• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_N

I heard that Gen V EXP caling is back for Sun and Moon. Is that a good thing or bad thing? Or does it make a difference in how difficult the game plays?

The gen 5 experience system gives more exp over all until you reach higher levels vs lower leveled pokemon.
But unless the difference is large or you're actively grinding, you'll probably never notice.

Honestly I say it's a good thing because it makes catching pokemon up easier, it makes post-game grinding easier unless you need to get ot level 100 (which most people probably wont & getting to 100 is kind of a pain regardless). It's kind of irrelevant to game difficulty because high differences in levels just...isn't something they really do during the main game anymore.

e: To put it another way it matters significantly less than things like "there has yet to be a trainer with more than 1 pokemon in the first 2 hours of the game beyond Hau" or "Guzma has a level 30 ariados as one of his 2 pokemon at the half way point of the game"

Last edited:

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
The gen 5 experience system gives more exp over all until you reach higher levels vs lower leveled pokemon.
But unless the difference is large or you're actively grinding, you'll probably never notice.

Honestly I say it's a good thing because it makes catching pokemon up easier, it makes post-game grinding easier unless you need to get ot level 100 (which most people probably wont & getting to 100 is kind of a pain regardless). It's kind of irrelevant to game difficulty because high differences in levels just...isn't something they really do during the main game anymore.

I agree on all points except leveling to 100. People will definitely be doing that, because of Hyper Training, so if the Gen 5 scaling is back, then that will be a pain.

Still, aside from that, please bring the Gen 5 scaling back! I absolutely loved that in BW/B2W2.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
If the Gen V Exp. system is back, I'd assume that they'd add high leveled trainers to grind off of so that the diminishing returns aren't that much of an issue (if at all). B2W2 and Gen 6 as a whole was pretty kind in that regard and I don't think GF wouldn't accommodate for it to at least some extent.

knightwolf09

If the Gen V Exp. system is back, I'd assume that they'd add high leveled trainers to grind off of so that the diminishing returns aren't that much of an issue (if at all). B2W2 and Gen 6 as a whole was pretty kind in that regard and I don't think GF wouldn't accommodate for it to at least some extent.

That is true. If trainers don't have that many in their team, they can still make it up with the number of trainers you encounter. I hope the VS Seeker returns.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The VS seeker or return of Battling Cafes is definitely needed. Or even both like ORAS, you could rematch trainers and there was a restaurant you could just battle in though I found it weaker EXP farming valued than XY's cafe.

Crystal Power

Do anyone know the exact time the news on October 27th will be revealed. North America EST timezone? Much appreciated.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Do anyone know the exact time the news on October 27th will be revealed. North America EST timezone? Much appreciated.

It should be 9 AM for you.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Guys, we don't need to know who your waifus are.
Please stick to actual discussion.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Nice, I will be awake by then. Thank you very much! ^_^

You are welcome :) Let's hope fore some interesting news! (That hopefully hasn't already been spoiled for those of us who have peeked at the datamine)

Julia Artemis

Probably the rest of the Alola forms, some new pokemon officially revealed, maybe Kahili. Basic stuff I'm guessing. I got a feeling this will be our final trailer till release.

It would be cool to see the Alolan Champion or Grand Kahuna whatever they're calling it before the game comes out. Dinfintely feels like Kahili will be important and doesn't seem to fit Mudsdale girl or Pelipper Guy

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
Kahilli is definitely a female, so Pelipper guy is out of the running.

Yeah, and even if Kahili is male, he doesn't look like a golfer. Same goes for Mary Mudsdale, who gives off more of an archaeologist vibe, and apparently spends her days navigating a canyon with her Mudsdale.

R_N

I agree on all points except leveling to 100. People will definitely be doing that, because of Hyper Training, so if the Gen 5 scaling is back, then that will be a pain.

Still, aside from that, please bring the Gen 5 scaling back! I absolutely loved that in BW/B2W2.

I think Hyper Training is going to be something very useful, but niche. We still need to know how expensive bottlecaps are, if nothing else
Anyway that said, there will probably be SOME trainers with high levels so the diminishing returns will probably not be too much of an issue.

XY was kind of, ahhh, rough. The Restaurants weren't the best way to grind. They were basically puzzle battles and very tedious to get through. The upper most level one also has a nearly guaranteed money loss unless you use literally every single possible money doubler in the game and play each match perfectly. The Battle Chateau was also just...not great. Infinite trainers, but a weird money sink and it took a while to get going and it was just so bland and most trainers didnt have a lot of pokemon. In retrospect I think the Chataeu wanted to be an equivalent to Black Tower/White Treehollow but it just didn't hit as well due to trainer team composition and trainer locations.
The e4 also took an eon to get through if for no other reason than the long room introductions.

ORAS was better though. You had secret bases, rematches and the e4 only ever played their room intros once. The worst parts were just how secret bases were once a day dealies and rematches were compeltely random.

Someone at gamexplain mentioned that they went back through a route in their 2 hours, and some of the trainers seemed to have refreshed themselves. I'm very curious if that was a legit thing or if he just forgot to fight some trainers; no one else really mentioned it outside the impressions video. Course all this would be solved if they just BROUGHT BACK THE VS SEEKER

scififan21

Definitely miss the VS Seeker, but Trainer Eye? In OR/AS was pretty handy to. As long as I have a good way to grind postgame I'll be perfectly happy.

Metafogos

I will very happy if the today reveal show any new pokemon/alolan form/mega form/ultra beast who not in the datamine files! Something like "the hackers dont get everything!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.