• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokémon Sun and Moon - General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man Celesteela's value on the GTS compared to its counterpart Buzzwole (it's not Kartana btw) is astonishing!

Is there a reason for its high demand? I've heard it's really good.

Celesteela can learn Heavy Slam, and seeing as it's the joint-heaviest Pokemon in the game, that's some serious damage.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Celesteela is a true jack of all stats and can actually become a descent master on one side of its stats while still keeping up a respectable amount of points on the other stats. It can be set up to answer anything in the game.

wow just checked out it's stats, which I hadn't looked at before, and wow that's basically an event legendary minus the speed... give and take a few points off for the other stats. I'm confused why it learns so many grass moves yet it's a rocketship and burns forests down... does it replant them too or something!? And the more you knock out the higherpower it gets.. like what!

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Man Celesteela's value on the GTS compared to its counterpart Buzzwole (it's not Kartana btw) is astonishing!

Is there a reason for its high demand? I've heard it's really good.

As well as things people have already said, it's a version exclusive too, which ups demand a bit more. The fact it's a popular competitive choice has also really increased its demand.

Also, I'd say it and Kartana are counterparts in terms of themes. They're both Japanese themed, they both have stark contrasts and they're both Steel types.

wow just checked out it's stats, which I hadn't looked at before, and wow that's basically an event legendary minus the speed... give and take a few points off for the other stats. I'm confused why it learns so many grass moves yet it's a rocketship and burns forests down... does it replant them too or something!? And the more you knock out the higherpower it gets.. like what!

I've mentioned it before, but I'll do it again. Celesteela is very likely based on Japanese folklore, specifically the story "The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter". This is likely the reason why it learns so many Grass moves, because Bamboo is a type of plant. It's also based on the Kaguya space shuttle, which explains the rocket aspects.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
As well as things people have already said, it's a version exclusive too, which ups demand a bit more. The fact it's a popular competitive choice has also really increased its demand.

Also, I'd say it and Kartana are counterparts in terms of themes. They're both Japanese themed, they both have stark contrasts and they're both Steel types.

I've mentioned it before, but I'll do it again. Celesteela is very likely based on Japanese folklore, specifically the story "The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter". This is likely the reason why it learns so many Grass moves, because Bamboo is a type of plant. It's also based on the Kaguya space shuttle, which explains the rocket aspects.

so he learns moves using the power of the forest due to being based on a story of a bamboo cutter? how ironic! Wouldn't the katana one be based on the bamboo cutter??

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Generally, it's the lack of the ability to rank up your facilities, the limited mini-games (especially since only a few give out a good amount of FC, so most spam those), the exclusivity of the facilities between versions, and the lack of ease of the online features for trading and battling with friends. The fact that some of these flaws weren't present in its previous generational counterparts (Join Avenue and PSS) has also been a negative point some have held against it since they see Festival Plaza as a step back from both.

the missions are what they can be but i find the biggest issue with the plaza is interacting with friends. the gen6 PSS system was great and they threw it out for this. i do miss the EV bag/balloon training though the right plaza stalls do make for a decent replacement. i can understand the version exclusive stalls but its still annoying.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Why don't you think Kartana is Celesteela's counterpart, and why would Buzzwole be it's counterpart instead? Both Celesteela and Kartana are known as UB-04, they're both Steel-Types, and both have Japanese influences. Buzzwole, on the other hand, is UB-02, a Bug/Fighting-Type, and appears during the game's main story, all traits shared with Phermosa.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
so he learns moves using the power of the forest due to being based on a story of a bamboo cutter? how ironic! Wouldn't the katana one be based on the bamboo cutter??

Na.

Kartana is more of a living origami. If you look at its Japanese name (Kamitsurugi), it's also a pun, which can mean paper sword or divine sword.

Celesteela on the other hand is almost certainly based on the story. The story goes that a couple are cutting bamboo one day when they find a baby girl inside some bamboo and name her Kaguya (Funny, because Celesteela's Japanese name is Tekkaguya, which is a combo of Tekka meaning gunfire and Kaguya as in the name of the girl or the space shuttle). She is raised by them, but eventually she has to return to her home on the Moon. As I mentioned earlier, there is also a Japanese space shuttle named Kaguya, which likely influenced the rocket part of its design.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
As or glitches, the main one I've encountered is that missions hosted by others don't always appear. If you spam the X button on the join missions page sometimes suddenly a mission appears that has already been going on for over a minute. Not sure if it's a glitch or the servers GameFreak uses are simply too slow to keep up, but it is frustrating.

Another thing I find annoying is how the GTS works. You can't filter it well enough, and it doesn't have sufficient options. You can't for example filter on ability, IV's, or moves, or even see those in advance. If I want to put up a pokémon, say Lapras, on the GTS I also don't have an option to simply search the GTS for people looking for a Lapras and seeing what they're offering for it. I was hoping they had at least a few more options developed after 3 previous generations of global trading to make it a bit more user-friendly.

Yep. I'm constantly having this issue as well. I'm not sure if they haven't figured out a way to fix the Festival Plaza issues or if they simply don't care enough, like because it seems that Festival Plaza generally isn't a very well-received feature.

As it goes for GTS, I'm always now running into the issue of depositing something and it not appearing in the listings. (And yes I am checking ANOTHER PERSON's game to see if it is.)

the missions are what they can be but i find the biggest issue with the plaza is interacting with friends. the gen6 PSS system was great and they threw it out for this. i do miss the EV bag/balloon training though the right plaza stalls do make for a decent replacement. i can understand the version exclusive stalls but its still annoying.

What issues are you experiencing? I know there had been an issue registering VIPs, but I haven't been having that problem lately. I have 36 VIPs now.

I miss the PSS system too because I could have that available while in the actual story mode. But I must admit that I can personally forgive them for it since I'm addicted to Festival Plaza despite it's still many glitches.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Na.

Kartana is more of a living origami. If you look at its Japanese name (Kamitsurugi), it's also a pun, which can mean paper sword or divine sword.

Celesteela on the other hand is almost certainly based on the story. The story goes that a couple are cutting bamboo one day when they find a baby girl inside some bamboo and name her Kaguya (Funny, because Celesteela's Japanese name is Tekkaguya, which is a combo of Tekka meaning gunfire and Kaguya as in the name of the girl or the space shuttle). She is raised by them, but eventually she has to return to her home on the Moon. As I mentioned earlier, there is also a Japanese space shuttle named Kaguya, which likely influenced the rocket part of its design.

oh yeah I've seen that story on the threads here, didn't realize they were bamboo cutter parents. I personally don't think it was fitting to give Celesteela grass type moves like that still, even if it is based on a moon baby that was found in a bamboo forest... :p

nel3

Crimson Dragon
What issues are you experiencing? I know there had been an issue registering VIPs, but I haven't been having that problem lately. I have 36 VIPs now.

I miss the PSS system too because I could have that available while in the actual story mode. But I must admit that I can personally forgive them for it since I'm addicted to Festival Plaza despite it's still many glitches.

its mostly the registration failures and not being able to see the missions at times. not sure how much of it is due to the slower 3ds. i also have become attached to the festival plaza too, it does a good job to EV train the pkmn in gen7.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
Why don't you think Kartana is Celesteela's counterpart, and why would Buzzwole be it's counterpart instead? Both Celesteela and Kartana are known as UB-04, they're both Steel-Types, and both have Japanese influences. Buzzwole, on the other hand, is UB-02, a Bug/Fighting-Type, and appears during the game's main story, all traits shared with Phermosa.

They're version counterparts in the sense that in Sun you get 2x Buzzwole and 4x Kartana, while in Moon you get 2x Celesteela and 4x Pheromosa. But design-wise Celesteela and Kartana, and Pheromosa and Buzzwole go together.

goodpeople25

I wouldn't even go as far as version counterparts for buzzwole/celestella and perhomosa/kartana, To make up a term I'd say trading counterparts, that's really the only place the distinction really came up for me. (You catch more and less of one ingame sure but to me that's a more a difference to compare between the bug and steel pairs)

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
They're version counterparts in the sense that in Sun you get 2x Buzzwole and 4x Kartana, while in Moon you get 2x Celesteela and 4x Pheromosa. But design-wise Celesteela and Kartana, and Pheromosa and Buzzwole go together.

Really, that's odd. Why are they different? Even with that though, it doesn't seem right to say that Celesteela's counterpart is Buzzwole.

Akashin

Really, that's odd. Why are they different? Even with that though, it doesn't seem right to say that Celesteela's counterpart is Buzzwole.

Yeah, it makes far more sense for the UBs sharing number designations to be the counterparts. Not to mention that pre-release clearly painted Buzzwole and Pheromosa as counterparts, which leaves Celesteela and Kartana.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
is there even a battle box in sun/moon? i sure do miss that special box we had in gen6. ive received a few battle challenges but was forced to turn them down as i dont keep too many pkmn on me that can form a battle team. i understand there's away to register your team but i just dont know how to do it.

FowTech95

Random Passerby
is there even a battle box in sun/moon? i sure do miss that special box we had in gen6. ive received a few battle challenges but was forced to turn them down as i dont keep too many pkmn on me that can form a battle team. i understand there's away to register your team but i just dont know how to do it.

There is a third tab on top of the touch screen where the Party UI changes into the Battle Teams UI. Through this, you can create multiple teams from your Box without actually moving them. The downside to this is that you cannot move those Pokémon to train in Evelup or Avue.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.

Just access the PC and touch one of the tabs on the top-right corner of the touch screen.

goodpeople25

To guess, mainly to be a difference to the UB questline between versions. Also a few other minor things that could apply: Preventing UB 02 or UB 04 from having more or less prominence then intended, Suggesting a bit of flavour by having the smaller and more agile of the pairs attack in greater numbers (ie a swarm, or heck maybe it was to represent how many could come through a portal) and of course vice-versa (I've already seen comments on the 30 foot celestellas running around and not being noticed, no need to double their numbers) and if you average it out it makes a neat 1-3-2-3-1 and while I wouldn't focus on the order alone it might play into giving appropriate prominence for the other UBs as well.

And as I posted before while I don't consider them as counterparts in the typical pokemon sense of the word, they are in a sense when it comes to trading (particularly when it comes to the GTS) which is where this seemed to have first come up here anyway.

Last edited:

nel3

Crimson Dragon
There is a third tab on top of the touch screen where the Party UI changes into the Battle Teams UI. Through this, you can create multiple teams from your Box without actually moving them. The downside to this is that you cannot move those Pokémon to train in Evelup or Avue.

Just access the PC and touch one of the tabs on the top-right corner of the touch screen.

thank you for the replies. i havent played around with the pokemon center box functions too much. looks like there's something i will need to do now. i got no problems to move them out of the box into pk pelago. i just use them for ingame battles to levle up rather than the slower method in PKpelago. can i put back my lucky egg on talonflame? i got it only at lvl 50 and do want to raise it more. im just not sure if the registration updates itself to include lucky egg should it be in my party to lvl up.

Last edited:

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
I wouldn't even go as far as version counterparts for buzzwole/celestella and perhomosa/kartana, To make up a term I'd say trading counterparts, that's really the only place the distinction really came up for me. (You catch more and less of one ingame sure but to me that's a more a difference to compare between the bug and steel pairs)
Yeah, trading counterparts in a better way to put it. That's what I was thinking.

I dunno. I just assumed that you get 4x Buzzwole/Pheromosa and 2x Kartana/Celesteela. I only looked it up after I saw FlorgesPower2's post and found it odd that that they called Celesteela and Buzzwole "counterparts".

Status
Not open for further replies.