• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gliscor&yanmega

Sinnoh remakes will probably happen on Switch with Gen 8, Gen 7 is following the pattern of Gen 5, but imo Sinnoh doesn't need a remake I feel Gen 4 holds up pretty well.
It's outdated at this point and has been for a while along with most of the other Gens, even the first two remakes are outdated now.

It's not so much of a need regardless, just a matter of letting past Gens keep up with the times. By Gen 8 it's only going to make more stuff outdated.

Plus in terms of sales, it's proven a success and each new remake gets better sales than the last. We'll end up with DP remakes this or next gen. Although gamefreak has made it a point of doing the unexpected, so they may do something different from a remake.

With Alola being such a popular tourist destination, it explains why there are Pokémon from every previous region present in Alola's ecosystem. But the alternate forms for Kanto Pokémon is indicative of a much older, possibly ancient, connection to Kanto that no other region's influence has been able to duplicate. I don't know if this connection translates to a real-life historical influence of feudal Japan over tribal Hawaii, but it'd be interesting to see the historical parellels in the games' story once they come out (because you know that all the history buffs on the internet will be quick to point them out.)

As far as what remakes we're getting next, I really don't care. I just want to enjoy Sun and Moon first, before I worry about the next remakes.

Last edited:

glacialcat

With Alola being such a popular tourist destination, it explains why there are Pokémon from every previous region present in Alola's ecosystem. But the alternate forms for Kanto Pokémon is indicative of a much older, possibly ancient, connection to Kanto that no other region's influence has been able to duplicate. I don't know if this connection translates to a real-life historical influence of feudal Japan over tribal Hawaii, but it'd be interesting to see the historical parellels in the games' story once they come out (because you know that all the history buffs on the internet will be quick to point them out.)

As far as what remakes we're getting next, I really don't care. I just want to enjoy Sun and Moon first, before I worry about the next remakes.

Japan and Hawaii do have connections, but nothing nearly as ancient. The first record of Japanese contact with Hawaii was in the early 1800s as survivors of a wrecked Japanese ship washed up on Hawaii. There wasn't much more contact between the two countries until the late 1800s when Japan officially allowed emigration to Hawaii for the first time in 1885. This was only three years before the U.S. annexed Hawaii in 1888. So Japan does not have a lot of roots in Hawaii, much less than the continental U.S. did at the time.

From an historical perspective, it is Micronesia and Polynesia that had the greatest impact on Hawaiian culture and biodiversity.

Edit: Even if Japan did have a big ancient connection with Hawaii... wouldn't explain why Sinnoh, Johto, and Hoenn were left out.

Last edited:

Baggie_Saiyan

Guess it's just me then lol. I wonder at which point they'd stop with the remakes.

gliscor&yanmega

Guess it's just me then lol. I wonder at which point they'd stop with the remakes.

Unless they decide to do something new or the sales aren't good(Unlikely), never. They are great for nostalgia and now with Megas and Regional Variants the remakes have more potential.

Unless they decide to do something new or the sales aren't good(Unlikely), never. They are great for nostalgia and now with Megas and Regional Variants the remakes have more potential.

I feel like when the franchise ends they'll still do remakes of older games just for the sake of putting them on newer devices.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Japan and Hawaii do have connections, but nothing nearly as ancient. The first record of Japanese contact with Hawaii was in the early 1800s as survivors of a wrecked Japanese ship washed up on Hawaii. There wasn't much more contact between the two countries until the late 1800s when Japan officially allowed emigration to Hawaii for the first time in 1885. This was only three years before the U.S. annexed Hawaii in 1888. So Japan does not have a lot of roots in Hawaii, much less than the continental U.S. did at the time.

From an historical perspective, it is Micronesia and Polynesia that had the greatest impact on Hawaiian culture and biodiversity.

Edit: Even if Japan did have a big ancient connection with Hawaii... wouldn't explain why Sinnoh, Johto, and Hoenn were left out.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head, Japan didn't have much more (if at all) of a presence in Hawaii then the USA did, and there are other countries that had bigger influences then it.

Really, at the end of the day, the Alolan forms being Kanto only is just that they wanted to give fans of those Pokémon a special treat, nothing else to it. It wasn't meant to have a historical or conceptual basis to that reasoning other then them playing around with the idea of speciation for those Pokémon.

Novembre

You killed me with the plushies. Now, I want plushies. I need an army of Pokémon plushies on my desk too. It will be pretty fun to work with Litten stares at me.

Huckleberry

Poison Trainer
You killed me with the plushies. Now, I want plushies. I need an army of Pokémon plushies on my desk too. It will be pretty fun to work with Litten stares at me.

I know the Chespin on my desk always makes me smile and last night my sister bought me an adorable Pumpkaboo to join him. I wouldn't mind them turning into an army all over my desk! I need a chubby Alola Raticate too!

Novembre

I know the Chespin on my desk always makes me smile and last night my sister bought me an adorable Pumpkaboo to join him. I wouldn't mind them turning into an army all over my desk! I need a chubby Alola Raticate too!

I'm so jealous! Pumpkaboo is one of my favorite Pokémon! Tell your sister she has pretty good tastes.

Anthea

Omg I always loved little mons like pumkaboo but I never thought to buy merchandise based on them. Off to shop I go

Edit: wow I didn't know there was so many cool official pokemerch, the gym badges and femmekim phone case :D

Last edited:

DSDark

Breeder
So I have an interesting thought on the Alolan Pokemon League and it's more or less the pipe dream of most pokemon fans. Creating your gym. From what we've gathered is that during the course of the game the Alolan pokemon league is being built. More then likely the Kahunas's will become the Elite 4 and the trial captains will become the gym leaders. Now what would be cool is when this happens in your game you are asked to be gym leader and you are allowed to create your own gym and what type and what pokemon you will use. Then you can share your gym through street pass like the secret bases from ORAS. Now when you receive street pass data you can use other people's gym data for the 8 gyms in your game. I would think this could work through a Pokemon league office building where all your passerbys are collected in a room and you can battle them to see if you like their team and if you want to be a gym leader in your game. Also through this feature you could share your league through the streetpass data and have players go through your pokemon league challenge.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
So I have an interesting thought on the Alolan Pokemon League and it's more or less the pipe dream of most pokemon fans. Creating your gym. From what we've gathered is that during the course of the game the Alolan pokemon league is being built. More then likely the Kahunas's will become the Elite 4 and the trial captains will become the gym leaders. Now what would be cool is when this happens in your game you are asked to be gym leader and you are allowed to create your own gym and what type and what pokemon you will use. Then you can share your gym through street pass like the secret bases from ORAS. Now when you receive street pass data you can use other people's gym data for the 8 gyms in your game. I would think this could work through a Pokemon league office building where all your passerbys are collected in a room and you can battle them to see if you like their team and if you want to be a gym leader in your game. Also through this feature you could share your league through the streetpass data and have players go through your pokemon league challenge.

Nah, I think the 8th gym will be held for Guzma, so it can make another Gen 1 reference.

Nah, I think the 8th gym will be held for Guzma, so it can make another Gen 1 reference.

*embraces inner Colress*

I disagree. Well, at least partly.

I think both Team Skull and Aether will no longer be organisations by the end of this - both will be either disbanded by the player or the leader themselves. But I do like the idea of a Guzma who has seen the error in his ways become a Gym Leader, seeing as that role to him will feel incredibly like a trial captain, which he has always wanted. So I agree that it would be nice for Guzma to be the Gym Leader, but it wouldn't exactly be a reference to Gen 1.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I find it a little early to speculate on the reservation of a spot for Guzma when we really don't know exactly how "bad" he is - remember, some Pokemon villains have literally been arrested, and it stands to reason he would only become a potential leader candidate after the resolution of his story. Therefore I think it's much too early too speculate on that point very thoroughly - he could just be thrown in prison at the conclusion of the plot, and that wouldn't do very much for his chances to be a Leader.

I'm more concerned with the identity of a theoretical Alolan Champion. Do we face one as the conclusion of the Island Challenge, after defeating all four Kahunas? Do we become the in-game Champion of the League that's being built for Alola? Am I just missing something really obvious that's already been revealed, covered, or otherwise addressed?

And that's to say nothing of the sort of gentrification-like concept of replacing a traditional rite of passage of an island region with the mainland's standard League concept, but I think that's a separate discussion.

Orphalesion

And that's to say nothing of the sort of gentrification-like concept of replacing a traditional rite of passage of an island region with the mainland's standard League concept, but I think that's a separate discussion.

Yep, I have been thinking about the implications of that concept since the Chinese leak said we were going to "build a league" Considering that our Character is also a recent arrival to Alola from Kanto it just has all sorts of unfortunate implications and and harks back to the colonial concept of "Bringing Culture" to a place. I could easily imagine Japan had a similar concept during their colonial phase.

But yeah, different discussion.

future.newyorker

Yep, I have been thinking about the implications of that concept since the Chinese leak said we were going to "build a league" Considering that our Character is also a recent arrival to Alola from Kanto it just has all sorts of unfortunate implications and and harks back to the colonial concept of "Bringing Culture" to a place. I could easily imagine Japan had a similar concept during their colonial phase.

But yeah, different discussion.

Since the main site is pointing toward the "league" just being the Elite Four, it could very well be that the Rite of Passage is still going to continue, and Once future trainers clear it, then they'll challenge the league. Also, the league being built apparently has nothing to do with your character coming to Alola, so the implications aren't really there as it seems it's something the people of Alola agreed on and decided to build.

Status
Not open for further replies.