• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
Yeah, that's one major exception I didn't really think about. Is it explained in-game how Cosmog #2 came to be, or is it just kinda there?

You travel to the alternate 'Moon' world to get it, so basically it's still just one Cosmog per ingame universe.

But even if that weren't the case, they are said to be ultra beasts and there are multiple of them in the ultra space.

goodpeople25

You travel to the alternate 'Moon' world to get it, so basically it's still just one Cosmog per ingame universe.

But even if that weren't the case, they are said to be ultra beasts and there are multiple of them in the ultra space.
Yes you do, but
The opposite legend seemingly appears when you do, so it dosen't seem to be that's universe's singular cosmog. The backstory also seems to point towards more than one,
How a cosmog appears might, just might have to do with having both legends there and some info in thier dex entries

ZPM

If I start using Pokemon Refresh on my Mons but then start to slack off using it, will there be any negative consequences to doing so?

Hello

I apologize in advance as Im kind of a noob and havent played these games since gen3 so its been a while. I wasnt sure where to post this either. Here goes

Im really hoping to get a water stone really soon. I just finished the first island trials (Melemele island) and currently exploring hidden areas with tauros charge. Im really excited to have a vaporeon on my team as its my favorite one (I dont play competitive battle yet i just use the ones I like). As I understand I can get eevee on route 4 which is coming up soon but according to a google search I cant get a water stone until later on the next island in Konikoni city (pretty sure thats not till later anyways towards end of second island). I just dont want to wait too long to evolve eevee or else it will miss out on learning water moves. Is it possible for someone to trade with me any ol pokemon holding a waterstone? I actaully dont even know how trading works either haha..i can trade back something that is accesible to me in the first island if thats useful to anyone. Again Im sorry if this is a dumb request/question. Please dont yell at me haha.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Flight location density isn't really a good marker at all when it comes to how big/amount of content an island has or how well it used the space though, the fly locations go alot more by the individual locations than the bigger picture of the island. You'll notice a bunch of fly spots are placed right next to each other as to be almost completely redundant and most follow a specification that also dosen't necessarily amount to much when looking at the island as a whole.

Pokemon centers, trials site and ruin/legendary locations are the ones with a clear pattern then a few locations with post game value (the two BP facilities and the breeding place) then some other routes/buildings (those ones do have more significance in this matter) To go into the flight densitiy of Akala it has the most trial sites, 2 post game locations and I'd say the biggest issue with redundant fly spots. (Royal avenue is a big stickout)

I know it isn't, but it does correlate decently well to the events that happen in each island. Ula'ula has fewer trials than Akala though, as well as locations like the power plant and Tapu Village that don't seem to serve any purpose. Most of the mountainous area is also inaccessible, with the central area of the island consisting only of Hakulani Observatory and the path leading up to it, and the Pokémon League and the path leading up to it. Most of Ula'ula's events and population are concentrated around the outer rim of the island, and I would've liked to see the inner areas explored more as with the other three islands.

I know what you mean. It's refreshing to have a game with a bit of challenge after the cakewalks that were ORAS and XY. It's nothing like SS and HG were, but it was eerily fun to be struggling on Totem Lurantis and Mimikyu.

And not with Wishiwashi? My Brionne just learned Encore right before the trial, and even using it to lock Wishiwashi into using Leer, I STILL struggled a bunch with it. Thanks to Alomomola, I ran out of PP for Encore and had to fight it normally.

I love how you capture the gods of these islanders, and not single one of them cares or panics.

Unless there's multiple.

What I find utterly bizarre is that Lillie, of all people, talks the hero into sneaking out and capturing Melemele's protector. For someone who cares so much about Pokémon not getting hurt and who studied Alolan lore and history, it feels out of character.

Then again, Tapu Koko came over willingly to get captured. So who knows? At the very least, they got a new defender from the Ultra Beasts.

I think there are. I mean why else would Arceus and the Creation Trio being captured not destroy all reality as we know it? There would be nothing to keep time and space from falling apart.

There is a wild guess I found on TV Tropes in that what you're capturing are not the Legendary Pokémon themselves, but their human realm avatars they created for the purpose of allowing trainers to use them. I'm not sure how defendable that position is, but it's an interesting thought.

The only Legendary Pokémon I know are canonically caught are Palkia or Dialga, Reshiram or Zekrom, Xerneas or Yveltal, Rayquaza (Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire only), Nebby, and the Ultra Beasts (if you count them under Legendary Pokémon). Maybe Latias or Latios in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire too. But since you continue to see most of the other Legendary Pokémon, my personal guess is that canonically, they are not caught, or they eventually free themselves and go back to their duties. Even the Tapus are all optional; you can choose to knock out Tapu Koko in the ending.

Yeah, that's one major exception I didn't really think about. Is it explained in-game how Cosmog #2 came to be, or is it just kinda there?

When you go to the Lake of the Moone/Sunne in the alternate world, the other version's Legendary appears there and interacts with your version's Legendary. The other version's Legendary wanders off, and a Cosmog appears on the pedestal at Level 5. My impression out of that cutscene is that the Cosmog that appears is the child of that Solgaleo and that Lunala.

Hey everyone!

I have a question about breeding. I have a 4IV Smeargle and 4IV vulpix and I'm trying to get good IVs on the vulpixs but every hatches one has really bad IVs, like two max. I'm using the destiny knot so what's going wrong? Did I miss something? Why are vulpxi so bad?

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Hey everyone!

I have a question about breeding. I have a 4IV Smeargle and 4IV vulpix and I'm trying to get good IVs on the vulpixs but every hatches one has really bad IVs, like two max. I'm using the destiny knot so what's going wrong? Did I miss something? Why are vulpxi so bad?

You're doing nothing wrong from the looks of it. You are just having bad luck on which IVs get passed down.

Akashin

Hey everyone!

Luck, luck and more luck. The Destiny Knot picks five IVs at random from either Pokemon, so there's no guarantee the babies will always end up good.

gliscor&yanmega

anyone know why there's no national pokedex in the game? not that it bothers me, but i was just wondering.

also i loved the ending scenes/credits for this game, almost teared up from it. alola region is definitely my favorite region.
No reason given far as I know.
There will be one once Poke Bank gets updated, but not sure if that is for Poke Bank itself or it unlocks the National Dex, seems like the former but hope for the latter.

It's a little annoying seeing some Pokemon without a number and it'll only be worse once you can transfer. But at least I already have all the Pokemon organized in ORAS based on dex number.

They may have wanted to do something different.

BlazingRagnarok

Hey everyone!

That's part of breeding. I'll throw some very rough odds your way to know what you're looking at. Breeding two 6IV pokemon with the destiny knot has a 1/32 chance to make a 6IV baby and a 1/6 chance for an imperfect IV in a given stat. Breeding two 5IV parents with their imperfect in the same stat has a roughly 1/6 chance to be 5IV (plus the odds of rolling a natural perfect), but if their imperfect stats are in different spots or one parent is 4IV the chance for a 5IV with a given imperfect drops to roughly 1/12 (excluding natural 31s).

For your two 4IV parents we can either assume they line up with perfects in all stats between the two, one imperfect between the two, or two imperfect between the two. The latter requires a natural 31 to make a 5IV baby, so I won't focus on that. For the first scenario, there will be two overlapping stats and four non-overlapping stats. If a non-overlapping stat is imperfect (2/3 chance), that guarantees 2 perfects, plus 3 stats that each have a 1/2 chance to be perfect (1/8 chance for 3 hits), which makes a 1/12 chance via that route. If an overlapping stat is imperfect (1/3 chance), that guarantees 1 perfect, plus 4 stats that each have a 1/2 chance to be perfect (1/16 chance for 3 hits), which makes a 1/48 chance via that route. Add the routes together, and we get a 5/48, or around 10% chance, of a 5IV baby, not accounting for natural perfects.

In the second scenario, in which 1 stat does not have a perfect between the parents, there are 3 overlapping stats and 2 non-overlapping stats. This scenario needs the unneeded IV to be the one left out by the destiny knot, which occurs 1/6 of the time. When that happens, we have 3 guaranteed perfects and 2 with a 1/2 chance (1/4 for 2 hits), which makes a 1/24 chance, or 4%, of a 5IV baby, not accounting for natural 31s. This makes the first scenario look a lot better, as long as you don't care where your 5 IVs are. If you do care, the second scenario gives you better odds, as trying a create the second scenario's results with the first's parents would make odds more akin to breeding 4IV and 3IV parents.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
Hello

I apologize in advance as Im kind of a noob and havent played these games since gen3 so its been a while. I wasnt sure where to post this either. Here goes

Im really hoping to get a water stone really soon. I just finished the first island trials (Melemele island) and currently exploring hidden areas with tauros charge. Im really excited to have a vaporeon on my team as its my favorite one (I dont play competitive battle yet i just use the ones I like). As I understand I can get eevee on route 4 which is coming up soon but according to a google search I cant get a water stone until later on the next island in Konikoni city (pretty sure thats not till later anyways towards end of second island). I just dont want to wait too long to evolve eevee or else it will miss out on learning water moves. Is it possible for someone to trade with me any ol pokemon holding a waterstone? I actaully dont even know how trading works either haha..i can trade back something that is accesible to me in the first island if thats useful to anyone. Again Im sorry if this is a dumb request/question. Please dont yell at me haha.

You can buy evolution stones at Konikoni City, particularly the Fire, Water and Thunder ones. No need to trade one over.

goodpeople25

Uh yeah he says he's aware of that (well maybe not that's it's through a shop) but that he dosen't want to evolve then in fear of missing water moves (and it's a credible fear, in this case water pulse is the best by level up till lvl 37, and it's gotten at lvl 17) he may not be aware of it auto learning water gun since evolution moves is a new mechanic but it's still just water gun.

But for that poster you may want to get tm 55 Scald , which as far as I can tell should be available for you at brooklet hill.

Wryteous

Rogue Trainer
One thing I'd like to know before touching the battle tree- does it have the same programming as the battle maison where the opponents are made to dominate your team after a few rounds?
It was a hit and miss thing in XY. It made some challenges enjoyably strategic. But others were complete bull☆ and way too specific in their countermeasures to be called fun.

gliscor&yanmega

One thing I'd like to know before touching the battle tree- does it have the same programming as the battle maison where the opponents are made to dominate your team after a few rounds?
It was a hit and miss thing in XY. It made some challenges enjoyably strategic. But others were complete bull☆ and way too specific in their countermeasures to be called fun.

Not sure if it really is made to counter you or it's just a matter of the AI getting smarter and having better options(The latter is true regardless but not sure if there is anything that happens that makes a choice more likely based on your own performance). Regardless, every Battle Facility has always been like this since the introduction, although Maison I'm pretty sure was a little easier as for about the first 20 you went up against unevolved Pokemon, of course after that things got tougher(And to be fair, if you used unevolved Pokemon in those rounds it would probably be difficult as well).

When it comes down to it, the Battle Facilities are there for the challenge(Something people complain Pokemon lacks), you have to really come up with a good strategy in later rounds and also a little luck helps out too.

Uh yeah he says he's aware of that (well maybe not that's it's through a shop) but that he dosen't want to evolve then in fear of missing water moves (and it's a credible fear, in this case water pulse is the best by level up till lvl 37, and it's gotten at lvl 17) he may not be aware of it auto learning water gun since evolution moves is a new mechanic but it's still just water gun.

But for that poster you may want to get tm 55 Scald , which as far as I can tell should be available for you at brooklet hill.

Thanks! I didnt know it would autolearn water guns thats neat (but a crappy move). Yes i know i can buy one there I just want one sooner. Im new to this forum so Ill try the trade section. Also Im a female :)

Exsception

Born Completionist
In speaking of the Battle Tree, I'm furious right now. My brother and I got up to a 41-win streak with a practically unbeatable team, only to have everything ruined by a communication error. There's no doubt that we could get up that high again pretty easily with our team, but it just took so long that I don't feel like doing it again.

BlitzGirl41

Regarding the "alternate world", I noticed that it seems to be set 12 hours before/ahead of your version. To me, that seems like a really great way to try to catch Pokemon or evolve Pokemon that are only available at certain times of day, assuming you don't have the time to be active in the game during certain hours. I didn't stop to check if the portal still exists. If it does, then that's a very helpful tactic in my book.

Also, on a side-note, I just had to nickname the alternate world Cosmog "Nebby"! I'm eventually going to evolve it and use that to give my friend Lunala's info (he bought Sun).

willprogresivo

Creepy Uncle
I gotta admit, I was a little disappointed in the Champion Title challengers. I mean, I beat the E4 and I didn't think of rematching it after I finished exploring Poni Island. But by the time I went to rematch, I was already at levels >65... so the E4 and the challengers are just not-a-challenge to me now.

Also it doesn't help that if you lose to a challenger... they don't become actually champions. That's even worse than having to fight the "ex" champion in previous games when you were clearly the current champion...

BCVM22

To me, that seems like a really great way to try to catch Pokemon or evolve Pokemon that are only available at certain times of day, assuming you don't have the time to be active in the game during certain hours.

That's why it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.