• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodpeople25

Actually I'm pretty sure she never straight out says she's part of team flare as an E4 member (implies a connection sure), it's during the Looker mission where it's really confirmed (which makes sense since by then she her deal) I think it was handled fine (sure I'd love another fight but I can say thaf about quite alot of charecters in all pokemon games) and doing stuff with her team flareness outside the Looker mission brings up her still getting to be a member of the E4 unless there was alot of tweaking

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
That's pretty much a combination of: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GameplayAndStorySegregation and http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AcceptableBreaksFromReality

Realistically it makes no sense ofr the gym leaders and Elite 4 to sit around all day (and all night) and wait until somebody, possibly, maybe, perhaps, waltzes in uninvited and demands that they battle. Realistically those people need to eat, sleep, shower, poop, unwind and socialize at some point, realistically someone has to be paying them for their service as gym leaders/E4 (after all those capes and cans of Dragonite chow don't pay for themselves) and would probably rather not pay them just to sit around. Realistically there are probably time frames within which gym leaders and the E4 are available to be challenged.

However pokemon doesn't go in-dept with its simulation of everyday life, because that's not what the game is about and out of convenience for both the players and the creators. So yes whenver the PC is at a gym, it just happens to be during the gym's business hours.

Oh yeah, NPC's need to poop, too, don't they? In that case, I really hope that each E4 chamber as a private bathroom hidden off to the side somewhere.

And I hope the Gym Leaders get paid. I mean, we know they get to keep the cash they earn from beating Trainers (as we know Crasher Wake uses that money to help his community), but if Norman relocated his entire family just so he could start winning petty cash off of kids and teenagers, then I feel even worse for his wife. She's acts all sweet and calm, but if he really is earning so little, then she's probably operating a call service or something out of her living room just to keep the roof over their heads, No wonder she gives her kid an Amulet Coin...someone needs to bring home the bacon.

And as to the unfortunate connotations of a league being built that you mentioned earlier, I don't think it will replace the Island Challenge. As has been brought up, your character isn't the one actually bringing this concept with them, and odds are a league can't be forcibly built somewhere. I'm thinking that the leaders of Alola, likely the Kahunas, decided to have a league built as to compliment the Island Challenge, as Gyms (if we get them, which I think we will) and the E4 are there as a way to test a Trainer's battling skills, while the Trials serve as a way to test the bond between Trainer and Pokemon, which is why they don't always involve battling ("find me ingredients", "take some pictures", let's DANCE!", etc.).

Basically, I see the League and the Challenge as two separate options for Trainers to choose, similar to the Gym/Contest paths (only Trials are a full path, unlike Contests, which are just a fun thing on the side).

future.newyorker

Oh yeah, NPC's need to poop, too, don't they? In that case, I really hope that each E4 chamber as a private bathroom hidden off to the side somewhere.

And I hope the Gym Leaders get paid. I mean, we know they get to keep the cash they earn from beating Trainers (as we know Crasher Wake uses that money to help his community), but if Norman relocated his entire family just so he could start winning petty cash off of kids and teenagers, then I feel even worse for his wife. She's acts all sweet and calm, but if he really is earning so little, then she's probably operating a call service or something out of her living room just to keep the roof over their heads, No wonder she gives her kid an Amulet Coin...someone needs to bring home the bacon.

And as to the unfortunate connotations of a league being built that you mentioned earlier, I don't think it will replace the Island Challenge. As has been brought up, your character isn't the one actually bringing this concept with them, and odds are a league can't be forcibly built somewhere. I'm thinking that the leaders of Alola, likely the Kahunas, decided to have a league built as to compliment the Island Challenge, as Gyms (if we get them, which I think we will) and the E4 are there as a way to test a Trainer's battling skills, while the Trials serve as a way to test the bond between Trainer and Pokemon, which is why they don't always involve battling ("find me ingredients", "take some pictures", let's DANCE!", etc.).

Basically, I see the League and the Challenge as two separate options for Trainers to choose, similar to the Gym/Contest paths (only Trials are a full path, unlike Contests, which are just a fun thing on the side).

I like the idea of being able to choose which path you take, trials or gyms, but I love the idea even more of getting to do both. Which is a big possibility at this point.

JVLightningLover

Veteran Trainer
I like the idea of being able to choose which path you take, trials or gyms, but I love the idea even more of getting to do both. Which is a big possibility at this point.

You will, provided Gyms are in the game (which, again, I believe they will be), I was just saying how it will work within Alola after the League is built. Young Trainers that start their journeys after you will get that choice is my point. You don't have a choice, though, since the league isn't built yet. You have to take the Island Challenge first, but then you can take on the Gyms if/when they are ready.

future.newyorker

You will, provided Gyms are in the game (which, again, I believe they will be), I was just saying how it will work within Alola after the League is built. Young Trainers that start their journeys after you will get that choice is my point. You don't have a choice, though, since the league isn't built yet. You have to take the Island Challenge first, but then you can take on the Gyms if/when they are ready.

Or maybe they won't get a choice either. What if from now on (once the game is cleared and the league is built), new trainers are required to take part in the Rite of Passage to strengthen and prove the pond they share with their Pokémon before being allowed to challenge the Pokémon League and earn the 8 badges?

kawaiiconcept

TOP OF THE MORNIN'
Or maybe they won't get a choice either. What if from now on (once the game is cleared and the league is built), new trainers are required to take part in the Rite of Passage to strengthen and prove the pond they share with their Pokémon before being allowed to challenge the Pokémon League and earn the 8 badges?

that would make the game sooo long ^.^

Legendary Dreams

Something tells me the Trial Captains + Guzma/Lusamine will become the new Gym Leaders and the Kahunas will take the place of the Elite Four... then that will be the new system in which the sequels to the games take place.

I feel like they heard our complaints about Gen 6's storyline being bland and they're going back to the Generation 5 formula... and it doesn't help Gen 7 is timed somewhat the same with Gen 5 when it comes to Console Generations shifting over. I mean it's a bit ambitious to be thinking of sequels, but considering they outright mentioned building the League, I couldn't help but think it's both a post-game feature and a sequel hook of some sort.

Gohankuten

I wouldn't be surprised if S/M is all we get though, with the Switch on the horizon it would be a good idea to move on to that rather than continue 3DS support for a couple more years. However, it's highly unlikely they immediately drop support for 3DS when the Switch releases, just like how they didn't just ditch gen 5 when the 3DS came out, because IIRC they released BW2 after the release of the 3DS. Maybe we'll get a remake of a gen, because there's nothing saying if we get a remake it'll definitely be DPPt remakes, but I see no reason for a third game at this point for certain reasons.

That's not really a good comparison since the 3DS was still part of the DS family and all Gen 5 games could be played on the 3DS. The better comparison would be Gen 3 when we had the DS first come out 10 months after FRLG came out and then Emerald came out only 2 months before the DS launched. We then had Gen 6 launch 2 years after the DS launched on the DS thus ending future pokemon GBA games. So really we could possibly see SM be the last pokemon dame on the 3DS and we get a DPPt remake on the switch in 2 years if switch sales do good.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
That's not really a good comparison since the 3DS was still part of the DS family and all Gen 5 games could be played on the 3DS. The better comparison would be Gen 3 when we had the DS first come out 10 months after FRLG came out and then Emerald came out only 2 months before the DS launched. We then had Gen 6 launch 2 years after the DS launched on the DS thus ending future pokemon GBA games. So really we could possibly see SM be the last pokemon dame on the 3DS and we get a DPPt remake on the switch in 2 years if switch sales do good.

So Sun and Moon are the only games of Gen 7? Hmm, well that's possible. To me they feel more like anniversary titles than your regular main ones. I will not be surprised at all if the next Pokémon games will be Gen 8.

BCVM22

So really we could possibly see SM be the last pokemon dame on the 3DS and we get a DPPt remake on the switch in 2 years if switch sales do good.

Problem with this example is that you're crossing the streams. If one chooses to believe that core Pokémon titles are destined for the Switch - not unreasonable, but not a guarantee - the first core titles for the Switch wouldn't be remakes. The effort that has to go into designing, building and populating a game engine for new hardware is better served for them when it comes with an entirely new region, and all the new, additional trappings therein. In that scenario, the first core Pokémon titles for the Switch would be a new region to lead off Generation VIII. From there, with a game engine complete and that foundation in place, the next development would be remakes, made relatively less complex by the previous existence of the Pokédex, geography, towns, Gyms, etc. of the remade region - in this case, Sinnoh.

All of this is rendered moot by the fact that Sun & Moon aren't out yet and Generation VII isn't even underway yet, making discussion of what follows - more Generation VII, or Generation VIII - exceedingly premature.

Creyk

Between wimpod's evo and this, this generation is seriously serving with it's designs
Poor gen 5. I just wish we had twice as much pokemon because we barely got anything
lurantis.png

marumaruko

Ghost Trainer
I think "building a league" is not what it seems it is. It won't be as customised as we wish it will be, probably it just means that we witness a pre-determined story and just take part in there being 4 trainers who'll say "hey let's build a league" and later on there they are with their pre-determined teams. I get the feeling a lot of people hope for sim/minecraft like customisation of the Alola League and that will imo never happen.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
All this talk of DPPt remakes really is far too premature. Let's actually complete the postgame for Sun and Moon before delving into that topic.
It's a shame that we haven't had a better look at games coming to Switch but. Sun and Moon are 99% assured to have nothing to do with it- but it would be cool to once again see Pokemon games connect to major consoles for Stadium-esque features and gameplay.

marumaruko

Ghost Trainer
Problem with this example is that you're crossing the streams. If one chooses to believe that core Pokémon titles are destined for the Switch - not unreasonable, but not a guarantee - the first core titles for the Switch wouldn't be remakes. The effort that has to go into designing, building and populating a game engine for new hardware is better served for them when it comes with an entirely new region, and all the new, additional trappings therein. In that scenario, the first core Pokémon titles for the Switch would be a new region to lead off Generation VIII. From there, with a game engine complete and that foundation in place, the next development would be remakes, made relatively less complex by the previous existence of the Pokédex, geography, towns, Gyms, etc. of the remade region - in this case, Sinnoh.

All of this is rendered moot by the fact that Sun & Moon aren't out yet and Generation VII isn't even underway yet, making discussion of what follows - more Generation VII, or Generation VIII - exceedingly premature.

I'm convinced that the main games will make the jump to the Switch, because the Switch will replace 3DS and WiiU becoming the first handheld + home console hybrid. It is specifically being marketed as such. Although some people mentioned that it's too big for a handheld, looking at how huge smartphones and the tablets people willingly carry around with them became makes it less of a problem. Handheld in these days doesn't mean "storable in ones pocket" anymore etc etc, but I digress.
That said, I can't imagine GF making a Gen IV remake for the new console before making a Gen I remake for the Switch (as a part of the recent Gen I hype) or creating a whole new concept of Pokemon games given the possibilities the Switch will offer. Maybe one huge remake covering Gen I to IV, given all take place in "Japan", it could become one huge map with gyms being composited in a way that every region gets a couple of gyms. Sounds pretty ambitious, but I mean a large crowd complained already about how little ORAS had to "offer" apart from the graphic model, that a plain remake probably won't make any sense anymore.

future.newyorker

I think "building a league" is not what it seems it is. It won't be as customised as we wish it will be, probably it just means that we witness a pre-determined story and just take part in there being 4 trainers who'll say "hey let's build a league" and later on there they are with their pre-determined teams. I get the feeling a lot of people hope for sim/minecraft like customisation of the Alola League and that will imo never happen.

I honestly don't think anyone thinks this is how it will be.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Between wimpod's evo and this, this generation is seriously serving with it's designs
Poor gen 5. I just wish we had twice as much pokemon because we barely got anything
lurantis.png

Lol why poor gen 5? Gen 5 has some amazing designs.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
(Insert something about Trubbish and Vanilite here)

But yeah, I agree, gen 5 had some great designs for me. I really love 'Mon like Mienshao, Volcarona, Zebstrika, etc. It's a shame the gen gets so much hate, and mostly because of just two Pokémon.

Orphalesion

then I really wonder why everybody is so excited about this part of the story.

Because it's something we haven't seen before in a Pokemon game and it will be interesting to see what form that new league takes and which characters will be involved.

Also some people speculate that gyms will appear and we will be able to challenge them in post-game.

TyLogic

Well friend, that's debatable (Though a debate about it seems pointless).
I like the generation 5 Pokemon designs, however, they do seem more...realistic(?) compared to other Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.