• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akashin

Speaking of Pokedex, I find it weird that the Island Scan Pokemon are not part of the Alola Dex. Sure, they might be more rare of things, but they're technically still present on Alola.

So are the Pokemon that show up on the DexNav after settling the Primals in ORAS, but they aren't in the Regional Dex. Same goes for swarms in Gen IV and Gen V, as well as Hoenn and Sinnoh Sound in HGSS. It's hardly the first time that Pokemon found in the wild in a given region aren't in its Regional Dex for one reason or another.

Jadgirl04

Lilac Dungeoneer
Has anyone else caught a shiny on their birthday? It's mine today and I randomly found a shiny Gumshoos about 10 minutes ago. It wasn't an SOS battle and I sidn't have anything that would increase the odds, it was just a normal encounter when I was training. Is there any chance this is an actual feature, or just dumb luck? 0_0''

Akashin

There's not even a remote chance that it's anything more than very good luck. Congrats, though.

Finding Shinies without meaning to through sheer luck is still a thing, after all. It happened to me with a Granbull while training last night, too.

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
I've made it to the post-game and have reached the Battle Tree but I'm now stuck as I can't beat Red or Blue, and therefore can't get into the Battle Tree. My team has no chance against EV trained Pokemon even more so when my Pokemon are so painfully slow. I've decided I'm going to EV train and power level my Lunala later and sweep their teams with that so I can finally get the IV Checker for the PC and start grinding BP so I can start IV breeding some Pokemon. I don't want to use Lunala but I refuse to go through another hellish nightmare like I did with Dexio and his Mega Alakazam especially when the Battle Tree is what I've wanted to do most since the games came out.

On the bright side, I finally got the hairstyle, hair colour and contacts I wanted since the start of the game. Now I just need a good outfit for my character.

slowdude

I need somewhere to rant. Not sure if this topic is appropriate but oh well. What the hell were they thinking making the festival plaza a thing. Gen VI had it perfect, could trade/battle without leaving the game. Now we're expected to go to this 'plaza' where we have to get our **** together before entering and it requires an internet connection every time we join.

Seriously this is such a regressive feature, why would they make connecting with other players more complicated its insane.

Akashin

I need somewhere to rant. Not sure if this topic is appropriate but oh well. What the hell were they thinking making the festival plaza a thing. Gen VI had it perfect, could trade/battle without leaving the game. Now we're expected to go to this 'plaza' where we have to get our **** together before entering and it requires an internet connection every time we join.

Seriously this is such a regressive feature, why would they make connecting with other players more complicated its insane.

...What? Internet connection (and the time it takes to connect) has always been a thing. The only difference between then and now is having to go to the Plaza itself which, first visit tutorials notwithstanding, takes all of six seconds. It's not as convenient as PSS, no, but it's not nearly the insanely regressive feature you're suggesting it is. It's really only an issue if you're intending to trade items, which I can't imagine is an issue very often (and when it is, Quick Link solves that problem on at least a local basis).

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
Bit lazy too search, so spare me.

Is only the Blue Shellos/Gastrodon line available in Gen VII?

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
...What? Internet connection (and the time it takes to connect) has always been a thing. The only difference between then and now is having to go to the Plaza itself which, first visit tutorials notwithstanding, takes all of six seconds. It's not as convenient as PSS, no, but it's not nearly the insanely regressive feature you're suggesting it is. It's really only an issue if you're intending to trade items, which I can't imagine is an issue very often (and when it is, Quick Link solves that problem on at least a local basis).
He might have exaggerated the problem but I am finding finding people to be harder then it was in xy and ORAS, needlessly harder.

Get into the festival plaza, wait till you see each other, find each other in the guest list, send request and hope they don't have "refuse random requests" set to on

I also appearantly can't change my items on my pokemon before the fight like I could in XY/ORAS (least not from what I've seen.) It was convenient not to have to pretty much disconnect from the Internet to edit my team and stuff.

It clearly recognizes you have a friend list, idk why there couldn't be a list akin to VIP and guest list.

At least quick link is cool

Last edited:

Akashin

Bit lazy too search, so spare me.

Is only the Blue Shellos/Gastrodon line available in Gen VII?

Yes, only east sea Shellos is in these games.

He might have exaggerated the problem but I am finding finding people to be harder then it was in xy and ORAS, needlessly harder.

Get into the festival plaza, wait till you see each other, find each other in the guest list of friends, send request and hope they don't have "refuse random requests" set to on

I also appearantly can't change my items on my pokemon before the fight like I could in XY/ORAS (least not from what I've seen.) It was convenient not to have to pretty much disconnect from the Internet to edit my team and stuff.

It clearly recognizes you have a friend list, idk why there couldn't be a list akin to VIP and guest list.

At least quick link is cool

That's all true, though I was talking specifically about trading (and more specifically GTS), which is unchanged beyond not being conveniently placed on the bottom screen.

BCVM22

I also appearantly can't change my items on my pokemon before the fight like I could in XY/ORAS (least not from what I've seen.) It was convenient not to have to pretty much disconnect from the Internet to edit my team and stuff

Your Pokémon and your bag are among the buttons on the bottom of the Festival Plaza screen.

90% of complaints about the Festival Plaza are either people not using it correctly or just shouting "IT LOOKS DIFFERENT!" compared to the online interfaces in the last few games.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
Your Pokémon and your bag are among the buttons on the bottom of the Festival Plaza screen.

90% of complaints about the Festival Plaza are either people not using it correctly or just shouting "IT LOOKS DIFFERENT!" compared to the online interfaces in the last few games.

o, you're right, but I still have to back out of the fight with my friend if I see something wrong with my team, and then have to go searching for them through the guest list again unless I listed them in VIP. Have to recconect to them specifically and everything. This is a hassle if it's not just someone I have constant contact with and am just looking for people to fight or trade with online as they won't be in my VIP list. That wasn't even my main complaint anyway (I edited that in after and even said "appearantly" and "(least not from what I've seen)" implying I was pretty unsure and looking to be corrected if it was possible), I don't know why you're using that part of my post for support of 90% of complaints, that feels quite misrepresentive when i had other complaints in the same post you just didn't quote (whether you could respond to it or not.)

Last edited:

Gengarite X

The whole evolution move thingy has got me kind of confused. So there's no way my Kadabra can learn Confusion when it evolves from Abra at level 16?

I have a few points about Sun & Moon that I wanted to bring up as I wanted to see what other people thoughts are.

I'll start by saying I really love the graphics, scenery, new game dynamics, camera angles, larger character avatars and just the overall feel.

However. There are a few things that just feel generally off about the game and I can't particularly put my finger on them. I was hoping by mentioning it on here that someone may understand what I am trying to say.

1. The game just doesn't feel very Pokemony. It feels at times somewhat like a game in which Pokemon have been added as an after thought.

2. I feel myself going through the game half really getting into it and half holding back. There is somewhat a feeling as though I am playing a demo or playing some additional after game side mission. Or playing Pokemomn lite.

The world doesn't feel expansive enough. Like the region is too small and as though they have tried to cram a story in to this small area. I don't feel motivated to 'catch em all' as I have in previous games.

It feels so much different to previous games. I don't think it is down to the change in aesphetics, lack of gyms or changing the game forumular.

I didn't feel like this in the shift from the 2-d birds eye view to the 3-D X/Y OR/AS.

3. Previous games have felt very Japanese like and even though they setting has somewhat changed such as Paris it still felt part of the same universe.

4. Previous games have felt fuller this feels somewhat empty.

Nothing I have stated here is a fact and just how I persoanlly feel. I am enjoying the new feel to the game but I also can't wait to see these new features and aesphetics used on a new region in the future that great represents the previous regions.

erebus

Holy hellfire! Just got through the main story I honestly could barely put my 3DS down!!!! Although Platinum will always hold the #1 place in my heart I've got to admit that Sun & Moon just frickin' nailed it! Hands down the best pokemon game I've ever played

I really thought I'd have trouble getting used to the changes, such as there being no gyms, no E4 (back when I thought there wasn't going to be an E4, oh boy was THAT an awesome surprise!), more emphasis on story, etc., but honestly I thought the trials were a great substitute, and the whole thing feel like pokemon, just a much deeper version of it. And the whole thing with Lillie? Loved it!

Honestly, if D/P/Platinum ever get remakes (fingers crossed) I'd have absolutely no complaints whatsoever if they tweaked the storyline to make it as deep as Sun/Moon.

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
I have a few points about Sun & Moon that I wanted to bring up as I wanted to see what other people thoughts are.

I'll start by saying I really love the graphics, scenery, new game dynamics, camera angles, larger character avatars and just the overall feel.

However. There are a few things that just feel generally off about the game and I can't particularly put my finger on them. I was hoping by mentioning it on here that someone may understand what I am trying to say.

1. The game just doesn't feel very Pokemony. It feels at times somewhat like a game in which Pokemon have been added as an after thought.

2. I feel myself going through the game half really getting into it and half holding back. There is somewhat a feeling as though I am playing a demo or playing some additional after game side mission. Or playing Pokemomn lite.

The world doesn't feel expansive enough. Like the region is too small and as though they have tried to cram a story in to this small area. I don't feel motivated to 'catch em all' as I have in previous games.

It feels so much different to previous games. I don't think it is down to the change in aesphetics, lack of gyms or changing the game forumular.

I didn't feel like this in the shift from the 2-d birds eye view to the 3-D X/Y OR/AS.

3. Previous games have felt very Japanese like and even though they setting has somewhat changed such as Paris it still felt part of the same universe.

4. Previous games have felt fuller this feels somewhat empty.

Nothing I have stated here is a fact and just how I persoanlly feel. I am enjoying the new feel to the game but I also can't wait to see these new features and aesphetics used on a new region in the future that great represents the previous regions.

I think those feelings are largely personal? I can imagine all the changes make it feel less pokemon-y to you, but I do think pokemon get way more attention in these games than ever before. Most of the new pokemon have unique moves/abilities/concepts, the 3D models have a lot of character, some of them we can only encounter by doing something that fits the pokedex description like for example chasing a Wimpod, Refresh is a more accessible and useful version of Amie and lots of other little details.

As for the region being smaller and the games less full, I feel the complete opposite. I don't know if Alola is factually larger than most other regions, but for me it certainly feels like one of the biggest. Maybe there being less cities and only 17 actual routes creates the illusion that the region is small, but have you noticed the humongous list of explorable areas which are basically routes that just aren't called routes? Almost every inch of the islands is accessible, something we can't say for most other regions. I mean, it took me 45 hours to become the champion, instead of the usual 20-30 for pokemon main games.

In the end I suppose it all comes down to personal preferences. For me Kalos felt the emptiest, with large plots of inaccessible land between routes and towns, Kiloude as the only post-game area and all there was to do after beating the league was the battle maison and some looker sidequests. Alola offers so much more, it has definitely become my new favorite.

Last edited:

Akashin

The whole evolution move thingy has got me kind of confused. So there's no way my Kadabra can learn Confusion when it evolves from Abra at level 16?

Unfortunately so. You're stuck with its paltry moveset and TMs, if any, until it gets Psybeam at 21.

I think those feelings are largely personal? I can imagine all the changes make it feel less pokemon-y to you, but I do think pokemon get way more attention in these games than ever before. Most of the new pokemon have unique moves/abilities/concepts, the 3D models have a lot of character, some of them we can only encounter by doing something that fits the pokedex description like for example chasing a Wimpod, Refresh is a more accessible and useful version of Amie and lots of other little details.

As for the region being smaller and the games less full, I feel the complete opposite. I don't know if Alola is factually larger than most other regions, but for me it certainly feels like one of the biggest. Maybe there being less cities and only 17 actual routes creates the illusion that the region is small, but have you noticed the humongous list of explorable areas which are basically routes that just aren't called routes? Almost every inch of the islands is accessible, something we can't say for most other regions. I mean, it took me 45 hours to become the champion, instead of the usual 20-30 for pokemon main games.

In the end I suppose it all comes down to personal preferences. For me Kalos felt the emptiest, with large plots of inaccessible land between routes and towns, Kiloude as the only post-game area and all there was to do after beating the league was the battle maison and some looker sidequests. Alola offers so much more, it has definitely become my new favorite.

Thanks for taking the time to write that post. It is very interesting to see another persons opinion and I entiriely respect that. Maybe this overhaul of the game (which was needed) has just thrown me.

I already find myself very fond of this game and I say that genuinley and not because you have an opossing opinion to mine.

I would like to ask your opinion on the following points;

1. Is there anything that really sets the game apart from previous games regardless of the aesphetics and changed up storyline? In your opinion.

2. I think also the begining to the game is very plot, diaologue and cut scene heavy.

I felt in previous games that diaologue and cut scene heaviness only came very early on in the game when starting out choosing a Pokemon etc

I've felt somewhat pushed through the game by cut scenes and heavy dialouge where I have wanted to just get on with the game but feel held back by this stop start nature. Again. You may feel this was more apprant in previous games. (minus the opportunity to customise characters)

Maybe my issues come from a physcoligical feeling of it been set on several smaller islands rather than one region of a larger country.

Status
Not open for further replies.