• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how many Pokemon are catchable in Sun & Moon. I don't mean by transfer from other games.

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
Thanks for taking the time to write that post. It is very interesting to see another persons opinion and I entiriely respect that. Maybe this overhaul of the game (which was needed) has just thrown me.

I already find myself very fond of this game and I say that genuinley and not because you have an opossing opinion to mine.

I would like to ask your opinion on the following points;

1. Is there anything that really sets the game apart from previous games regardless of the aesphetics and changed up storyline? In your opinion.

2. I think also the begining to the game is very plot, diaologue and cut scene heavy.

I felt in previous games that diaologue and cut scene heaviness only came very early on in the game when starting out choosing a Pokemon etc

I've felt somewhat pushed through the game by cut scenes and heavy dialouge where I have wanted to just get on with the game but feel held back by this stop start nature. Again. You may feel this was more apprant in previous games. (minus the opportunity to customise characters)

Maybe my issues come from a physcoligical feeling of it been set on several smaller islands rather than one region of a larger country.

I'm glad you like it either way! I have to say I also never played a pokemon game I didn't enjoy, even my least favorites were fun.

On those points:

1. That's a difficult question haha, I would say the overall feel of it, but maybe that is too vague. I think Alola has a very distinct character as a region, which shows itself in the music, tropical-looking Pokemon, its own unique features like Trials and Alola forms, Poké Pelago, the NPC's and the many natural areas to explore. This in combination with how it's breaking the rules with the storyline, Island challenge, legendaries, Ultra Beasts etc. makes it a really fresh and coherent experience for me. I might also be quite biased because I love tropical island settings.

2. I do agree it is way more apparent in these games than in previous ones, but personally I like a deeper plot and the use of cutscenes, but I'm aware many people don't.

Bowlbasaur

Has anyone else caught a shiny on their birthday? It's mine today and I randomly found a shiny Gumshoos about 10 minutes ago. It wasn't an SOS battle and I sidn't have anything that would increase the odds, it was just a normal encounter when I was training. Is there any chance this is an actual feature, or just dumb luck? 0_0''

Sounds like some luck to me! I'm seeing a surprising amount of posts where people are running into shinies just out of the blue, but I have not had such fortune yet lol. Congrats!

My friend found a wild shiny Spearow just walking around also, non-sos, and we both have found a few shiny pokemon. Seems they are much more common in this game. Has not taken us more than an hour to chain.

DJStarstryker

My friend found a wild shiny Spearow just walking around also, non-sos, and we both have found a few shiny pokemon. Seems they are much more common in this game. Has not taken us more than an hour to chain.

I agree with this. I'm playing the game with another person in my house (he has Moon, I have Sun) and we've now each encountered a non-SOS shiny in the wild. I got Yungoos and he got Pikipek. Neither of us has ever bothered to shiny hunt in our entire history with the series (I've been playing since Blue, he's been playing since Sapphire) so these are our first shinies.

I probably won't bother shiny hunting until I get the shiny charm, but it's nice to know shinies are so much easier to get than they used to be back in the day. I know that'll bug some people, because the fact that they're less rare means that more people ALSO have shinies than before. But Pokemon is a game that's partly about collecting things. If people want to collect shinies, it shouldn't feel nearly impossible to get even 1, like it did in the old days.

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
I agree with this. I'm playing the game with another person in my house (he has Moon, I have Sun) and we've now each encountered a non-SOS shiny in the wild. I got Yungoos and he got Pikipek. Neither of us has ever bothered to shiny hunt in our entire history with the series (I've been playing since Blue, he's been playing since Sapphire) so these are our first shinies.

I probably won't bother shiny hunting until I get the shiny charm, but it's nice to know shinies are so much easier to get than they used to be back in the day. I know that'll bug some people, because the fact that they're less rare means that more people ALSO have shinies than before. But Pokemon is a game that's partly about collecting things. If people want to collect shinies, it shouldn't feel nearly impossible to get even 1, like it did in the old days.

That's actually not true. The odds are confirmed to be the same as in XYORAS.

So does anything become of the empty plots on each island?

I was wondering this as well?

A guy mentions its a 1-in-4000 chance at one point, so I disagree. It's still the same.

BlitzGirl41

I have to say that I am quite disappointed with the clothing selection for our characters. It feels far more limited compared to X/Y's customization. Female characters can't even get dresses, even though NPCs wear them. Are there possibly any shops I am missing, or are there post-game options?

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
What's the deal with Resolution Cave? I heard one of its floors looks eerily similar to that one floor where we catch Zygarde in Terminus Cave in X/Y. Also, the two caves have eerily similar names in Japanese as well. Is it related to Zygarde and Kalos somehow?

So does anything become of the empty plots on each island?

In the end, well...no. Personally, though, I think - and the general consensus seems to be - that these could be potential Gym/trial locations for any future potential return to Alola, as soon or as far off as they may be.

What's the deal with Resolution Cave? I heard one of its floors looks eerily similar to that one floor where we catch Zygarde in Terminus Cave in X/Y. Also, the two caves have eerily similar names in Japanese as well. Is it related to Zygarde and Kalos somehow?

Personally I haven't got there myself, but I have heard about this. To add some other stuff to the mix, there's the Zygarde 50% motif in Malie Garden in Malie City on Akala Islans. The game text seems to nod towards this city being constructed by Johto and Kanto natives who arrived in Alola, to make it even more confusing. Just why oh why is Zygarde so heavily featured, yet so heavily underused? Hmm...

EDIT: huh, just read the Malie City sign again, which says it is "a paradise for perambulation", which means a paradise in which "to walk about/traverse". Upon further reading into the word, in traditional English Law it is used to "determine the bounds of a legal area". Perhaps the bounds of Zygarde and its traversing nature? It being there in Alola during the time of the game can be argued to make sense - world protection would mean protection for Kalos, but why would it have been around as long ago as the inception of Alola? Unless, perhaps, AZ played a hand in this...

Last edited:

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I have to say that I am quite disappointed with the clothing selection for our characters. It feels far more limited compared to X/Y's customization. Female characters can't even get dresses, even though NPCs wear them. Are there possibly any shops I am missing, or are there post-game options?
Depends. What point in the game are you at now?

This is a random and Irrelevant fact, but I named my Delcatty Mina in ORAS. Lo and behold, we get a trainer with the same name in SM.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
So after completing the game.......Kanto must be coming soon, either in the next version or if its doing a BW2 and we get sequals, Lillie heading off to Kanto, Hau asking if its far away because he's going there after the Battle Tree.

If they do come out on the Switch, I'd like to see Kanto included, an updated one, with a new gym leader in Vermillion. The gym leaders older, possibly Blaine passing away depending on how old he is. There were so many hints that it seems a waste to not visit it this generation.

So after completing the game.......Kanto must be coming soon, either in the next version or if its doing a BW2 and we get sequals, Lillie heading off to Kanto, Hau asking if its far away because he's going there after the Battle Tree.

If they do come out on the Switch, I'd like to see Kanto included, an updated one, with a new gym leader in Vermillion. The gym leaders older, possibly Blaine passing away depending on how old he is. There were so many hints that it seems a waste to not visit it this generation.

Well, seeing as SM have placeholder dates for events up to 2021, which would be the 25th Anniversary of the franchise, I can see this entire generation being a celebration as opposed to just SM. I certainly think it leaves us is in a weird situation as fans, and I've personally been wanting a Kanto sequel set after the events of GSC/HGSS since word got out that a 20th Anniversary game could be on the cards. Other than the hints towards Kanto though, there also seem to be many towards Sinnoh that I think should not go unnoticed, along with potential for a return to Alola (Stars?) at some point.

Whatever they choose to do, I'm more than up for it!

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Well, seeing as SM have placeholder dates for events up to 2021, which would be the 25th Anniversary of the franchise, I can see this entire generation being a celebration as opposed to just SM. I certainly think it leaves us is in a weird situation as fans, and I've personally been wanting a Kanto sequel set after the events of GSC/HGSS since word got out that a 20th Anniversary game could be on the cards. Other than the hints towards Kanto though, there also seem to be many towards Sinnoh that I think should not go unnoticed, along with potential for a return to Alola (Stars?) at some point.

Whatever they choose to do, I'm more than up for it!

Anyone got a list of hints?
I would love to see the hints to my favourite generation summed up?

LoveMcQueen5683

In the end, well...no. Personally, though, I think - and the general consensus seems to be - that these could be potential Gym/trial locations for any future potential return to Alola, as soon or as far off as they may be.

Personally I haven't got there myself, but I have heard about this. To add some other stuff to the mix, there's the Zygarde 50% motif in Malie Garden in Malie City on Akala Islans. The game text seems to nod towards this city being constructed by Johto and Kanto natives who arrived in Alola, to make it even more confusing. Just why oh why is Zygarde so heavily featured, yet so heavily underused? Hmm...

EDIT: huh, just read the Malie City sign again, which says it is "a paradise for perambulation", which means a paradise in which "to walk about/traverse". Upon further reading into the word, in traditional English Law it is used to "determine the bounds of a legal area". Perhaps the bounds of Zygarde and its traversing nature? It being there in Alola during the time of the game can be argued to make sense - world protection would mean protection for Kalos, but why would it have been around as long ago as the inception of Alola? Unless, perhaps, AZ played a hand in this...

The pond at Maile looks more like Gyarados to me

Status
Not open for further replies.