now.

Well that is mildly upsetting. I had hoped that they would have changed it since I have no self control and will probably not be able to help myself.

On the bright side, for those who wanna plan teams, they can see if a Pokémon has good stats or evolutions. With that said, I'll only take a glance for that reason, only with mons I'm unsure of using, like Mimikyu or Alolan Sandslash

TyLogic

What all is supposed to be in the demo? Will we get first-stage starters or mid-stage like ORAS? Maybe it takes up so much space because there will be ALOT of daily challenges. But...If the demo is that big...what about the game itself? I might need a new 3DS altogether just to play! XD

scififan21

You getting digital copy then I assume. My new 3DS XL has lots of space left, but I get physical stuff.

R_N

What all is supposed to be in the demo? Will we get first-stage starters or mid-stage like ORAS? Maybe it takes up so much space because there will be ALOT of daily challenges. But...If the demo is that big...what about the game itself? I might need a new 3DS altogether just to play! XD

We meet with Ash (presumably, or at least a surrogate), get the greninja (as our sole pokemon, seemingly) and we'll fight a lass with a pikipek & rockruff.

Obviously there's more to this but they haven't detailed it. This is just a guess, but I could see this demo having more pokemon in it & that's why there's more to the file size. For all the models & textures & junk.

goodpeople25

Rotom's forms were also banned in Platinum. It's feasible that the reason this is banned is because currently, it's linked to an event. Which is pretty silly, yes, but that rotom ban somehow applied in HGSS and that one just required *a* rotom. And for some reason this ban still includes Phione because event despite being an otherwise undesirable pokemon

Alternatively. It could be banned for other, less arbitrary (more arbitrary?) reasons like:
-greninja isn't in the alola pokedex & rated battles will follow that rule for at least until the pokemon bank update is out
-greninja from the demo doesn't have the needed marker in the first place
-megas are banned in WCS mode...perhaps that ban extends to the first set of Rating rules? Ash-Greninja isn't a conventional mega, but it might be close enough in the same vein as Primals.

Honestly the fact it's seemingly banned slipped through when I was reading it before. It's only mentioned once on the page and not even in a direct manner

so...I'm out of arguments here
What was the compatibility situation with D&P for rotom? Could that be a factor?

TyLogic

You getting digital copy then I assume. My new 3DS XL has lots of space left, but I get physical stuff.

It was a joke. I also have a New Nintendo 3DS! :D

R_N

What was the compatibility situation with D&P for rotom? Could that be a factor?

Sky Shaymin, Origin Giratina & Appliance Rotom would just automatically revert if brought into the trade room. If you were fighting each other, they would appear as their normal forms but still have their stats and such.

XXD17

Draco rex
Ash-Greninja shouldn't work without Ash in the games.. it doesn't feel right to call it Ash-Greninja without the Ash.

Might as well call the male's Greninja "BOI-Greninja" or the female protagonist "GIRLninja"

I just don't get why they couldn't just call it "hero-greninja"...

TyLogic

I just don't get why they couldn't just call it "hero-greninja"...

As long as it's the only one, then I'm fine. However, I don't think I would mind a "Misty-Starmie" or "Iris-Axew" or "Serena-Braixen". Cool, right? No? Well it was worth a shot...

LoveMcQueen5683

Will serebii be covering the leaks or will we have to look elsewhere...?

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。

But, the Generation 7 mechanics and in-game graphics compared to Generation 6 is huge. 3D trainer models in battles, Greninja's animation, the overworld, so it should be expected to have a large file than ORAS. Though, I agree with you that it will most likely be datamined.

TyLogic

But, the Generation 7 mechanics and in-game graphics compared to Generation 6 is huge. 3D trainer models in battles, Greninja's animation, the overworld, so it should be expected to have a large file than ORAS. Though, I agree with you that it will most likely be datamined.

Can't they do something so that it CAN'T be datamined? I'm pretty sure they made it hack-proof after the ORAS ordeal, or is that impossible...?

glacialcat

Can't they do something so that it CAN'T be datamined? I'm pretty sure they made it hack-proof after the ORAS ordeal, or is that impossible...?

I mean I guess they could just send everyone who downloaded it a rock in the mail instead of a demo. Probably couldn't datamine a rock.

"Hackproof" is essentially an impossible concept, especially for something like a video game company... if enough people with enough manpower want something by hacking, they can almost certainly get it. The easiest way they could prevent anything from leaking with this demo would be to purposefully scrub all non-relevant data. Which is possible, but would probably be time consuming. The question is if GameFreak thinks its worth the time and money to do it.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Will serebii be covering the leaks or will we have to look elsewhere...?

Serebii will NEVER cover the leaks. The coverage will officially begin on November 18th.
If you want to see them, Pokemon forums and other Pokemon websites will surely have it.

I know about that.
The thing is, we won't know if GF actually removed unnecessary data until the dmo is datamined.

If the whole dex, movesets, items, music, trainer data, etc are missing, then great. If not, then we can't do anything about it.

It is possible that GF may be changed their encryption, but there will always be hackers who can decrypt it.

Hauke_von_Arding

Guys... remember that SM has a better graphic and better engine than ORAS? Of course the demo will be larger because of Graphics too. Music especially take much space. It's no surprice the demo is larger than the ORAS demo...

TyLogic

I mean I guess they could just send everyone who downloaded it a rock in the mail instead of a demo. Probably couldn't datamine a rock.

"Hackproof" is essentially an impossible concept, especially for something like a video game company... if enough people with enough manpower want something by hacking, they can almost certainly get it. The easiest way they could prevent anything from leaking with this demo would be to purposefully scrub all non-relevant data. Which is possible, but would probably be time consuming. The question is if GameFreak thinks its worth the time and money to do it.

I was afraid of that answer. But I TOTALLY speculated it as well, so.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure they learned their lesson last time. I don't think GF will make the same mistake twice. (So many Fighting starters after Blaziken...)

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
As long as it's the only one, then I'm fine. However, I don't think I would mind a "Misty-Starmie" or "Iris-Axew" or "Serena-Braixen". Cool, right? No? Well it was worth a shot...
Haha, this reminds me of those old "Someone's Pokemon" cards. It would be kinda cool if we got Pokemon like that. :p I guess we kinda have though, what with Lance's Dragonite, N's Darmanitan, etc. being distributed. They just don't have a bond form.

This is what I've been thinking every time someone asks this. The demo comes out a month before the launch. GF probably figures that any damage an info leak can do in that time is more than cancelled out by the hype they'll gain from the demo. And therefore it's not worth the man-hours it would take to scrub everything not already released. I mean, they're clearly not too incredibly bothered about witholding everything they haven't confirmed officially yet, or someone would have spotted that Cutiefly evo in the Japanese live-action trailer. It's not like it's even in the background somewhere. And to be honest, if anything, an info leak at this stage can only benefit them, as people who don't want the info will avoid it, and those who do will be even more hyped. The only way it could backfire is if there's some Pokemon or feature we don't know about yet that everyone hates so much that they don't buy the game. And if there's something that awful, then frankly it's GF's fault for including it in the first place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.