• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
I am unable to find an official source that states "late January". Do you have one?
It was already mid-morning 16.1.17 at the time of my post. I'm just curious as to an official announcement. But as you said, they will probably give very little time between the announcement and then availability.

https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/816980371799756801

"に 2017 年 1 月下旬対応予定 !"
To be released at the end of January.

ebevan91

The wait for Bank is killing me. I like to play through each game a couple times before getting into breeding and battling, so I'm waiting to send all of my valuable things to Bank and start over.

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
IMO, lots of the cutscenes didn't add much to the characters, only reinforced already estabilished traits that have no relevance to the plot, such as Kukui making pokemon moves puns and Hau talking about malasadas.
Meanwhile we get like 1 or 2 cutscenes with Gladion and Lillie interacting after they encountered each other and none of their dialogue lasted longer than 15 seconds, even though they are supposed to be siblings who haven't seen each other for ages...
Yes, having cutscenes is necessary for a good story, but that doesn't mean the excess of it is good or that being succinct is bad.

^ THIS.

I would've cared a lot more for the characters of Sun and Moon if we didn't get a cutscene every few minutes or so. By the end I was like: "Yes, I know Hau, you love malasadas, you've been telling me about them every single time we've met. Please leave me alone!" the whole thing was handled poorly.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
^ THIS.

I would've cared a lot more for the characters of Sun and Moon if we didn't get a cutscene every few minutes or so. By the end I was like: "Yes, I know Hau, you love malasadas, you've been telling me about them every single time we've met. Please leave me alone!" the whole thing was handled poorly.

Ironically I still have no idea what malasadas are or what they even look like! I keep picturing them looking like misshapen blobs. Sort of like Ditto.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Before seeing for myself what they were, I always thought malasadas were going to be some kind of shake or beverage. But nope. They are some kind of fried bread type thing. Yuck-O! :(

nel3

Crimson Dragon
They're based off of a Hawaiian dish that's made of fried dough balls, a little bit like donuts. They're very popular in Hawaii.

though do the pokemon even eat them? i tried to feed some to my pkmn on a few occasions. they didnt eat them but i didnt really take their natures into account for certain malasadas so i just assumed they were items you could buy but not use in the game.

to take a line from homer: mmmmm dooonuts. lol so basically they are Hawaiian donuts.

though do the pokemon even eat them? i tried to feed some to my pkmn on a few occasions. they didnt eat them but i didnt really take their natures into account for certain malasadas so i just assumed they were items you could buy but not use in the game.

They heal every status condition the Pokemon may have. So the most likely case is that your Pokemon weren't afflicted with status when you tried.

V

Shiny Hunter
You don't need to have Team Red specifically to dye your clothes red. You just need to dye them with berries. If you have the required berries, you can dye your clothes with the color you desire. I don't know how the ranks affect it. I currently have Team Navy Blue ★★★★★ and I can dye Dark and Pastel colors using berries. Unfortunately, you cannot dye Bright colors through this method. Having a color-specific stall just saves you from the hassle of collecting berries. Correct me if I'm wrong with this

Ah, well in that case, I just need someone with a three-star dye stall period. I can only do pastel colors with my stand, even using berries. My goal is dark red. I have most of the berries needed, currently traversing the region to get more from under trees. I found this site which lists which berries make which colors if anyone needs it

nel3

Crimson Dragon
They heal every status condition the Pokemon may have. So the most likely case is that your Pokemon weren't afflicted with status when you tried.

ah, thats answers many questions i had about them. i always thought they were like pkblocks or something to increase happiness so i tried feeding them to pkmn without a status on them. though i'll stick to the traditional full heals, antidotes, burn heals etc. pkmn refresh was a thing for me before but now i just feed them 3 rainbow pattern beans for max happiness and leave 99% status heal to traditional items.

btw, i recently made friends with a member here to trade clothing items ie i wear this, they wear certain items and found some small tricks to get fashion items. you can conceivably get all of one category of items in a day providing you have an agreement with someone. if the shirt is chosen today, one can just purchase it from them and the person wearing the item swaps that one item for another t-shirt and you can still get the swapped out item. you'd just have to continue the process until all wanted tops are purchased. this likely only is limited to the daily RNG choice (ie midnight) so you could probably get more than a few items within a 24hr period. if the character has a drastic change in outfit during the 24hr period then the RNG choice seems to change at the same time. not sure how far you can push this but 1-2x a day is possible. obviously this does depend on the availability to meet up online but you can safely get many items from this method. i dont want to push it too far but i made good progress with my want list this way.

has anyone else noticed the other?? small details as far as clothing items selection go?

EDIT: there is only 1 thing that you should avoid with such a method for getting fashion items. dont completely remove the daily RNG chosen item to isolate the other items, it will revert to the previous day's choice and seems to remain there. i waited 3 days for the item to change but it only changed when they put the item back on or changed outfit again. the game doesnt seem to enjoy it when you remove the item it chose by RNG method. though this really only seems to involve headwear and socks as only they can be removed completely.

Last edited:

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
^ THIS.

This is exactly why I found Hau to be one of the worst Pokémon characters so far. He shows up so many times, yet in the end I know nearly nothing about him, except that he eats those damn malasadas for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and that he's on a quest to try every malasada recipe. Yeah, whatever, Hau. Good for you.

The only other thing I remember about him is that being the Kahuna's grandson(?) was hard on Hau, as people had high expectations of him and he couldn't live up to them. But the issue was just kinda dropped after it was mentioned.

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
This is exactly why I found Hau to be one of the worst Pokémon characters so far. He shows up so many times, yet in the end I know nearly nothing about him, except that he eats those damn malasadas for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and that he's on a quest to try every malasada recipe. Yeah, whatever, Hau. Good for you.

The only other thing I remember about him is that being the Kahuna's grandson(?) was hard on Hau, as people had high expectations of him and he couldn't live up to them. But the issue was just kinda dropped after it was mentioned.

You know I'm honestly surprised that Hau didn't end up getting a heart attack from eating all those things. They're fried dough, so wouldn't eating those every day for your meals be kinda devastating for your health? Idk.

I was intrigued by Hau being related to a Kahuna and how it would possibly affect his life and how others treat him. I'm kinda disappointed myself that they didn't focus on developing that instead of his quest for food.

Credit where credit is due, though. Lusamine towards the end made up for a lot of the underwhelming plot for me (even if Game Freak didn't have the guts to kill off a human character - c'mon, you've done it before with the ghost girl in B2/W2 and D/P/Pt).

Akashin

Yes he is Hala's grandson, but this issue wasn't dropped. When he wasn't screwing around talking about malasadas, his real goal was to surpass Hala's true strength (presumably for the reason you pointed out), and he brought this up relatively frequently. He does finally do so by post-game, at which point you become his new goal.

Crazedyanma

Cyclipse
Hmm, speaking of Hau, is it true that Lusamine had some kind of sick crush on him or what? Those cutscenes seemed to indicate there was something going on there. LOL

Akashin

Hmm, speaking of Hau, is it true that Lusamine had some kind of sick crush on him or something? Those cutscenes seemed to indicate there was something going on there. LOL

What? No. She spoke kindly to you and Hau, which Gladion later clarified as being the way she speaks to anybody she actually doesn't remotely care about.

Crazedyanma

Cyclipse
What? No. She spoke kindly to you and Hau, which Gladion later clarified as being the way she speaks to anybody she actually doesn't remotely care about.

Perhaps you're ultimately right about her not truly caring for anyone except Nihilego, though I think it's worth bearing in mind it's possible given she froze pokemon test subjects and designed Lillie's outfit to suit her obsession with said ultra beast. And from what I observed in those cutscenes, it seems she took a special liking to Hau (mainly because he complimented her own beauty).

I suppose it's only a theory, I just think she's sufficiently psychotic to be suited for such a role. :p

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Hau honestly suffers quite a bit from Show, don't Tell. Gladion tells us that he has insecurities around his relationship with his grandfather, but we never see that type of relationship shown between the characters, he's supposed to want to surpass his grandfather, but we don't see him make the progression to surpassing Hala, and he's supposed to have taken Lillie getting stolen away pretty hard, but it doesn't visibly affect his mood or behavior throughout the main event and him taking the loss seriously is subtle at best. The fact that we also don't get to see him beat Hala is also something I think is a missed opportunity as I think having that moment in the game would've meant a lot for the character and we could've seen how that success affects him as a character, but we never get that and the only time that really is alluded to is a line from Hau at the league that you may very well not see if you don't rematch the Elite Four. Contrast that to Lillie, who's relationship with her mother is given more onscreen depth and we see the character change from being under her mother's thumb to actually calling her out for her own flaws and behavior.

Admittedly, this is a fault of Pokémon's storytelling in general as they rarely give that type of focus to other characters aside from the protagonist, but I think Hau did suffer for it as his good and interesting traits aren't given as much time and focus to really be strong as a character. I don't think he's terrible, but I do feel of the main characters, he has the a lot about him that is underdeveloped and underutilized.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Hau honestly suffers quite a bit from Show, don't Tell. Gladion tells us that he has insecurities around his relationship with his grandfather, but we never see that type of relationship shown between the characters, he's supposed to want to surpass his grandfather, but we don't see him make the progression to surpassing Hala, and he's supposed to have taken Lillie getting stolen away pretty hard, but it doesn't visibly affect his mood or behavior throughout the main event and him taking the loss seriously is subtle at best. The fact that we also don't get to see him beat Hala is also something I think is a missed opportunity as I think having that moment in the game would've meant a lot for the character and we could've seen how that success affects him as a character, but we never get that and the only time that really is alluded to is a line from Hau at the league that you may very well not see if you don't rematch the Elite Four. Contrast that to Lillie, who's relationship with her mother is given more onscreen depth and we see the character change from being under her mother's thumb to actually calling her out for her own flaws and behavior.

Admittedly, this is a fault of Pokémon's storytelling in general as they rarely give that type of focus to other characters aside from the protagonist, but I think Hau did suffer for it as his good and interesting traits aren't given as much time and focus to really be strong as a character. I don't think he's terrible, but I do feel of the main characters, he has the a lot about him that is underdeveloped and underutilized.

I think you switched Hau and Gladion.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.