• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
What if they added light type? It would probably be called "Good type" Or "Angel type" In japanese.

They would've already revealed something as major as a new type. Also you're thinking of Fighting-types' honorable fighting style, which can be seen as "Good" hence the Evil/Dark-type's name.

. Some of the previews mentions that it still feel like you're in a "tutorial" after two hours of gameplay. So it might just be that the early game is very dialogue and plot heavy so the actual route progression isn't so huge. Most of them mention getting through the first trial and some mention coming to the big city by the beach at the end.
That seems likely. Most JRPGs are heavily based on plot, exposition and tutorials within the first couple of hours. Maybe the reviewers didn't have much opportunities to encounter wild Pokémon because of story events.

But the second is given a fun new twist as monsters you remember from Red or Gold or Ruby have been reinvented to suit the Alolan environment.
The only ones I saw in my playthrough were a nasty black Rattata with a moustache, a fa-bu-lous Meowth who is way too chill to be fighting, and another I'm not allowed to talk about.
This caught my attention. It sounds almost as if they're hinting towards non-Kanto Pokémon having an Alolan form. Though alternatively the reviewer could just be mistaking the mon's initial generation, like R_N said.

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
kanto pokemon have shown up in all of those and with so many pokemon it's feasible to misremember who was introduced where

ah fair enough, they could be referring to how the first gen pokemon found in those regions.... lol oh well

They would've already revealed something as major as a new type. Also you're thinking of Fighting-types' honorable fighting style, which can be seen as "Good" hence the Evil/Dark-type's name.

That seems likely. Most JRPGs are heavily based on plot, exposition and tutorials within the first couple of hours. Maybe the reviewers didn't have much opportunities to encounter wild Pokémon because of story events.

This caught my attention. It sounds almost as if they're hinting towards non-Kanto Pokémon having an Alolan form.

This is what I am hoping for!

Baggie_Saiyan

from ign
"After two hours in Sun, I'd seen an important story cutscene, picked my starter (Litten), trained him to around level 11, caught a full party of new and old Pokemon, and only barely reached the first real city before my time was up. It's a very different pace, and it's done well — I felt like very little time had passed, and I still had the entirety of Alola to explore."

Ahh that makes me so so so happy, I hope the rest of the game is paced like this, :)

Rykel22

Info Gatherer
To be fair, these game reviewers are most likely taking notes as they play, so the two hours they have are not wall-to-wall play time. Still if it takes an hour plus to reach the 1st main city, I think we're in for a nice long game.

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
from ign
"After two hours in Sun, I'd seen an important story cutscene, picked my starter (Litten), trained him to around level 11, caught a full party of new and old Pokemon, and only barely reached the first real city before my time was up. It's a very different pace, and it's done well — I felt like very little time had passed, and I still had the entirety of Alola to explore."

Ahh that makes me so so so happy, I hope the rest of the game is paced like this, :)

This makes me happy as well and I hope the same. I do not mind a little more gameplay in between the trials. XY did this a bit and it was great, but still a little fast paced. Here's hoping we have a nice, leisurely build up before the Muk hits the fan!

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
from ign

That is great news. Considering most of the players, or speaking on my behalf, I will spend a lot of time in Poké Refresh and Festival Plaza (If accessed early), that will even take longer time.

noakai

All of the articles I've read so far have gotten me pretty excited. I love that they keep mentioning how vibrant the actual world feels, how Pokemon are actually feeling like part of it and some of them are doing their own thing, and how the battle interface feels very improved.

knightwolf09

I wonder if more people will use Refresh since we know that it heals status ailments, and now we know you can access it right after battles. Healing items are now practically useless outside of battle, which is a potential good thing cause you can save up FOR battles.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I wonder if more people will use Refresh since we know that it heals status ailments, and now we know you can access it right after battles. Healing items are now practically useless outside of battle, which is a potential good thing cause you can save up FOR battles.

its funny they took away the elite four just when this is given to us... would have been perfect for between the battles if you didn't want to use items!

BlitzGirl41

According to Nintendo Insider, it can activate if you press the Y button after the battle, so it's not automatic.

Pretty convenient for those who enjoy the feature, but it avoids it getting too repetitive or forced.

Also sounds like a good way to make the Amie feature more relevant. In X/Y and OR/AS, I have only used Amie to get my permanent team members' affection to 100%, then I never touch it again...

Dragon Pulse

I kinda see Fairy-types as the "good" type.

Baggie_Saiyan

Tbh I never used them outside of battle anyway, unless special case or E4 so this saves me running/flying to the PC!

Orphalesion

I kinda see Fairy-types as the "good" type.

Well fairies in pokemon are glitter and shimmer and whimsy and moon light, they are like the helpful guardians that protect stuff from destruction, while Fighting types are the honorable heroes who actively go after the threat.

Notice that since the introduction of Dark type both Psychic and Fighting types have (in general) become less sinister and menacing than they were in Gen 1. Not that there aren't still creepy psychic types and s=dangerous fighting types, but the number of them that represent more positive things has increased. Gallade and Guardevoir are perfect examples, or the Muskedeers.

BlitzGirl41

Well, they did take away gyms, which are linked to the E4.

However, the Island Trials (if they are the true replacement for gyms which, again, has not been claimed by GF to be confirmed) are a way to weed out worthy Pokemon trainers, and the Trial Captains and Kahuna themselves are those who worked for it. So it's no different than proving your worth through gym battles. Who's to say that people who showed exemplary behavior/skills/etc in the Trials could not find themselves gaining prestigious ranks to test the best-of-the-best? It's not too far-fetched for me to believe that there is an E4 or equivalent.

knightwolf09

However, the Island Trials (if they are the true replacement for gyms which, again, has not been claimed by GF to be confirmed) are a way to weed out worthy Pokemon trainers, and the Trial Captains and Kahuna themselves are those who worked for it. So it's no different than proving your worth through gym battles. Who's to say that people who showed exemplary behavior/skills/etc in the Trials could not find themselves gaining prestigious ranks to test the best-of-the-best? It's not too far-fetched for me to believe that there is an E4 or equivalent.

Don't you think they would've mentioned gym leaders by now if they were still in the game? The island challenges are a right of passage, not a league. Which is why this game doesn't have gyms. It's you becoming a strong trainer in a different way.

BlitzGirl41

Don't you think they would've mentioned gym leaders by now if they were still in the game? The island challenges are a right of passage, not a league. Which is why this game doesn't have gyms. It's you becoming a strong trainer in a different way.

I did mention that of course the Trials could be replacement for the Gyms. Which would infer that there is something that stands in place of the E4. Whatever that "something" is is up to debate. There is going to be an end game of some sort outside of the UBs/Legendaries/Zygarde stuff of course, just like every Pokemon game. We just don't know yet what it will be, but I still think that it will be the Alolan equivalent to the E4 in some way, shape, or form.

knightwolf09

I did mention that of course the Trials could be replacement for the Gyms. Which would infer that there is something that stands in place of the E4. Whatever that "something" is is up to debate. There is going to be an end game of some sort outside of the UBs/Legendaries/Zygarde stuff of course, just like every Pokemon game. We just don't know yet what it will be, but I still think that it will be the Alolan equivalent to the E4 in some way, shape, or form.

I feel like the Kahunas are like the Elite 4, thought their system is different. Instead of fighting them one by one you fight them as big bosses. That's what I think anyway.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Type: null evolves? well that's surprising. I was certain it was going to be a one off but it looks like it does indeed evolve. I'm very curious to see what it's design is.

Jungmo-o is going to become dragon/fighting and i love it! now if only we had a dragon/bug i would be set.

Grimer i always thought it would become a steel type for some reason and even when i saw the picture i thought it really was a steel type. dark/poison is a great type and alolan grimer will be so much more viable than regular grimer. Now for a rock type koffing and voltorb (and possibly a fairy type ponyta that evolves into a fairy/flying pegasus rapidash)

Status
Not open for further replies.