• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

willprogresivo

Creepy Uncle
Remember the theory that the simplest explanation is the correct one? There aren't two regions, people. Get over it.

TranquilSea

Not really. You have to realize Kalos would have to be completely redesigned, then textures and models would need to be applied, potentially doubling the file size of the Kalos region making Sun/Moon possibly reach 6GB in size. While 3DS Cartridges can hold 8GB, it would be unreasonable to have a 3DS game be such size.
I don't think you're fully grasping what I mean by recycled assets. In S/M, all the Pokemon models can be expected to take around 1.3, maybe 1.4 GB in total.

Now let's assume they decide to make a second region. What else would they need to add? Not the Pokemon models again, because they're already in there.

3.2 GB - 1.4 GB = 1.8 GB. That's what left of S/M after we take Pokemon models into account.

OR/AS was 1.8 GB in total (i.e. including all of the Pokemon models). Therefore, the Hoenn region itself is a little less than 1 GB. So the question is, can 2 regions fit into ~1.8 GB? Based on what we know of Gen 6, and assuming there are enough recycled assets, I'd say the answer is yes.

Note: I don't believe S/M will have 2 regions, I'm just saying that file size could potentially accommodate 2 regions. In terms of texture quality, S/M's overworld doesn't even look as good as Yokai Watch's, and YW is about 1 GB; YW2 is about 2 GB.

SlimeStack

Honestly they only included a previous region once, and that was in the original direct sequel with no precedent of how RBY should expand. Since then they found that they can cut off the existing world and make a whole new independent region (RSE), they found that people will buy a whole new game just to access another region (FRLG), and they found that they can create new post-game areas to complement the current region without dumping an entire old one in the game (Sevii Isles, Battle Zone, etc).

I wouldn't expect two regions (one new and one old at least) ever again unless it has Gold, Silver or Crystal in the title.

Novembre

Honestly they only included a previous region once, and that was in the original direct sequel with no precedent of how RBY should expand. Since then they found that they can cut off the existing world and make a whole new independent region (RSE), they found that people will buy a whole new game just to access another region (FRLG), and they found that they can create new post-game areas to complement the current region without dumping an entire old one in the game (Sevii Isles, Battle Zone, etc).

I wouldn't expect two regions (one new and one old at least) ever again unless it has Gold, Silver or Crystal in the title.

Totally agree. SGC were an exception because of the storyline.

Gohankuten

I still think the possibility of us going back to Kalos is quite real. A lot of the plot of XY was never finished since a Z version never came out. And since SM has Zygarde and we have the strange souvenir connection I could see them putting us going back to Kalos in the post game to tie up the loose ends that XY left us with plot wise.

TranquilSea

Yeah, Gen 2 was a rather unique situation in general. I've read that it was Iwata who compressed G/S enough for them to fit the Kanto region in the first place. My pet theory is that by the time Iwata made more room for them, the design of the Johto region was close to completion. So rather than the crazy amount of work it would take to flesh out Johto, they decided to tack on Kanto, which they already had the blueprint for. Whatever was gutted from Kanto was what they couldn't manage to fit.

It's definitely not something I expect again, as much as I would like for it to happen.

knightwolf09

Oh wait Serebii already has it down. Apparently it's called Ultimate Dragon Burn.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I still think the possibility of us going back to Kalos is quite real. A lot of the plot of XY was never finished since a Z version never came out. And since SM has Zygarde and we have the strange souvenir connection I could see them putting us going back to Kalos in the post game to tie up the loose ends that XY left us with plot wise.
Aside from Zygarde just what loose ends are there to tie up in the plot of XY? The origin of the sundial? It came from space, I honestly don't expect much more explanation than that (though we may get a bit in Sun/Moon).

Owl City

Following Gamexplain's videos, about Pokemon league, and gyms being built... just to justify 7 z crystal missing a giveaway character, well.. there are 7 ultrabeast in each version... maybe we'll get a z crystal from each ultrabeast, Beauty looks like a fairy, so maybe we'll get that crystal from her, and so on with the remaining utrabeasts... (I like more the name UltraBeings)

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
Aside from Zygarde just what loose ends are there to tie up in the plot of XY? The origin of the sundial? It came from space, I honestly don't expect much more explanation than that (though we may get a bit in Sun/Moon).

Alola seems to have a moondial, which was foreshadowed in X/Y by a random NPC (sort of). Also, in the recent overview trailer, there is what appears to be a cutscene featuring Perfect Zygarde, but it's only for a second or so.

And there's also the mystery of the Lumiose ghost girl. As well the mysterious team that asked a NPC in Anistar about Xerneas / Yveltal a few years BEFORE we did in X/Y.

I think it's the implied lore which people want to see most, other than a Zygarde arc. Just who were Kalos at war with, in AZ's time and quite recently? Just what is the secret behind AZ Floette, and why was its model included (though that one drives me nuts; could be as simple as Floette's return being originally intended for our battle against AZ) in Gen VI? Who are the Draconids? Did Lysandre survive? Who was AZ's younger brother, and what happened to him? Does Kalos exist outside of the Mega Evolution timeline, or was it actually destroyed as a result of AZ's ultimate weapon, or the lack of it?

And that's just skimming over some of the loose ends I can remember, there are likely plenty more. Granted, these questions can simply be answered in other games, whether it be this generation, eventual remakes of XY or even remakes of other games. I think the real reason, perhaps especially for myself, is because coming off the back of a story driven region such as Unova, with an established lore surrounding us from the offset, it felt like there was real depth, something all great JRPG's manage to bring to the table. Whereas, in my opinion, Kalos fell short of expectations on the story front simply because it left us with more questions than answers, and is perhaps even more frustrating when we might not get another Kalos entry for a good while yet.

Compare XY to ORAS, though, and even though it's a remake you can tell there's more depth than there was before. Professor Cozmo's dad? Archie and Maxie's history? Nods to other games?

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I think it's the implied lore which people want to see most, other than a Zygarde arc. Just who were Kalos at war with, in AZ's time and quite recently? Just what is the secret behind AZ Floette, and why was its model included (though that one drives me nuts; could be as simple as Floette's return being originally intended for our battle against AZ) in Gen VI? Who are the Draconids? Did Lysandre survive? Who was AZ's younger brother, and what happened to him? Does Kalos exist outside of the Mega Evolution timeline, or was it actually destroyed as a result of AZ's ultimate weapon, or the lack of it?
But a lot of those don't strike me as loose ends as they weren't at all important to the story.

1. Does it matter who they were at war with? From interviews I've read they only included such a huge war to contrast how the pokemon world has changed from the ancient past, the politics of it were not important. And I don't recall any indications of a recent Kalos war.

2. Given it got its own signature move it seems they planned for AZ's Floette to be an event pokemon. As for what it is, its a pokemon mutated by the Ultimate Weapon, similar to how AZ was.

3. The Draconids were an ORAS thing, not Kalos, and is there any reason to think they were anything more than what they were stated to be, namely a secretive group of keepers of ancient knowledge regarding Rayquaza?

4. I'm pretty sure Lysandre's fate would depend on the version, since in one he intends to use the last of the weapon's power to make the group immortal, and in Y version he intends to simply kill them.

5. AZ's brother was a fellow royal and Lysandre's ancestor. If you mean what was his name then that doesn't seem all that important or a loose end.

6. I'm pretty sure one point made during the whole parallel universe story in ORAS is that in the non-mega timeline the Kalos war and Ultimate Weapon never happened, hence why mega stones never became widespread.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It would make more sense going to Unova postgame. Pokemon equilavant of Hawaii and the US.
Kanto's had enough games.

TranquilSea

Pokemon hasn't been much of a world building series. There's traces of it here and there, more so in the last 2 gens, but it's never all that cohesive or conclusive.

For something like AZ's Floette, the explanation could be as simple as them changing the ending up a bit. Perhaps the original plan was that he uses it in the last battle. I'm actually fully expecting to see AZ and his Floette in Sun and Moon's Battle Tree.

Pokemon hasn't been much of a world building series. There's traces of it here and there, more so in the last 2 gens, but it's never all that cohesive or conclusive.

For something like AZ's Floette, the explanation could be as simple as them changing the ending up a bit. Perhaps the original plan was that he uses it in the last battle. I'm actually fully expecting to see AZ and his Floette in Sun and Moon's Battle Tree.

...so, pretty much what I'd already said about AZ's Floette? I've always hated that argument ("it's in the game therefore it has some great meaning)

It would make more sense going to Unova postgame. Pokemon equilavant of Hawaii and the US.

If it wasn't for the player character being from Kanto and Unova being Pokémon's version of NY (not the entire U. S.) then I'm sure many of us would agree. I'm itching to one day see us return to Sinnoh or Unova, and the sooner the better, though I doubt we'll be leaving Alola's chain of islands this time around.

Last edited:

My thoughts exactly. We can't forget those leaks that mentioned there would be 157 BW Pokemon and 71 XY Pokemon and most people speculated that the Pokemon that was moved was Zygarde, a Pokemon which is relevant to S/M, possibly meaning Zygarde was once a Unova Pokemon and menacing we could go into Alola. Plus how the USA owns Hawaii.

I'm looking too deep into the rabbit hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.