• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowF

Are there actually story line differences between Pokemon Sun and Moon? I thought it was only the time of day and version exclusive pokemon.

BCVM22

Solgaleo and Lunala play the same role in their respective games, and the Totem Pokémon in the first trial differ. Those are the only things one might classify as "story differences."

BCVM22

That's semantics. Depends on if you consider a cosmetic geographic difference to be a "story difference."

Ryuken

Steel User
I wasn't sure where to post it, but I'm through my second run of pokemon sun with IV bred/trained mons and discovered that some NPCs actually have full 31/IV - 252/Stats in some pokemon. So far Plumeria's salazzle was able to outspeed a jolly 31/252 speed Lycanroc of the same level.
No wonder why the game feels slightly harder than others when underleveling. I always thought EVd pokemon only appeared post-game or in the E4.

Graficcha

Team Magma Scientist
I'm enjoying every second of this, including the frustrating bits with tougher enemies and harder to catch wild pokemon.

This gen really upped the game on how Pokémon tells its main game stories, I'm almost done with the first island and I feel like I actually have a place in this world rather than 'player character with OP Pokémon grinding through semi-story-embedded battles to get to the end'. The game nabs you by the hand still but I don't feel like I'm just running from scene to scene.

Not a perfect game and it's still not mind-blowingly complex, but man, it doesn't have to be and I'm lovin' the direction this is taking :)

What I don't understand is why Rotom isn't in the Alolan Pokedex itself and give its own entry.

Currently the theory to explain this is that to get a full national dex, due to backwards compatibility issues, PokéBank is practically mandatory to use anyway, so they will keep the National Dex available through the bank only.

You won't need a pass to consult the dex either, you only need to pay to store pokemon in it.

For the price of a slightly fancy coffee I have no problems with that, and it's pretty flexible to swap a lot of pokemon at once with it provided you have physical cartridges too. I plan to load about 400 pokemon into my sun/moon once the bank comes out and immediately put them back, just so I get the dex entries for looking-cool purposes and crit capture rates.

Maybe they'll add some kind of function to reward dex completion through pokebank, like increased pokemiles/BP the more your dex is completed. *shrug*

It'll work out somehow but without bank you'd have no way of collecting a full gen 7 national dex anyway, unless you want to link trade every single 'mon from people who do use the bank.

Last edited:

Bowlbasaur

I've just arrived at the fourth island and have a pretty decent team going, all close to lv. 50. This has been one of the most enjoyable pokemon games I've ever played, I have very few complaints. The only thing that really bothers me is that it seems like most NPC trainers have only one pokemon instead of two or three like they used to. I miss that extra exp!

Graficcha

Team Magma Scientist
Only 9 hours in and beat Lana's challenge on Akala. I feel like I played a good bunch on the weekend, but I bet I am going a bit slower than other people here. One big thing pushing me forward is the fact that Lapras and Jangmo-o are available in the level 40-something zones...and my team is only 22... :(

I asked a friend of mine who already had the game to breed me an egg, I've had the good fortune of being able to use Jangmo-o as one of my mains since soon after the first Pokémon center :3

Ask around on the new trade forum to see if anyone's want to spend some time breeding you things you don't have access to yet, can make for a real fun playthrough should you ever restart the game.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Apparently, much like how there was no new Dragon-type move in Gen VI, there has been no new Fighting-type move introduced this Gen.

I just noticed that now.

Graficcha

Team Magma Scientist
Apparently, much like how there was no new Dragon-type move in Gen VI, there has been no new Fighting-type move introduced this Gen.

I just noticed that now.

Throat Chop is fighting, or is it not?

Speaking of dragon moves, my Jangmo-o learned Dragon Tail, and I was all 'how is this wild Oricorio able to flee from me out of nowhere what the heck haxx!' for about a minute before I remembered what that move even does...

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I was surprised to see that Throat Chop and Brutal Blow were Dark type attacks. They seem more like Fighting.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I was surprised to see that Throat Chop and Brutal Blow were Dark type attacks. They seem more like Fighting.
I guess it's one of those instances where it's seen as a low/dirty tactic, so it'd fit better for Dark.

BlitzGirl41

I am only on the third island (arrived there last night), and so far I can agree with everyone else that this gen has the best story-telling and world development so far. I actually feel like I can give a damn about the characters, especially Lillie. And, oh boy, Lusamine was pretty scary to me when I met her for the first time. Just...a vibe she gives. And her expressions are disturbing. We shall see what happens.

My only complaint is the (relatively) small roster of brand-new Pokemon, but it's something I expected from the get-go. It's going to be nearly impossible for me to create an all-Alolan team, not including Alolan forms. Gyarados and Midnight Lycanroc are just taking up two slots while the other four do all the fighting, haha. Why would I use Lycanroc when I've taught Mudsdale Rock and Fighting moves? And so far, I've found no need for a Water Pokemon... Mudsdale kills Fire Pokemon with ease. XD I'm also a bit frustrated that clothing options are pretty limited right now, and that what you see in a store is all that there is. But so far it seems that there are multiple apparel shops on each island, so I'm sure later on I'll find clothing I like. Also interesting how Sun and Moon have specific colors.

On a side note, I am loving the music in Malie City, both day and night. To me, both versions sound like music I would hear in Okami, one of my favorite video games of all time. I also love the explanation that people from Johto designed the garden. Johto honestly is one of my favorite regions.

Abzu

Well I too managed to get the games and finished it, I must say i really liked those games but it could get pretty hard... still in the end I loved them :3

For now I finished the main story and thus will focuss on caching more pokemon...

Still the characters in this one were pretty good, I specially loved Lillie in this game XD

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
well, just like i was expecting, my store didn't have the games on the release date. It's so frustrating but i already knew that was gonna happen. More waiting for me, yay :(. Well enjoy the game my european friends.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Main site has been updated, now has all of the new Pokémon up with Sugi artwork. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.